Two New(old) Bikes From Tiger Motorcycles. What Ya Think?

thaicbr

What do you think?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

About Kymco, they indeed make good bikes, but just one of their daughter companies (Kymco Indonesia) went bankrupt... But still there is a huge difference between build by Taiwan and build by Chinese mainland. Even that said we can find top grade products in China mainland companies as well, but they are than also not cheap...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thx Richard,

Can you get Kymocos (or parts) here? They have the hub I need to go to a bigger wheel on my Zoomer and I don't want to send to Taiwan.

I guess I am asking if the parts are Chinese made. I think if they make the bikes at an old Kawa factory and they just use old stuff as was suggested that the c-types would not be being made, so I would guess they are buying parts and importing them.

I am hoping that allan or mbox rejoin the conversation :o

He Bowery99,

For Kymco Parts in Thailand, you best contact Wendy Sulaiman (wendysulaiman (at) yahoo.com), she works for the regional partner of Kymco, sending you some parts would be no problem for her.

All the best...

Richard

Tiger did in the past not only manufactured Kawasaki parts and bikes, they manufactured products for many motorcycle brands. Even today, you would be surprised to know that a large group of products on/for modern Kawasaki's, and other bikes, that are still manufactured on the same address as where the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is coming from.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Thx Richard,

Can you get Kymocos (or parts) here? They have the hub I need to go to a bigger wheel on my Zoomer and I don't want to send to Taiwan.

I guess I am asking if the parts are Chinese made. I think if they make the bikes at an old Kawa factory and they just use old stuff as was suggested that the c-types would not be being made, so I would guess they are buying parts and importing them.

I am hoping that allan or mbox rejoin the conversation :o

Hi Bowery99,

I am still watching the conversation but have not much idea in regards of Kymocos parts ...so there isn't much need to post on something i am not fully aware of, nor would it be beneficially to the thread.

mbox

Edited by mbox

thx mbox please read the post of mine from earlier I would be interested in the tour and would consider buying the 70cc Chappy/Charlie type bike is there any info (like price) about it? Plus I liked the retro and am in the market for something soon.

And Richard thx for the other info. I may go bigger (on both front and back) and wider on my back Zoomer wheel because of that!

Edited by Bowery99

thx mbox please read the post of mine from earlier I would be interested in the tour and would consider buying the 70cc Chappy/Charlie type bike is there any info (like price) about it? Plus I liked the retro and am in the market for something soon.

And Richard thx for the other info. I may go bigger (on both front and back) and wider on my back Zoomer wheel because of that!

Hi browery99

I think it is best if you contact khun pariya about the factory visit-should be no problem . You will find the contact details here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...amp;p=2649509.  The retro will be available, according to khun pariya, by end of may. Price of the retro is 29800 ,- if i read that correctly on beginnin of this thread.There is not much other info i can really give on this. 

hope that helps,

mbox

Edited by mbox

"Looks like tiger have bought up somebodys 35 year old parts bin, probabaly better than platinum, but thats not really a positive reference im afraid,"

Imanegg. The parts bin you refer to is Tigers own as they have been producing motorcycles and parts for about 30 years now. I believe that they were the Kawasaki assembler pre 1997 economic crash after which Kawasaki took over operations. and that happened to a LOT of businesses in the region not just Tiger. But here we are in 2009 and not only are Tiger still here but also making new bikes available. maybe you dont like them and thats fine, but choice is good. You only have to look back a few years and see there was NO choice for new bikes above 150cc unless you were seriously rich HD etc

also let me refer to the platinum question. Platinum being a 2nd tier chinese manufacturer (assembler) eg a company that buys in all its parts engines etc and effectively just makes its own pigeon sh+t welded frames.

I would think that having the Tiger factory that actually builds the bikes & engines in this country, with FULL spares availability (as in every component) would be a very POSITIVE reference.

