No More Dependent Extension Of Stay If The Host Foreigner Has A Retirement Extension Of Stay Permit

I know it does not help everybody, but for those couples who are both over age 50 one possibility would be to spread the dates for their renewals so as to 180 days apart, have 2 bank accounts and bounce the 800K or whatever sum is needed between the 2.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ask the American Indians what happens when you don't control

immigration!

For a complete "How to Troll" guide, please refer to this poster's body of work.

Seriously, mods, it's time...

Sateev

public warning: please keep the discussion relevant to the retirement visa situation.

Cheers

Samran

All this indecision about our lives does not suit my wife and I we have talked at Length over the last few days and we are not going to be held hostage to this possible decision one way or another or future changes, we will not have our lives decided in this arbitrary fashion so we have decided to move on to a place with a more reasoned attitude to immigration.

Well said, Bill.

Best wishes to your family. I in a way, wish my wife was not Thai as making such a decision would be easier as I too am unhappy at the "Russian Roulette" system of Visa Rules and granting that has been happening in the last year or so (particularly) which seems to be accelerating for the worse.

Unfortunately, my wife is Thai with a son (not mine) and has family here. Uprooting my wife and my stepson would therefore have to be a last resort but I have told my wife I cannot see how I can now buy the house we planned getting as soon as my Spanish house sells, as I have responsibilities to keep my capital liquid with all that is going on. No good having to go in the (maybe near) future with 80% of my funds in a house I cannot sell.

If I may ask out of interest Bill, have you managed to decide yet where you plan to try and move to, or are you going home to your mother country (s)

Kindest Regards, Dave

All this indecision about our lives does not suit my wife and I we have talked at Length over the last few days and we are not going to be held hostage to this possible decision one way or another or future changes, we will not have our lives decided in this arbitrary fashion so we have decided to move on to a place with a more reasoned attitude to immigration.

Well said, Bill.

Best wishes to your family. I in a way, wish my wife was not Thai as making such a decision would be easier as I too am unhappy at the "Russian Roulette" system of Visa Rules and granting that has been happening in the last year or so (particularly) which seems to be accelerating for the worse.

Unfortunately, my wife is Thai with a son (not mine) and has family here. Uprooting my wife and my stepson would therefore have to be a last resort but I have told my wife I cannot see how I can now buy the house we planned getting as soon as my Spanish house sells, as I have responsibilities to keep my capital liquid with all that is going on. No good having to go in the (maybe near) future with 80% of my funds in a house I cannot sell.

If I may ask out of interest Bill, have you managed to decide yet where you plan to try and move to, or are you going home to your mother country (s)

Kindest Regards, Dave

we have just started to look into it , but it will be Asia , definatly not 'back home' Phils looks interesting but crime is the big off putter there , Vietnam or even China are reasonably atractive but we have 6 months to decide , but we are definate staying is not an option, even if things change after elections the atmoshere is way different than it was even a year ago

Well, I don't know what to say... this new law seems to be directed at me and my wife. I am American, 59 yo and have the retirement visa, my wife is Japanese,46 yo and has her visa piggybacked on my visa. We have followed all the rules to the letter. I could use some advise from all of you smart people out there who might have any ideas on what I might do? Money is not much of a problem so, I am open to suggestions.

This law change is also aimed at me. I'm not sure I am up for jumping through any more hoops for my Thai hosts. If they can get away with this they can

get away with anything. A couple of years in Malaysia might make me appreciate Thailand more.... as a nice place to visit.

Latest update from Immigration on Tuesday..

The new amendments have not been published yet in the Royal Gazette. Ac soon as they are, we'll translate them and post them.

On Monday in Bangkok, they approved two cases for dependent extension of stays when the husband had retirement. No change in the new policy but a Senior person was able to use # 13 in the Provisional section of the National Police Order which gives him that right to approve on a case by case basis. Reason given for those approved was “ Foreigner was crying they did not know the new announcement and the wife had been granted the extension before” Now this does not mean the foreigner was actually crying but this gives them a good reason why they approved these two cases instead of rejecting them. I'm being told a officer cannot approved the extension or even the “inspector of the documents” It has to be approved by a Senior Immigration Member on a case by case basis until the official new regulations come out .

Once again, I was told it looks more and more.... that parents of Thai children will have positive news. He or she will no longer need to be over 50 years old in order to stay in Thailand on this basis. Lets wait to see the official regulations but this indeed seems to be positive news.

