Howard Miller Appointed New British Honorary Consul For Pattaya

george

Howard Miller appointed new British

Honorary Consul for Pattaya

post-128-073311000 1278687420_thumb.jpg

Howard Miller, new British

honorary consul for Pattaya

PATTAYA, Chonburi: Howard Miller has been appointed as the new British honorary consul for Pattaya. Howard is a hardworking expat known for his PattayaOne.net TV channel, radio station and website. Mr. Howard Miller is also the head of the Pattaya Tourist Police Volunteers.

The former British honorary consul for Pattaya, Sir Barry Kenyon, announced in February 2010 that he would stand down in June 2010 as his contract expired.

Honorary consuls are local agents who typically deal with problems such as the arrest of British nationals, deaths, serious hospitalizations and various other categories of distress. Additionally, a consulate was opened in Jomtien in December 2008 to provide a wide variety of notarial services for British nationals in the Pattaya area.

Thaivisa.com congratulates Howard Miller on his honorary consul appointment.

--thaivisa.com 2010-07-09

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much everyone. Definetly a big challenge for me.

I want to clarify a few points.

1. I begin on 1st August

2. I am quitting the Tourist Police with effect from 31st July

3. I apologize to anyone who comments on this thread as I am not able to join in any detailed discussions regarding the post.

4. I hope to see some of you in the Consulate Office next to Immigration in Jomtien in the near future.

Howard

Congrats on new position Howard! :clap2: Sorry to hear you will be leaving the FTPV, however guess it would be a conflict as such. Anyways good to know we have a lad who knows the system and will pull for us when we are in need. Must admit will miss seeing you on Walking Street! :(

Congratulations on appointment and also more congratulations on quitting the tourist police though I suspect this was a necessity as there could have been conflicts of interest.

Anyway I'm sure with your new post you'll still be dealing with the BIB any time of day or night in your role as Honorary Consul looking after citizens who have been arrested and ensure their treated in the same way as a Thai citizen would be.

I don't begrudge you that job but enjoy.

Nice one Howard and good luck with this position.

You probably don't remember me, but we met some 3 years ago when I was doing research in Pattaya for Chula Uni. Sorry that I never did contact you for the follow up interview ...it all went pearshaped my end with the sponsors and the shift in sponsors ...long story if you want to PM me lol.

All the best ... triple You :thumbsup:

Edited by YouYouYou

Thanks very much everyone. Definetly a big challenge for me.

I want to clarify a few points.

1. I begin on 1st August

2. I am quitting the Tourist Police with effect from 31st July

3. I apologize to anyone who comments on this thread as I am not able to join in any detailed discussions regarding the post.

4. I hope to see some of you in the Consulate Office next to Immigration in Jomtien in the near future.

Howard

Congratulations Howard.

Out of curiosity how did you get the job?

Did the British Embassy approach you or was the position advertized?

Probably one of the posts you wont answer?

Well done and congratulations Howard, as has been said big shoes to step in to but with your local knowledge and experience I am sure you will be fine. We worked closely with Barry and I feel confident we can do the same with your good self.

Once again Well Done

Bert

Secretary

Royal British Legion Thailand

Howard is a really honest and forthright person. I'm sure he'll do the position proud.

All the best to you. I'm sure the British Embassy in Bangkok have chosen wisely after exhaustive checking of all candidates.

Good Luck Howard...thainet

Once again, thanks very much for the kind comments, they are really appreciated. I am looking forward to serving all British ex-pats and tourists who require consular services in Pattaya.

@Bert - Look forward to meeting up with you soon.

Howard

Edited by hm1973

Not a Brit, but.

To my view, this is a SHOCKINGLY poor idea to have the same man be both a major local MEDIA maven AND an honorary consul.

So an expat/tourist in distress, and he will see many, tells this man EVERYTHING to get the needed help of his government. Then what happens with his "secrets"? Isn't there the concern that they may be instantly reported in the less than ethical press here? Wouldn't that suppress the willingness of clients to be open with the HC?

It seems to me this is a ridiculously INAPPROPRIATE choice unless the media part of the job is quit.

Par for the course for Pattaya, I suppose.

Please note -- the questions in the post are general RHETORICAL questions. They were not intended to be directed to the new HC.

Edited by Jingthing

Howard is a really honest and forthright person. I'm sure he'll do the position proud.All the best to you. I'm sure the British Embassy in Bangkok have chosen wisely after exhaustive checking of all candidates.Good Luck Howard...thainet

Not a Brit, but.To my view, this is a SHOCKINGLY poor idea to have the same man be both a major local MEDIA maven AND an honorary consul.So an expat/tourist in distress, and he will see many, tells this man EVERYTHING to get the needed help of his government. Then what happens with his "secrets"? Isn't there the concern that they may be instantly reported in the less than ethical press here? Wouldn't that suppress the willingness of clients to be open with the HC?It seems to me this is a ridiculously INAPPROPRIATE choice unless the media part of the job is quit.Par for the course for Pattaya, I suppose.Please note -- the questions in the post are general RHETORICAL questions. They were not intended to be directed to the new HC.

You cannot please all of the people all of the time, but give the British Embassy Credit they are not naive or stupid, they took many things in consideration, interviewed and weighed the pros and the cons and I am sure Howard was the overwhelming choice. He is fair, honest and level headed and will do the job without fail or compromising integrity.

Edited by Maestro
Removed quoted text of post that has since been deleted and reply to it.