New 2010 Vespa?

nikster

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had to go today to check out the new 2010 Vespas at Nyom Panich near Airport Plaza.

It turned out I was there to check out the "Vespa" since they only had 1.

The 1 that was there was a pretty yellow 125CC. Price B89K

Cool looking little thing.

Edited by sendbaht

I beg to differ. And of course this is a subjective thing and what is beautiful to one person is not beautiful to another. I think back when Dustin Hoffman starred in "The Graduate" the Vespa he drove was cute. But back then there was no competition. Just one day ago I saw about three Vespas all lined up and felt they were absolutely butt ugly compared to a Fino. Also if I recall they don't produce the power either and need more CC's than Honda and Yamahas and still can't come up to the mark of the smaller bikes. Check this out Vespa specs According to this one gets to spend about twice as much money as he would for a Fino to buy a bike that will get only 70-75 miles to the gallon which will only go 59 miles an hour. But it gets even worse. It's got one wheel that's just 10 inches in diameter while the other is just 11 inches. 8.9 kw horsepower on 150 cc's. The Yamaha Nouvo Elegance produces 11.2 with just 135 c.c's.

I beg to differ. And of course this is a subjective thing and what is beautiful to one person is not beautiful to another. I think back when Dustin Hoffman starred in "The Graduate" the Vespa he drove was cute. But back then there was no competition. Just one day ago I saw about three Vespas all lined up and felt they were absolutely butt ugly compared to a Fino. Also if I recall they don't produce the power either and need more CC's than Honda and Yamahas and still can't come up to the mark of the smaller bikes. Check this out Vespa specs According to this one gets to spend about twice as much money as he would for a Fino to buy a bike that will get only 70-75 miles to the gallon which will only go 59 miles an hour. But it gets even worse. It's got one wheel that's just 10 inches in diameter while the other is just 11 inches. 8.9 kw horsepower on 150 cc's. The Yamaha Nouvo Elegance produces 11.2 with just 135 c.c's.

You have obviously never ridden one of those.. Less power than a fino ?? Out of a 150cc 2 stroke ??

And a fino looking better than a classic vespa ?? I would rather have a vasectomy than ride a fino.

LivinLos The new Vespas are 4 strokers the older Vespas were 2 strokers.

Jackcorbett

I think comparing a Vespa with a Fino is like comparing a Harley with a Japanese Bike( although a different league really).

For riding a Vespa you don't buy it for some high performance nor do you buy it for being cheap- this even applied to their classic models...it is a Vespa and thats why people buy it for they do not look for high peformance really ,it has its own look ( which some may not like..) but it also has a something what the Fino doesn't have ...it has class and character. The Fino and the Scoopy is a modified copy of the Vespa , nothing more really . We have at home a Fino and a Scoopy ( primarily missus is using it but sometimes i also ride them out) and they are nice little bikes, but a Vespa is a Vespa ....nothing else compares.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

And where in Thailand, outside of a dealer, do you see 3 new vespa 150's (4 strokes) lined up ??

Loads of classic vespas around..

The three Vespas were at a dealership.

My comment re Harley's being classics and Vespas being classics, point well taken. Each to his own. But I sure wouldn't want my girlfriend risking her life on those little tires and wheels. Harleys at least are on a par with most other bikes when it comes to relative safety or lack of thereof.

Just had to go today to check out the new 2010 Vespas at Nyom Panich near Airport Plaza.

It turned out I was there to check out the "Vespa" since they only had 1.

The 1 that was there was a pretty yellow 125CC. Price B89K

Cool looking little thing.

They've moved their stock to the Nimman location. Used to be the Triumph show room, now converted to Vespas and a few PCX (strange combination but OK). All but the yellow one are there. However, there's apparently a 1 month wait anyway.

And where in Thailand, outside of a dealer, do you see 3 new vespa 150's (4 strokes) lined up ??

But I sure wouldn't want my girlfriend risking her life on those little tires and wheels.

Can't agree with this line, as it mostly depends on the riders ability to be either risky or not .... my thought is that most of the scooter accident here are caused on human error or lack of drivers ability or alcoholism, influence of ...or hit by someone else ( ie car) ...i must say i never saw an accident here or anywhere else i have been, because of small wheels...did you?

