Exciting Equipment

jaiyenyen

Many a tool! Being a joiners son I obviously have passing interesting wood work and the current collection is:

Circular Saw

Makita Electric Planer

Makita Router

Bosch Cordless Hammer Drill

Bosch Hammer Drill

Makita Electric Chain saw(!)

But the one tool which I bought the other day and beats them all is my shiny new Honda 4-stroke brush cutter (strimmer on steroids) - can't beat a tool with an engine! :o

I have a friend who is the original slow learner. He has gone through four two cycle weed whackers. His Thai help burns them up. I have since told him to mix the fuel himself and forbid them to use anything else except what he mixed himself. I too have a four stroke Honda. It's a great tool and as long as they keep gasoline in it, I don't think they can hurt it. I think his next one will be a four stroke.

my personal toy's would be my jigsaw, circular saw and router ( all festool ). for the family the motecyc to bring the children ti school ( or me cruising around )

Did you get these in Thailand?

Do you know of places to get good woodworking tools?

I will be getting stuff for my workshop and so far heve got all my big stuff from the UK. so local suppliers would be good. I have started doing a bit of woodwork here is a link to my first workbench

http://meekings.selfip.com/photo-groups/mo...2007/index.html

my personal toy's would be my jigsaw, circular saw and router ( all festool ). for the family the motecyc to bring the children ti school ( or me cruising around )

I will be getting stuff for my workshop and so far heve got all my big stuff from the UK. so local suppliers would be good. I have started doing a bit of woodwork here is a link to my first workbench

I'm wondering why you used built up plywood for the bases instead of solid wood?

Chownah

I live out in the boonies and was able to easily find Makita power tools. I have a Makita planer and router plus a Maktek circular saw. My hand drill is an off the wall make but I seldom use it because I have a drill press. I have a Bosch angle grinder which has gotten some hard use and has had no problems. I also have a cheap angle grinder which would be OK for occasional very light use but it gets hot quickly if pushed. I won't buy anymore cheap power tools.

Nice work bench. I'm presently building a welding table but it will be all steel. I'm not a particularly good wood worker.

I'm wondering why you used built up plywood for the bases instead of solid wood?

Chownah

That is easy to answer and there are several reasons.

1) The plywood is more stable so the joints should not need to be retightened due to seasonal moisture changes

2) Using thinner pieces makes easy mortices.

3) The pieces were all the same thickness.

4) it is much cheaper. :o

I live out in the boonies and was able to easily find Makita power tools. I have a Makita planer and router plus a Maktek circular saw. My hand drill is an off the wall make but I seldom use it because I have a drill press. I have a Bosch angle grinder which has gotten some hard use and has had no problems. I also have a cheap angle grinder which would be OK for occasional very light use but it gets hot quickly if pushed. I won't buy anymore cheap power tools.

All of those are OK but not high end/big. Festool is high end.

Also I will need a SCMS, a good table saw, and may be a band saw, these can be ordered but I would prefere to see and have some choice. the links under show examples of the kinds of tool I will be looking for.

<http://grizzly.com/products/G1023S>

<http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513>

<http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail?H=175981&G=54931&I=64803&T=1>

Nice work bench. I'm presently building a welding table but it will be all steel. I'm not a particularly good wood worker.

Are you welding or bolting it? Any way I am always interested in others designs.

post-44962-1190022241_thumb.jpg

Also an answer to the OP my two most useful tools are

Mini CV06 Cyclone

post-44962-1190022611_thumb.jpg

seen in the background. and my Japanese layout square you can get them here

<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=56715&cat=1,42936> but mine was bought in Japan.

What's a Japanese layout square?

What's SCMS?

SCMS = Sliding Compound Miter Saw. See the link under

[url="http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1492&articleID=501379"]http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-ne...rticleID=501379[/url]

Japanese layout square =Japanese layout square. See the link under

[url="http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=56715&cat=1,42936"]http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...amp;cat=1,42936[/url]

Dr Naam, That’s probable right most old lady’s are experts....

It's probable inappropriate to, but I hope your not suggesting that this favorite tool is battery powered.

Dr Naam has to keep his special tool in a cupboard - it really is quite impressive !

May I introduce you to Betsy, a recent "Toys-for-the Boys" addition, a 1975 Series 3 LandRover that I have been doing up these past few months for "Fun-on-the-Farm!!!"

Great fun out in the sticks...wanna ride.....come visit!! :o:D

post-17773-1189663254_thumb.jpg

I have been looking for a Landrover Defender in Thailand like yours,,,would you know the going price. I will be l;eaving it in Chumphon at my mother in laws...And you;d you know of any dealers in bangkok?

It has to be the Hilux.....

Freedom to roam around in relative safety........

post-36093-1190316789_thumb.jpg

Hi Johnsurin

I'm not sure if we live in the same Surin or country? :D Are you saying the roads and the Thai road-users are safe? :o:D:D

Dave

:D

Aaah, I suppose I should have said freedom to roam around. :bah:

Is this heathrow Dave, judging by the posts of yours I've read before I should have guessed sooner.

