Rate Of Consumer Horrors In Pattaya (thailand)

Jingthing

OK, tonight stopped by Villa supermarket.

Shortchanged 60 baht. The cashier has a big computer screen telling her the change. Can she be that incompetent?

Stopped by Boots at the Avenue. Picked up some hair wax. Got it home and opened it up. It is 2/3 used and many hairs in it! No tester label on it either. At Boots! Now I would take it back but I am not going to make a special trip for that so by the time I get there, they will just say I used it.

While I do know to check change ALWAYS in Thailand, I hadn't thought you needed to open cosmetic products at Boots to verify they aren't used. Now you know ...

For some reason I always imagined that you are bald! Learn something everyday. :)

I can't imagine anyone doing there hair in boots but I supose stranger things have happened! Your right though, there is no point taking it back coz they will never except you did not use it. Jeez, that's another thing we have to check for.

For some reason I always imagined that you are bald! Learn something everyday. :)

I can't imagine anyone doing there hair in boots but I supose stranger things have happened! Your right though, there is no point taking it back coz they will never except you did not use it. Jeez, that's another thing we have to check for.

I am pretty sure it was a product sampler. It may have even been an innocent mistake because the tester label could have fallen off. Still, it was quite a shock when I opened it up. I have lovely locks, my dear! I still may take it back for the entertainment value if nothing else (may be in the area in a few days). I would love to hear the pushback that I used so much wax in a few days!

Edited by Jingthing

Being Boots, they may well exchange it. What colour are the hairs? Not short and curly are they? If they are not the same colour it may work.

But it being a sampler doesn't sound right! Who would test hair gel in a shop?

Now I know how to spot you...the only guy in Pattaya with a head of hair wax...by the way...what is "hair wax"? And agree that if it was a tester Boots would surely happily replace it (being a UK based chain and not the local Thai pharmacy shop).

well friendship patt tai yesterday small bottle of the ovaltine / milk mix you can drink cold.

got outside and it had been opened in that the pull back seal at the top had been partly opened / how or why anyway not risking it so back in to shop---------------ok they changed it but it took 7 people and a phone call from one to a boss somewhere. i had nothing else to do or for 29 baht would have cleared off

well friendship patt tai yesterday small bottle of the ovaltine / milk mix you can drink cold.

got outside and it had been opened in that the pull back seal at the top had been partly opened / how or why anyway not risking it so back in to shop---------------ok they changed it but it took 7 people and a phone call from one to a boss somewhere. i had nothing else to do or for 29 baht would have cleared off

Friendship are horrible to deal with in this regard. I bought a tub of “ Olivo “ olive oil spread ( 240 baht ) and when I opened it it had gone completely rancid . The expiry date was ok but maybe it had been left out of their fridge for a long time and melted and and then put back in. What a performance and so many people involved just to change for fresh tub. I feel Thai people don’t like complaining about consumer matter ?

Why does anyone still shop at Friendship...worst supermarket in Pattaya IMO on both selection, freshness (things within expiry date), and friendliness! Maybe in days past when there was no one else in town with farang goods but that's certainly not the case today. I mean, even Best Supermarket in Naklua is better...and that's not saying much.

It's a standing advertisement for typical Chinese business values (I mean, just look at the building itself)...charge high prices for sub-standard products and screw the customer when they complain. Besides, the place is a dump.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Why does anyone still shop at Friendship...worst supermarket in Pattaya IMO on both selection, freshness (things within expiry date), and friendliness! Maybe in days past when there was no one else in town with farang goods but that's certainly not the case today. I mean, even Best Supermarket in Naklua is better...and that's not saying much.

It's a standing advertisement for typical Chinese business values (I mean, just look at the building itself)...charge high prices for sub-standard products and screw the customer when they complain. Besides, the place is a dump.

That's just wrong. Friendship's prices are good and on most items are among the best in town. Rarely their meat is rotten but actually Villa market has a much bigger problem with that than Friendship.

hahaha "hair wax". you people are nutty.

I don't get your meaning. What's wrong with hair wax?

Hair wax is a thick hairstyling product containing wax, used to assist with holding the hair. In contrast with hair gel, most of which contain alcohol, hair wax remains pliable and has less chance of drying out. Consequently, hair wax is currently experiencing an increase in popularity, with many manufacturers releasing versions that are referred to as pomade, putty, glue, whip, molding gum, or styling paste.

Hair wax has been used for many years and in fact, a waxy soap-like substance was invented by the ancient Gauls as a hair styling agent and was not used as a cleaning agent until many years later.

Wiki on hair wax Edited by Jingthing

Cheap Charlie Balloon Chasers tend to just open everything and use it for free in Boots as the staff will not usually check to see if it is a tester. That is something else to watch out for. :)

The Cheap Charlies are ruining Pattaya.

