Big Mike's

Ulysses G.

Mike is quite famous for opening a bunch of pretty good restaurants in Chiang Mai and then selling them and then opening more and selling those.

Apparently, he has decided that the grass is greener in Phuket. I understand that he is just about to open "Big Mike's" somewhere near Patong.

Has anyone seen it yet? Please keep us up to date on his adventures! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well they opened one here in BKK and the place is a farce with horrible grisly burgers! The staff don't know what they are doing or selling! I've given it 4 goes now and yesterday after waiting 20 minutes for a burger which was terrible I'm moving on. I really was looking forward to Mike's here but from what I can see it won't last long. The place is empty at all times of day and night and the location on Silom is great!

Mike hasn't owned Mike's Original Burgers for 3 or 4 years and it had a very good reputation when he did own it. Blame Brian the Brit for any shortcomings since that time!

Mike also started Miguel's Mexican (now California) Cafe in Chiang Mai which has - by far - the best, most authentic Mexican food served in this part of the world. :o

• 4 weeks later...

Well I said less than a month ago...Mike's on Silom Road Bangkok is closed. The last 2 weeks had fewer and fewer people to the point that you could see staff were sleeping on the counter as you walked by. Wonder how Phuket will go? This place lasted less than 2 months!

Those of us who are big fans of Mike's Burgers are wondering if the one in BKK is an aberration, an exception to the usual pattern. I'd give the one in Phuket at least one chance. He usually has side orders of chili con carne, too. They may not be the world's best, but Mike's burgers far surpass the chains like McD and BKing.

I ordered a chili dog in Mikes on Silom, it was terrible, I could not eat it. my mate was stunned at the cra-p they served us and he really has a bad diet.

I am glad its closed down, because they would of ended up killing someone with poisoning sooner or later.

anyway, I have heard a new bar will open up there, not sure how true it is though.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike also started Miguel's Mexican (now California) Cafe in Chiang Mai which has - by far - the best, most authentic Mexican food served in this part of the world. :D

Yup then Mike not Brian the Brit sold it to some guy from Canada and he didn't change anything from the original formula so it's still good.

Brian the Brit started a whack of these in CM and one in Hang Dong, he was franchising them...Then he up and split for Bangkok, I never went there but went in CM. Mike also opened some burger joint up in Bangkok, don't know where but it seems everytime he opens something the quality is there. :o

You folks keep refering to "Mikes". Yes, the burger places are still called Mikes, but just to clear things up, Mike (the real Mike), sold out a few years back to someone else. He sold out and moved back to the states.

Now, the new owner is trying other venues eslewhere, bkk, phuket, etc. Doesn't sound as if he's doing too well.

Also, I have first hand knowledge of where the origial Mike was getting his burgers. I went to his butcher shop where he got the meat and saw the production. It's nothing special, just a well run, clean butcher shop.

I go to Mike's burger in CM about once a month. Lately though, seems to me as if the meat is not as meaty and now has far too much fat. So, maybe the quality of the meat has something to do with people not raving about this place much as in the past. Maybe the new owner opted for a cheaper grade of beef.

Haven't been down to Anusarn night bazaar for a couple months so don't know if this second location in CM is still open.

I spoke this morning with Mike, the founder of Mike's Original Burgers [Chiang Mai]; Miguel's California Cafe [Chiang Mai]; and, Big Mike's [Phuket]. Here's the update:

• Ate at Mike's Original [Chiang Mai] this weekend. Launched by Mike, then sold down to Brian [a Brit], who franchised the operation to BKK. As noted below, the burger is no longer as originally offered. Perhaps owing to a change to appeal more to a Brit palette, than American.
  • Others report below the untimely failure of Mike's Original [bKK]. As I understand, a franchise platform, which are notorious at-risk operations unless fastidiously supported [and standards enforced] by the franchisor.
  • Ate at Miguel's California Cafe [Chiang Mai] this weekend. Launched by Mike, then sold to Mark [a Cannuck]. Mike ran a San Diego Mexican food restaurant, so this might be his strong suit. Mark took over in December 2006, and has maintained exactly the original standards. I've sought good Mexican food from Tokyo to Jakarta. While I favor Tex-Mex, Miguel's is California Mex, and is quite good. Probably the best I've found in Asia . . . more than mere get you though the night Mexican.
  • Mike reports Big Mike's [Phuket] in Chalong is open. While I have no independent intel, the reasonable expectation is that he operates on the same basis as his original, successful Mike's Original in Chiang Mai.

Just a note. Premium burgers are custom-ground to 21% fat content . . . not 22% . . . not 20%. Some burger enthusiasts go for the gut-buster grease ball variety, as now served at the Mike's Original.

For the premium variety, consider Great American Rib, BKK, Sukhumvit Soi 36.

