Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

Have just returned from Goose's Fish and Chips - once again a great feed. I had the mash potatoes for a change and a big mound of mash was promptly served up with the usual large fillet of John Dory and garden peas. Still think you can't beat it.

Next time I will try something else just to see if the standard is as high as with the fish.

BTW - Goose has nothing to do with fish (surprise surprise) but is actuallyn the owners nickname - no, I didn't ask how he came by it but you can when you go in for a meal.

There is a place in Rockport, Texas that serves the good stuff (sorry, just wanted you to see what Texans think is good fish and chips):

post-36006-1256377729_thumb.jpg

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just returned from Goose's Fish and Chips - once again a great feed. I had the mash potatoes for a change and a big mound of mash was promptly served up with the usual large fillet of John Dory and garden peas. Still think you can't beat it.

Next time I will try something else just to see if the standard is as high as with the fish.

BTW - Goose has nothing to do with fish (surprise surprise) but is actuallyn the owners nickname - no, I didn't ask how he came by it but you can when you go in for a meal.

Thanks for the information. I'll be trying the place out tomorrow (Sunday) instead of my usual Sunday roast at the Bowling Green.

• 1 month later...

I went to Goose the other day, they were out of cod fillet so i ordered the cod loin with chips, and it was absolutely delightful, nice chunky piece of cod with a perfect texture throughout and nice crispy batter ( i dont usually like batter but this was very good stuff).

The chips were real chips the type where someones gone to the trouble of cutting them themselves and they were nicely cooked until slightly crunchy on the outside with soft potato in the inside, oh yes and nice fresh garden peas, only way it could be better was if the bread you got wasnt Thai bread.

So if youre a Pattaya person and wish to support a business thats gone to the trouble of making a nicely little decorated restaurant that sells good food make sure you go here as opposed to the sterile chain bars like Shennanigans/ Jamesons etc....

Its as good as the best chippies in Engand.

Edited by whichschool

Although I've lived close by it for over 3 years, I'd never bothered eating in the Baan Jomtien Pub before. A few days ago I took a friend there and was pleasantly surprised by it. I had fish and chips, which was local white fish but very good, with excellent batter and home-made chips. Very reasonably priced, too, I'll be eating there again.

The Baan Jomtien Pub is on Thappraya Road, on the Jomtien Complex side, it's about the second or third place after you've passed Jomtien Complex Condo, just after the perennially-deserted Miss Pattaya bar.

Thanks for the info as i've never even noticed this Baan Jomtien Pub, i'll give it a try.

Seeing that youv'e mentioned the forever desserted Miss Pattaya Bar, im baffled as to why there is few or no customers in there everytime i go past?

Anyone know? just curious in how they can stay open all these years.

Goose's Fish and Chips - 2nd Road just before Soi 7 - the new place is open. I tried it tonight. Excellent - they have "local" fish and atlantic cod.

I had local, there was two choices and I had John Dory, huuuge comes with chunky chips (yes) or mashed potato and a choice of mushy peas, garden peas (yes) or baked beans. Also a thick slice of white bread and butter, and of course tartar sauce. It was a light batter (close to crumbed)

Couldn't quite eat it all - left some chips and most of the bread. I am still full 3 hours later. All that for Baht 195.

Drink prices were reasonable as well. They also do breakfast but I can't remember the price. Some other items on the menu were pies and bangers and mash, also pickled onions and gherkins available. There is Thai food as well.

Highly recommended.

Don't bother!

Significant other half and I ventured from the Darkside into to the bright lights of Pattaya for a rare glimpse of err... "civilisation" yesterday and on a whim decided to frequent Goose's based on a couple of recommendations here. Was very surpirsed that we were the only customers there seeing other places we saw were quite busy, but liked the clean, white table cloth look of the environment. They even turned the air con on for us when we arrived.

Ordered the Cod Fillet with chips and mushy peas (295 baht) and beer (70 baht) and significant other ordered some "special" that was whispered to her in Thai. While we are talking about ordering does anyone else get met with blank stares when you, as a Farang, order in Thai? Are they shocked that some of can speak really good Thai or??? It's funny everyone else seems to understand except waitresses. The police always understand me anyway....

Anyway I digress, within what seemed like too short a time we were served our meals - together too, which is rare in Thailand.

Verdict: Where I came from mushy peas were rich and slightly creamy in texture, these were watery and tasted like baby garden peas, squashed. (Maybe just my upbringing?) Chips were more like potato wedges and had that definite already cooked and kept warm taste and temperature. Slightly soggy. Cod fillet was thick, batter was crispy and tasty but fillet was tough and cold and uncooked in the middle. Very disappointing. Significant other who has had experience in this cuisine travelling & living with me for a few years overseas was also disappointed with her fish, although said it was cooked.