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

But I sure wouldn't want my girlfriend risking her life on those little tires and wheels.

Can't agree with this line, as it mostly depends on the riders ability to be either risky or not .... my thought is that most of the scooter accident here are caused on human error or lack of drivers ability or alcoholism, influence of ...or hit by someone else ( ie car) ...i must say i never saw an accident here or anywhere else i have been, because of small wheels...did you?

I agree ^^^

I didn't even consider this assumption worthy of an answer, to be honest. Little tires are unsafe how? Right, if you go too fast. Maybe also if you're drunk. Since I don't think the mrs will be racing her shiny new toy, she'll be just fine. Quite possibly safer than her hubby on large ER-6n tires...

Safety is primarily a matter of speed and attention. There's proof all around you - look at the 60 year old granpa from the village on his entirely unsafe 20 year old Honda. Does he ever have an accident? No. He also never exceeds 40kph. It's the rider, not the bike.

Edited by nikster

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Found one of my ex fellow condo mates all hunkered down on his Honda Click trying to get in the front entrance gate with the help of a friend. Just a few minutes earlier he had lost control of his bike in a sandy stretch of the road. The bike went out from under him. Had he had a much bigger bike with substantially larger tires perhaps he would have avoided the accident. Then again, perhaps not. This point can always be argued. If Patrick had been going a lot slower there's not a shadow of a doubt he would never have had the accident in the first place. So we can chalk this up to human error. On the other hand perhaps he was driving sensibly enough had he been driving a bike with substantially larger tires and wheels.

doesn't it seem a little exaggerated??

Nope. I think much more of my girlfriend than 10 or 11 inch wheels which are more suitable for lawnmowers than road going motorbikes.

doesn't it seem a little exaggerated??

Nope. I think much more of my girlfriend than 10 or 11 inch wheels which are more suitable for lawnmowers than road going motorbikes.

150cc Modena maxi scoot has only similar sized wheels, and provides a much more comfortable ride than anything on the Thai market.

The KSR's are only 12 inch wheels.. good solid tyres etc..

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Found one of my ex fellow condo mates all hunkered down on his Honda Click trying to get in the front entrance gate with the help of a friend. Just a few minutes earlier he had lost control of his bike in a sandy stretch of the road. The bike went out from under him. Had he had a much bigger bike with substantially larger tires perhaps he would have avoided the accident. Then again, perhaps not. This point can always be argued. If Patrick had been going a lot slower there's not a shadow of a doubt he would never have had the accident in the first place. So we can chalk this up to human error. On the other hand perhaps he was driving sensibly enough had he been driving a bike with substantially larger tires and wheels.

The Bold & underlined applies....the mistake that he was riding faster than the sandy surface allows. A bigger tire wouldn't have done anything better as he was too fast (or he was braking too hard on that sandy surface) 100% drivers fault ...i am not sure what this example should serve for as it is so obvious for the human error. If he was driving sensible he wouldn't have had this accident. Blaming it on small tires is not valid nor appropriate.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Vespa in stock now. At least in Chiang Mai!

I decided to order a Vespa today, so I went to Nyom Panich by the airport. I thought it's gonna be 1 or 2 months wait anyway. But... they had a black 150 LX in stock so I went for it. Results see below... a happy Mrs... very pretty bike, I must say.

IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

I decided to order a Vespa today, so I went to Nyom Panich by the airport. I thought it's gonna be 1 or 2 months wait anyway. But... they had a black 150 LX in stock so I went for it. Results see below... a happy Mrs... very pretty bike, I must say.

IMG_3486.jpg

I'm surprised there are no Crocs in this picture.. Those sandals won't protect her feet very good - nice little Vespa though;)

I'm surprised there are no Crocs in this picture.. Those sandals won't protect her feet very good - nice little Vespa though;)

ROFL

yeah I keep telling her baby, you need Crocs, that's the best way to protect your feet, just look at me :P

IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

Hi nikster,

nice vespa and hope your missus is having a lot of fun on it too...please keep us updated how it runs over time. Maybe i'll get one for my wife too some day.I certainly hope Vespa is growing here and become easily available nationwide.