Clearly, the good news in all of this . . . Miguel's California Cafe in Chiang Mai is best in class . . . the Cannuck has got a great little operation.

well i thought i would try it out and.......................

french fries were awfull

burger itself was OK, lettuce was wilted, tomatoes were green

hot dog average, bun nice, onions lovely

not bad but certainly nothing to rave about at all

service was quick and staff very friendly though

I spoke this morning with Mike, the founder of Mike's Original Burgers [Chiang Mai]; Miguel's California Cafe [Chiang Mai]; and, Big Mike's [Phuket]. Here's the update:

• Ate at Mike's Original [Chiang Mai] this weekend. Launched by Mike, then sold down to Brian [a Brit], who franchised the operation to BKK. As noted below, the burger is no longer as originally offered. Perhaps owing to a change to appeal more to a Brit palette, than American.
  • Others report below the untimely failure of Mike's Original [bKK]. As I understand, a franchise platform, which are notorious at-risk operations unless fastidiously supported [and standards enforced] by the franchisor.
  • Ate at Miguel's California Cafe [Chiang Mai] this weekend. Launched by Mike, then sold to Mark [a Cannuck]. Mike ran a San Diego Mexican food restaurant, so this might be his strong suit. Mark took over in December 2006, and has maintained exactly the original standards. I've sought good Mexican food from Tokyo to Jakarta. While I favor Tex-Mex, Miguel's is California Mex, and is quite good. Probably the best I've found in Asia . . . more than mere get you though the night Mexican.
  • Mike reports Big Mike's [Phuket] in Chalong is open. While I have no independent intel, the reasonable expectation is that he operates on the same basis as his original, successful Mike's Original in Chiang Mai.

Just a note. Premium burgers are custom-ground to 21% fat content . . . not 22% . . . not 20%. Some burger enthusiasts go for the gut-buster grease ball variety, as now served at the Mike's Original.

For the premium variety, consider Great American Rib, BKK, Sukhumvit Soi 36.

Clearly, the good news in all of this . . . Miguel's California Cafe in Chiang Mai is best in class . . . the Cannuck has got a great little operation.

A review.

Went there tonight with a friend, also from America.

We missed it first time we drove by, as the large yellow sign does not say Mike´s Burgers, but rather shakes and burgers. The sign with the name of the place is actually facing the mountain, not facing the circle, nor the front of the shop. Beats me.

Pros..... Great 1/3 pound burgers, the triple being about 200 baht. I ordered the bbq pork sandwich and onion rings, coke and a wanilla shake. Outstanding. The pork was fresh, a bit bland on the sauce, great fresh buns. The rings are huge and you get about 7 of them, for 80 baht. The vanilla shake actually had the malt mix in it, so it was great.

My friend ordered the chili burger. The burger was fantastic. It had the large burger patty, ground beef (chili and sauce). They all come with one onion ring. By far the best he has had since moving here 5 years ago.

Clean place, bar stools all around the restaurant and some good wooden chairs and table.

Cons.... The place was out of control at 7 pm. 3 Thai staff and about 15 customers. Alot of work for them and they simply lost it. Wrong orders, 20 minutes to get the orders done and a lot of long faces, both customers and the staff. This staff never worked so hard in their life and they simply had no idea how to queue the orders.

Mike arrived 15 minutes later and he started to straighten the ducks and put them in a row. As a customer, we did not want to hear his screams and arrogance. But he saw the place was a mess and he did what he thought was best to fix the problems.

He apologized to a couple of very pissed off French men. The men were arrogant towards the staff and complained to Mike that they had been waiting 20 minutes. Even after Mike apologized, these frenchies kept going on.

Once Mike can train his staff well enough, this place will be very special for the rest of us. We will both go back. Highly recommended.

Mike is quite famous for opening a bunch of pretty good restaurants in Chiang Mai and then selling them and then opening more and selling those.

Apparently, he has decided that the grass is greener in Phuket. I understand that he is just about to open "Big Mike's" somewhere near Patong.

Has anyone seen it yet? Please keep us up to date on his adventures! :o

this is MIKE. thanks george. u always had my back. my new place has opened at chalong circle. it is doing fine a reviews are generally great. i have owned 2 burger cafe in thailand. the ORIGINAL one in chiang mai and now this one in chalong. all the other

Mike hasn't owned Mike's Original Burgers for 3 or 4 years and it had a very good reputation when he did own it. Blame Brian the Brit for any shortcomings since that time!

Mike also started Miguel's Mexican (now California) Cafe in Chiang Mai which has - by far - the best, most authentic Mexican food served in this part of the world. :o

I am forced to quote myself.

This is the true story. The one and only, original Mike did NOT return to America - he runs Big Mike's in Phuket - and it is not his fault that Mike's Burgers in Chiang Mai went downhill after he sold it to a Brit a few years ago. It was quite good when - the real - Mike owned it. :D

I went to Mike's Burger in Chalong next to the KL Mart near the circle. I have been there three times and love the burger. The buns could be a bit firmer they seem to be doughy, lettuce should be ice berg, but he puts mayonnaise on the bun NOT butter. Very good value and my friend had the best chocolate malt in Phuket. I recommend the onion rings with a Mike's burger; I didn't like his chili dog.

Returned a few times after my post here. The last time was yesterday. I ordered the bbq pork sandwich. It was stale and they put mustard on the bun. The bbq sauce they use is that cheap Australian prune tasting sauce. These people are loosing me as a customer if this continues.

Knew it would not last. Mike is not there to supervise.