As to this posters wife, she could go to Thai school and get a educational extension of stay or she could do visa runs every 90 days on a multiple entry visa obtained from a Embassy/Consulate. If you choose the visa run, I would suggest that you will need to go with her every 90 days on the mini vacation.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

My wife and I after 5 years of no problem "piggybacking" managed to get another one year extension on Monday at ChiangMai.

That gives us one more year to sell up and move to somwhere more 'farang" friendly. We could show the 1.6 million now required but we are not going to as current trends means this will be 3.2 million in three more years.

It also means that the current rules for any foreigner can , and will change, for the worse in the coming months and years.

Sunbelt - just one thought - now if we adopted a Thai child??? :o

What will happen after the next election really is the big issue. Will the current military-bureaucratic-academic unworldly anti-farang approach continue? Or will a more wordly-wise, fostering business approach be adopted by the next government? How much does the economy have to slow down before reality starts to seep in and have an impact on the elite? Crunch time could be in the first half of next year, when the direction of the new government could become clear.

When I discuss this issue with Thai friends they mostly appear to have no idea about the issues which farangs wanting to live in Thailand face. When I explain the realities of the present system to them they are often surprised. Those who have lived overseas themselves then start to make unfavourable comparisons between the way LOS treats foreigners and the way they were treated themselves. For instance, when I explained why I would never buy a property in Thailand, they could understand my reasons. When I explained how different it would be if they were in Australia and married to an Australian, they were surprised how generous Oz is by comparison.

I know of several foreigners who have happily retired to the Philippines because it offered more long-term visa security than LOS. Personal security is not really an issue apparently if you are choosy about where you go.

What will happen after the next election really is the big issue. Will the current military-bureaucratic-academic unworldly anti-farang approach continue? Or will a more wordly-wise, fostering business approach be adopted by the next government?

At last ! Someone dares to ask the question, and draws a link between visas regulations... and politics.

That's the weak point of TV... We are talking about the technicalities... afterwards. And never of the root of thoses issues : politics.

As for immigration and business are concerned... what is important is anticipation.

Therefore, the changes of september 1 (if it's confirmed... you know the country) is not relevant anymore... What is important is next. What's next ?

I repeat that there is a trend. Since one year. Obvious. But every time, we follow the red herring, like a bull, each of us complaining, if the changes affect his own situation.

Think instead about the trend. Then analyse the political situation, and you will come to the conclusions... that we are in trouble.

To be more specific, the "current military-bureaucratic-academic unworldly anti-farang approach" like you say will continue because the junta is not going to leave the power.

Look also to the amazing resilience of the thai authorities regarding the change of Foreign Business Act, even under a lot of pressure of foreign investors and even embassies. They want to amend it. Everything is linked.

Again : you want to understand the visa situation ? Take time to analyse the politics of this country and connect the dots. And don't listen to your lawyer. :o

Edited by cclub75

To be more specific, the "current military-bureaucratic-academic unworldly anti-farang approach" like you say will continue because the junta is not going to leave the power.

Look also to the amazing resilience of the thai authorities regarding the change of Foreign Business Act, even under a lot of pressure of foreign investors and even embassies. They want to amend it. Everything is linked.

Again : you want to understand the visa situation ? Take time to analyse the politics of this country and connect the dots. And don't listen to your lawyer. :D

That's a bleak assessment :D Why can't the Democrats win ?

If think if they dis win then there could be some sweeping changes ( good ones ) :o

I have mixed views about the Democrats. They'll certainly be more worldly wise than the current military appointed regime. However, I doubt if they will be as business-friendly as was TRT. So I would expect some improvements, but not a return to the recent past.

The Democrats are also part of the elite, don't forget, just more in the centre of politics than was TRT. If Thaksin could have moderated his greed and resisted the temptation to overlook or foster corruption the economy would have been doing better than it is now, I think. But he went overboard and now we're suffering the backlash. And some people see foreign influence as part of the problem eg Temasek etc. Tightening up on farang visas is just fallout from the backlash.

In visa terms, I expect the Democrats to moderate the worst anti-farangism, but it will still be there under the surface. It would be nice if all would be rosy under the next government, but that's unlikely. Nothing specific to Thailand in that opinion - very few countries are blessed with really good, successful, honest and principled governments. Actually, I can't think of any right now...

The new rule sound tough to me too - sorry for those affected.

