Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

BANK OF Ayuthaya

I was at Don Mueang airport today and gave a test using a VISA ATM.

The fee of 150 bt popped up and I canceled the transaction

Waited until I got to Udon Thani airport where there is a GSB ATM and still NO Fee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Nationwide Visa's 1% and 150 baht, it's the periodic international t/f into Kasikorn at £25 a time for me. £5 or so every time I hit the 10,000 baht button doesn't make sense.

£9.50 with Halifax online.

I must say, the reports here about Bank of Ayudhya have been very unclear as to its status.

I haven't tried BofA lately, because I have easy and clearer no-fee options like UOB, GSB and AEON. So I have no reason to mess with BofA these days.

But some folks say BofA is charging the fee, others say they aren't, and some have said they see a fee notice on the ATM screen, but then don't actually get charged it for the transaction.

I hope somewhere, somehow, we can find some clarity about this...so folks know what to expect if they go to a BofA ATM.

If it's any help.

I have just withdrawn 10000Baht using Nationwide FLEX Debit Card from an Ayudhya ATM, I didn't see any advice on the fee as I used the quick 10000Baht option. It cost me £179.46 giving a total exchange rate of 55.72. At that time the Bank of Ayudhya web site was showing TT rate of 56.01 and Bangkok Bank TT rate showing 55.79. In the past I have always found the exchange rate to be close to that quoted by BB.

I also talked to Moneycorp as to the rate, they charge £15 to send money, their site said 56.19 which I though was good, however he offered me 55.05. He tried to explain the difference and said it was only about one baht, to which I replied thats about 2% and on top of that is another £15.

So, at present it looks like Flex and Ayudhya for me.

AEON ATM situated in Carrefour central Pattaya has been offline

Its been offline for quite some time...the one in Tesco/Lotus works

There's also one at the entrance to "Home Works" bldg. supply store, similar to "Home Pro" next door to Carrefour.

The Home Works is located right next door to Big "C", south, at Sukumvhit Rd. & South Pattaya Road, The ATM is just to the right of the front entrance of Home Works. You can park in Big C's parking lot, and walk up the short steps to the ATM.

There is NO free ATM at Big C, south store. They all charge.

There is a GSB ATM upstairs in Carrefour, right there with the rest of 'em. But on week-ends it usually runs out of money because the AEON downstaris isn't working. There's also a GSB bank branch, as mentioned before, on North Pattaya road, across the street and up from Tesco, and you can park in the pharmacy's parking lot next door, If you're coming from 2nd road, (traffic circle), you'll have to go by it, make a U-turn and come back, but not too big a deal.

The AEON at Tesco south is just as you get off he escalator to the food court upstairs. The only problem with thqt one is it will only give you a max. of 7,000 baht at a crack, but since my daily limit is only 10,000 at my home bank, I just re-insert my card and get another 3000.

There is also a free ATM just inside "TUK-COM" front entrance, but I'm not sure which one. I've used it. I think it's GSB, but not sure.

There's another one just inside the front, (parking lot) entrance to TOP's Supermarket, on the corner of 2nd road and Central road, (Pattaya Klang)

Paranoid?

The UOB ATM in Paragon yesterday: cannot send card details, contact yr bank (Nationwide UK)

The GSB ATM near Aree 1 day before: same same.

This has happened to me b4 with high card use--you have to call yr bank to unblock card.

So I went to the green ATM (kasikorn) and took 16,000b. No connection problem at all!!Paid the 150.

?

Eddy

Just a quick note to jfchandler:- Thanks for all your work on this topic, I think your post #1301 could be pinned (may have to review occasionally).

2. You could use your cards as follows, to avoid the fee altogether:

--Visa and MC at any UOB ATM

--Visa and MC at any AEON ATM

--Visa only at Government Savings Bank

Here's the link to finding AEON locations.

Here's the link to finding UOB locations.

UOB to start charging 100 baht from 11th August ( thanks to Syd Barrett for the heads up )

post-2109-1244706325_thumb.jpg

or maybe not as the date is 11th August 2008 ??

I think this notice seems like it relates to UOB customers in Thailand using their Thai ATM cards outside Thailand. Not overseas-issued cards being used here.

CMMCB

Ayuthaya didnt charg 3 weeks ago but now does every time??

Any update??

eddy

As I posted earlier, even 2/3 weeks ago I saw the 150 baht warning at the top of the screen across their header, while in the centre it said Fee 0.00. Maybe some of the machines are different - have a look at the top.

I think they've been charging for a while.

With Nationwide Visa's 1% and 150 baht, it's the periodic international t/f into Kasikorn at £25 a time for me. £5 or so every time I hit the 10,000 baht button doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking along similar lines but Halifax at £9.50 a time (plus I think 0.25% at the Thai end) seems better. After this long thread that seems about the best available for UK people in rural areas and not near an AEON or GSB ATM.

