Kawasaki Ninja 250 - New Thread, 12/2008

PeaceBlondie

Dave YSS shocks and forks are whats standard on pretty much every bike in Thailand, but oem. the shock on your old CBR was a oem YSS shock (made by YSS for Honda). when i changed mine i got offered a OEM shock at the Honda dealer 1,800baht (Honda boxed with made by YSS on it) but i got a YSS boxed one from the accessory shop for 900baht, only difference was colour of the spring and the preload adjustment was chrome not zinc.

as for forks get the Kawa ex500 springs and the YSS pd kit. i think you will find it will be lovely :o

Allan

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave YSS shocks and forks are whats standard on pretty much every bike in Thailand, but oem. the shock on your old CBR was a oem YSS shock (made by YSS for Honda). when i changed mine i got offered a OEM shock at the Honda dealer 1,800baht (Honda boxed with made by YSS on it) but i got a YSS boxed one from the accessory shop for 900baht, only difference was colour of the spring and the preload adjustment was chrome not zinc.

as for forks get the Kawa ex500 springs and the YSS pd kit. i think you will find it will be lovely :o

Allan

Thanks for the information. I don't know why I dislike the forks on the Ninja so much, either I put on more weight or they're simply not designed for my mass and that of the bikes loading them up so much on the punishing roads up where I live. You keep talkng about the YSS pd kit being good; but I noticed further up that you said it allows preload to be set easier. Is that because it allows remote adjustment? How does that work with the Ninja's handlebars (which cover the top of the forks)?

Hi Dave,

I'm glad you've not yet placed the order, as I am going to regretfully sell my beloved Ninja to make room for the new ER-6n

I placed an add on the ThaiVisa Classifieds:

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotive...thb--15874.html

Looks like I might already have a buyer :o (I'm only asking 100,000THB and the bike is spotless)

How about you my man? That little Ninja big enough for your lard butt? :D:D:D I think the ER-6n would fit your wide a$$ a lot better... :D

Happy Trails!

Tony

Looks like I already have a buyer for my Ninjette- I'm riding up to Chiang Mai tomorrow and hopefully we'll get the paperwork done on Friday. Kind buyer even offered to pay my bus fare back to Bangkok :D

Then I'll have to wait a few more days for the ER-6n... CAN'T WAIT!!! :o

I'll miss my beloved Ninjette though- what an awesome little bike :D

1025Ninja250RSm.jpg

Happy Trails!

Hi Dave,

I'm glad you've not yet placed the order, as I am going to regretfully sell my beloved Ninja to make room for the new ER-6n

I placed an add on the ThaiVisa Classifieds:

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotive...thb--15874.html

Looks like I might already have a buyer :D (I'm only asking 100,000THB and the bike is spotless)

How about you my man? That little Ninja big enough for your lard butt? :D:wai::D I think the ER-6n would fit your wide a$$ a lot better... :D

Happy Trails!

Tony

First what ever happened to dignity and respect. I'm quite sensitive about my weight and your scrawny little ass that weighs as much as my left butt cheek just has to rub it in. :o

I'm debating about adding the ER-6N to my stable (wife finally bought my CBR 150R back!), but being a Honda man through and through, I'm really interested in Honda's plans-specifically the Transalp.

PM sent.

Looks like I already have a buyer for my Ninjette- I'm riding up to Chiang Mai tomorrow and hopefully we'll get the paperwork done on Friday. Kind buyer even offered to pay my bus fare back to Bangkok :o

Well done on the sale.. you priced it right to shift and people know from your forum input how you loved and maintained it (those deep cleans etc) mind you they also are gonna know how hard you rode it :D !!

Can you sell it in a different changwat in a day ?? When I did this (Chiang Mai and Phuket) changing changwats meant a 2 week delay to the process.. But I had heard BKK plates were different and could be moved anywhere ?? So many things about this place that are hard to understand.

I am due to be at the DMV at 2pm to have my name put in the book of my new ride.