As for connecting politics and immigration I sometimes think we put too much into some of the visa changes that happen.

Could it not be that looking it over someone found that the intention of the retirement-rule has always been that it was an individual visa not supposed to carry other visas?

I am not saying it is right, it is not I think, - but just to see every visa change (some have been to the better btw) as an attack on foreigners in Thailand seem a bit extreme.

Cheers!

All this indecision about our lives does not suit my wife and I we have talked at lengh over the last few days and we are not going to be held hostge to this possible decision one way or anouther or future changes, we will not have our lives decided in this arbitrary fashon so we have decided to move on to a place with a more reasoned attitude to immigration.

Same here. We will know in about 1 month (when we are up for renewal), but if it's renewal as usual I plan on using the time to set up a Malaysian retirement plan. Won't buy a house there either :o

As for connecting politics and immigration I sometimes think we put too much into some of the visa changes that happen.

Could it not be that looking it over someone found that the intention of the retirement-rule has always been that it was an individual visa not supposed to carry other visas?

I am not saying it is right, it is not I think, - but just to see every visa change (some have been to the better btw) as an attack on foreigners in Thailand seem a bit extreme.

The problem here is that when nasty things happen to affect your life out of the blue as was mentioned above, it's hard not to become paranoid about it!

There may well be an anti-Farang movement afoot, there may equally be a plan to tidy up the rules so that everyone has to obey.

There may be other, better changes on the way - optimism manages to creep in sometimes!

The big problem is one of lack of communication - "stuff happens" and none of us (even Sunbelt) really knows what (or whose) the motives are. Human nature then takes over, we all start speculating and imagining. Meanwhile, we are unable to help those who are affected now despite the efforts of many on TV.

Edited by VBF

Wow, you moved 8 months ago and you still monitor Thai Visa. Thailand is a compelling place indeed!

I still have a property to sell. And, I have many close friends in Thailand, as well as other friends who have thought about moving to Thailand.

I hope I haven't missed an answer to this question in the previous posts.

I am a UK citizen aged over 50 with a non-Thai wife. We have obtained O-A/O visas for the last 3 years via the Thai London Embassy. We just apply as if it were a new application rather than an extension (ie with a new medical cert, cert of non-criminality, etc).

The change in the regulation refers to "extensions", but not to the initial grant of such visas at a foreign embassy.

Anyone have any idea if this is the intended effect of the change (ie it affects only extensions applied for in Thailand) or whether it covers all applications whether "extensions" or applications where there was no previous visa or it expired?

So, there is a reason for multiplying the average monthly wage for the whole of the population including newborns and 99 yos on their deathbeds yet you don't seem to be able to tell us what it is..!

As I am nothing if not a patient and penitent man, I will explain it yet a different way again:

It’s important to understand that the monthly income per average Thai and the monthly income per average Thai wage-earner are two different numbers; the terms are not interchangeable.

The average monthly income per household was 12,167 THB. Divide that by the average household size of 3.6 (yes, newborns and 99 yos on their deathbed included) and we find that the average Thai (yes, newborns and 99 yos on their deathbed included) has a monthly income of 3,380 THB. Multiply that by Thailand’s population (60,606,947) and you get 204,851,480,860 THB per month. Divide that by the work force (which you reported as 32,000,000) and increase it by the inflation rates of 2.10%, 1.60%, 0.60%, 1.80%, 2.80%, 4.50%, and 5.10%. The result is a monthly income per average Thai wage-earner of 7,678 THB. Increased productivity (such as it is) could account for the difference between that and your revered BOT number. I use higher average inflation rates for my forecasts, which is why I would expect to see higher monthly income.

If you say the average Thai earns 7k THB, one should multiply that by the population (yes, newborns and 99 yos on their deathbed included). If you say the average Thai worker earns 7K, one should multiply that by the workforce.

I hope this clears it up for you.

At the end of the day, it’s not good sense to love what does not love back. I might miss Thailand and my tilac, but if a future change (visa or otherwise) should affect me, I will either deal with it or move to another country that is more welcoming.

Just followed a discussion on ASTV, named ThaiWatch.

A few politicians were discussing the "burden" Thailand has to bear with WESTERN TOURISTS.

Not 1 word about Asian tourists.

Lots of images of Western tourists in the beer bars in Pattaya and Bangkok and images of Western tourists in Khaosan Road.

