Best Peking Duck In Bangkok

bkkbarnstormer

Found a great Chinese restaurant on the 3rd floor of Gaysorn shopping mall.

It must be good to survive as this mall usually resembles the Marie Celeste rather than a shopping centre filled with high end shops!

Peking duck is 590THB for a whole duck including two dishes. For the second dish I usually opt for the minced duck with lettuce which is usually as good as the pancakes which are the best I have tasted anywhere in the world, even Beijing!

I am a Thai food lover but Peking duck is probably my all time favourite dish. Are others aware of any other great places for Peking Duck in Bangkok?

One point to note, the restaurant is closed between 1430 and 1800 so don't arrive at 1500, as I have done, in the past or you will be disappointed!

• 3 months later...

Scala restuarant, underneath the Scala cinemas in Siam Square

been there for more than 30 years Im told. frequented by older Thai-Chinese, so it must be good and the fact that its still there after all these years :)

been there for more than 30 years Im told. frequented by older Thai-Chinese, so it must be good and the fact that its still there after all these years :)

Is Scala still open!? I used to go there often 20 - 30 years ago but the Service was really bad so I went elsewhere after a while: however as Mom Kukrit said - the Peking Duck there was better than in Peking itself. If it's still there I must go again soon.

For me the best place for many years has been Chand Phen - on Rama 4 just about opposite the Lumpini Boxing Stadium - they also do a wonderful "Moo Han" - Suckling Pig.

Both dishes are available on the Menu - i.e. you don't have to order in advance.

Lots of other Thai / Chinese dishes, good parking and great service.

Patrick

Thats not the place down Soi Ngam Duphli is it? They have wonderful fried rice (sorry, just don't like Thai fried rice that much) and dumplings. If its the same place then will have to try their duck. If not, guess I will have to search out the other places. Scala sounds interesting, maybe get a friend to go with me when I am in bkk next month

Thats not the place down Soi Ngam Duphli is it? They have wonderful fried rice (sorry, just don't like Thai fried rice that much) and dumplings. If its the same place then will have to try their duck. If not, guess I will have to search out the other places. Scala sounds interesting, maybe get a friend to go with me when I am in bkk next month

The main entrance is on Rama IV but they have another onto Soi Ngarm Duplee.

You should also try their "Moo Han"- Suckling Pig; both that and the Peking Duck do not need to be ordered in advance as you have to do with many other places.

With both these dishes I always find the second dish - what they do with the meat / bones after you have eaten the skin - to be very disappointing so I invariably take the carcass home to give to the maid or driver.

Patrick

I am guessing this must be the really big restaurant that has a gate on rama IV? The place I am thinking of is quite small and is on the other side of the street. will give it a try. I do miss good Chinese food.

• 1 month later...

I am guessing this must be the really big restaurant that has a gate on rama IV? The place I am thinking of is quite small and is on the other side of the street. will give it a try. I do miss good Chinese food.

I know exactly which resto SBK is talking about. I read about it from SBK earlier so I went there and 1) it had a STRONG smell of cockroaches, and 2) even if the place looked old and dirty, the menu was actually quite expensive (160 to 200 per dish) compared to the "level" of restaurant. Easy to assume it's cheap though (if you don't know your prices), because the place looked extremely cheap.

Sorry, didn't try the food because of the reasons mentioned above.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

any one try FEI YA ( flying duck ) in the new Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel ?

some say peking duck is good there ?

I've tried it, yes it's excellent. Also Lin-Fa at the Siam City Hotel does excellent Beijing duck.

last Saturday I went to Fei Ya ! in general, impressive, good food good ambient !

two of us with a senior Japanese tourist couple, we tried the 'all you can eat Dim Sum' for THB788 per person, AND in addition we asked the peking duck. the peking duck came first and it was delicious and was neaty skinned. then we were full and couldn't manage much dim sum along the list :- )

it is good, yet too good and too much hotel food styling on it. worth to try !!

The place at grand china is good , but not so much for Peking duck

They do an excellent 'yum maeng kraphoon' (what's it called in English?? Grrr)

Ask for seafood sauce to go with the sesame oil dressing! Mmmmmm

I know exactly which resto SBK is talking about. I read about it from SBK earlier so I went there and 1) it had a STRONG smell of cockroaches,

Interesting. Wasn't aware they did smell. Isn't it more likely to be their habitat? Not that it matters. Just curious...

I know exactly which resto SBK is talking about. I read about it from SBK earlier so I went there and 1) it had a STRONG smell of cockroaches,

Interesting. Wasn't aware they did smell. Isn't it more likely to be their habitat? Not that it matters. Just curious...

Finally, there’s the smell. Cockroaches give off a strong, very oily odor, which becomes extremely pungent when large numbers of the insects are present. Aside from all the hygiene issues associated with a cockroach infestation, the smell itself is unpleasant and can permeate food that is left exposed to the air.

• 3 weeks later...

yes this restaurant has a fantastic reputation with quite a few chinese in bangkok for its peking duck, and i have tried it a couple of times there myself and it really is excellent