Imported Bike /green Book.

tirekicker

I’m considering buying a second hand 400cc motorcycle imported from Japan which does not have a Green Book, but has does have photocopied paperwork which is not just for this particular bike alone. This paperwork shows that six bikes were imported by a company in Bangkok and a sum of money showing that import tax has been paid but does not individualize the sum paid on each bike.

This photocopied paperwork has an official stamp and each bike is itemized with engine and frame numbers. The corresponding numbers match the bike that I would like to buy.

Armed with this paperwork is it possible to apply for a legal Green Book at the DMV here in Phuket and how much would it cost.

The owner of the bike tells me that he would help me get the Green Book via a friend of his who has a motorcycle shop at a cost of B.70.000. However, going on the information from an established bike shop in Bangkok, it should cost B.55.000 for a 400cc imported bike.

Does anybody else have any experience with these matters? :)

Edited by tirekicker

IF it can be done.. The reg on a 400 can be 55 or so.. It can also be up to 80 or so..

Of course if any aspect of the paperwork is even a tiny bit out.. If it fails the emmissions test.. If the excise tax isnt paid.. If the customs people see a farang involved, if the winds blowing the wrong way or his mia noi didnt nosh him that morning, then think of a number and double it.

Basically with new kwakers out there, and second hand ones at under 200k, for near new with perfect paperwork.. why buy some old clunker thats been mucked about with. I mean sure a running bike with papers (green book and plate) in the 50 or 60k range, ok thats a value choice.. But all this cost and effort, over an old 400 ?? Unless you getting it for 10k forget it.

Edited by LivinLOS

IF it can be done.. The reg on a 400 can be 55 or so.. It can also be up to 80 or so..

Of course if any aspect of the paperwork is even a tiny bit out.. If it fails the emmissions test.. If the excise tax isnt paid.. If the customs people see a farang involved, if the winds blowing the wrong way or his mia noi didnt nosh him that morning, then think of a number and double it.

Basically with new kwakers out there, and second hand ones at under 200k, for near new with perfect paperwork.. why buy some old clunker thats been mucked about with. I mean sure a running bike with papers (green book and plate) in the 50 or 60k range, ok thats a value choice.. But all this cost and effort, over an old 400 ?? Unless you getting it for 10k forget it.

I hear what you're saying and have considered on of the new Kwakers with perfect paperwork, for sure nice bikes, maybe that's the way to go to avoid any headaches. Still thinking.

one emission test is 29k alone. in bkk or rayong only. most bikes dont pass 1st test. so 80k to register seems to be the norm, if done legally

forgot, ORIGINAL import and tax docs required

Edited by katabeachbum

one emission test is 29k alone. in bkk or rayong only. most bikes dont pass 1st test. so 80k to register seems to be the norm, if done legally

forgot, ORIGINAL import and tax docs required

O.K. on hearing that very useful information I doubt if i will proceed with the purchase to avoid any headaches. I appreciate your advise.

It was one thing when the only big bike options were 400 plus k.. Then you had to hunt around and make do..

But not when you can HP a kwaker.. Just wish Triumph had made the same BOI deal or we have more 4 cyl options.. As great a deal as the ER6 is, and a great light machine theres just a tiny bit missing from the desire stakes personally.

It was one thing when the only big bike options were 400 plus k.. Then you had to hunt around and make do..

But not when you can HP a kwaker.. Just wish Triumph had made the same BOI deal or we have more 4 cyl options.. As great a deal as the ER6 is, and a great light machine theres just a tiny bit missing from the desire stakes personally.

yea, there are bikes I desire more than Ninja 650, but they just havent adapted to LOS taxes, yet. So until then, I just enjoy my Ninja

:)

The owner of the bike tells me that he would help me get the Green Book via a friend of his who has a motorcycle shop at a cost of B.70.000. However, going on the information from an established bike shop in Bangkok, it should cost B.55.000 for a 400cc imported bike.

I suggest that you ask him to sort out the green book, then buy the bike. Otherwise walk away from it. Look for another bike that has a book. It isn't worth the hassle.

Thanks for all the advise and for sure i cant be doing with any problems the DMV may throw at me, also getting some other party to apply for me is still not guaranteed and could end up with a fake book.

I'll have to rethink my renewed biking enthusiasm.

Nice handle there tirekicker :) !!

I have been advising people left right and center, online and offline.. That the cheapest baht per km, you can do is the kwaker (be it any of their models).. I know people who have been given old 400's totally free.. And the dam_n thing cost them more per km than a brand new kwaker !!

Sure 'maybe' an old CBR or CB wont blow up while under you, but anything happens to it more than chains brake pad and lubes and it will be a spend $$ or burn it choice, most people (myself included) go for the fix it option, and keep doing so.. If Thais have been in the engine its usually all modded and messed with... With the kwaker your buying the whole parts supple, dealer chain network thing.

I should point out. I dont even own one.. But its the smart choice.

Nice handle there tirekicker :D !!

I have been advising people left right and center, online and offline.. That the cheapest baht per km, you can do is the kwaker (be it any of their models).. I know people who have been given old 400's totally free.. And the dam_n thing cost them more per km than a brand new kwaker !!

Sure 'maybe' an old CBR or CB wont blow up while under you, but anything happens to it more than chains brake pad and lubes and it will be a spend $$ or burn it choice, most people (myself included) go for the fix it option, and keep doing so.. If Thais have been in the engine its usually all modded and messed with... With the kwaker your buying the whole parts supple, dealer chain network thing.

I should point out. I dont even own one.. But its the smart choice.

Thanks for that LivinLos.

Agreed about the Kwaker it's legal, great value and with a good back up service. The 400cc bike in question was the Yamaha Dragstar 400cc shaft drive, the shaftdrive was the appealing bit plus the bike was in really good original condition. Oh well, I've now decided to pass on that one due to the aggravation making it legal.

Going back a few years I owned a Laverda SF2 and later the three cylinder 3C being the forerunner to the mighty Jota but maybe this would be before your time. :)