Medicare Providers Outside Of The U.s. ?

rexall

Sun 20 Sep 09, 8:48 am

Good Morning,

An American friend has no private health insurance, and no money. He is covered by Medicare, but only in the U.S., of course. If he ever needs medical treatment, but is too ill to travel to the U.S., I wonder if there is any place closer to Thailand that would accept Medicare (for a civilian, non-veteran). I am thinking possibly of military bases in The Philippines or Korea or Japan, or something like that. About Guam? Where the hel_l is Guam in relation to Thailand, anyway, and would it be easier to get there from Thailand rather than going to California?

Any ideas?

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

I doubt that military facilities would accept a non-DOD/US government sponsered patient for treatment of an illness. They might accept one in a local (to the facility) emergency trauma case but it would still cost a lot. Even US military retirees sometimes have difficulty using US military medical facitlities being lower priority to Active duty service members. their dependents and DOD sponsored civilians.

To find Guam, draw a line from Bangkok to Hawaii on a globe, and it is about halfway between the two. Or use Google Earth and type in Guam, which is small, but a nice (though boring) place to visit. It is a long way from everywhere.

Edited by mmcsusnret

Good Morning,

An American friend has no private health insurance, and no money. He is covered by Medicare, but only in the U.S., of course. If he ever needs medical treatment, but is too ill to travel to the U.S., I wonder if there is any place closer to Thailand that would accept Medicare (for a civilian, non-veteran). I am thinking possibly of military bases in The Philippines or Korea or Japan, or something like that. About Guam? Where the hel_l is Guam in relation to Thailand, anyway, and would it be easier to get there from Thailand rather than going to California?

Any ideas?

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

Medicare overseas? Zero to zip. If he has no $$$, might just be better for him to return to California, if that's where he's from, and go on welfare. He's probably not paying for Medicare Part B either, I'd bet. I'm not since I'm in Thailand, don't plan to access Medicare in the U.S.

Mac

Good Morning,

Any ideas?

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

Medicare overseas? Zero to zip. If he has no $$, might just be better for him to return to California, if that's where he's from, and go on welfare. He's probably not paying for Medicare Part B either, I'd bet. I'm not since I'm in Thailand, don't plan to access Medicare in the U.S.

Mac

Agreed - if he cannot support himself why is he here - better of back in the States.

Even retired military pay up front and then get their money back via tricare so it is probably best for him to think about re-location back to the US before he is too ill or injured to travel. Not always the best answer or the one we want to hear BUT the only one that makes sense..

Agreed - if he cannot support himself why is he here - better of back in the States.

This sentiment, which comes up far too often on TV as far as I am concerned--is not only mean-spirited, but irrational as well. It is pretty obvious that it is easier to be poor in Thailand than in many developed countries. The gentleman in question is legally blind which may explain why he cannot support himself, and his SSI (disability) income affords a significantly better lifestyle in Thailand than in the States. Especially in his case, he is able employ helpers, such as motorcycle taxi guys to get him around town, and people to help with cleaning and shopping. Such services would be prohibitively expensive in the States, unfortunately. Also, unlike the States, he has access to sexual partners, which poor, blind people need as much as do the well-off.

I doubt that he would consider going back to the U.S. and living in abject poverty, but it certainly is true that he would be better off there in the event of a medical emergency. For a medical necessity that was a non-emergency, if he were capable of traveling back to California for treatment, it would be a non-issue, and was not the topic of this post.

Although I pretty much already knew the answer, I thought I would raise the question of places outside of the U.S. where medicare would apply. That still leaves the possibility of Guam, which is not exactly easy to get to, but possibly easier than California or even Hawaii if it ever comes to that.

Aloha,

Rex

I have these questions:

1. What is your friend's age and where is his location in Thailand?

2. What is his current medical status other than visual impairment -- Does he have any chronic conditions or recent surgeries? Does he see a doctor regularly for any (other) condition or take any prescription medications?

There may be some better alternatives than relocation to the USA.

others have mentioned it..so it may be possible. He could voluntarily sign up for social security here for 432 baht per month or somethng like that. Will at least get him an allocated hospital which he can go to to be treated for free.

Not sure if it is possible if already retired, but other TV members do payinto SS here voluntarily to keep the Thai safety net option.

This sentiment, which comes up far too often on TV as far as I am concerned--is not only mean-spirited, but irrational as well. It is pretty obvious that it is easier to be poor in Thailand than in many developed countries. The gentleman in question is legally blind which may explain why he cannot support himself, and his SSI (disability) income affords a significantly better lifestyle in Thailand than in the States. Especially in his case, he is able employ helpers, such as motorcycle taxi guys to get him around town, and people to help with cleaning and shopping. Such services would be prohibitively expensive in the States, unfortunately. Also, unlike the States, he has access to sexual partners, which poor, blind people need as much as do the well-off.

I doubt that he would consider going back to the U.S. and living in abject poverty, but it certainly is true that he would be better off there in the event of a medical emergency. For a medical necessity that was a non-emergency, if he were capable of traveling back to California for treatment, it would be a non-issue, and was not the topic of this post.

Although I pretty much already knew the answer, I thought I would raise the question of places outside of the U.S. where medicare would apply. That still leaves the possibility of Guam, which is not exactly easy to get to, but possibly easier than California or even Hawaii if it ever comes to that.

Aloha,

Rex

Why are we the bad guys because we state the truth? I don't think anyone here was being mean-spirited just because we stated the obvious, if you want US based medical programs then you have to be in the US. I don't think we are going to get a lot of Brits complaining because they have to go back to England to use the NHS, or any European having to go back to their country to use their socialized medical system.