Perhaps we're digressing but..........

Halifax sounds good but I presume I'd have to be in UK to open an a/c.

I haven't seen a Thai end charge - yet!

I should have said the £25 charge was First Direct/HSBC. I don't know how much NationWide charge for a SWIFT t/f but they say they need a form filled in and posting. In other threads people have spoken of being able to do a SWIFT t/f inside the bank by swiping the card?

Now here's a (daft?) question. A year or so ago, my dear old Mum sent a cheque for £100 to me here in Thailand. Now what can I do with that I said. Pay it into your Thai bank of course said the GF (how did she know that?). It cost me 200 baht and took a week to clear, but I got a good rate. I have my UK cheque book with me and I'm wondering if that might be a way to go for those who have Thai a/cs ?

With exchange rates and everything else that's going wrong in the world I'm just thankful there's still something in there to draw out.

Edited by mickba

I opened an Halifax account online and was given an account number in about a minute. Later, however, you do need to provide proof of identity, which could be done by post via a friend in the UK. You also need a UK address, I think. Money can be paid in online.

The only good thing about the Halifax account is the online transfer price. The ATM card is very expensive to use abroad. Unfortunately NW's rate for a Swift is expensive (I think £20), so it looks like no one account comes out top on all counts.

Now here's a (daft?) question. A year or so ago, my dear old Mum sent a cheque for £100 to me here in Thailand. Now what can I do with that I said. Pay it into your Thai bank of course said the GF (how did she know that?). It cost me 200 baht and took a week to clear, but I got a good rate. I have my UK cheque book with me and I'm wondering if that might be a way to go for those who have Thai a/cs ?

I'm told it is 1%, i.e. same as Nationwide are now charging and then nothing to pay for using my Thai card of course. I guess I'll have to try it and see.

I've inquired before about depositing "foreign" checks (foreign, as in, from my home country USA) into my Siam Commercial bank account. SCB wanted some ridiculous per check fee plus told me it would take them 4-6 weeks to clear the check. I said.. no thanks...

That was only SCB, but I can't imagine it would be much different with other Thai banks...

All the prior comment I've read on TV pretty much echoes that... trying to deposit out of country checks with Thai banks is a pain in the A....

I opened an Halifax account online and was given an account number in about a minute. Later, however, you do need to provide proof of identity, which could be done by post via a friend in the UK. You also need a UK address, I think. Money can be paid in online.

I have just done my first "test" SWIFT payment through Halifax. On Saturday I transferred online from my main HSBC account to Halifax Reward account (they are giving me £5 every month :D ).

I went online with Halifax to prepare the SWIFT instruction and was amazed to see that the £1,000 was already in my account as cleared funds - I knew HSBC (and others?) were accelerating some BACS payments but on a Saturday ? :)

I completed the SWIFT instruction which was accepted with confirmation of the £9.50 charge. Today (Sunday) my account is showing the SWIFT payment going out.

I will see what happens at the Thai as I imagine that routing will be BBK/KASIKORN.

If it's any help.

I have just withdrawn 10000Baht using Nationwide FLEX Debit Card from an Ayudhya ATM, I didn't see any advice on the fee as I used the quick 10000Baht option. It cost me £179.46 giving a total exchange rate of 55.72. At that time the Bank of Ayudhya web site was showing TT rate of 56.01 and Bangkok Bank TT rate showing 55.79. In the past I have always found the exchange rate to be close to that quoted by BB.

I also talked to Moneycorp as to the rate, they charge £15 to send money, their site said 56.19 which I though was good, however he offered me 55.05. He tried to explain the difference and said it was only about one baht, to which I replied thats about 2% and on top of that is another £15.

If you use internet banking and go to full statement it will show you how much Nationwide is paying you when you use the ATM, as mentioned before by a poster its Nationwide that determines how much baht to the pound

Got 55.42 with the Nationwide Visa Debit card last night at Ayudhya Atm (The Avenue Pattaya).No charges on Screen but didn't get receipt/slip(Don't know why??) but i checked online and worked the rate out from my opening balance minus the withdrawal,i assume the recently implemented 0.84% Nationwide card is already skimmed off this too in the UK.

I tried the UOB ATM (next to Far East ago go on Soi Post Office) and had the message refer/contact your bank.

Edited by barhopper

I have just done my first "test" SWIFT payment through Halifax. On Saturday I transferred online from my main HSBC account to Halifax Reward account (they are giving me £5 every month :D ).