So you both can tour the north , each on their own bike...ER6N & 150LX :rolleyes:

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

• 1 month later...

IMG_3482.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

Hi

I went to test drive the LX 150 last week at the Thonglor showroom in Bangkok. Very solid bike, very well built and smooth, quick drive, soaked up bumps and road very well. I think the extra Baht is worth it if the bike is enjoyable to drive and has character as well as being more comfortable, fun to drive, well built. Should hold value here very well too. The ride and the attention to detail on the machine seemed excellent. What I didn't find out was whether this bike has the new electronic fuel injected engine which the Vietnam LX 150s are now using.. They told me that the model had new anti-theft electronics (special chip-encoded key, electronics disabled without it)..

Nikster - what was the warranty offered and what about insurance? How is your wife finding life with a Vespa?

Thanks, safe driving...

FF..

• 6 months later...

Do not under estimate the smallish wheels, read up on the suspension setup.Something unique to Vespa. You may be pleasantly surprised at what the Vespa can do. Vespa being scooters are built for specific usage. If I want to run with the boys on an open road, I will ride my litre bikes, else the Vespa GTS300 will outrun and out turn every scooter in town.

Also find out what the Vespa will do to the Jap scooters on a hill run.

I don't know about junk but I just came off an American Vespa web site and this is what I came up with. A 150 c.c.. Vespa costs $4500 in the U.S. It has dinky 11 inch tires so I'd think driving it at the upper end of its performance curve would be like driving in a wet sand box. It does only 59 miles an hour, has less than 9 horsepower and is rated at only around 75 miles to the gallon. There is a much smaller 50 c.c. Vespa for around $3300 but it will only do 37 miles an hour. Or one can pay over $5000 and own the road by getting 300 c.c. Vespa. But it actually only has around 270 cc's and Vespa only claims 80 miles an hour for it. In some countries Honda has the 300 Shi i and it will do 85 miles an hour or so according to road tests that I've read. Moreover the Italian offering rides on still dinky 12 inch tires and it's only going to set you back $6000 or so for this. I don't know about the rest of you here, but it looks like when one buys Vespa one buys inferior engineering at much higher Italian labor costs. I suppose one might argue that it's all about style, but if I want that special Italian style I think I'd go with a 40,000 baht Yamaha Fino riding on 14 inch tires.

It has a payload rating of 200kgs and you would not loose speed climbing an incline.

I have a 10 year old Italian-made Vespa ET4 150cc here in America, and the build quality surpasses any of the Thailand Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki scooters. The motors are bomb-proof 4-strokes that go forever. The entire bike is made of high quality metals not cheap alloys and recycled car-bumpers like the Airblade and Nouvos.

I ride either a Nuovo or Airblade in Thailand which are great scooters but prefer my Vespa. I'm very interested in seeing the Vietnam built LX150, and will buy one for that price. Seems like a great deal unless they are really inferior to the Italian made ones. If anything it comes down to seat size, which is larger and accommodates 2 large farangs comfortably. Plus the small tires are excellent for city driving although not meant for the dirt.

Though smaller in diameter but they are much broader. And it has a much lower CG.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Fully agree. Finos are "Just Pretend" Vespas

LivinLos The new Vespas are 4 strokers the older Vespas were 2 strokers.

Jackcorbett

I think comparing a Vespa with a Fino is like comparing a Harley with a Japanese Bike( although a different league really).

For riding a Vespa you don't buy it for some high performance nor do you buy it for being cheap- this even applied to their classic models...it is a Vespa and thats why people buy it for they do not look for high peformance really ,it has its own look ( which some may not like..) but it also has a something what the Fino doesn't have ...it has class and character. The Fino and the Scoopy is a modified copy of the Vespa , nothing more really . We have at home a Fino and a Scoopy ( primarily missus is using it but sometimes i also ride them out) and they are nice little bikes, but a Vespa is a Vespa ....nothing else compares.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox