My 1st Retirement Visa Application

Me:

Sex: Male

Embassy:

Royal Thai Embassy, Wellington, New Zealand

Steps

1) Check website of local embassy, check details for retirement visa.

2) Phone embassy give outline, get confirmation email with supplementary info needed for visa applications processed in NZ.

3) Complete all items on BOTH the NZ checklist and the standard application form downloaded, double check it.

4) Keep copies (just in case).

5) Courier to Wellington, with nice cover letter giving contact details, forget to include return courier bag.

6) Less than 2 working days later get phone call to confirm visa has been issued and can I please send a return courier bag to them.

7) Send the return courier bag.

SIMPLE, FAST, EFFICIENT & GREAT.

If you follow the rules and do it right then not much can go wrong from the look of it.

Am waiting the return of the passport.

See it can be done! :)

Did not realize it was more complex than non-immigrant o-a.

That is what I asked and paid for and well we will see.

They only mention type o-a over here so that is what you get, ye of little faith.

Multiple entry I asked for, so will see on that score too when it arrives.

BTW.. what is the difference? I only thought retirement came in one form.

Did not realize it was more complex than non-immigrant o-a.

That is what I asked and paid for and well we will see.

They only mention type o-a over here so that is what you get, ye of little faith.

Multiple entry I asked for, so will see on that score too when it arrives.

BTW.. what is the difference? I only thought retirement came in one form.

When you have the visa in your hand, tell us what type it is and we will advise you further.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Lesson to others -- consult this website BEFORE you apply for a visa ...

NO need for a lesson.

This website did not tell me anything that was not given to me by the Thai Embassy anyway.

I applied for a Thai Retirement Visa.

As far as I know that is Non-Immigrant O-A.

That is what the form said.

That is what I paid for.

And that is what I am getting.

Why do people think that if you apply for type o-a you will get type o?

Are people here that stupid?

So I think that my thread title was accurate and the requests for further information are from people who have to look out the window to make sure that the sun is up in the morning. :)

I will be getting a single entry non-imm O from the consulate in Munich.

That is what I will be paying for, that is all I need.

This site has been most helpful and I thank all for saving me money and time.

Are people here that stupid?

So I think that my thread title was accurate and the requests for further information are from people who have to look out the window to make sure that the sun is up in the morning. :D

You would be surprised how many people come on here without having a clue what kind of Visa they have. Mods and members have saved them a lot of money and inconvenience. Only trying to help.

Just looked out of the window and sun is now setting. :)

NO need for a lesson.

This website did not tell me anything that was not given to me by the Thai Embassy anyway.

I applied for a Thai Retirement Visa.

As far as I know that is Non-Immigrant O-A.

That is what the form said.

That is what I paid for.

And that is what I am getting.

You still have not answered the question:

Did you supply .

Police Report.

Medical Report.

Evidence of 800,000 Baht in the bank OR 65,000 Baht monthly income.

If not , you have not been given an O-A Visa.

--------------------

I will be getting a single entry non-imm O from the consulate in Munich.

That is the alternative option, and then apply for extension of stay based on retirement in the last 30 days of your permission to stay. Less paperwork than applying for Non-OA visa (no need for police report or medical certificate).

There are many cases reported here of people applying for one kind of visa and receiving another kind. All consulates and embassies have somewhat different policies and patterns of behavior. Sometimes their policies vary radically from what are considered standard rules. Sometimes the info they post on their websites doesn't confirm with standards policies, and sometimes their actual behavior varies from the info on their websites.

We asked you if you supplied a medical form and police report. You didn't answer. That is odd. If you did, that confirms you applied for an O-A visa and you almost definitely will be getting an O-A visa. If you did not, many of us would be very surprised if you receive an O-A as that has never been reported here as ever happening to my knowledge with those parts of the application missing. In that case, you would likely get an O visa, not an O-A. To the OP, this is an open forum. Frank comments and questions are par for the course.

Edited by Jingthing

Wow you must know a lot of influential people.I had to go back to my home in NZ to apply for a ret visa. I had to get a full medical---took a week to get results of blood tests,I had to apply to the NZ court for a criminal record clearance.Never had problem with the law in my life but it still took 6 weeks!!!! Do not know how you did it mate but good luck if you get away with it so easy Dougal

You did not have to do any of those things - what you do need is to be over age 50 and have 800k in a bank account or 65k in income by Embassy letter or a combination. You visit Immigration with 21 days or more remaining on your permitted to stay stamp and change/obtain non immigrant visa stay of 90 days for 2,000 baht and then extend your stay for a year for 1,900 baht. No police check or medical required. And if you are here on a 90 day non immigrant visa stay you do not even have to perform step 1 - but money would have to be in bank account 2 months if using that method. This is fully legal and the way most people do it.

Of course, you don't need to get an O-A (obtained in your home country) to retire in Thailand. I don't know if most do it without starting with an O-A or not, but both ways are common and totally legit. The differences, advantages and disadvantages of starting with an O (obtained in or out of Thailand) or an O-A (only obtainable from your home country) have been discussed extensively on this website.

Regardless, for those who do choose to apply for an O-A visa in their home country, they will need to fill out the medical form form the Thai embassy and also supply a police report as part of the application. If going the other route, starting with an O obtained in or out of Thailand, those elements are not needed.

Another point about starting with an O vs. and O-A. I have noticed that people who started with an O tend to favor that method (as do I) and people who started with an O-A tend to favor their method. So I suppose that tells you that both paths end up being equally satisfactory in the long run ...

Edited by Jingthing

A few years ago a friend and his wife applied for a o visa in the states, he needed all of the reports, med., police and retirement funds. He submitted all to the Thai Embassy in Washington DC. and had the passports and visas back in two days. If you have your act together it can happen very fast.

I browsed on that website a little and found the following about required documents for “Non-Immigrant O-A Visa (Retired)”:

http://www.thaiembassynz.org.nz/Visa/retired_visa.htm

The listed requirements include “Criminal record” and “Medical certificate”. The OP said "Complete all items on BOTH the NZ checklist and the standard application form", which obviously means that he submitted all required documents, including the criminal record and medical certificate.

--

Maestro

I browsed on that website a little and found the following about required documents for “Non-Immigrant O-A Visa (Retired)”:

http://www.thaiembassynz.org.nz/Visa/retired_visa.htm

The listed requirements include “Criminal record” and “Medical certificate”. The OP said "Complete all items on BOTH the NZ checklist and the standard application form", which obviously means that he submitted all required documents, including the criminal record and medical certificate.

--

Maestro

Thank you Maestro.

I had no intention of repeating myself.

Why do so many posters lack the intelligence to read and UNDERSTAND the original post? :)

Par for the course on a robust website eh?

I browsed on that website a little and

I had no intention of repeating myself.

Why do so many posters lack the intelligence to read and UNDERSTAND the original post? :)

Par for the course on a robust website eh?

Maybe so- but being polite doesn't hurt and is certainly better than calling people stupid or of having no intelligence.

Wow you must know a lot of influential people.I had to go back to my home in NZ to apply for a ret visa. I had to get a full medical---took a week to get results of blood tests,I had to apply to the NZ court for a criminal record clearance.Never had problem with the law in my life but it still took 6 weeks!!!! Do not know how you did it mate but good luck if you get away with it so easy Dougal

BPB... you are right on all points.

In my case it was 3 weeks or so waiting for the nz govt to do its job.

Maybe so- but being polite doesn't hurt and is certainly better than calling people stupid or of having no intelligence.

True.

But I never did call anyone stupid.

I might have implied it by asking a question, but that's not the same.

But I never did call anyone out on having 'no intelligence' either.

I did imply that they lacked intelligence, but that's not the same.

I think your post Artsi reflects VERY similar skill levels in UNDERSTANDING what I have posted.

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT before instructing others on how to post.

If people go off half cocked and post questions that are CLEARLY already answered by the original post then I think the OP has the god given right to reply in kind or not.

:)

I find the artificial "argument" in this thread completely silly. People simply asked for CONFIRMATION that the OP did indeed include a medical and police report. Yes it was IMPLIED that he did but it was not specifically mentioned. The OP may have thought that was an incredibly ignorant question, but a simple one word answer -- YES -- would have put any doubt to bed. Readers found it odd that the OP while still posting was not answering a direct question about the application, adding to the doubt about it. Now he has. I still don't see any good reason not to answer the question before, except to create this artificial silly controversy.

Edited by Jingthing

Kiwiinasia,

So in reality it actually took "3 weeks or so", plus two days to complete the application process and be issued your retirement visa. Not quite the "less than 2 working days" you asserted.

No.

The application took less than 2 working days.

According to your logic I should also include my passport application, my birth certificate application etc as they were all needed before I COULD apply for a retirement visa.

According to that logic it took 52 years to get the visa then.