Can't Quote Or Reply To The Op

JetsetBkk

I want to quote the first post in a thread and can't - the buttons have gone.

I know someone - no names - seems to get annoyed when the second post is a complete quote of the original post, with a one line comment. But, now, I can't even refer to the OP after several posts have been added.

What's going on?

I know someone - no names - seems to get annoyed when the second post is a complete quote of the original post, with a one line comment. But, now, I can't even refer to the OP after several posts have been added.

What's going on?

I have gotta admit, it is the most annoying aspect of quoting, particularly from people who are not new to the forum :)

The big bosses did not like the constant abuse. Webfact and I just followed orders. They rigged the software.

I understand, but the opening post is the one that needs to be quoted most, especially if there is an initial load of cr@p that has taken the thread off-topic, so to be able to quote the first post and get back on-topic is important.

Penalising the long time posters who know what they are doing and who follow the rules is not the right way to stop the idiots who hit the "Reply" button when all they add is a one liner. You've taken a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

I also don't like to scroll down a long quoted post only to find a one liner, but it's only bits and bytes for chrissakes. It's only a few more tickles of the mouse wheel and it's gone.

You are still able to quote from the opening post, but by doing so, it take a little more time and effort, so you may as well put the effort into, either quoting only the text you need, or just hitting add reply, and respond to the subject matter in question.

You have got to admit a long quote and single sentence reply is bone-achingly boring and some can't be arsed to change.

I agree with George and Mossfinn.

Here is an idea for a compromise but I'm not sure if this is possible: Have a REPLY button under the first post but with a different function which instead of inserting the entire text will only insert the link to the OP?

Something like:

opalhort

OP

Two letters tell everyone you are talking about the Original Post and nobody has to scroll down three pages. Seems easy. ((once it dawned on me))

If you still need to quote a portion you can always copy/paste and put in quote.

the buttons have gone

Yesterday, 2009-11-10 22:19:34 Post #1

The JesterBkk who is a

Group: Advanced Members

Member No.: 35,489

posted this as the OP

What's going on?

:)

Yes you Kan The JesterBkk like this :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

What's going on?

You must know how to beat the system :)

What's going on?

You must know how to beat the system :D

Smooth as Silk 'PoorSucker' :) Nice one.

Yours truly still Kan-not work it out :D

Kan Win :D

Click on the "ADD REPLY" button!~

Voila!~

Actually, george, what is needed is the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of every post where the "Quote" button is, and not just at the top and bottom of the page - it is simply too far away and few people bother scrolling up or down to find it, whereas the "Reply" button is just sitting there at the bottom of each post waiting to be clicked!

Also, I see not much use for the "Quote" button, so that could be removed.

OR

Change the "Reply" button at the bottom of each post to do what the "Add Reply" button does now - i.e. no quoted text. And add another button - "Add Reply with Text" that does include the whole post.

You are still able to quote from the opening post, but by doing so, it take a little more time and effort, <snip>

I did just that, here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Stupid-Quest...t&p=3131775

You have got to admit a long quote and single sentence reply is bone-achingly boring and some can't be arsed to change.

Agreed, so change what the buttons do, as suggested in my previous post, so the people don't have to change - the post's text just isn't included.

Edited by JetsetBkk

What's going on?

You must know how to beat the system :D

Takes a bit of fiddling about though, doesn't it? :D

And 'No', I didn't copy yours!

What's going on?

And you have to check you get the date and time right as well as the post number for the 'traceback' arrow to work.

Maybe I can automate the process.... :)

Yeah, just noticed, it's weird that every post except the OP has the Quote and Reply buttons directly after them. Can see how this could be annoying - why have they been removed from the OPs?

People unnecessarily quoting the entire OP to reply with one sentence.

You can still use those Reply buttons to only include part of the post you're quoting though, you don't have to include the entire post each time.

Some weeks ago, I received a warning for doing that.

OP

Two letters tell everyone you are talking about the Original Post and nobody has to scroll down three pages. Seems easy. ((once it dawned on me))

If you still need to quote a portion you can always copy/paste and put in quote.

the buttons have gone

So why has the quote and reply buttons been removed from the original post?

Is there any good reason?

You can still use those Reply buttons to only include part of the post you're quoting though, you don't have to include the entire post each time.

You don't have to but some people did. It was wasting space. Mods got bored with deleting them.

But they're there in every other post, what's so special about the OP that means they're removed from there?

People seemed inclined to read the OP and rather than click on "quick reply", click on "reply" at the bottom of the OP and quote the entire post for us to read all over again - served no purpose.

Edited by rixalex

Richly deserved I might add. I was getting fed up with a half page post with you one liner at the bottom. Completlely unnecessary for experienced posters. Simply cut and past, and use the [....] as necessary :)

Yes. I understand why admin wants to cut down on the endless long repeated reply postings and agree with it, but it should also go for posts other than just the OP.

Members who know how to extract part of a post and quote it won't have a problem but newer members like to just hit the REPLY button for the entire post.

So why not set the function of the REPLY button to just post a link to the post rather than repeat the entire text?

This could for example reduce a 10 page topic as it is now to probably only 3 or 4 pages.

This could also somewhat prevent people from modifying the original quoted post.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

It happens often in the News Clippings. A news article may take half a page then someone quotes the whole thing with a one line comment a full page is now taken up and personally I find it a nuisance having to wade through the page. 2nd, it precludes or at least reduces someone modifying the OP's post such as changing fonts or modifying the OP in the quotation, which is against forum rules by the way but members are still doing it.

For doing what Sass, quoting the entire OP, or including only part of the post? The former is annoying when it is a long post and usually unnecessary and the latter is quite OK, as long as you are not changing the context, or altering any part of the actual text.

So why has the quote and reply buttons been removed from the original post?

Is there any good reason?

The answers are in the responses.