Doctors expensive

georgegeorgia

20 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I can't believe the cost of seeing a Doctor here in Pattaya 

One (farang) doctor I saw here ,I was in his room 3 minutes before he said have a blood test

Total cost 2400 baht ($110 Australian dollars)

I could of seen a (paid) $40  doctor in Australia 3 times for that price or a free Medicare doctor.

He said come back tommrrw for your results 

I went back ,nothing wrong, he said but  then  checked my blood pressure 

Your blood pressure is high but don't worry I can sell you Amlodipone at 800 baht for 30 caps 

700 baht fee today they said on walking out to reception ,I was there 5 minutes plus your medication 

I said forget the medication!!

I said I only came for the results you could of emailed me !

300 baht to email results they said

These doctors are charging Western rates 

Not even a doctor in Australia charges $110 for 5 minutes (2400b)

I will stick with the free blood tests in Australia!! 

You wouldn't want to be sick here 

I'm going !!!

I was just quoted $25,000 Cdn funds to remove a kidney stone at a hospital in Sri Racha.  That was the minimum price.  The private health sector in Thailand is ridiculous.  Thieves, all of them in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Randy99 said:

I was just quoted $25,000 Cdn funds to remove a kidney stone at a hospital in Sri Racha.  That was the minimum price.  The private health sector in Thailand is ridiculous.  Thieves, all of them in my opinion.

Get a quote at a public hospital.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

One (farang) doctor I saw here ,I was in his room 3 minutes before he said have a blood test

I could of seen a (paid) $40  doctor in Australia 3 times for that price or a free Medicare doctor.

Your blood pressure is high but don't worry I can sell you Amlodipone at 800 baht for 30 caps 

700 baht fee today they said on walking out to reception ,I was there 5 minutes plus your medication 

I'm going !!!

Your last 2 words are so sweet to hear  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm going !!!

Why are you going to a farang doctor?  Go to a Thai doctor and stay away from overpriced private hospitals like Bangkok Hospital.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Why are you going to a farang doctor?  Go to a Thai doctor and stay away from overpriced private hospitals like Bangkok Hospital.

I once went to a Thai doctor , she left the door open and there was no privacy as I was getting a prostate exam ,she wore her night slippers in the surgery 

I looked up from the table to see 5 old men in the waiting room staring at me and that's no BS 

It was in Jomtien 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I once went to a Thai doctor , she left the door open and there was no privacy as I was getting a prostate exam ,she wore her night slippers in the surgery 

I looked up from the table to see 5 old men in the waiting room staring at me and that's no BS 

It was in Jomtien 

Was it in Boyz Town? Probably liked the look of your butt. 😆

I was laughing a lot when I read your post.

If you can get health care for free in AUS, why you aren't there?

If you go for public hospitals here you would pay around 1000 Bath only (in your case with blood count)

1 hour ago, Randy99 said:

Thats a rip off - Bumrungrad (which is arguably the Best Private Hospital in Thailand) is less than half that... 

3 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:
22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

One (farang) doctor I saw here

I am willing to be proved wrong, but I call total BS on this as foreign doctors are not permitted to service the public in Thailand.

That was my take on the story..   I've never seen a Non-Thai Doctor in Thailand as its a 'protected' profession / industry and Dr's can only practice medicine in Thailand if they studied Medicine in Thailand. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, jvs said:

I have heard many reasons why people go to Pattaya,going there to get your blood checked is a new one!

I just wonder what you will come up with next.

Maybe try a brain scan?

Needs one

2 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

I have attended the emergency department at Pattaya city hospital on soi Bukahao several times and was seen promptly and treated very professionally and amazed at the low cost.

It's a government hospital. My experience there has been dire. Wait in a queue. No doctor. Give up and leave. Ok, private will always cost a minimum of 1000 THB per visit, but you get seen almost immediately, comfortable surroundings, no stress. Buy your meds from Fascino.

I don't have OP insurance.

1 hour ago, Randy99 said:

Wow thats exxy.... cost me (my insurance) 2/3rds of that to remove a tumor and a chunk of my kidney in a private hospital in Sri Racha.

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That was my take on the story..   I've never seen a Non-Thai Doctor in Thailand as its a 'protected' profession / industry and Dr's can only practice medicine in Thailand if they studied Medicine in Thailand. 

A foreign doctor can practice in Thailand but they must have their medical qualifications recognized by the Thai Medical Council, pass the Thai Medical Licensing Examination, and get a work permit.

Cant really see a GP jumping through all those hoops to get a job paying feck all.

Edited by Ralf001

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same as lawyers. They can give advice in a legal firm but they can't act for you or defend you in court. I also call BS on this stupid story.

Regarding the point of the Op and comparison with costs back in Aus... I'll also draw comparisons with the UK.

Having suffered too many injuries in the past couple of years I've ended up having three operations. 