Congrats Tony, I know you will miss the little traffic beater but then again you'll get a better tourer when you fit the new one with a screen. Better sooner than later or your head will be bobbin following The Trent. Will be fun in March when we all are on 600's can stuff lot of luggage and missus if forced to and keep up nicely. Or me and Trent will backwheel next to you on your top speed :o

Cheers Bard

Dave why in the world would you get the CBR 150 back? I driven lot's of them and they are vibrating monsters who lag behind you're Ninja in any situation. Honestly with better tires and exhaust you will be a very hard match for any bike in traffic, on the highway I get 182 km/h with mine verified with 150 rear tire and it is a dream to control with the Pirellis. I race CBR 150's all the time where I honestly dust all of them with ease, so I really don't get why you want the thumper back at all. The 250 is a fantastic traffic beater flipping around traffic, I would add up with a true tour bike or race bike after that not an inferior bike like the CBR 150, would get the Honda 600 allround bike, I talked to Honda and the price will be around the same as the FZ6. The Transalp is a really great bike but they believed to be 600k+ baht so even though I love that one I put it away. I took the FZ6 of several reasons but mainly because they will boot up a new amateur race series in Thailand with 600 sport (not supersport) bikes, and there the FZ6 is pretty much alone with it's R6 engine.

Ohh btw I sold my Ninjette to Allan (thaicbr) so he has to confirm parts further on, no more add ons Allan :o

Cheers Bard

yer dang it i think you've done enough to it , though the power commander would have been nice :o . I'm just gonna get me some of them YSS pd valves. cos i am a lard arse as Trent keeps reminding me :D

still reckon that kid was doing better times than him :D

Allan

What happy news! Bard's Ninjette is going to Allan. Kinda feels like it's still in the family, so to speak :D What's to become of the SUPER SONIC??? :D

LivinLOS- I hadn't heard anything about transfer of ownership being a multi-day process. When I bought my truck from my wife (long story...) it was done on the spot and no trip to the DMV was required.

Buyer here in Chiang Mai already inquired with Chiang Mai DMV and was told that we only have to fill out one form along with the usual paperwork and it's done. Apparently he can keep the Bangkok number plate too. Lucky 777 :wai: Go figure, eh? We'll do the paperwork tomorow am and hope everything will go smoothly.

I'll even have time for a special Chiang Mai massage before my flight home.

Pick up the ER-6n on Wednesday!!! :o:D:D

Life is GOOD!

Dave why in the world would you get the CBR 150 back? I driven lot's of them and they are vibrating monsters who lag behind you're Ninja in any situation. Honestly with better tires and exhaust you will be a very hard match for any bike in traffic, on the highway I get 182 km/h with mine verified with 150 rear tire and it is a dream to control with the Pirellis. I race CBR 150's all the time where I honestly dust all of them with ease, so I really don't get why you want the thumper back at all. The 250 is a fantastic traffic beater flipping around traffic, I would add up with a true tour bike or race bike after that not an inferior bike like the CBR 150, would get the Honda 600 allround bike, I talked to Honda and the price will be around the same as the FZ6. The Transalp is a really great bike but they believed to be 600k+ baht so even though I love that one I put it away. I took the FZ6 of several reasons but mainly because they will boot up a new amateur race series in Thailand with 600 sport (not supersport) bikes, and there the FZ6 is pretty much alone with it's R6 engine.

Ohh btw I sold my Ninjette to Allan (thaicbr) so he has to confirm parts further on, no more add ons Allan :o

Cheers Bard

I suppose it was sentimental reasons more than anything; but I stand by my assertion that for in traffic usage the baby CBR is the bike to own. Perhaps with more familiarity I'll be able to whip the Ninjette around with a similiar level of confidence but with my work schedule I won't be able to any time soon. Wife was talking about visiting family down in Chonburi, I believe that a trip to Bira will be in order (as soon as I find a map to it!) to get the Pirellis. With those, the brake lines, and the Yoshi exhaust I should be happy on the few days I'm home each couple of months tearing up the country roads around where I live.