I went online with Halifax to prepare the SWIFT instruction and was amazed to see that the £1,000 was already in my account as cleared funds - I knew HSBC (and others?) were accelerating some BACS payments but on a Saturday ? :)

I completed the SWIFT instruction which was accepted with confirmation of the £9.50 charge. Today (Sunday) my account is showing the SWIFT payment going out.

I will see what happens at the Thai as I imagine that routing will be BBK/KASIKORN.

Checked Kasikorn Internet Banking this morning (UK 08.00 16th) and the account is already showing a deposit of 54,985 Baht. Remarkably quick and reasonable costs - I will now use this for larger amounts as and when required.

Bank transfer delays have been a UK bank scam for years. There is now no technical reason why any transfer cannot take place inside a few milliseconds, 24 hours/day and 7 days/week/. All the delays are built in so that the banks cream off a bit more from us. It could be changed by altering a single parameter

transfer delay = 0 instead of transfer delay = 3 days.

No joke, it is a big con at our expense.

In Thailand I can transfer via ATM from my account to another account with another bank instantly, anytime for a few Baht.

UK banking service = screw the customer everytime.

Bank transfer delays have been a UK bank scam for years. There is now no technical reason why any transfer cannot take place inside a few milliseconds, 24 hours/day and 7 days/week/. All the delays are built in so that the banks cream off a bit more from us. It could be changed by altering a single parameter

transfer delay = 0 instead of transfer delay = 3 days.

No joke, it is a big con at our expense.

In Thailand I can transfer via ATM from my account to another account with another bank instantly, anytime for a few Baht.

UK banking service = screw the customer everytime.

Halifax might be able to do a Swift transfer quickly BUT if you transfer from Halifax Reward to Their Halifax cardcash account it still takes 3 days :D

BT

PS re Nationwide NON debit Visa card - finally after more e'mails and wrong infi from their HO advise to open anpther Flexi Visa on line - then take it in to branch with a letter requesting it be down graded. :D

Will keep you posted.

BT

Halifax might be able to do a Swift transfer quickly BUT if you transfer from Halifax Reward to Their Halifax cardcash account it still takes 3 days :D

BT

PS re Nationwide NON debit Visa card - finally after more e'mails and wrong infi from their HO advise to open anpther Flexi Visa on line - then take it in to branch with a letter requesting it be down graded. :)

Will keep you posted.

BT

Strange about Halifax. Nationwide online is real-time between accounts, as is HSBC.

Nationwide cash card - persevere. The local branch downgraded one of mine for me. You just need to get to the right person because the UK is becoming like Thailand - the staff will give the answer to the "best of their knowledge", you need a mature (or willing) head that has probably done this conversion before. My new card was received within 4 days. CARE - I did not get a new PIN advice and used the old PIN until the card got retained, I had to ask for the PIN to be re-advised. You may want to check this with the branch.

If it's any help.

If you use internet banking and go to full statement it will show you how much Nationwide is paying you when you use the ATM, as mentioned before by a poster its Nationwide that determines how much baht to the pound

Yes, but they don't put it on the transaction page until the next day...I got the £179.46 from the 'money they put aside' for the deal. Actually they revised it to £180.18 giving a rate of 55.5.

I actually copy the full statement into an excel file...it's frightning to see how much we....well I think it's her....spend each month. Actually if you are so inclined you could plot graphs of BB TT rate against NW rate over the last few months and see if relationship changed recently. If you do could you post it please...just out of interest....thanks

I am still paranoid!

I have a UK Nationwide Visa card (debit). AGAIN the GSB and AEON atms today---cannot connect.

I also have a UK Natwest debit c. GSB said cannot connect.

The above 5 times now--but my nationwide card worked fine with kasikorn (150b fee).

I really think that somethg is fishy.

PEd

I am still paranoid!

I have a UK Nationwide Visa card (debit). AGAIN the GSB and AEON atms today---cannot connect.

The above 5 times now--but my nationwide card worked fine with kasikorn (150b fee).

PEd

My US based Visa debit continues to work fine at GSB in Chiang Mai.

What location(s) [city and ATM location] are giving you problems with your cards???

I am still paranoid!

PEd

Actually they revised it to £180.18 giving a rate of 55.5.

The X-Rate.com site, which I've found to be nearly right-on with the Interbank Exchange Rates (IER), gave 55.9476 as the June 12th rate. Since Nationwide's Visa Debit card is now charging .84% (up to 1% come July 1st), the 55.5 rate you got was well within the ballpark when compared to the IER.

When I attempted to use a Capital One MM Visa ATM at said bank at Don Muang airport a week ago (as a test) the 150 bt fee notification came up. I canceled same.

Bank of Auyudhya. Do they, or don't they charge the 150B fee?

Ye... we never did get a definitive answer on that ..for me Auyudhya are still not charging when I use Nationwide Visa debit in Pattaya.