How Many Kilometers Has Your Car/pickup Done ?

pop3

My 1999 Mitsubishi pick up 2.8 diesel has just turned 200,000 km. 124274.24 miles. on the original engine. I have read this...

Diesel fuel is a better lubricant than gasoline so is less harmful to the oil film on piston rings and cylinder bores; it is routine for diesel engines to cover 250,000 miles (400 000 km) or more without a rebuild.

Do you believe this and how many miles has your engine done ?

My 1999 Mitsubishi pick up 2.8 diesel has just turned 200,000 km. 124274.24 miles. on the original engine. I have read this...

Diesel fuel is a better lubricant than gasoline so is less harmful to the oil film on piston rings and cylinder bores; it is routine for diesel engines to cover 250,000 miles (400 000 km) or more without a rebuild.

Do you believe this and how many miles has your engine done ?

I have 1977 Mercedes 300D with about 700,000 km on the clock. It has never had a rebuilt. I know the entire history of the car, it was bought new in Germany by a friends brother, driven over 300,000 km in Germany for 7 years then brought to Thailand by my friend who gave me the car two years ago. (Very rich Thais!). The milage could well be higher, when it was converted to right hand drive the odometer was not connected properly but the Thai estimate is conservative for over 20 years of continuous use. Fantastic car!

Edited by nakhonsi sean

My Isuzu pick up of 4 years has done 15,000, yes 15,000 Km,s

In that time my legs have done many more as i go walk about every day.

What,s the least you,ve done if i may be allowed to expand on your O.P. ( pop3 ) to cover both ends of the question.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

1986 4wd isuzu trooper 2.8 turbo 869.000 km. A very bad treated car, driven through all kinds of terrain, water ice snow Used for towing heavy loads, also used for towing caravans/horse trailers, pulling out treestubs, pushing down walls, whatever, This car has been really really used and abused, in european and tropical enviroment, and still going strong. Changed oil and filter every 7000 kilometers.

No rebuild, changed glow plug in europe ones and also the fuel injectors. Rebuild turbo at 500.000something. Replaced waterpump and put new bearings in the dyno. It started to use engine oil, I just put in another grade and now uses about 1 liter/2000 kilometers. The frame of the car had the normal wear and tear things one can expect, nothing out of the ordinairy. Great truck, and even now it still looks good. For years i told myself if something goes wrong with it, or breaks down, i will just dump it, not going to spend money on it, but....whatever i do, it just will not die.

December 2001 Ford Ranger 4WD with 174,000 km.

Still mostly original parts and regularly serviced first at 5,000 and now 10,000km intervals. One family owned from new, firstly by me and then I sold it to my wife for 2 baht (and I waited a couple of years for the 2 baht).

All the dents and scrapes are mine alone and now at 64 my wife is OK for me to drive on my own but is she and or son are with me, she drives.

I will keep it for as long as I can unless I get a bit od free money when I will replace it, probably with a Ford Ranger Wildtrak.

1984 Volvo 245, tad over 300,000 km.

Original engine, only the usual repairs ( waterpump once, alternator once, AC compressor once,...)

LAst 100,000 km on LPG, no ill effects at all.

1986 4wd isuzu trooper 2.8 turbo 869.000 km. A very bad treated car, driven through all kinds of terrain, water ice snow Used for towing heavy loads, also used for towing caravans/horse trailers, pulling out treestubs, pushing down walls, whatever, This car has been really really used and abused, in european and tropical enviroment, and still going strong. Changed oil and filter every 7000 kilometers.

No rebuild, changed glow plug in europe ones and also the fuel injectors. Rebuild turbo at 500.000something. Replaced waterpump and put new bearings in the dyno. It started to use engine oil, I just put in another grade and now uses about 1 liter/2000 kilometers. The frame of the car had the normal wear and tear things one can expect, nothing out of the ordinairy. Great truck, and even now it still looks good. For years i told myself if something goes wrong with it, or breaks down, i will just dump it, not going to spend money on it, but....whatever i do, it just will not die.

Yep, those Isuzu engines have a reputation of being virtually indestructible.

Most often the bodywork gives out before the engine!

Always Isuzu D-Max, change every 4 years.. The 2000 model changed in 2004 with 536,000km on the clock,

Picked up the new 'Gold' series last Sat, the 2004 model had 379,000km ... Never had any problem + Serviced every 5 - 6 weeks

As fuel prices have gone up so much, now looking to stay over night more + not visit every 4 weeks but every 6 weeks

Hi :o

1994 Volvo 460 GLE, 2.0, Automatic. 138.000 kilometers, original engine, never rebuilt. Engine runs like fine clockwork, everything else falls apart every now and then, specially the electrics. Currently only driven sporadically on weekends or for trips to Chiang Mai (gas guzzler!) On Gasohol 95 since it became available, no problems.

Regards.....

Thanh

Well after reading some of you guys stories about your engines my 200,000kms doesn't sound that bad now. Isuzu seems to be doing well, no Toyota yet ?