The main feeling of the panel:

"WE DONT WANT CHEAP WESTERN TOURISTS ANYMORE AND SHURELY NOT IF STAYING LONGER THAN NECESSARY."

Watch this trend closely.

That's very interesting as the Thailand Tourist Board is currently attempting to promote and expand tourism in Thailand. They must be horrified to hear what was said on the program. I cannot believe that these views reflect the majority of Thai politicians or people who understand the economics of Thailand.

Even if Thailand does not want us Western longer stayers here, there is NO WAY it does not want or need Western Tourism and the generated income and jobs that it helps support.

I bet if those politicians comments were leaked to the countries that many tourist come from and they chose to boycott in any reasonable numbers, Thailand would be horrified. Thailand is very popular but it's "not the only fish in the sea for Tourism"

I hate to think what would happen to the Thai economy if Western Tourists ceased to come - look at the Thai tourism industries concerns in the aftermath of the terrible Tsunami a few years back. They understand that even "cheap" Western tourists spend a hel_l of a lot of money in their few weeks here.

:o Maybe Thailand should not offer Western tourists what they seek (be it sex tourism, or more conventional holidays) then they would not wish to come.

Regards, Dave

Well sorry Dave, but you better read this in today's Bangkok Post. TAT is pulling out of the 'Long Stay' promotion biz. Oh sure, they make some lame excuse about letting the private sector take complete control to be "fair to the private sector" (TAT was a minority partner), but this follows the pull-out of General Somebody-or-other who was the main "patron" and shareholder did exactly the same.

Writing on the wall? I'm sure someone else will give some rosey picture...but the Long Stay programme was a cornerstone (not just a Thaksin gimmick) of the country's apparent 'openning' to long stay foreign tourists.

At best this is a re-focus away from 'smelly westerners' and at worst it's an 'eradication'. You be the judge - but it's in that band for sure I reckon! Only come for a fortnight - then go home farang.

Here is the link to the post report.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/06Sep2007_biz43.php

In my opinion, yes, retired couples when both are not Thai can find many tropical places to retire. One is as good as the other in that situation. If I had a farang wife I wouldn't want to retire here, actually. The biggest reason to stay would only be if I had a Thai wife.

Problem for most of us who ARE married to Thais is that the govt doesn't want us to stay! They want us to p+ss off and take our "mia farangs" with us. I take some comfort in knowing a very Hi-So Thai woman (that other hi-so thais are required to bow and scrape to), was also married to a farang guy for quite some time - and there are growing numbers of other middle-class and upper-class Thai women doing the same now - quite a change on even 10 or 15 years back (maybe that's why the elite are worried? I don't know). However that offers only temporary solace. It's a Catch-22 - and we're simply not wanted here as far as I can tell. I sure wish I was wrong, but I doubt I am on this one. Will not invest anything here til my wife and I are really old and the situation sorts itself one way or the other. We'll follow their directions/wishes and move our family abroad probably within the next year (maybe two).

Good luck to those who take a firm stand and stay. If you prosper from it, then you get the pioneering prize..and you will deserve it.

TG2

A few politicians were discussing the "burden" Thailand has to bear with WESTERN TOURISTS.

Lots of images of Western tourists in the beer bars in Pattaya and Bangkok and images of Western tourists in Khaosan Road.

"WE DONT WANT CHEAP WESTERN TOURISTS ANYMORE AND SHURELY NOT IF STAYING LONGER THAN NECESSARY."

That's very interesting as the Thailand Tourist Board is currently attempting to promote and expand tourism in Thailand. They must be horrified to hear what was said on the program. I cannot believe that these views reflect the majority of Thai politicians or people who understand the economics of Thailand.

Even if Thailand does not want us Western longer stayers here, there is NO WAY it does not want or need Western Tourism and the generated income and jobs that it helps support.

I bet if those politicians comments were leaked to the countries that many tourist come from and they chose to boycott in any reasonable numbers, Thailand would be horrified. Thailand is very popular but it's "not the only fish in the sea for Tourism"

I hate to think what would happen to the Thai economy if Western Tourists ceased to come - look at the Thai tourism industries concerns in the aftermath of the terrible Tsunami a few years back. They understand that even "cheap" Western tourists spend a hel_l of a lot of money in their few weeks here.

:D Maybe Thailand should not offer Western tourists what they seek (be it sex tourism, or more conventional holidays) then they would not wish to come.