In Thailand was able to:

- Get a next day appointment

- Get a next day MRI with afternoon follow up for results

- Very quickly receive medical treatment (Operation - within 2-5 days in all cases)

This of course was costly: Arthroscopic (knee / ankle - Approx 330,000 to 450,000 baht in total each time - insurance covered this).

Conversely, in the UK (NHS), I know two people who waited months and months. 

- One who waited 8 months - in constant pain

- Another who waited 2 years - in terrible pain and struggled to walk

Thus: While the costs here are high, and increasing, access to great medical care is also outstanding.

Beyond considerations of timing and efficiency, another defining aspect of the medical industry here is the emphasis on thorough testing - if there is a test available, it will be administered. While we must exercise caution to avoid unnecessary procedures, this approach ensures comprehensive care. Conversely, in the UK, a potentially necessary test may sometimes be bypassed due to cost constraints or limited availability.

The only issue with the healthcare in Thailand that I have is the cost of insurance - as we get older, getting solid health insurance cover will become more and more expensive to the point of it being prohibitive. 

The public healthcare sector here is also good (in many hospitals, obviously poor in others), so its cheaper than private - but there is no 'national health care' for those of us living here full time which is a concern as we get older. 

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

AFAIK, there is a 'farang' doctor in Pattaya who is fully-registered with the authorities and legally-allowed to practice medicine.  Speaks Thai, English, German......

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

AFAIK, there is a 'farang' doctor in Pattaya who is fully-registered with the authorities and legally-allowed to practice medicine.  Speaks Thai, English, German......

Dr Olivier ?

image.png.14ac639580bba5a867383ac899e8a186.png

Edited by Ralf001

10 minutes ago, simon43 said:

[edit] - I think the 'Farang Dr' must have the following

He may not necessarily need to have studied medicine in Thailand to practice here, but a foreign Dr. would need to meet several requirements and go through a licensing process:

1. Recognition of Medical Degree:  medical degree abroad, it must be from a university recognised by the Medical Council of Thailand. Degrees from countries like the U.S., U.K., and certain other countries are commonly accepted.

2. Thai Medical Licensing Examination (TMLE): Foreign-trained doctors must pass the TMLE to receive a Thai medical license. This exam is conducted in Thai and covers medical knowledge, practical skills, and clinical applications.

3. Language Requirement: Since the TMLE and medical practice in Thailand are largely conducted in Thai, proficiency in the Thai language is essential. Some hospitals and clinics catering to foreigners may not require as high a level of Thai proficiency, but the licensing exam will still be in Thai.

4. Internship: In certain cases, foreign-trained doctors may be required to complete a period of internship at a Thai hospital to familiarise themselves with local medical practices and procedures.

5. Medical Council Registration: Once the TMLE is passed, a Dr must meet any additional internship requirements and must register with the Medical Council of Thailand to practice legally.

Edited by richard_smith237

42 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I am willing to be proved wrong, but I call total BS on this as foreign doctors are not permitted to service the public in Thailand.

You have missed out on the wisdom gene as you aged I see.

Nothing wrong with that old timer ,you live the best you can 

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You have missed out on the wisdom gene as you aged I see.

Nothing wrong with that old timer ,you live the best you can 

That's not a proper reply. Was the doctor a "farang", ie non Thai, or wasn't he? Better come clean gg. Or be reported for fake news.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Good Psychiatrists??

Very selective on which of my replies you respond to boyGee. No not required for pneumonia but some seriously good looking A&E nurses sucking all that bad goo outa me.! 😂

Edited by Olmate

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm going !!!

Good luck Georgina . Than we don't have to put up with your Nagging about everything. 🙏

Many foreigners do not know that they can use a Thai Military Hospital - slightly more expensive than govt civilian hospitals, way way way less than private hospitals. You must register and get a Hospital ID Card ( free ). Many doctors are US or UK trained - English spoken. You pay the same as Thai civilians using the military hospital. I do NOT know if private insurance accepted or if children can use.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

It's a government hospital. My experience there has been dire. Wait in a queue. No doctor. Give up and leave. Ok, private will always cost a minimum of 1000 THB per visit, but you get seen almost immediately, comfortable surroundings, no stress. Buy your meds from Fascino.

I don't have OP insurance.

I must be very lucky so... about 1hour to 90 mins , including an X-ray and waiting for the meds which are given in the hospital. There was no insurance involved , I only visit for holidays, stay on Bukahao... for the fresh air.... 

last time I went to A&E in my local hospital here in Dublin I was 4 Hours there, and I was told I was lucky, but at least it's free...for elder lemons like me. All the best to you . 

Edited by terryofcrete

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

That's not a proper reply. Was the doctor a "farang", ie non Thai, or wasn't he? Better come clean gg. Or be reported for fake news.

You are obviously not a Pattaya person,just a once a year 2 week tourist right ?

Never stayed in Pattaya long ?

No idea ? Don't know where you are ,your certainly not in Pattaya it you have no idea 

You claim your in Pattaya ,you claim your the "Professor of Pattaya " yet have no idea 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1