Thai Drivers Licence For Motorbike - On A Tourist Visa

Yimmy

Hi, I've been in Thailand a few years, and have been on tourist visas for the last year and will be for the foreseeable future. I don't have a drivers licence from home (expired 5 years ago, and haven't been back there since). I had a bike out in Isaan for while and never had any problems, just showed them expired one, paid the 200baht fine for whatever infringement they dreamed up and went away.

Am now living in BKK and am considering going for a bigger bike - around 600cc. It would have the green book, tax and insurance but am weary of driving around BKK, and taking trips out along the highway (with all the stops and roadblock they have).

So... Is there any hope of getting a Thai drivers licence, for a motorbike, while on a Tourist Visa without a valid driver's licence from home?

Thanks.

I got both a drivers licence for car and motorbike in Pattaya this winter staying at a tourist visa.

I had an international drivers licence for car, but not motorbike.

Had to do all the tests for the motorbike, but the car I got at once, without tests.

Supposedly I will not get 5 years validity when I renew it next winter. With a tourist visa I will only get another 1 year licence.

(getting my residency permit (needed for driving licence) at the immigration in Jomtien they was not keen on the adress shown in my friends "blue book" from her house in Surin. They asked me if I did not stay at a hotel in Pattaya. They preferred to get a receipt showing that I had paid for 1 month at a hotel. With this receipt I got my residency permit without problem )

J!!!

Okay, that's certainly good news thanks.

If you happen to remember, are you able to show up one day and do everything there and then and have your licence by the end of the day, or do you have to book in advance?

As my address will be Bangkok, is it still fine to go through the Pattaya branch?

And do you happen to remember around how much it cost for the 1 year licence?

Thanks again mate.

As my address will be Bangkok, is it still fine to go through the Pattaya branch?

Going to have to do it in BKK then not Pattaya

Not true anymore as they have linked all the DLT offices electronically nowdays. You can get and renew your licence any office you want providing the office is "on-line". Mate just renew his licence in Loei with Bangkok address.

If you happen to remember, are you able to show up one day and do everything there and then and have your licence by the end of the day, or do you have to book in advance?

And do you happen to remember around how much it cost for the 1 year licence?

Thanks again mate.

Hi

Can't really answer this 100%.

I guess they would have accepted my friends blue book, but they were happier with a receipt from a Pattaya hotel as a "recidency adress". But if you stay in Bangkok I would get the recidency permit from the immigration office in Bangkok, and not in Jomtien.

You need a recidency permit, not a recidency permit issued in Banglamung/Pattaya/Jomtien. (I would guess).

My friend took her drivers licence in Pattaya, using her Surin "blue book" as her adress, but then again she is thai.

If I remember correctly the price for the license was something like 155 Baht, but I'm not positive about this. Anyhow, it was just what I thought of as small change. PS! you dont have to bring photos anymore. They have a new issuing prosess where they take the photos as a part of the service.

What I know is no booking. Show up early, if you don't get it done before lunsj (12:00), you won't get your licence at "delivery time" which is after lunch from 13:00. I got my car licence the same day, but I "flunked" the test for the motorbike, and had to take it a second time (the same day), but before I took the test they told me that if I didn't get the test in my first try, I would have to come back the next day for the driving part of the test. (I don't know if this just was because it was getting late, or if this applies for everyone). My recomendation is to be there when it open.

J!!!

Not sure about the Thailand end. But I obtained a replacement DL and an international DL which can be exchanged for a Thai DL, I heard. Try that. It might even work without you returning home. The embassy might certify your photo etc.

There should be a way...

Good luck!

Chris

Okay thanks. Am slightly worried about it as me buying a nice big bike depends on it.

what's this residency permit people are mentioning?

I've just got a copy of my rental contract showing I've lived in my apartment for over one year.

With this, and my passport with Tourist Visa, (and 2 photos). And a Doctor's Cert. should I be able to get the DL in Pattaya, or is their more I should need?

Is there anything more I need to add? thanks.

Rental Contract.

Passport with Tourist Visa.

Medical Cert. from a hospital.

2 photos.

Edited by Yimmy

It's not residence permit. You need a proof of address and since you do not have your own condo or work permit you need letter from your embassy stating your address or in Pattaya you can get letter from immigration police stating your address. The immigration letter is cheaper and you do not need to travel to Bangkok for your embassy if you go that way.

