Paying Yearly Bike Tax In Bangkok

ricklev

I have a Chiang Mai registered Honda Wave which is due for sticker renewal this month, but I'm in Bangkok and I have the green book here.

I believe I read here that I could do this in Bangkok and have a couple of questions:

Where is the closest place to Siam Square to do it?

Do I need to bring the bike with me?

Do they sell the mandatory insurance in the government office or do I need to go somewhere else to buy it?

Thanks for your help!

Maybe I can respond to some of your questions.

My wife has a Honda Wave registered in Pathum Thani but she got the new sticker in Nonthaburi.

We drove to the office in a car and she handed the agent her book and came back in a few days to get the new (2554) sticker and the insurance.

It was a small car and motorcycle repair shop along the road to our house. I don't know what she saw that told her it was the place to do this.

There was a sign outside with logos of several insurance companies. I think hers was Liberty Mutual.

Thanks, yeah it would simplify things if I knew where there was an agent. Guess I can ask the motorcycle taxi guys outside my building. My Thai is mediocre at best......

It was simple in Chiang Mai at the transportation office. In and out in two minutes.

There is one Land Trasport Department office opposite of Sukhumvit Soi 62 and one in Chatuchak. There is also third one but can't remember now where. Easiest for you probably is the Sukhumvit one. Just take train to On-nut and taxi or motocy from there.

I assume your bike is less than 5 years old so no inspection needed so you can do it without your bike. Just go to the LTD office, purchase insurance (yes they have desk for insurance) and pay your taxes and get the sticker.

In Sukhumvit office the fastest way is to drop inside and buy insurance (2nd floor) and then go and pay at the drive-in booths outside. Faster that way.

Or you could check out DLT internet pages. For new cars (less than 5 years old) it is possible to do it online or pay at post office etc. Just need someone who can read thai...

Thanks Mjo, that's exactly what I needed.

This will be the 5th year of registration. That is I bought it new in March of 2549 and there are four yearly stamps in the green book. Does this mean that I now have to have it inspected or am I good for another year without inspection?

My understanding is that if the bike has been registered more than 5 years you need the inspection. So inspection first time when you pay the taxes for 6th year. I might be wrong though as mine is over 5 and i always get the inspection done.

The whole inspection thing takes 5 minutes and costs 60 baht for big bike. They just fill in a simple form and copy frame and engine numbers in it. They have never actually inspected my bike, just fill in the form and sometimes ask if it is running proper :)

Did my taxes couple of weeks ago and it took me 10 mins to get isurance done and another 15 mins to que up and pay the taxes in drive-in. I was 7 months late and had to pay 7 baht fine on top of the 100 baht road tax.

And if they tell you that you need to go to CM as the bike is registered there they are wrong. For a good while now all LTD's have been linked in same computer system so you are able to pay road tax and renew DL's etc in any office.

• 6 months later...