Want To Repair The Ecm For Volvo S60 Turbo 2003

Hi,

My friend has got a problem with the power distribution for the injectors, so he gave me the ECM to me to have a look inside.

I located the control IC for the injectors and re-soldered all the pads as well as the pins in the connector, but the problem is exactly the same afterwards.

The particular IC has got the Bosch logo, but i'm not sure if it still can be a standard component inside (or if there are standard replacement parts out there).

Please tell be about your ideas on how i can find a replacemet IC in Thailand!

Best Regards,

Hans

eh what does the ECU have to do with the injectors? Cause if its bad, the car would even start! Did you check the harness that is attached to the injectors? ECUs dont usually go bad or even go bad at all!! If you were to find an exact ECM, you will need to recode the ECM with the immo from the dealer along with the keys though. Otherwise your car would not fire up! Another thing you want to do is scan the car for codes and take it from there...

Edited by initiala4

The ECM has got electronic injector drivers inside it; that's how it's related to the problem with the injectors.

My friend is a mechanic, and he has done a lot of investigations before he came to me to tell me that the ECM is faulty. He said to me that the ECM does not give enough power on one injector, and (like you) i suggested him that the harness would be more likely to be faulty. His reply to that was: "but the problem is sometimes on one injector, and at another time it's on another".

Anyway, i'll tell him about the codes and protections before he gets into getting a replacement ECM. :o

/Hans

eh what does the ECU have to do with the injectors? Cause if its bad, the car would even start! Did you check the harness that is attached to the injectors? ECUs dont usually go bad or even go bad at all!! If you were to find an exact ECM, you will need to recode the ECM with the immo from the dealer along with the keys though. Otherwise your car would not fire up! Another thing you want to do is scan the car for codes and take it from there...

If the ECU software is bad, then it should have been bad since day 1 from the factory though. I know this because I do write software for various tuned cars and makes. As for the prom, if its loose ( which I have never seen, unless someone did a bad solder job for socket chip), then it would make the car to not be operational. Once a software is released and already has been inside the ECU, it will definitely be the absolute best from the manufacture! Its hard to fault the ECM though....thats just my take on it.

Maybe try replacing the injectors? Is this Volvo tuned? or it could be the FPR or fuel pump. Just too many variables......for now, I would just try to get the codes out via OBD II and go from there.

Interesting. I'm doing my own ECU (HW & SW) for my old secondhand car at the moment. Not a fully featured, just a little thing on my sparetime... :o

Anyway, this is the chip i think my friend needs to replace:

http://www.semiconductors.bosch.de/pdf/CJ9...roduct_Info.pdf

I think Bosch's policy is to sell only to car manucaturers, but do you think it's possible to get it from somewhere anyway? Perhaps secondhand?

I think this must be a standard component for many european cars. Do you have any suggestions on what brands/makes that might be? My friend has told me that secondhand ECMs for S60 are very rare in Thailand, so i think it would be a bigger chance to get the component from a different make/brand.

My friend has checked the pump and FPR, and thinks that there is nothing wrong with the fuel supply. Also the injectors seams unlikely since the problem jumps to different injectors at different times.

I think it's just a standard car that has not been tuned.

I have told my friend about the codes, so he will look into that as well.

/Hans

If the ECU software is bad, then it should have been bad since day 1 from the factory though. I know this because I do write software for various tuned cars and makes. As for the prom, if its loose ( which I have never seen, unless someone did a bad solder job for socket chip), then it would make the car to not be operational. Once a software is released and already has been inside the ECU, it will definitely be the absolute best from the manufacture! Its hard to fault the ECM though....thats just my take on it.

Maybe try replacing the injectors? Is this Volvo tuned? or it could be the FPR or fuel pump. Just too many variables......for now, I would just try to get the codes out via OBD II and go from there.

Interesting. I'm doing my own ECU (HW & SW) for my old secondhand car at the moment. Not a fully featured, just a little thing on my sparetime... :o

I think Bosch's policy is to sell only to car manucaturers, but do you think it's possible to get it from somewhere anyway? Perhaps secondhand?

I think this must be a standard component for many european cars. Do you have any suggestions on what brands/makes that might be? My friend has told me that secondhand ECMs for S60 are very rare in Thailand, so i think it would be a bigger chance to get the component from a different make/brand.

My friend has checked the pump and FPR, and thinks that there is nothing wrong with the fuel supply. Also the injectors seams unlikely since the problem jumps to different injectors at different times.

/Hans

Heheh nice to see someone in a similiar boat. You probably can get a used ECU somewhere in Asia or Europe. I am sure you have to make sure that its the same ECU number and as well as Benzene number shown on the box. You cannot use an Audi Bosch ECU and plug it into a Volvo....so the there are 2 choices.

1. Try to allocate the same exact ECU box number and then get it recoded from the dealer ( not sure how dealers here are )

2. Stand alone management =) but then you will run into problems such as intrument cluster, TCM, and all the other misc connections ( CAN, etc)

Well its hard for me to come out with any suggestions since the car is not infront of me though. Did he logged for the injector cycle duty? injector voltage? lambda??

Yes, i wouldn't even try to fit the entire box from a different brand/make, but just the chip containing the injector drivers.

My friend normally do not repair this kind of things, so the way he has determined that the power is less on one cylinder is to connect a 12V light to the injector outputs, one at a time, and seen that there is significantly less light coming out at the the failing cylinder.

/Hans

/Hans

Heheh nice to see someone in a similiar boat. You probably can get a used ECU somewhere in Asia or Europe. I am sure you have to make sure that its the same ECU number and as well as Benzene number shown on the box. You cannot use an Audi Bosch ECU and plug it into a Volvo....so the there are 2 choices.

1. Try to allocate the same exact ECU box number and then get it recoded from the dealer ( not sure how dealers here are )

2. Stand alone management =) but then you will run into problems such as intrument cluster, TCM, and all the other misc connections ( CAN, etc)

Well its hard for me to come out with any suggestions since the car is not infront of me though. Did he logged for the injector cycle duty? injector voltage? lambda??

• 2 weeks later...

My friend has bought a new ECM now. Is the recoding possible to do at Volvo only, or could it be done by any place provided that they have the cable and software. I mean, am i likely to find such a place? :o

/Hans

The recoding would require you a visit to the dealer from my guess because they will need to get the IMMO code from the server and readapt your keys as well. Otherwise it would start and run. Other way is to unsolder the EEPROM IMMO chip and then copy it.

Edited by initiala4