All 14 Defendants in Tak Bai Massacre Cases Flee Country, Senate Committee Reports

Georgealbert

IMG_7182.jpeg

According to police reports submitted to the Senate committee on public participation, human rights, and consumer protection, all 14 defendants and suspects involved in the two Tak Bai massacre cases have left Thailand. The committee, chaired by Senator Angkhana Neelapaijit, a prominent human rights defender, received the update as both cases near their expiration on Friday, October 25.

Among the high-profile figures is Gen. Pisarn Wattanawongkiri, former Fourth Army Region commander and a former party-list MP of the ruling party, who is believed to have fled to Tokyo. Another suspect is reportedly in London. The remaining 12 are thought to have crossed into neighboring countries, including Laos, via unofficial routes.

The Tak Bai massacre, which occurred in 2004, remains a deeply controversial event in Thailand’s history, sparking long-standing calls for justice and accountability. The apparent flight of the defendants just before the cases expire raises further concerns over impunity in human rights cases in the country.

This development marks a significant setback for victims and human rights groups who have sought legal resolution for nearly two decades.

File picture for reference only.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-23

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

image.png

• Sad 2

Just a dog and poney show.

If the authorities were serious about finally bringing these people to justice they would trace and seize all their assets in Thailand. Land,  homes ,cars etc.

As it is they will just return after the statute of limitations and get on with their lives.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Denim said:

Just a dog and poney show.

If the authorities were serious about finally bringing these people to justice they would trace and seize all their assets in Thailand. Land,  homes ,cars etc.

As it is they will just return after the statute of limitations and get on with their lives.

Seize their assets, come on now - that's a bit over the top, wouldn't want to upset their mates, would they? 

A (nother) damning  indictment of the oxymoronic Thai Justice system!  The statute of limitations expires TOMORROW so all 14 will return by the weekend; home free.

Edited by mikebell
rubbish at number memory.
  • Agree 1

What's with this Statute of Limitations anyway? Why does such a law exist for major alleged criminal offences? I know I should say "Rescind it now" but that doesn't play to the advantage of the rich and powerful, who seem to be major beneficiaries of this 'get out', does it, so will never happen.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, mikebell said:

A (nother) damning  indictment of the oxymoronic Thai Justice system!  The statute of limitations expires TOMORROW so all 18 will return by the weekend; home free.

14 little pigs went to another country. 4 new ones were born. Back came 18 little pigs.

Ok that was a new one. 😉 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

14 little pigs went to another country. 4 new ones were born. Back came 18 little pigs.

Ok that was a new one. 😉 

I was an English teacher so my number memory is rubbish.  I've now corrected it.

19 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I was an English teacher so my number memory is rubbish.  I've now corrected it.

Revoke their passportsand, cancel, their pensions and close their bank accounts.

Edited by watchcat
  • Agree 1

Don't forget those who were in-charge of the country and the Military at the time - these ar$e holes are just if not than responsible for this appalling event and what followed by allowing it to be dismissed as a trifling non-event and swept under the carpet. 

Just another case of letting the  perpertrater/s escape the justice that is due to them.