Buying Electronics On The Cheap

Firefoxx

For those of you who didn't know, there are three general places in Chinatown to get cheap stuff (mostly electronics): Sa-pahn Lek (metal bridge), Klong tome (landfilled canal), and bahn mau (pots-ville).

Sa-pahn Lek is called that because it's exactly what it is, a metal structure over a canal. There are two parallel walkways and shops on the sides and in between. The major merchandise is games, especially Playstation2, but there is plenty of other stuff. RC cars and planes are everywhere, as well as cheap walkmans and calculators. Models and used cameras are also easy to find. I was able to get a 5-pack of Sony color DV tapes for 650 baht (you pay around 1,200 baht in stores).

Klong tome is literally a canal that's been filled with concrete and now is littered shops and stalls. You can buy pretty much anything, especially VCDs/DVDs and small electronics. There is a small open air shopping center nearby which has pretty much everything that's related to consumer electronics. The shops along the road deal with machinery, tools and heavy equipment.

I don't know why bahn mau is called potsville, perhaps it orignally was an area that sold pots. However, you can't find any pots there today. What you will find is electronics components for everything, much of which is salvaged from discarded equipment. However, if you want to find any electronic components or ICs, this is the place to look. There are also home-made speakers and sound systems and tons of electronics equipment.

Sa-pahn lek is located near The Old Siam shopping center and Merry Kings. Klong tome is near the Rachavongse pier. Bahn mau is also near The Old Siam, but in a different direction. The Old Siam itself is near Sa-pahn Poot pier.

I may have not spelled the names in the same way as signs in Bangkok, but I try to spell them as they actually sound.

If you go to Bhan mau you may want to leave the wife at home as it is also the center for the old time Chinese diamond trade shops. She might actually enjoy letting you visit the electronic shops if she rests in one of the jewelry shops with a cup of tea (and the credit card). :o

Unless I'm completely mistaken:

Klong Tome should be just west of the Grand China Princess

Sa-pahn Lek should be right next to the bridge (Yao Wa Rat Rd) over the klong between Chakkra Wat and Maha Chai roads

Bahn Mau should be in the general area of Charoen Krung and Ti Petch road

For the adventurous, you can see that these areas are right next to the Chao Phraya river, and so can be easily reached by the river express boats. The San Saeb canal boats also end up at Saket Temple, and you can take a #5 bus for the few stops to Sa-pahn Lek. Hua Lum Pong is nearby, which also has a subway station.