Locally, the Isuzu diesels are doing very well.

Worldwide (especially European) and on petrol, Volvo is kinda hard to beat!

Thanh's car is basically just run in :o

I know several older volvo's (with the famous red block engine) racking up 500,000 miles and more!

I actually have a good friend driving a Volvo V70 turbo, 310,000 km on the clock and still going strong with no major problems. Not bad for a 2.4 engine churning out 190 HP... He actually reckons his auto gear is going to go first...

Just out of interest we have a Yamaha Mio Fino as well the we bought in October 2006 and that has 13,000 km on it and with the price of diesel at 40.9 a litre in the village yesterdat it will get a lot more.

The battery died about 2,000 km ago and I have replaced both tyres and tubes.

Other than the regular 4,000 km service at an outrageous 100 baht or so it runs beautifully

There is another Mio in the village registered about 200 vehicles after ours with less than 2,000 km.

Some of these older baht buses running round must have some serious km on them, I see some real old white ones running along sukumvit from Chonburi to Sattahip all day long. I dread to think how many km are on them ? also I think there manual gearbox, How many times has that clutch pedal been in and out ?

My two year old Camry has 17.000 km on the clock.

My wife's 8 year old Soluna has 80.000 km.

Both cars in perfect conditions without any problems so far.

Only my wifes car need an repaint from all the shopping trolleys and her driving skills. :o

Edited by merijn

• 1 month later...

I should have known ...writing about my isuzu and praising it into heaven.......

After 22 years and now 871.200 kilometers it said...enough is enough..

I think by the initial sound of it , that the camshaft broke, but it can also be a lose/broken piston shaft.

It was pretty noisy. Lots of clonks and clunks rattle and smoke, it died within a few seconds.

Whatever it is, I am not going to open up the engine and see what is wrong.

Not going for repairs, because i know i will end up rebuilding everything and the cost would be too much for a vehicle of this age.

Oh well, after all this time and kilometers it is ok, this car has really served me well, in european and tropical environments and the breakersyard will be it`s next `home`.

Still i am sad to see it go, i was a kind of proud to drive it, especially since no one would really believe at first glance it was that old already. :o

LOL, I'll keep a look out in the for sale column in case you happen to be selling it sometime.

Seriously though, that is some mileage - I have the 2001 Toyota Tiger 4WD/SR4 170,000 km, oil changed every 5K, it has needed front wheel drive rubber gaiters, two new front tyres, front brakes, front ball joints and a re gass of the aircon - so I can't complain, it works hard.

My 1 1/2 month old jazz has done about 5500Km so far and I do have to say that I have been to Honda everyday to fix something (NOT)...

The Triton I had is now on 78000Km Few minor problems...

The Vigo I had is now touching 100000KM, never a problem

The Yaris I just sold had about 38000Km never a problem...

I like my cars to be younger than I am, so I do not want a tank from the 60s...

A friend of mine bought a new Isuzu about ten years ago. It has 275,000 kilometers on it and the drive train has never been touched. I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier and have 60,000 kilometers on it. It is barely broken in and has never had anything other than regular service.

my 2.0L Civic is two years old now and has 49,000 Kilometers on the clock. a lot of driving and also at very high speeds, I have hit 220kph in it. new brakes and tyres and that is it except the regular services at every 10,000 kilometers. these Vitec engines are very good.

yes - believe it1

250k MILES should be OK for the engine1

Unfortunately the engine is only part of the whole story.....chassis body transmission and running gear all have to keep up......the good news in Thailand is that running repairs are still ridiculously cheap.......although I notice now that "Main Dealers" are trying to introduce International style servicing price scales.....

PS - despite this almost every second-hand vehicle I've looked at on Sukhumvit, Pattaya was "clocked"!

Edited by wilko

2 month old Camry has 15,000KM on it. Obviously no problems with that yet.

2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 has 100,000KM on it, worked like a dog every day until recently. Just had the clutch changed, but apart from it looks shabby, its mechanically sound.

2006 Fortuner Deisel has 65,000KM with no problems so far apart from some interior trim that was fixed in 10 mins at the dealer.

I just got rid of a 2003 Ford Escape that started dying a while ago. It only had 60K on the clock, but was really dying a death. Some poor fellow is gonna end up spending chunks of change on that one.

.......although I notice now that "Main Dealers" are trying to introduce International style servicing price scales.....

As an aside, my wife spilt some 'fishy water' on the carpet..it stinks..main dealer has estimated 10000Baht+ to sort..today insurance company agreed to pay for whatever BMW need to do...its carpets out, replace silencing materal and wash carpets...she is not in my best books at present...good job she is lovely....car absolutely stinks..farang drive with window open!!

Just before my wife came to England, in early 2003, her ’95 Mazda Lantis had done almost 100,000 kms. The car looked so immaculate that I was a little worried when cleaning it.