And before anybody gets on their high horse claiming that I'm on Tigers payroll...I'm NOT... BUT if Pariya is reading this then a couple of thousand off my girlfriends new Retro wouldn't go amiss :D:D:wai::P :jerk: :burp::burp:

Happy riding Allan

So, no old Japanese parts in the Tiger bikes then ? :o .the bike market is a joke in Thailand,even the staff fronting the displays at these motor shows know nothing, a year ago i saw the Sachs 250 ( although i dont want one ) at the motor show,a year on still no 250,.i wont comment on Yamaha.Suzuki/Honda as they dont deserve one,however hats off to Kawasaki for "having a go ".i am not saying tiger is a bad bike, however if in cars you were to compare an older Skoda to aToyota ,that to me is the difference between a Tiger and a bike from the big 4,.lots of happy skoda owners about im sure,.if price is your number one factor on purchase choice then get a Tiger, me, id buy a good secondhand Japanese bike,.to each there own,. :D

sorry mr. skoda but i didn't buy my Tiger in paricular view of the price .....however,the low price is merely an positive sideeffect. I find the tiger perfect for my needs....i had a look on the kawasaki er6n too, nice bike but not narrow enough to go in town. I had a lot of secondhand bikes here , from virago over vfr 750 to vmax1200 ( and more) and can honestly tell you, none of them had the right papers....either an "invoice" which doesn't make it legal or a green book where the bikes nrs have been "reframed" which is even worse. Another big issue is to actually get spares.....i had my vmax,virago,vfr750... more on repair than riding it....

The Tiger Boxer is a slim bike with enough power delivered from 250cc engine to overtake on the open road, and going in the hills, great availability of spares ,an excellent service that i so far had from tiger plus a 100% legal Bike. There is sure more to point out but these are some of the most important issues to me.

I would compare not an old skoda to a toyota but Tata Xenon to a Toyota Vigo.....Tata isn't popular here cause nobody ever tried it and a relatively unknown brand here ....Toyota is popular because of Advertising everyone seems to have one ( despite the fact of safetyflaws in the car...) .....so it is a matter of advertising to get Tiger more popular....nothing more

mbox

hi mbox, id say you missed out the best comparison, ( for size ) the klx or d tracker, i wouldnt think any of the others you mentioned were a comparison to a tiger, unless of course you were talking price ( although i doubt it as you mentioned an er6 er, ) enjoy your bike, im sure it will be fine,. :D

I tried both of them too(klx &d tracker) as well (just never pointed it out) and still bought a Tiger Boxer 250 RS. I found it the better bike for me and my needs. If i had a choice from these 3 Kawasaki bikes:  klx , dtracker or er6n than it would surely be the er6n....lucky there was a tiger boxer too here:-) 

mbox

TT 150 Choosen as the prettiest bike on the BKK Motorshow.

Hi to all of you ,

FIRST

I was in Pattaya last week and i bumped into a Pattaya mail. There was a review from 2 reporters about the BKK motorshow. Both choose the TT 150 as the prettiest bike on the Show. Honda was obvious the least appreciated manufacturer with the ugliest bike as well .

Unfortunately i left my Pattaya mail at my friends home hopefully it didnt end up in the bin yet . I would like to ask permission from both Thaivisa and pattaya mail to post it here. Otherwise some members here wont believe me again .

Cheers Charlie

He Charlie,

I not need the Pattaya Mail to know this, as I said before, for Honda it was better to visit the dealer on the corner as they had more to show... The Honda booth at the Bangkok Motorshow was one big joke, it was good for a few laughs.

I was very happy, and a bit surprised, to see that Tiger was the only one with 150cc motorcycles...

Hi Richard,.

I do agree with you. But im a bit cautious after the critics i received here already. Honda booth was indeed a big joke. so their models.

It took me more than 5 mins to get any information from a representative there. They werent busy with customers cos they didnt have any. Just not interested.

good for the olther brands

Charlie

TT 150 Choosen as the prettiest bike on the BKK Motorshow.

Hi to all of you ,

FIRST

I was in Pattaya last week and i bumped into a Pattaya mail. There was a review from 2 reporters about the BKK motorshow. Both choose the TT 150 as the prettiest bike on the Show. Honda was obvious the least appreciated manufacturer with the ugliest bike as well .