And that's really what it comes down to; work schedule. Not all of us are blessed with either residency or 28 on 28 off. I wish I was, but sadly am not. The plan is to get a touring style bike when the move to LOS is complete since I think that I'm same-same as Tony; my balls out riding days are essentially behind me. Not so happy about the Transalp's price. I understand it's actually a 700, but only puts out some 43 HP and therefore seemed perfect to me.

And Allan, congrats on your purchase, hope you enjoy it as much as the others on the forum have enjoyed their's.

Put me in the camp of also not seeing the appeal of keeping a CBR when you have a ninjette.. To me the ninjette is the CBR+ on almost every level (turning lock perhaps) ?? Except perhaps the tiniest additional width which would be made irrelevant with a larger rider sticking out both sides of it..

Also tho put me in the camp that in a town / city / urban environment, I reckon a motard is the toy, maybe its the way I can sit up on a motard (or the fact my early riing years were all off road MX'ers) and hence feel more balanced in stop and go traffic than I do with a low bar sportbike, for me a sport position is for open roads and a motard position is for cutting and diving. I guess this is influencing my choice to make a sportbike into a streetfighter. Combo of all worlds.

If I lived in the north, and had enough play money to indulge myself, I could see myself owning a larger sport tourer (min 600 pref more) naked style machine, and a XR400 (or DRZ or perhaps a hotted up D-Tracker) with both off road and road wheels. Then you have the 'out for a blast' and 'out round town' and a 'out over the border to Laos' or 'out in the woods' quiver out of 2 bikes !! Course I can see why guys close to a track want to keep some kind of track machine for toytime too, but as some stage you have to need a even bigger garage :o !!

Thanks Dave. it will be fun to have a bike i can just get on and ride. by the way do you still want a CBR250. Mines up for sale at 45,000baht, green book, alpha10 tyres, 520 chain mod, streetfightered. PM me if interested.

Allan

Thanks Dave. it will be fun to have a bike i can just get on and ride. by the way do you still want a CBR250. Mines up for sale at 45,000baht, green book, alpha10 tyres, 520 chain mod, streetfightered. PM me if interested.

Allan

I will ask around on that.. I might know a kid who would fit that.. Does it have any known faults ?? Or things that need attention ??

Also need to point out.. Fighters (which I am doing now) are going to have sale problems on phuket due to modifications, confirmed that yesterday with the DMV, wont transfer them here !! So if I ever sell it will need to be an out of province sale.

LivinLOS. that's so weird that the DMV even know what its supposed to look like. ALSO mine has been fightered using Honda parts eg the headlight is a sonic unit. at 1st glance it looks like its made by Honda (admittedly on a bad day) :D

Now no known faults, carbs probably need balancing. and i'm just getting a faulty drive chain replaced under warranty.

it is an old bike and does need tender loving care (you get silly little things going wrong, like throttle cable snapping. both have been replaced). The green book is still in the old owners name as i never bothered changing it but i have the transfer and copy of id card.

funny thing is when i was riding it every day i had no problems, when i start using it just at the weekend and a planned track day the thing let me down (cable):o

i have ridden with Trent, Bard etc so they can tell ya what its like.

Allan

I too am amazed at the 'no modifications' rule and want to point out that I have heard it nowhere else. It does interest me highly as I have a machine I am fightering and am going to do it to a nice standard, this means it will have to remain mine forever or only sell outside of the province.

When we went there yesterday (transfer failed due to poor info from a handling agent, too many hoops to jump through in my name, repeating in the missus's name today) they made a big deal, spent 15 mins going over it with a fine tooth comb (while every car and bike breezed through in 30 secs flat) and then wheeled it out into the sun and took many digital photos from all angles !! It seems Phuket with its bent customs thieves, impounding legal bikes and ransoming them back, roadblocks every day, and now the uncooperative DMV, wish to be as hard as possible on (farang) big bike owners.