Photos are not needed.

So you need:

- medical cert

- address letter

- passport

Copies of all above, note passport copy you propably need to copy also pages with last stamp, visa and the departure card. If you plan to get both bike and car licence then take 2 set of copies.

As others said, be there early (before it opens) and take it from there. Should be ok in one day providing you pass. Also be prepared to the fact that they might deny you because you are not holding non-immigrant visa. That is the law and while some get lucky with tourist visa it does not mean everyone will get it. Be well dressed, smile and be polite, that get's you long way.

• 1 month later...
It's not residence permit. You need a proof of address and since you do not have your own condo or work permit you need letter from your embassy stating your address or in Pattaya you can get letter from immigration police stating your address. The immigration letter is cheaper and you do not need to travel to Bangkok for your embassy if you go that way.

Photos are not needed.

So you need:

- medical cert

- address letter

- passport

Copies of all above, note passport copy you propably need to copy also pages with last stamp, visa and the departure card. If you plan to get both bike and car licence then take 2 set of copies.

As others said, be there early (before it opens) and take it from there. Should be ok in one day providing you pass. Also be prepared to the fact that they might deny you because you are not holding non-immigrant visa. That is the law and while some get lucky with tourist visa it does not mean everyone will get it. Be well dressed, smile and be polite, that get's you long way.

My case is very similar to the above but I live in Chiang Mai. Does anyone have experience of getting a letter of proof of address from the CM Immigration Office?

Photos are not needed.

So you need:

- medical cert

- address letter

- passport

My case is very similar to the above but I live in Chiang Mai. Does anyone have experience of getting a letter of proof of address from the CM Immigration Office?

Heard CM is very hard on doing this.. Many CM expats use thier embassy..

Have a word with pikey / jeff from the rentals in town.. He will give you a straight answer.

Photos are not needed.

So you need:

- medical cert

- address letter

- passport

Heard CM is very hard on doing this.. Many CM expats use thier embassy..

Have a word with pikey / jeff from the rentals in town.. He will give you a straight answer.

Thanks for your reply but I'm not quite with you - 'the rentals'? Another thing that occurred to me is that even if I had a licence, I still couldn't legally own and register a motorcycle on a tourist visa, right?

I normally renew my licenses for 5 years, however gf says you can get a max of 15 years; you just to pay for all the years. If you think its going to be a hassel getting a license, then get one for as long as you think you need. Then you just need to take of it; I find the laminating fails after a while, so just relaminating it from time to time should keep it in good condition.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your reply but I'm not quite with you - 'the rentals'? Another thing that occurred to me is that even if I had a licence, I still couldn't legally own and register a motorcycle on a tourist visa, right?

You can own a motorbike with tourist visa, with driving license, proof of risidence. That easy, I think it goes with car. I bought mine with my country's original license, not even on international driving license.

You can own a motorbike with tourist visa, with driving license, proof of risidence. That easy, I think it goes with car. I bought mine with my country's original license, not even on international driving license.

Sorry 'the rentals' meaning Tonys big bikes.. Jeffs a good guy to know.

Also technically you cant register a bike on a tourist visa.. The law says you need a non imm.. But this law like many is ignored in most provinces.

What is the medical cert that is required? I am thinking of getting my thai license as the international permist only lasts a year.

I have always read that an IDP is only good for 6 months even if the actual IDP is valid for longer.

The medical cert is simply the doctors medical checkup.

Get the Thai one before the IDP expires of course.

What is the medical cert that is required? I am thinking of getting my thai license as the international permist only lasts a year.

I have always read that an IDP is only good for 6 months even if the actual IDP is valid for longer.

The medical cert is simply the doctors medical checkup.

Get the Thai one before the IDP expires of course.

I've also heard that, but I used a 12 month IDP that was only valid for one more week to get a full Thai car and bike licence, even though the IDP was for cars only.

I just had to take an eyesight and reaction test, didn't have to step foot into/onto a car or a bike. That was in Phuket.

I live out Sukhumvit BKK, where is my best place to go for Thai license?

I have a new IDP, so that will be no prob and I can sort a medical easy enough (could I use my offshore medical? It is valid for 2 years and I have a pan european one).