Scooter: Rent Or Buy?

SadieMBeagle

Hi all,

I've just moved to Chiang Mai from the US and will be here at least six months. Longer, if I get a job teaching English after I get my CELTA cert. I would like your thoughts on if I should rent a scooter for the entire time or just up and buy one? Seems to make more sense to rent if I'm only going to be here six months. I don't think I'd want to deal with selling a scooter while preparing to go home. (Do they take long to sell?)

Obviously, if I'm going to be staying here longer than six months, buying makes more sense. But that's six months from now... who knows what I'll be up to by then?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hmm good question, but if we say that you pay app. 3000 in rent pr month for a good auto you will end up having paid 18k after 6 month. That is almost 1/2 price of one of the cheap Thai bikes on the market!

If you don't mind riding a bike like a Honda Wave (work horse of TL), you could buy a fair Wave for around 15-20k and sell it after 6 month with max 5k loss. The Wave is a VERY solid little bike, I previously owned 3 of them but have a Yamaha Fino now. I will not recommend you to buy an "old" full auto bike as they are more vulnerable to misuse as the Waves are.

If I was you I would spend 3-5 days to go around town and check out the places where they sell used bikes and compare prices and maybe do a test ride too. If you have checked say 5 shops you will have an idea how much they cost. Never buy from the first shop you go to as them might have added 2-3k on the price because you don't know the prices and are a farang, he-he.

Don't worry too much about selling, put it on the market after 5 month so you have 1 month to sell it.

Good hunting and enjoy the beautiful CM. :)

Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up renting, at least for now, an auto Yamaha Mio for 2000 baht/month. Maybe I'll look around for something for sale at a decent price. I'm fine with a workhorse bike; yes, those Finos sure are adorable, but I suppose not as practical as the less cute scooters.

And ooh yes I want to ride a big bike someday!!! But alas I don't know how :) Maybe after my CELTA course I'll have the time to pick up a few new skillz :D