DEATH TO CHEAP CHARLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha "hair wax". you people are nutty.

I don't get your meaning. What's wrong with hair wax?

Hair wax is a thick hairstyling product containing wax, used to assist with holding the hair. In contrast with hair gel, most of which contain alcohol, hair wax remains pliable and has less chance of drying out. Consequently, hair wax is currently experiencing an increase in popularity, with many manufacturers releasing versions that are referred to as pomade, putty, glue, whip, molding gum, or styling paste.

Hair wax has been used for many years and in fact, a waxy soap-like substance was invented by the ancient Gauls as a hair styling agent and was not used as a cleaning agent until many years later.

Wiki on hair wax

Why didn't you just say Brylcreem, they we'd have known what you're talking about.

I had visions of you holding a lighted candle over your head.

Brylcrem is used by people to glue there 3 hair left from one side of the head to the other, trying to cover the baldness in the middle :)

Interesting. In any case, hair wax is popular with many men including those with hair into making it look cool.

<br />
Why does anyone still shop at Friendship...worst supermarket in Pattaya IMO on both selection, freshness (things within expiry date), and friendliness! Maybe in days past when there was no one else in town with farang goods but that's certainly not the case today. I mean, even Best Supermarket in Naklua is better...and that's not saying much.<br /><br />It's a standing advertisement for typical Chinese business values (I mean, just look at the building itself)...charge high prices for sub-standard products and screw the customer when they complain. Besides, the place is a dump.
That's just wrong. Friendship's prices are good and on most items are among the best in town. Rarely their meat is rotten but actually Villa market has a much bigger problem with that than Friendship.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I've been in Villa and watched the staff repackage ham or even stick a new label on the old one. And NO it wasn't for price reduction.

In friendship the other day and a Thai dropped a carton of orange which broke open. Staff appeared from nowhere and laughed it off. After that I picked a carton and the cheeky buggers put the broken carton on the counter at checkout expecting me to pay. Luckily the original person was at the next till and confirmed my story.

As for cheap charlies, perhaps they wouldn't be so cheap if exchange rates remained stable instead of falling. (pun not intended)

Friendship DOES NOT charge for motorcycle parking.

Friendship does charge for parking your car UNLESS your get your sales receipt stamped at the cashier--in which case parking is free for 90 minutes or so.

I too saw some typical Pattaya riff raft in Friendship the other day. This piece of work actually opened (unscrewed the cap and broke the seal) of a bottle of something or another, but a food product.

He stuck his nose into the jar, looked at the label, then placed the jar back on the shelve laying the lid next to it walking away as if his actions were completely normal. :)

As someone else mentioned, it may be worth taking the time to inspect our purchases closely to make sure the usual Pattaya riff raft hasn't stuck his nose in it beforehand.

Be careful folks, it's a jungle out there. :D

Cheers...

A couple of months ago we bought two bottles of listerine at Villa Market - they came wrapped together in plastic. The cashier rang only for 1 making them half-price. So we went back to the shelves and bought 1 more pair and again the cashier only rang for 1.

Several weeks later we bought another two bottles wrapped together - and this time a different cashier charged us for 2. Huh?????

I too saw some typical Pattaya riff raft in Friendship the other day. This piece of work actually opened (unscrewed the cap and broke the seal) of a bottle of something or another, but a food product.

He stuck his nose into the jar, looked at the label, then placed the jar back on the shelve laying the lid next to it walking away as if his actions were completely normal. :)

Could it be that he noticed it was (maybe way) past the sell by date, checked to confirm, and left the cap to ensure nobody would buy it by mistake? Yeah he probably should have told the staff, but what would they have done? Probably shrugged it off with a "mai pen rai" .... TiT

Cheap Charlie Balloon Chasers tend to just open everything and use it for free in Boots as the staff will not usually check to see if it is a tester. That is something else to watch out for. :)

The Cheap Charlies are ruining Pattaya.

DEATH TO CHEAP CHARLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where is this cheap charlies bar anyway i have 34 cc friends raring to go and spend 35 baht on one drink and eat for free all night

This should be moved to the hair wax forum.

However, please stop saying anything negative about Pattaya.

Why?

Do you not want people to tell and know the truth?

Do you want everyone on this forum to falsely believe that Pattaya is perfect. No place is perfect and all the posters are doing is giving some board members some very valuable information. It is then up to them to do what they want.

Forewarned is forearmed.

JT...maybe it would be wise just to get your haircut again,i think this is all kharma from your refusal to visit seh deang todd :)

Don't need a haircut at the moment. Maybe the redvolution will be finished by next time.