When we came back to live here last year it had done another 100,000 kms (step- daughter had learnt to drive and then used it for work). Not only was there a dent/scratch in every panel (inc. the roof!) but also the engine ran like a diesel on three cylinders. Whilst away she had managed to drive it with white fluffy stuff coming from under the bonnet, until it stopped (needed replacement cyl. head etc). Also the ride was like all underneath was loose! She is now in the UK and the car has been little used. It was also gassed (LPG) a couple of years ago, so we have decided to get more use out of it for a while.

So last week we took it to the Mazda garage just down the road from Don Muange. Following inspection the guy spent nearly a couple of hours showing problems and explaining to me, via my wife, what was what. My background is engineering and I have rebuilt engine in the past…so I know he wasn’t pulling my pissa.

So engine vibration sorted, mountains etc, cam belt/water pump changed inc. associated bearings. All oil leaks sorted, second hand shock absorbers fitted, just about every rubber suspension mountain changed, track rod ends, small anti-roll bar etc etc. Auto gearbox, engine oil, brake fluid changed, filters etc etc.

Eighteen hours labour at 420baht/Hr..Parts about 52000Baht (exc. tax). Now drives lovely. Just to arrange full body respray, Mazda will organise at 35000Baht. That is an ok price for a quality job, not some little back street garage.

So for around 100,000Baht we will have ‘an imported car’ that has never been crashed, looks immaculate and rides like a two year old one. In another 60,000kms may need to change the engine (second hand about another 32000baht) LPG is not very gentle on the engine. Have also got the cylinder compression readings so can check deterioration.

I know that I could buy ‘same same’ model for not much more… but could easily be buying a load of trouble and it wouldn’t ride/look anything like this and it’s not depreciation like my 520d either.

Mazda new spares are expensive, however dealers now offer 2nd hand spares which come from Japan, so reducing cost of overhaul however you need to carefully consider where you use 2nd hand parts. Basically all parts new except shocks. …Just hope it doesn’t get pranged!!!!!!!! However a second hand engine is considerable cheaper than a re-build.

I can recommend this garage, their work is good, the owner’s wife works there, speaks English and is very helpful if needed.

A friend of mine bought a new Isuzu about ten years ago. It has 275,000 kilometers on it and the drive train has never been touched. I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier and have 60,000 kilometers on it. It is barely broken in and has never had anything other than regular service.

I've got a 5 year old D-Max with 198,500 kms. Just replaced the rear brakes today for the first time and the front disc pads for the second, and my third set of shocks. For some odd reason it needed a clutch at about 100,000 km, but other than that nothing. I can't imagine why I'd ever replace it with something else.

• 2 months later...
I should have known ...writing about my isuzu and praising it into heaven.......

After 22 years and now 871.200 kilometers it said...enough is enough..

I think by the initial sound of it , that the camshaft broke, but it can also be a lose/broken piston shaft.

It was pretty noisy. Lots of clonks and clunks rattle and smoke, it died within a few seconds.

Whatever it is, I am not going to open up the engine and see what is wrong.

Not going for repairs, because i know i will end up rebuilding everything and the cost would be too much for a vehicle of this age.

Oh well, after all this time and kilometers it is ok, this car has really served me well, in european and tropical environments and the breakersyard will be it`s next `home`.

Still i am sad to see it go, i was a kind of proud to drive it, especially since no one would really believe at first glance it was that old already. :o

Ive just noticed this post, Sorry to hear about the crunch :D

It's always sad to see a trusted vehicle go to the graveyard, I remember an old 1973 Range Rover I had for many years before moving to Thailand, Everything was worn out on it, the V8 engine had virtually no oil circulation due to sludge build up, when removing the rocker cover the sludge was so thick and dry it was touching the valve springs !

I have no idea of the mileage that engine had done as the speedometer cable had been broken for years, It was around 24 years old when I sold it for the same money as I bought it, 500 pounds... I even had to hold it in second gear as it liked to jump out, everywhere there was fluid there was a leak, but the reliability was amazing, I never found out what happened to it ?

Don't know -5 years ago when looking for another vehicle saw my present one on the side of the road nice and clean for a 99 small pickup 125ks showing told the dealer i'd bear it in mind while still looking, but only sprayed up horrers at 10/15% more so 2weeks later back to the origional one, obviously he couldn't sell it with 125ks so now 75ks had a chuckle knocked him down 10 grand and bought it. Still looks and drives great only problem ks reading will not go to 100,000 every time it gets to 99,999 it goes back to 90,000 very strange? or could it be me in there with a screwdriver! so my answer to OP is i haven't kept a tally so i Don't know.

• 1 year later...

Ford Ranger base model with 2.5 lt engine, 400,000 kms with NO problems other than belts changed and 1 set of brakes. most miles were highway. Next Ranger pick up 4 x 4 with 2.5 engine turbo with 225,000 kms. No brakes chnaged, belts changed and U joints due to friend driving it 400 kms in 4 wheel drive on paved roads.