Unfortunately i left my Pattaya mail at my friends home hopefully it didnt end up in the bin yet . I would like to ask permission from both Thaivisa and pattaya mail to post it here. Otherwise some members here wont believe me again .

Cheers Charlie

No Sweat Charlie,

The 2 model gals searched our house & finally found your newspaper with the Tiger write up that you want, so dont worry its now safe we can mail it on to you when its required ok.

Bros.

Hiya Tony. did ya have a ride on Charlies bike, if so what did ya think?

Allan

Hi Allan

I would have tried charlies 250 boxer but I have had an evil dose of flu for 2 weeks & was afraid that I would most likley fall off the thing & break the boys heart before I got a leg over it ( no power - me, not the boxer)

But I did have a very long hard look at it & have to say overall Im more impressed than ever & couldent fault it, its really nicely put togeather, & more than good value for the price,

Charlie & his very pretty lady seem to almost live on their Boxer, she is a sure candidate for the skin tight all black leather look referred to elsewhere. ( thats a compliment Charlie )

At this moment Im waiting for Pariya at Tigers to tell me as to how soon I can pay deposit & order the little TT150,

that should be a real fun bike round pattaya & if It does turn out to be a bit small I can always get a second one for the other foot, I will keep you posted soon as an orders accepted.

Question Please for anyone on this forum with the right knowlege, whats generally known to be the stickiest tire brand available in Thailand ? ?

Rubbers far cheaper than either my skin or the bike, so the life expectancy of whatever Tire you guys do suggest is not an issue,

if there exists anything that sticks like c--p to a blanket thats what I want to know please, in Uk there are track day tires that are really really grippy, but do they exist in Thailand ??

Also whats best Tubed or Tubeless ??

All information will be appreciated thank you.

Bros.

SABAIJAI. It's narrower but not by a huge amount. the tank on the tt is narrower than the 250 also the wheelbase is a little shorter. It is made with the Asian male in mind (Thai,Japanese etc).

CMAISUPERFLY. Pariya has just told me today that the Sachs will be a month or so, becausethey are very busy with the Retro and TT150. He has told me they are going to be at the BKK bike show thing at central world next weel 1st-3rd May. so check them out if ya in BKK. Allan

SABAIJAI. It's narrower but not by a huge amount. the tank on the tt is narrower than the 250 also the wheelbase is a little shorter. It is made with the Asian male in mind (Thai,Japanese etc).

CMAISUPERFLY. Pariya has just told me today that the Sachs will be a month or so, becausethey are very busy with the Retro and TT150. He has told me they are going to be at the BKK bike show thing at central world next weel 1st-3rd May. so check them out if ya in BKK. Allan

Hi Allen,

Can you tell me exactly where the Central World bike show in Bkk is located as I would like to go & have a look at what Tiger has to show ?

also do you know are the 1st to 3rd of May correct official dates ?

Previously I thought the centre of the world was my friends Tillac Go Go bar in soi cowboy, now I learn there is another bigger one hey ? tee hee hee.

Bros.

Why by something like that when you can restore a classic?

Because i have'nt the time or inclanation to restore a classic :) . and for the low price i get a brand new classic looking bike with 2 years warranty. not a 20+ year old bike which may or may not let me down. also i personally want the power of a more modern bike. The Retro for example is 110cc compared to 90cc of the largest Honda cub the C90

Thank you though for your constructive post. i believe someone said the same thing on page 1.

Not only that but it is such a shameful rip off of some nice Honda's

Well the Retro is but not sure if the TT150 is based on a Honda.

And jezzzzus what do you think the japs did in the 50's and 60's they did shameful ripoffs off every thing under the sun :D:D:D

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

Because i have'nt the time or inclanation to restore a classic :) . and for the low price i get a brand new classic looking bike with 2 years warranty. not a 20+ year old bike which may or may not let me down. also i personally want the power of a more modern bike. The Retro for example is 110cc compared to 90cc of the largest Honda cub the C90

Thank you though for your constructive post. i believe someone said the same thing on page 1.