Thought about complaining but have found that generally nobody listens anyway, so will let our feet do the walking and not go back. If I'm going to pay that much I'll just go back to Shenanigans where the food always tastes good and you can have a game of pool after.

Funny, I think the chips at Goose's are some of the best imaginable. Try it yourselves, I am sure a lot of you will like it. I have had the local fish and no issues as above. The cod is probably frozen so that may be the issue. Another thing about the batter and frying style at Goose's. It is pretty much the opposite of the style at Pig & Whistle. At the Pig the crust is super thick and crunchy, almost like breaking a brick to get in there. I actually like both styles! Goose's I think is more refined.

Edited by Jingthing

Funny I have been about 5 times now and never had a bad meal. I with Jingthing I like the chips at Goose's. I also like the fish and have always had the local fish with never a problem.

Oh well you can't please everyone all the time!

BTW - I haven't been impressed by the food in Shenanigans for a long time!

• 4 weeks later...
Although I've lived close by it for over 3 years, I'd never bothered eating in the Baan Jomtien Pub before. A few days ago I took a friend there and was pleasantly surprised by it. I had fish and chips, which was local white fish but very good, with excellent batter and home-made chips. Very reasonably priced, too, I'll be eating there again.

The Baan Jomtien Pub is on Thappraya Road, on the Jomtien Complex side, it's about the second or third place after you've passed Jomtien Complex Condo, just after the perennially-deserted Miss Pattaya bar.

OK, here is my review of the Baan Jomtien Pub's fish and chips. Overall evaluation summary -- OK, but overall value proposition is a NEVER RETURN.

The details --

Fish, local, batter tasty, crust medium crispy, not greasy, moderate portion of one fillet, fish itself a bit soggy and included a disturbing wormy stringy thingie that I was able to avoid eating

Chips -- in my view, these were not homemade, clearly frozen standard crinkle cut deal, not greasy, boring chips

Garden peas, OK (mushy not offered)

Sauces -- no tartar sauce (for me a huge downside), tropical heat sitting out Thai mayo on the table :) , cheap brand Thai ketchup, good vinegar

Cost -- 150 baht (fair)

Drinks -- had a nam soda, it was 50 baht, sorry, too much for a nam soda

Menu -- I didn't notice any drink prices on the menu, that annoys me

Ambiance -- well kept Thai beer bar open air style, pleasant, relaxed, excellent American rock tunes playing, ladies past their prime date judging by my totally uninterested eye

As you can see, I am not really complaining, but in my view fish and chips is an unhealthy meal. So when I do indulge, I want it to be excellent and really satisfying. I would rather pay an extra 50 baht at Goose's and get a much better experience, especially with the tartar sauce and chips. You could do worse than Baan if you are hungry and in the neighborhood, but you could do better too.

Edited by Jingthing

I see that 'Greg's Kitchen' on Pattaya 2nd Road is advertising a Friday 'Fish & Chips' 'Special', and he says "Don't miss this one":

299 Baht: Norwegian Cod Fillet, deep fried in the chef's crispy batter served with home made chips, peas and tartare sauce and bread and butter.

Has anyone tried it?

Fish and Chips in Thailand should not cost nearly 7 euros no matter what it is..........rip off

Another problem with cod here. You pay the price. But are you always really getting cod? Of course, you know it's frozen, maybe not that bad, but frozen how long under what conditions?

Off topic but fun story -- Reminds me of an experience I had once in Bangkok. A restaurant charged me for Aussie beef and served me local beef. I am sure of it because I had been there before and had the real thing, the scam time the scamming waiter handed me a hand scribbled throwaway receipt (the boss was out).

Another thing about the local fish and chip trade. I suspect many of these places buy in premade battered fish frozen and just throw that frozen mess into the oil. Actually, I think Baan Jomtien may be doing that, but I could be wrong. You see fish and chips everywhere. Surely not everyplace is actually making this from scratch.

Edited by Jingthing

I've tried Pig & Whistle, Neeroy's located on Soi Chaiyapoon and Goose's. They were all recommended to me, but my favorite was Goose's. Very clean, yet cozy restaurant. They had a variety of fish to choose from and the batter was not overly hard. Their chips were crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.

Another problem with cod here. You pay the price. But are you always really getting cod? Of course, you know it's frozen, maybe not that bad, but frozen how long under what conditions?