If you decide that you want to be an expat, then you must accept the restrictions on benefits overseas and this should be part of your planning. The Thai Immigration rules are designed specifically so that foreign residents will not be a burden on Thai society by requiring a minimum cash in the bank or a minimum annuity for a non immigrant visa or extension of stay

Forget about the Guam option since it is difficult to get there via Thailand. The last I went there from Thailand I had to go via Manila on Continental Micronesia which required an overnight in Manila

Edited by Langsuan Man

He might consider signing up for Medicare Part B anyway during the next open enrollment period next spring. The cost is about $96.40 last I checked and the coverage is extensive. Even though I also am retired and on SSDI in Thailand, I plan to sign up next year. Money is very much a concern to me because I have only my SSDI, but I figure if something really nasty comes along which requires a lot of non-inpatient treatment and expense, at least I could get back to the States to be treated. It is either that or hope to have enough saving to cover the treatment here. I know the time will come when I need to decide whether to trip it back to the States or to take my chances here. But with Part B, at lease coverage includes outpatient care (and a lot more) and not only inpatient as Part A does. If he can swing the $96.40, I think that could be money well spent. Quite honestly, a lot also depends on to what degree we want to extend our lives. My mom (rest her wonderful soul) lived 10 years in a nursing home, finally passing at 94. Not me. No thanks. We all have to go sometime.

Tue 22 Sep 09, 10:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone (or, er, almost everyone).

Just to be clear, I never said that anyone was a "bad guy." I said the sentiment was mean-spirited. "Mean-spirited" was not directed at the suggestion that he might be better of in the States if he needs medical treatment. That is sensible-if-somewhat-obvious.

What I said was mean-spirited was

if he cannot support himself why is he here -
Typical gratuitous contempt for poor people. It is perfectly obvious that in most cases, people at every economic level can enjoy a more comfortable lifestyle in Thailand than in their home country, in many cases.

Anyway, it's not my problem, I was just making some inquiries. "There but for the grace of God go I (and you!)"

Aloha,

Rex

Edited by rexall

FYI -- An American citizen who is legally blind can be receiving both Social Security (Disability) Benefits and be Medicare eligible well before the ages of 62 and 65 respectively... if he is young enough and otherwise in good health there may be private insurance options that could fit within his budget based on his residence in Thailand.

FYI -- An American citizen who is legally blind can be receiving both Social Security (Disability) Benefits and be Medicare eligible well before the ages of 62 and 65 respectively... if he is young enough and otherwise in good health there may be private insurance options that could fit within his budget based on his residence in Thailand.

Your friend should already have Medicare as a Disabled Social Security recipient.

He also should have BOTH Part A and Part B ID cards FREE from Social Security.

As a Medicare eligible person, check his home state for a Medicare Advantage

health policy. He might be eligible..read the eligibility requirements. Open enrollments annually from November 1 - December 31st.

By the way, may I ask...what is your friends HOME STATE?

A disabled friend of mine who is 61, has Medicare A & B ...and has

a Medicare Advantage insurance policy from a major insurance carrier in his home city/state area. He lives in Oklahoma but travels to Thailand for 3 - 4 months each year.

His Medicare advantage policy covers him for emergency care

for up to 6 monhs outside the USA.

The worldwide coverage language may vary from state to state and insurer...

read the policy for coverages...do a Google search for Medicare Advantage plans...the government website will direct you to all available plans in an area by zip code.

Hope this helps,

tj

Edited by travelerjim

Sun 27 Sep 09, 8:02 am

TJ,

Thanks very much for this. It is quite encouraging. He gave up his plan "B" to save a few $$, but I guess he can re-enroll (?) . We will investigate Medicare Advantage. I am sure there are many in Thailand in similar circumstances who need to know about this.

Aloha,

Rex

Sun 27 Sep 09, 8:02 am

TJ,

Thanks very much for this. It is quite encouraging. He gave up his plan "B" to save a few $$, but I guess he can re-enroll (?) . We will investigate Medicare Advantage. I am sure there are many in Thailand in similar circumstances who need to know about this.

Aloha,

Rex

Hi Rex,

Medicare Part B can be applied for once again during the period of

January 1st to March 31st of each year.

It will become effective July 1st of that year.

For each year he has "opted out" of Part B he will be penalized 10%

more for each year out of Part B... that means it will cost him more to opt back in.

What is his home state?

What is his age?

So many things to consider..it is not easy!

PM me if you would like to chat more...

about your friends situation...

I am retired - 18 years specializing in health and life insurance - from USA

now living in Thailand...for past 3 years.

Happy to help..if I can.

I don't have all the answers..

but will research more to find what his options may be...

I understand his predicament...

Indeed, he can live a better quality of life in Thailand...

while on Social Security Disability...

than is USA...for sure!

But access to affordable medical care is a challenge for many...

as it is your friend.

Thanks,

tj

Aloha,

Rex

I have to agree with Rex, sometimes some of these posts are mean- spirited and ugly. would be nice if more post were more on a positive side.

Sun 27 Sep 09, 12:54 pm

Thanks, guys, for the helpful replies.

His home state is California, BTW.

I would be curious to know (he would too) if Thai social security is an option for someone unemployed (retirement extension visa), and 58 years old, living here permanently since about 1993.

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

"...others have mentioned it..so it may be possible. He could voluntarily sign up for social security here for 432 baht per month or somethng like that."

I believe you have to originally be eligible for soc sec through employment.

The normal fee is 432 baht a month. Because of a government stimulus program it's only 260 baht a month for the rest of the year.

--------------

"Not an option really if he is 60 years old or older."

Yes and no. There are scenarios where you could sign up after 60 years of age. I think they still require you to have been eligible because of current or recent work.

-----------------

Rex

The soc sec office in KKC is good about helping you. Drop in and ask them. Take someone with you who speaks Thai.

Contact me if you want the location or want 'the lady' to help with translations.