Thai Bhat

Well there was a local economist who predicted the baht would strengthen 15 percent right after the election. They no doubt thought the election would resolve the divisiveness here. Instead, it is worse than ever. So take that to the bank and smoke it.

Well there was a local economist who predicted the baht would strengthen 15 percent right after the election. They no doubt thought the election would resolve the divisiveness here. Instead, it is worse than ever. So take that to the bank and smoke it.

"So take that to the bank and smoke it."

Thank's for your friendly reply ! are you as ugly in real life as picture in your profile ? if they are all like you on here I am thinking I joined the wrong forum !

Thank's for your friendly reply ! are you as ugly in real life as picture in your profile ? if they are all like you on here I am thinking I joined the wrong forum !

You thought THAT was unfriendly?

So sorry, you might be right.

Edited by Jingthing

Note to Theboss... stop taking the sensitivity pills.

And welcome to TV!

Joe,

Please take it easy on Jingthing. He's an institution on TV. Takes a while to get used to him. We all have.

Welcome to TV. Stay around please, you'll enjoy it.

TheBoss: Welcome, hope you stay. Once in a while people get a little 'cute'. Don't take it personally. There are some very bright people on TV and some of them are surprised at the lack of knowledge on the part of the rest of us. Your post is a good one and I'll follow it with interest.

Everyone needs to try and keep it on topic.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Yer.

There is quite a difference betwen the ONSHORE and OFFSHORE Thai baht rates.

For example: If I go to my bank in Australia and want to pre-buy Thai baht to take to Thailand, I will get something like this. If I wait until I land in Thailand and exchange my Australian dollars (AUD) for Thai baht (THB) at one of the many money changing booths at Suvarnabhumi Airport, I will get something like this.

For a historical perspective of how the Thai baht has performed against other currencies, have a look here.

The ups and downs of any two countries are cyclical - just like a roller-coaster. Trying to work out when the 'peaks' and 'valleys' are can give you a headache - but it is good to be informed.

Peter

I would like to add that I try to discourage people exchanging their Australian dollars for Thai baht at Australian airports. The monopoly (I won't mention their name) agency gives around 23 baht for each $AUD1. Wait until you get to Thailand and your $AUD1 gets you around 29 baht. Big difference!!!!

Peter

the Thai Butt is doomed! :o

Naam was that a Freudian slip, or an attempt at sarcasm? Hmm how to spell BAHT??

it was supposed to be a joke :D everybody knows that the currency used in Thailand (international code "THB") is spelled "P H U H T H".

Edited by Naam

The Boss, welcome to the forum trust me that was a joke when these guys want to be insulting there is nothing subtle about it :o

Thai baht really hard to say it has defied logic for a very long time now.

There are a lot of unknown factors in the mix now, such as what is really going to happen with the world economy in 2008. There are lot so guesses about must of which don't look favorable.

To many things out there that really are not settteld yet, to even venture and accurate guess.

The balt will do better when and if the US dollar gets better, hopefuly next year when Bush is gone,

But this is only what I think , maybe yes , maybe no :o

Define better.

Baht versus dollar, which direction are you predicting?

My current guess is that we will not be seeing a 15 percent baht strengthening against the dollar anytime soon, but I don't see much weakening on the horizon either, (baht vs. dollar). No baht strengthening because of the Thai political mess, no baht weakening because the dollar is still in the crapper.

Edited by Jingthing