Put me in the camp of also not seeing the appeal of keeping a CBR when you have a ninjette.. To me the ninjette is the CBR+ on almost every level (turning lock perhaps) ?? Except perhaps the tiniest additional width which would be made irrelevant with a larger rider sticking out both sides of it..

Also tho put me in the camp that in a town / city / urban environment, I reckon a motard is the toy, maybe its the way I can sit up on a motard (or the fact my early riing years were all off road MX'ers) and hence feel more balanced in stop and go traffic than I do with a low bar sportbike, for me a sport position is for open roads and a motard position is for cutting and diving. I guess this is influencing my choice to make a sportbike into a streetfighter. Combo of all worlds.

If I lived in the north, and had enough play money to indulge myself, I could see myself owning a larger sport tourer (min 600 pref more) naked style machine, and a XR400 (or DRZ or perhaps a hotted up D-Tracker) with both off road and road wheels. Then you have the 'out for a blast' and 'out round town' and a 'out over the border to Laos' or 'out in the woods' quiver out of 2 bikes !! Course I can see why guys close to a track want to keep some kind of track machine for toytime too, but as some stage you have to need a even bigger garage :D !!

I'll be honest; there really isn't much reason in having two bikes this 'close' together. And by close together I'm talking about style of bike, performance relative to other bikes, etc.

But reasoning didn't have any bearing in my actions. I have quite an affinity for the little CBR; it's seen me around the country and had provided me with some great rides. I've learned to deal with its faults and exploit its strenghts. It's never failed me with the exception of a couple of burnt out light bulbs. The milage of it is simply astounding and yet it will still keep ahead of all the rest of the traffic up where I'm at. Riding it in Bangkok I was able to stick and jab with the most suicidal Thai on his Sonic and when I got an opening dust him off.

The Ninja is definitely more comfortable on the long haul though. The smoothness, not that the CBR's single cylinder ever produced enough vibration to bother me, is evident and the tireless way it can lop off the miles needs to be commended. However, what good does that really do me? If I do a long distance ride you can bet your ass that the wife will want to go--but she won't ride it with me especially with the baby. So that means I have to use a local as her chauffeur. Or I'd have to load up the bike in the back of my Pre-Runner and take it with me. Say I went up to Chiang Mai; the first option would be ok, but then what am I going to do with my lack of experience riding the Ninja inside the city would be a distinctly non-fun proposition. If I went the second route, I could simply load my CBR up in the back of the truck, have plenty of room around it for luggage without having to worry about scratching the extensive plastic and go. Upon arrival I can quickly unload the bike and start tearing around on a familiar mount. Going out on those nice 'curvey' roads I'd be able (from what was posted about average speeds) to not be left behind.

God if that last paragraph wasn't an attempt at justification........

Actually in regards to your motard comments; I continue to be surprised at just how much the little Ninja and the CBR keep you upright. I do agree with you about the choices of bikes, but mine would have to be Honda. :o

Dave mate. I would put the Ninja up for sale. price it well and it will fly out the door then get ya self a nice streetfightered CBR250, 19,000RPM LOVER :o .

FOR JUST 45,000 BAHT. SUPER grippy tyres already fitted. and geared for tearing up the lanes. bloody marvellous :D .

Allan

Thank you for all of the inquiries- my Ninja 250R listing in the ThaiVisa classifieds has been sold.

Transfer of ownership in Chiang Mai, despite the bike being registered in Bangkok, was a breeze and cost all of 25 Baht!

Picking up the new ER-6n on Wednesday! :o:D:D

Thank you for all of the inquiries- my Ninja 250R listing in the ThaiVisa classifieds has been sold.

Transfer of ownership in Chiang Mai, despite the bike being registered in Bangkok, was a breeze and cost all of 25 Baht!

Picking up the new ER-6n on Wednesday! :o:D:D

So you're back in LOS? You're not cruising around on a Click in the meanwhile are you? :D

Hi Dave!

Yeah- I got back on Monday- went from Amsterdam to Bangkok to home to Kwacker Big Bike to reserve my ER-6n.