And jezzzzus what do you think the japs did in the 50's and 60's they did shameful ripoffs off every thing under the sun :D:D:D

Allan

Then get a Cb70 w/ plate for 12k or a Cb90 for 16k or a Cb70 with a swapped 125cc for like 20-22 :D

I think you might be right about the second one, but I believe there are some older hondas that look like it, perhaps it was the G series I am thinking of?

The chaly I posted, I swapped in a dream 100cc and added a piston from a cheer, would lift wheels in first and 2nd and easly hit 80kph. That was more than enough power to get around town and even up Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai :D

But you are right about the time, investments and warranty. But from what I have been warned about from multiple Thai friends, including the mechanics who helped me build my bike, is to stay away from JRD and Tiger. So the 30+ year old bike might be more reliable :cheers:

Hi BlackArtemis,

I own a Tiger myself and i never had any problems so far. Thai people are still living in another era,(They are thinking tiger is still building crap jokers,any brand makes a mistake )And talking about bikes is also not really their cup of tea .except a few ones .

If i tell them my Boxer is Italian (same logo as MV AGUSTA) they say great european bike imported GOOD

5 minutes later i tell them Thai made they say bad crap waste of money .

WHY ????????????? They don't have any idea ......

But i dont care i amazed already a lot of people with my boxer

Retro ripoff (who cares)

According to Pariya The retro is a huge success for tiger one dealer sold already 200 units (an issarn dealer) He told me also that the engine has proven its qlty and nearly never fails.same as The boxer currently there are nearly 100000 200 cc engines sold only in Thailand.

Why shouldn't the tiger be reliable ?

Tell me .....

Charlie

Allan

Then get a Cb70 w/ plate for 12k or a Cb90 for 16k or a Cb70 with a swapped 125cc for like 20-22 :D

I think you might be right about the second one, but I believe there are some older hondas that look like it, perhaps it was the G series I am thinking of?

The chaly I posted, I swapped in a dream 100cc and added a piston from a cheer, would lift wheels in first and 2nd and easly hit 80kph. That was more than enough power to get around town and even up Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai :D

But you are right about the time, investments and warranty. But from what I have been warned about from multiple Thai friends, including the mechanics who helped me build my bike, is to stay away from JRD and Tiger. So the 30+ year old bike might be more reliable :cheers:

Oh No Not Again,

this last paragraph sounds just like my ex, skilled & knowlegable ( he said ) Thai mechanic, thats the same one who works in the dirt on the sh--ty floor cos he sleeps on the work bench, & left 1/2 the oil out of my engine nicked the gasoline & stole/swopped my bikes seat recently ) yea, that guy.

He also said Tiger no good ! then when pressed hard admitted never having touched, worked on, ridden or even looked at 1 close up, do these people have second site or what ?

If someone had some fun & placed a Cagiva or MV Agusta badge on the Tiger tank then the self same people would likley be knowingly saying, Ah import from Italy number 1, very good bike !

In the meantime, just sheer Time, their excellent large sales results plus Tigers bursting order book both domestic & export will soon make clear if the product is good or not, wont it ?

& all this good stuff is happening for Tiger now, right in the middle of the worst world recession in 50 years when major companies world wide are going to the wall daily.

my money will be on Tiger all day.

Bros.

Hi :)

I only hope Tiger will still have a Retro for me by the time i get the money together....... they seem to sell like hot cake? And the TT 150 is definitely also a copy of an old Honda model, to be precise a Honda "Dream 50 S" which was a racing machine that is currently being sold by Honda themselves as a street-legal "replica", please see attached picture.

Best regards....

Thanh

post-13387-1241017866_thumb.jpg

I only hope Tiger will still have a Retro for me by the time i get the money together....... they seem to sell like hot cake? And the TT 150 is definitely also a copy of an old Honda model, to be precise a Honda "Dream 50 S" which was a racing machine that is currently being sold by Honda themselves as a street-legal "replica", please see attached picture.

Best regards....

