How Much To Build A Budget House

I am thinking of building a house for my wifes mum and dad, about 5 metres by 10 metres, 1 bedroom and toilet with shower and budget floor tiles throughout, lets say a concrete base blocks and a budget roof tile, my wife says about 100,000 baht is that correct, its up the jungle kon kean way

In many Home Marts and in many of the "building permit office" at a local Government office complex you might find paper back copies of the "free Government House Plans" which as I recall is actually three different books. One of the books I viewed had plans for smaller sensible homes for Thai people and in those books it sort of had an estimate of building costs. As I understand these costs might not be quite up to date, but certainly you and your wife looking at the book (loaned free as I recall) you can get a real idea of house and room sizes. I recall seeing homes listing a building cost in that price range, especially if family do the vast majority of the work. These books of plans have been written mentioned in MANY posts on Thai Visa and are approved plans done by Thai Architects. These are not house plan books like you would BUY at a book store, rather sensible house plan books for helping Thai people self build a safe home in a Thai community.

Another house plan book at the Government office was for "shop houses" and another for larger and two story homes. They had some nice looking basic homes with plans suitable for family house builders.

Even the CPA roof tile calendar has basic house plans with a drawing of what the house could look like. Some very small homes, some a bit larger on this free calendar from Home Mart.

Wild cards would be what level of electrical and water hookup you all feel is safe and appropriate, and how close to municipal water supply and/or provincial electricity supply wires the family home would be. What grade paint, what brand of paint and how long you want it to stay painted could change your budget. Roof tile could be sheets of tin, or any of the types made by CPA and it's many competitors. The type of roof "tiles" could change that suggested price greatly, but sheets of tin like MANY village homes have installed would keep your INITIAL building costs low.

In many Home Marts and in many of the "building permit office" at a local Government office complex you might find paper back copies of the "free Government House Plans" which as I recall is actually three different books. One of the books I viewed had plans for smaller sensible homes for Thai people and in those books it sort of had an estimate of building costs. As I understand these costs might not be quite up to date, but certainly you and your wife looking at the book (loaned free as I recall) you can get a real idea of house and room sizes. I recall seeing homes listing a building cost in that price range, especially if family do the vast majority of the work. These books of plans have been written mentioned in MANY posts on Thai Visa and are approved plans done by Thai Architects. These are not house plan books like you would BUY at a book store, rather sensible house plan books for helping Thai people self build a safe home in a Thai community.

Another house plan book at the Government office was for "shop houses" and another for larger and two story homes. They had some nice looking basic homes with plans suitable for family house builders.

Even the CPA roof tile calendar has basic house plans with a drawing of what the house could look like. Some very small homes, some a bit larger on this free calendar from Home Mart.

Wild cards would be what level of electrical and water hookup you all feel is safe and appropriate, and how close to municipal water supply and/or provincial electricity supply wires the family home would be. What grade paint, what brand of paint and how long you want it to stay painted could change your budget. Roof tile could be sheets of tin, or any of the types made by CPA and it's many competitors. The type of roof "tiles" could change that suggested price greatly, but sheets of tin like MANY village homes have installed would keep your INITIAL building costs low.

thank you very much for your knowledge

Have a look here http://www.dpt.go.th/download/PW/house_model/framehome.html

Try it with Google translator http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...history_state0=

The costings are sadly about 6 years out of date so you'll need to apply a correction.

The plans are available for download on the site, but you'll probably find it easier here:- http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans/index.html

Edited by Crossy

We used a book of plans published by the govt. and available locally. It showed a range of plans, views of the floor plan and finished size and appearance, etc. We chose a 7 by 7 meter plan and enclosed the carport as an indoor kitchen. We got bids from several local builders in the range of 600K baht. But the add-ons add on and on. Land fill, retaining walls, gates, service entrances, air con, carport, driveway - more like 800K plus the land. But we are very pleased.

I am thinking of building a house for my wifes mum and dad, about 5 metres by 10 metres, 1 bedroom and toilet with shower and budget floor tiles throughout, lets say a concrete base blocks and a budget roof tile, my wife says about 100,000 baht is that correct, its up the jungle kon kean way

Yes, this is possible, if the family are doing most of the building for free.

If you are paying a builder, then no, very unlikely. When you employ a builder, you will have to supply food and Thai whiskey to the crew as well as the labour cost.

If you have to raise soil levels, that can add a lot to the budget.

Possible but very tight budget.

Attached pic of my 'granny house' 64 sq meters:

LABOR 50,000

MATERIEL 120,000

ROOF 16,223

WINDOWS/door 25,000

ELECTRIC 19,814

total 231,037

1 Bedroom 1 inside toilet plus 1 outside asian toilet, lounge.

C-Pak roof at the front, cement board on the rear.

Two walls facing the sun Q Con other two cinder block

Tiles through out

Aluminum doors and windows

No air con no hot water

Large covered deck at rear for sitting

post-22250-1238729835_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rimmer

Sorry the actual area is as follows:

LOUNGE 23.0

BEDROOM 13.0

BATHROOM 4.0

DECK 12

TOILET 3.0

TOTAL 56.0 square meters

I used premium grade Cotto tiles but if as you say you are using a lower price tile there is considerable saving there.

Also typically windows and doors up country would be wood. I used aluminum because I got an all in price.

Another saving for you.

I can't imagine how I got 19,814 for the electrics as I ran a simple ring main under the floor concrete in conduit from a four way box. Maybe a mistake on that.