Regards, Dave

Well sorry Dave, but you better read this in today's Bangkok Post. TAT is pulling out of the 'Long Stay' promotion biz. Oh sure, they make some lame excuse about letting the private sector take complete control to be "fair to the private sector" (TAT was a minority partner), but this follows the pull-out of General Somebody-or-other who was the main "patron" and shareholder did exactly the same.

Writing on the wall? I'm sure someone else will give some rosey picture...but the Long Stay programme was a cornerstone (not just a Thaksin gimmick) of the country's apparent 'openning' to long stay foreign tourists.

At best this is a re-focus away from 'smelly westerners' and at worst it's an 'eradication'. You be the judge - but it's in that band for sure I reckon! Only come for a fortnight - then go home farang.

:D Thanks for that.

I actually was referring to the short term tourists (sex, drink, beaches 3 to 4 weeks and back home until next time).

I cannot find a reply I made after my original message you are referring (I did note to the Moderators when I sent it that is was technically "off subject" and if they felt so inclined to move or delete it. I assume they deleted it and my separate "attempted" witty 2 liner in response to the person who correctly :o mentioned I use too many commas. Regretfully, it seems not all technically "off subject" are being pulled thus affecting continuity.

Anyway, any news or moves that suggest Thailand may or does want us long term stayers here has to be serious. I suppose in all honesty many of us long term stayers have for as long time chosen to ignore a very obvious signal for many years namely Thailand only grants 1 year Visas.

Regards, Dave

Edited by gdhm

I am a UK citizen aged over 50 with a non-Thai wife. We have obtained O-A/O visas for the last 3 years via the Thai London Embassy. We just apply as if it were a new application rather than an extension (ie with a new medical cert, cert of non-criminality, etc).

The change in the regulation refers to "extensions", but not to the initial grant of such visas at a foreign embassy.

Anyone have any idea if this is the intended effect of the change (ie it affects only extensions applied for in Thailand) or whether it covers all applications whether "extensions" or applications where there was no previous visa or it expired?

The change in an immigration rule discussed here applies only to extensions of permission to stay. Application for this is always made at an immigration office in Thailand.

This change does not affect in any way the application for a visa, be it non-immigrant O or non-immigrant O-A. These applications are always made at a Thai consulate.

--

Maestro

Looks like Thai property businesses already have plans to "help" the foreigners who have to leave.

Univenture to buy assets in property market

Holding company Univentures has set aside an investment budget of up to Bt3 billion to take over distressed assets in the property market next year to increase its revenue from the property business to 78 per cent in the next two years. -The Nation

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/09/05/bus...ss_30047842.php

Edited by ChiangMaiAmerican

Looks like Thai property businesses already have plans to "help" the foreigners who have to leave.

Univenture to buy assets in property market

Holding company Univentures has set aside an investment budget of up to Bt3 billion to take over distressed assets in the property market next year to increase its revenue from the property business to 78 per cent in the next two years. -The Nation

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/09/05/bus...ss_30047842.php

How Thai is Univenture?

(Yes such a move is opportunistic, but might actually be helping out some folks given current circumstances and market conditions. If other property firms follow, there might even be a market for some units--that's more than there appears to be now.)

:o Maybe Thailand should not offer Western tourists what they seek (be it sex tourism, or more conventional holidays) then they would not wish to come.

Regards, Dave

I went here and all became clear http://www.thailongstay.co.th/privilege.htm

There must be some very powerful people in this Titanic business (lost 60 million last year)

Someone is pumping air into this loser

On one side you have the law and the other commercial business - the law seems to be changing and upping the ante

pushing people into these schemes by offering incentives via services

ie 12 month visa, lease land and property, fast track customs, insurance, etc.

Check out the link as someone with oomph is pulling the strings

Interestingly, the one person who seems to be affected, the good Dr Naam, has the attitude of "it'll work out". A perfectly reasonable, level-headed, and pragmatic response. On the other hand, the hundreds of TVers who it does not affect, are running around whining and complaining.