Cod is one of the worst fish to keep fresh, ask anyone who has worked in a fish filleting factory in the north east of Scotland, it is a bottom feeder and full of parasites, if the production line stops for any reason before the cod is blast frozen worms will form on the underside of the semi processed fillets!!!!! I kid you not! and do you think these fillets are discarded after production resumes??? think again!!!

Haddock is what a good fish supper should consist of, HADDOCK!

Google "Ashvale Aberdeen" for an authourity on fish and chips!!! :)

I've tried Pig & Whistle, Neeroy's located on Soi Chaiyapoon and Goose's. They were all recommended to me, but my favorite was Goose's. Very clean, yet cozy restaurant. They had a variety of fish to choose from and the batter was not overly hard. Their chips were crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.

So far in Pattaya, I feel Goose's is the best I have had. However, being a near spanking new place, I find the ambiance rather sterile. However, the food trumps.

Pig and Whistle, my second best favorite.

(They have a very different style, so it can depend on what you are in the mood for.)

Neeroy's -- absolutely the WORST Fish I can even imagine! The "fish" literally tasted like wet cardboard. It was topped with a large pile of greasy batter drippings. It was really appalling! OK, their chips aren't bad, but pleeeze ... I do enjoy the seedy Cheap Charlie ambiance though .

Edited by Jingthing

So far in Pattaya, I feel Goose's is the best I have had. However, being a near spanking new place, I find the ambiance rather sterile. However, the food trumps.

(They have a very different style, so it can depend on what you are in the mood for.)

Neeroy's -- absolutely the WORST Fish I can even imagine! The "fish" literally tasted like wet cardboard. It was topped with a large pile of greasy batter drippings. It was really appalling! OK, their chips aren't bad, but pleeeze ... I do enjoy the seedy Cheap Charlie ambiance though .

Have you tried the fish and chips at the Caddy Shack? They are very good, but you're going to have to settle for a pleasant ambiance.

Its off the baht bus beating you up path, so no, have not tried it. Please let us know how you feel Moose's compares to Caddy Shack.

Another place I haven't tried yet is Mags on Thepprasit, Jomtien. Any reports about their F&C? Some of their other English food has been good.

How about Simple Simon's, soi 5, Jomtien?

Edited by Jingthing

Its off the baht bus beating you up path, so no, have not tried it. Please let us know how you feel Moose's compares to Caddy Shack.

Yeah, it's not an easy location to get to without your own transport. I find the fish & chips so good there I've stopped trying other places, but I will try out Goose's some time and I'll let you know how they compare.

Have you tried the fish and chips at the Caddy Shack? They are very good, but you're going to have to settle for a pleasant ambiance.

Yep I've tried them and they are GOOD, too much for me to finish in one go though, so I always cut in half and get them to put in a box to take home, a few minute in the microwave with new chips and I got another meal.

Yep I've tried them and they are GOOD, too much for me to finish in one go though, so I always cut in half and get them to put in a box to take home, a few minute in the microwave with new chips and I got another meal.

LOL. I usually order an extra side order of beef when I'm having fish & chips. Not because the order is small, but I need my protein.

Just tried 'Gooses' Fish 'n' chips. Had the local fillet, Chips and Garden peas. A bit Disappointed :-(

Fish and Chips needed about another 30 seconds or slightly hotter oil to be 100% cooked - Looked the part but like so many things over here weren't quite.

Another small moan was 30B for 1 slice of bread that wasn't fresh - same bread as from the Bakery on Soi exite BUT was getting on a bit ie stale!

Will give it another go if I'm passing but 6/10 from me

I have never been charged for bread there. That's weird. The owner made a point to me that a slice of bread with butter is free. Did you have two slices? Anyway, sorry to hear it didn't cut it for you. Its a bit paranoid of me, but I kind of suspect a possible petty waitress scam while the boss was out. Was the boss in? Such antics whether legit or not are a black mark on worthy Goose's. Get it together, Goose's, WE ARE WATCHING!

Its interesting what you say about the fish. I wonder if we got the same standard. To me, their style is LIGHT but good for what it is, compared to the Pig which has a thick as a brick crust. To you, perhaps getting the same thing, it was wrong.

Edited by Jingthing

Went to Goose's 23 Dec.

Had Cod, chips and mushy peas! Fish and chips were very good but mushy peas I believe were canned processed peas that had been put through a blender! (This is done in some southern restaurants in the UK).

I shall visit Goose's again next time I am in Pattaya as they are as good as any I have tried there!

Jingthing, thanks for your original recommendation!

:):D