Placed an add for my Ninjette on Tuesday, got a firm commitment to buy on Wednesday, and rode it up to Chiang Mai yesterday. Did the transfer of ownership this morning and flew back to Swampyboom on a delayed TG flight that got me home just after noon with 100,000THB in my pocket! What a week!!!

And yes Dave, I'm am riding the Click until I can pick up the new ER-6n on Wednesday. :D (I hear Trent sold his XJR1300, aka the T Rex, and is tearing around Bangkok on a Wave until his FZ6 arrives from Japan) :D

Did you ever get your Ninjette fixed up? I recall you were toying with a few different options and would love to see how it turned out. (Hope you didn't go for the Hello Kitty Pink version you were considering!!!) :D:D:o

2467276157_71df6c105f.jpg

Happy Trails!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Hi Dave!

Yeah- I got back on Monday- went from Amsterdam to Bangkok to home to Kwacker Big Bike to reserve my ER-6n.

Placed an add for my Ninjette on Tuesday, got a firm commitment to buy on Wednesday, and rode it up to Chiang Mai yesterday. Did the transfer of ownership this morning and flew back to Swampyboom on a delayed TG flight that got me home just after noon with 100,000THB in my pocket! What a week!!!

And yes Dave, I'm am riding the Click until I can pick up the new ER-6n on Wednesday. :D (I hear Trent sold his XJR1300, aka the T Rex, and is tearing around Bangkok on a Wave until his FZ6 arrives from Japan) :D

Did you ever get your Ninjette fixed up? I recall you were toying with a few different options and would love to see how it turned out. (Hope you didn't go for the Hello Kitty Pink version you were considering!!!) :D:D:o

2467276157_71df6c105f.jpg

Happy Trails!

Yeah, I scratched that Hello Kitty idea; don't need any questions about my preferences. I woultake that front end off that bike pictured above though; don't know what type of forks those are (kinda looking like Ohlins) but the radial Brembo brakes look really nice.

The missus took the bike into the dealership and had them repair it. Was a bit disappointed that they were going to replace the front plastic fairing; I had just planned to get it sanded down and resprayed. The rear tail peace was also replace and a new direction indicator was sourced (I had planned on getting some lights that would have fit down in those holes the lobster eyes stick out of--will probably end up doing that anyways).

flush_mount_ninja_250r.jpg

The Yoshi can, brake lines, K&N filtres, and Pirelli tyres are probably all I'll do to the bike for now. Bard's supposed to be picking me up the Monster graphic kit from merry olde London, so that will go on also but not all of it, might be too gaudy...

w732h504_00000340EB176997.jpg

Bard's supposed to be picking me up the Monster graphic kit from merry olde London, so that will go on also but not all of it, might be too gaudy...

Those look dreadful, wouldn't put them anywhere near my pretty little Ninja.

That's the good thing about people, we're all different. Wait till you see it applied than judge...I'm hoping it turns out 1/2 as cool as the actual MotoGP bike.

2979646950_846b33e9a5.jpg

Bought it fitted by Highsidetours (Graham) on Bira track for 9,400,- Baht this is the recommended track / road tire. Simon installed the same kit and the first thing you notice is the smooth riding after, all the small bumps disappear due to softer compound, incredible grip and the bike is way more stable in crosswind etc. Another thing worth while mentioning these tires are noticeably much lighter than the stock plastic ones. The stock I just refer to as teflon tires...

A bit expensive as you can get the BT 090's for a tad over 7000 baht, but I am very pleased with them and just the relaxed riding after when you can thrust the tires is worth it. Not fun to sit tensed up riding, just waiting for the next slide...

Cheers Bard

Bard - How are the Pirelli's in the rain? Can someone deliver the tires to be in Bangkok (like this week?)!!

I really want to get some new rubber for my bike before I kill myself.

Ithailian. if they are anything like the Dunlop Alpha 10's that i have on my CBR250 (for sale) THEY WILL BE FANTASTIC. rain or shine (better when its dry, but no drama's in the wet) and 500% better than than the stock IRC condoms.

Allan