Still, it is safer to have a nice big truck round you rather than the many idiots hurtling around the streets on motorbikes pissed out of their heads.

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

Aaah, I suppose I should have said freedom to roam around. :D

Is this heathrow Dave, judging by the posts of yours I've read before I should have guessed sooner.

Still, it is safer to have a nice big truck round you rather than the many idiots hurtling around the streets on motorbikes pissed out of their heads.

John.....

I fly out of Thiefrow on me way back home, but live in Sutton/Eastbourne when I unfortunetly come back over here to Blighty. BTW I'm getting the same truck as you in a few months so you made a good choice ! :o

[

I fly out of Thiefrow on me way back home, but live in Sutton/Eastbourne when I unfortunetly come back over here to Blighty. BTW I'm getting the same truck as you in a few months so you made a good choice ! :D

Oh well then I must have you mixed up with another friend. Do I know you/you know me? Unfortunatley I won't be back until january as I have the wife and baby over in the UK at the moment. Right now I am shuddering to think that I will spend christmas in the UK this year (1st time in 4 years). Sorry all :o

On the equipment thing I can assure you the toyota is a great choice of motor. Perhaps if your back in town in the new year we might meet up. If you spend anytime in the FC, I'm sure some of the power drinkers there will introduce us.

One of my other best equipments in thailand is the old golf clubs, after a hard day and night drinking it's good to get on the course and blast a few balls into the trees and the water. Then toddle off to start drinking again at the snooker hall.

John.....

No Dave the Dude is 1/10th of the size of Heathrow Dave, who is three times the size of me, which makes DTD 33 1/3% smaller than me. York(y)ie is 1 1/2 longer than me and Kevin and Toaster are both 50 % shorter than me. So if Toaster stood on Kevins shoulders, they would reach Yor(k)ies neck Elsie is bigger than me in one department, but a lot smaller in another.

May I introduce you to Betsy, a recent "Toys-for-the Boys" addition, a 1975 Series 3 LandRover that I have been doing up these past few months for "Fun-on-the-Farm!!!"

Great fun out in the sticks...wanna ride.....come visit!! :o:D

post-17773-1189663254_thumb.jpg

I have been looking for a Landrover Defender in Thailand like yours,,,would you know the going price. I will be l;eaving it in Chumphon at my mother in laws...And you;d you know of any dealers in bangkok?

Hi WilliamCave,

In answer to your above question I purchased mine from an Englishman in Chang Mai, who advertised it here on TV. There was quite a difference as to what you see now and how I received it, which was however reflected in the purchase price. It is a matter of searching more than anything, there is no particular dealer that I am aware of, it is more of an enthusiast's vehicle in Thailand. There are plenty about though when you start looking for one, there were 700 imported in the late 70's alone by the Thai government for the Forestry Commission.

I have a local Thai chap who owns a garage here in Buriram Province near to me and we have become wuite good friends. He restores old jeeps and the likes, he is also a member of the Thailand LandRover Club ( Thailand LandRover Club ). The website is mostly in Thai, but you may glean something out of it. Khun Arr helps me source my parts and assists me with the difficult repairs. I know he has one for sale at the moment, which is a Series 3 SWB (short wheel base) single cab, I will attach a pic of it as I happen to have one on my computer; I recently did an article on him in my website. I am not sure as to whether TV will allow this picture and they may delete it, as it is like an advert I suppose???

If you are interested, well PM me and I will put you in touch with Khun Arr. I hope this helps..............RayBan :D:D

post-17773-1190447356_thumb.jpg

I have a friend who is the original slow learner. He has gone through four two cycle weed whackers. His Thai help burns them up. I have since told him to mix the fuel himself and forbid them to use anything else except what he mixed himself. I too have a four stroke Honda. It's a great tool and as long as they keep gasoline in it, I don't think they can hurt it. I think his next one will be a four stroke.

FOUR!! :D

Obviously he's never own a two-stroke motorbike before to know how quickly and easily they either self destruct or need rebuilding.

I was give the options of a tiny little 2 stroke, a big 2 stroke and the 4 stroke Honda . . . . hmmmm I reckon it must of taken at least 1/4 of second to make the decision and at that point I didn't even know the prices! :o

I have say I've been impressed with it so far, easy starting, quiet and most importantly very low vibrations. :D

No Dave the Dude is 1/10th of the size of Heathrow Dave, who is three times the size of me, which makes DTD 33 1/3% smaller than me. York(y)ie is 1 1/2 longer than me and Kevin and Toaster are both 50 % shorter than me. So if Toaster stood on Kevins shoulders, they would reach Yor(k)ies neck Elsie is bigger than me in one department, but a lot smaller in another.

Hey Martin

I take all the above as a complement :o And to think, I was told you are a P*ss taking old F*rt.

See you all at FC when I return in early October.

Kind Regards (really)

Dave