Bar Closing Times

ashacat

Hiya,

I was out last night for the opening of the "Q-Up" bar (above Q-bar). All was going swimmingly until loads of fun-police came in at about 1am with video cameras and torches and closed the place down. The bar was vacated and everyones ID's were checked.

I know this is not exactly a new thing in Bangkok, but I haven't seen it happen for ages. There were also rumours that RCA got closed down at a similar time. (can anyone confirm?)

Maybe the days of all night parties are gone...again...for now. :o

Cheers.

The police were swarming around Silom around 1am and closing everything down. I guess its all to do with the drugs crackdown. Things will be back to normal after a couple of weeks I would imagine.

Happened in Nana as well, ID checks and lights on @ the Bamboo Bar -

Yeah same thing happened in Soi 8, although we were able to drink all the bins had to be paid up, and that was at about midninght. I did hear that the Fun Police were on the move, but they hadn't arrived by the time that I left the bar.

You'd think they would have better things to do.... :o

Yeah same thing happened in Soi 8, although we were able to drink all the bins had to be paid up, and that was at about midninght. I did hear that the Fun Police were on the move, but they hadn't arrived by the time that I left the bar.

I hear Captain Chaos is meeting you next week

I can not make that but are up for a beer on the 28th?

I hear Captain Chaos is meeting you next week

I can not make that but are up for a beer on the 28th?

Absolutley, will drop you a pm.

Hiya,

I was out last night for the opening of the "Q-Up" bar (above Q-bar). All was going swimmingly until loads of fun-police came in at about 1am with video cameras and torches and closed the place down. The bar was vacated and everyones ID's were checked.

I know this is not exactly a new thing in Bangkok, but I haven't seen it happen for ages. There were also rumours that RCA got closed down at a similar time. (can anyone confirm?)

Cheers.

It looks as if a new "Moral Crusade" a la Prachaa Maleemond is on again. And it doesn't only concern but Farnag bars: a friend of mine has a small Issan Karaoke Restaurant on Prakanong. Two days ago, the police asked her, and the other karaoke's nearby, to close at 1am. Yesterday, they came again and closing time was midnight. But the nearby restaurants "only" could remain open. Yesterday eve, walking back home from Asoke towards Sukhumvit 11, I could notice - and was told by Thai friends as well, that all bars and "venues" were closed by the police around midnight...

The same thing has been happening in Pattaya! Wasnt it Mr T who presided over the bars closing at midnight before he took his holiday. Now he is back in power and with all those documentarys and negative publicity about thailands sex industry he will have suffered whilst in England he will be more determined than ever to clean up thailands reputation overseas - excluding corruption and murder of course!

I have no problem with the police enforcing the local drinking hours but closing an establishment early is harsh. It is good for the bar girls because they get to finish work at a sensible time of 1AM knowing they can be on their way homes by 1:30AM. The girls deserve more respect than they receive.

My wife and I were in Y-Not bar - Sukhumvit Soi 3 - last night around 8.30 pm - when one of the BIB informed the owner's wife that the bar had to close at midnight sharp. She said it was something to do with there being a new police chief.

Everything stopped at midnight in Bamboo bar - Soi 3 - and Soi Cowboy was in darkness not long after!

Pathetic.

Should have known something was up when I saw the BIB congregating in Soi 5 Sukhumvit around 6.00 pm.

I have no problem with the police enforcing the local drinking hours but closing an establishment early is harsh. It is good for the bar girls because they get to finish work at a sensible time of 1AM knowing they can be on their way homes by 1:30AM. The girls deserve more respect than they receive.

Actually, in a lot of cases, closing the bars early, particularly a-go-go bars, is not in the best interests of the girls. It deprives them of getting a customer after midnight in the establishment where they work. They are then 'forced' to go elsewhere in the hope of finding one. Often the street or a late night - after hours - coffee shop -

Actually, in a lot of cases, closing the bars early, particularly a-go-go bars, is not in the best interests of the girls. It deprives them of getting a customer after midnight in the establishment where they work. They are then 'forced' to go elsewhere in the hope of finding one. Often the street or a late night - after hours - coffee shop -

Exactly !! and speaking of 'respect' it should be earned, AND talking about "the police enforcing the local drinking hours" is laughable when no one knows what they are. It is not for some servant (the new head cop) to be make the laws. His job is to enforce the existing law.

Hiya,

Cheers.

He guys, it is not only but the Farang bars, pubs and the go-go bars that are concerned... The same friend I refered to a couple of days ago called me again to-day that her karaoke restaurant got closed yesterday at midnight again. She tried to seek an explanation this afternoon and was basically told "that's the way it is...no discussion allowed... period". Nothing kinky in her restaurant, no girls...but she works - and make most of her revenue - at night...

Well, if this "new rule" is maintained, she won't be able to keep paying her cook and her staff of three... Some more poor Thai peaople losing an income because of a shortsight brainless brass enjoying his new power...

Apparently it's down to a 'regime change' at Lumphini. Same thing happened last year around late April, if I recall correctly. Took all of about 6 weeks for the new 'regime' to reach a satisfactory 'equilibrium' with local business. So I wouldn't fret too much...

mk

Apparently it's down to a 'regime change' at Lumphini. Same thing happened last year around late April, if I recall correctly. Took all of about 6 weeks for the new 'regime' to reach a satisfactory 'equilibrium' with local business. So I wouldn't fret too much...

mk

Lot's of us don't fret as we are customers, but for those that make a living out of bars, karaokes etc...these sort of ludicrous crackdowns do have a major impact.

It's another example of the total lack of understanding that those in "power" have of those that earn a living from the hospitality and entertainment industry, although pretty certain that they are happy enough to continue to take their monthly tea money. :o

This is not a crack down on drugs Or keeping clubs open to late by asking for a bribe.

The new government has a underage drinking campaign.

They are trying hard to stop clubs from making money now.

They want the young people to study more so thailand can grow.

At some clubs there taking finger prints for Record that they will install some FP ID scan.

I saw this on the 14th at RCA.

mk

it affects silom too, not only lumpini. it is a nationwide thing

The same thing has been happening in Pattaya! Wasnt it Mr T who presided over the bars closing at midnight before he took his holiday. Now he is back in power and with all those documentarys and negative publicity about thailands sex industry he will have suffered whilst in England he will be more determined than ever to clean up thailands reputation overseas - excluding corruption and murder of course!

Now that you mention it, the last 18 months or so, things have been bit bit more relaxed with bar closing times. No surprises then that this latest crackdown has coincided with the return of Mr T and his buddies.

With the crackdown on drugs that has been announced I'm surprised they didn't urine test everyone as well.

No the SOP for the drug crackdown is not piss testing but extra-judicial police killings. Lets keep our crackdowns straight here :o

Yeah same thing happened in Soi 8, although we were able to drink all the bins had to be paid up, and that was at about midninght.

Gotta hand it to the creativity of the Thais...I was out at a BB on soi 2 a few nites ago and the owner comes around and requests that everyone pay their bills about 1 a.m.. Explains that maybe the police come around and bar must be "closed." :o She said I could continue to drink and if wanted another one no problem...just pay as I go along and no check in the bin holder on the counter was okay!

Only in LOS does bar being closed = lights/music turned down/off and no bins on the tables but alcohol still being sold. Gotta love it! :D

I noticed last night, that bars around the lower end of Sukhumvit were being closed down around midnight.

With the new smoking ban now in effect and these early closures, going out for a beer is becoming more and more tedious. I might as well just by a case of beer and sit in my apartment and drink it. :o