Thanh

I had noticed that before; however the Honduh is only a 50cc. I'm much more interested in their 92hp RS250R.....why can't we get that in LOS? Granted it would need lights and all, but that's easily remedied with some trick LED bits.

main.jpg

**edit**

Don't want to turn this into a Honda thread so let me point out that IF Tiger releases a TT with their 200 or 250 in it I'll buy it; however I still lust after a 2 stroke since the only one I've ever owned was a Motobecane. In fact this is an exact copy of the one I had....

moped1.jpg

Edited by dave_boo

Hey good one Tony,

some other interesting details

first

the current engineers are ex-kawasaki engineers. Tigers factory was kawasaki before

second.

Tiger has also an input from cagiva (MV AGUSTA) anyone knows what the italian engineering stands for . these are enough reasons for me to believe that Tiger is now capable tp produce a reliable bike

third.

HONDA isnt willing to listen to their customers and they are giving the market away . If Tiger is capable to produce a RETRO for only 29800 baht which seems to be good. the market will be gone for Honda

They lost already a huge part of the market to the FINO(yamaha)

fourth

when i left from your house Tony i did another roundtrip about 1400 km. I rode constantly at 120 - 130 km/h upon arrival i checked the oil and their wasnt a drop of oil gone I'm using Motul 15 w 50 i change the oil every 5000 km .

Give me a two-stroke any day!! That RS 250 R looks good........... however the little Honda (Dream 50) is something special,. too - after all, how many 50cc's do you know with a four-valve DOHC four-stroke that makes 9 HP at 16,000 rpm..? And does so happily all day long :D Honda were the only ones to compete in the German 50cc class with FOUR STROKE engines, this Dream 50 was built for that purpose back then (Honda even at some stage brought a 2-cylinder DOHC 8V, that is 25 ccm per cylinder and four valves for that!) however that one wasn't reliable enough.

Do you believe me when i say that i owned exactly such Motobecane? Just in blue :D That engine is some type of universal engine which is available under a dozen or more brand names, in Germany mostly as "Solo" (made by Casal, Portugal). Didn't pull a sausage off a plate that thing but was unbreakable.

Again regarding my love for two-strokes - as it stands, the only four-stroke i'd ever consider buying and actually riding would be the Honda Super Cub. BUT now Tiger has the same bike, just in new. So THAT one it's gonna be, my decision stands. One day i'll own a Retro. Thank you, Tiger, for bringing back what Honda refuses to sell here - the Super Cub. The best-looking moped ever made.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

hi Dave if you love a 2 stroke look at TIGERS sister CAGIVA raptor 125 cc 2 stroke .

Not available in thailand

post-69913-1241019945_thumb.jpg

charlie

Yeah Cagiva or even an Aprila would be nice; with all the modern advances they have to be clean enough to pass emissions but oh well. Here's an Aprilia RS 125 RSV.

aprilia-rs125.jpg

Do you believe me when i say that i owned exactly such Motobecane?

Yeah, I'm not sure but I think I was the only one in my State that had one. Of course I was a selvete sub-75kg pup and it wasn't too bad power-wise especially since it was that or riding my 10-speed which was nearly as fast but much more tiring! I did manage to blow the head gasket and trying to find one of those was impossible in the pre-internet days so I ended up fabricating my own with a bunch of empty Mountain Dew cans and some punches. I of course decided to raise the compression level by reducing the number of layers in my spiffy sandwhich. Not a bad idea I thought because the compression release valve was there handy for me and also as long as I pedaled it up the overpass gravity would assist me in starting it on the way down. Well it worked really well until I got on the throttle and the increased pressure started blowing out sections of the 'gasket'. Spending some money on copper stock and some time on a roller press got it squared away eventually.

That is good information about the Dream 50; it still isn't quite what I'm looking for plus you end up having to pay the Honda tax; I can't imagine it coming close to the Tiger price point for their TT. Add in the fact that the Tiger is made in LOS, doesn't have import tax (?), has a road warranty, and can get registered-and thus insured(!)-I don't see the advantage of the Honda. And this comes from an admitted Honda whore.