I really dislike the discussions that are meant to demean Thais, and promote farang superiority: "Thais are so stupid", "Thais have no common sense", "Thais are so superstitious", "farangs make a lot more money that the Thais, and that's why farangs are the only hope for the Thai economy". However, when there is any announcement of any change to the status quo, the superior farangs lose their senses of reason, perspective, and priority. It's hilarious. I think the Thai government should make specious announcements, just to watch the farangs run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

ALLEGED NEW VISA REGULATIONS – The ThaiVisa web site reported that there were new regulations effective September 1st, which would require dependents of holders of a retirement visa to qualify for an extension on their own. Thus a spouse, if 50 or older would need to also meet the income requirement separate from those his or her spouse. A spouse under 50 or dependents would not be able to have their visas extended based on their spouse/parent having a retirement visa. It now appears that this report is a hoax and completely false. We talked with Barry Kenyon Thursday afternoon (September. 6th) - he stated that he has asked, through his contacts with Immigration in Pattaya to query Immigration Management in Bangkok about it. They stated that they have not issued such regulations, and knew nothing about them. According to Barry, Pattaya Immigration is renewing dependents of holders of Retirement Visa's as normal - married couples are being renewed as they always have been - the spouse's qualification is automatically approved if the husband is approved.

Time to stop with all this (true or false :o ) information.

Only information with the 100% exact names/references please.

Above with:"through his contacts-They stated "and so on is not good enough for me.

I only believe info from the people who really could or could not do their extension this last week.Where are they?????????????

Time to stop with all this (true or false :o ) information.

That's the name of the game here.

So you should better get used to it.

To remind you : in this country a guy can be sent in jail, for 2 weeks, in secret, without lawyer and contact with his family, on the ground of the new Computer Crime Act, meanwhile nobody inside the gvt is able or willing to comment, to confirm or deny the report...

To remind you also : with the visas shake up of october 1 last year.... we spent MANY MONTH to simply talk about different interpretations of the Immigration regulations... And even now, we can still disagree on some of it.

ALLEGED NEW VISA REGULATIONS – The ThaiVisa web site reported that there were new regulations effective September 1st, which would require dependents of holders of a retirement visa to qualify for an extension on their own. Thus a spouse, if 50 or older would need to also meet the income requirement separate from those his or her spouse. A spouse under 50 or dependents would not be able to have their visas extended based on their spouse/parent having a retirement visa. It now appears that this report is a hoax and completely false. We talked with Barry Kenyon Thursday afternoon (September. 6th) - he stated that he has asked, through his contacts with Immigration in Pattaya to query Immigration Management in Bangkok about it. They stated that they have not issued such regulations, and knew nothing about them. According to Barry, Pattaya Immigration is renewing dependents of holders of Retirement Visa's as normal - married couples are being renewed as they always have been - the spouse's qualification is automatically approved if the husband is approved.

John, whatever you may think of Sunbelt, I don't you will find they are in the habit of playing hoaxes with such serious subjects.

They have told us where they got the information and have stated many times that the new regulations have not yet been issued, and could be changed. They have further advised that some of their clients have already been refused on the basis of the new regs, and, I think there have also been posters on this thread who have reported problems, as well as many others who have had their visas renewed with no problems.

So, as usual, total confusion but I really don't think Sunbelt are lying.

I think it more likely that Mr Kenyon and/or Pattaya immigration are not up to speed with what is going on, or - Pattaya immigration are simply not telling the truth, for whatever reason.

TIT, John - let's just wait and see what transpires , but whatever it is, it is not a hoax, and I am sure Sunbelt posted this information with the best of intentions.

John, whatever you may think of Sunbelt, I don't you will find they are in the habit of playing hoaxes with such serious subjects.

They have told us where they got the information and have stated many times that the new regulations have not yet been issued, and could be changed. They have further advised that some of their clients have already been refused on the basis of the new regs, and, I think there have also been posters on this thread who have reported problems, as well as many others who have had their visas renewed with no problems.

I think it more likely that Mr Kenyon and/or Pattaya immigration are not up to speed with what is going on, or - Pattaya immigration are simply not telling the truth, for whatever reason.

TIT, John - let's just wait and see what transpires , but whatever it is, it is not a hoax, and I am sure Sunbelt posted this information with the best of intentions.

I support what Mobi says. I am quite sure Sunbelt are completely

up to speed with the situation whereas some immigration officers may not be :D

Immigration don't seem to brief or update their

officers very well in particular in the provinces regarding changes

or new policies. I have held an APEC card

for over 4 years now ( the scheme has been going even longer ) and while

Bangkok immigration officials now seem to know how to process

the holders of the card on arrival and exit, some officers in other provinces act as if

they have never seen one before :o

Possibly Pattaya Immigration just haven't been told yet, simply because the new regs have not yet been issued?