New Honda Model In October ?

Those bastard cops have ripped me off enough but it's hard to fight them without the lawbook.

Be careful when talking back to Thai buffalo Police, and telling them that they're wrong. Failing the attitude test may well cost a lot more time, money and headaches than just paying them the 200b and being on your way.

I found this out the hard way with my fully legal bike confiscated by 2 coppers refusing to give so much as their names, let alone any type of ticket. The bike would have disappeared no doubt. It cost me hours, a 1000b, and a scratch down the side of the fairing from him putting on the wheel clamp.

Paying my 200b with a shitty smile and salute would have been the better option. I accept it as part of life here now. Fighting it with your sense of morality and integrity can cause you a lot of grief.

Well, every situation is different and I agree that when it's a straight up after dark shake down by masked coppers or even better the guys in plain clothes claiming to be cops, that you may be better off paying the dam_n bribe rather than risk it turning into something ugly. But for "proper" daytime checkpoints where the coppers wear name tags and claim to be doing things "by the book" I've found a little law lesson has been very effective. To each their own- do what you're comfortable with- there are no set rules when it comes to dealing with the bent coppers here in Thailand. Good luck and happy trails!

I agree politely talking to them about nonsense and pleading your case and acting ignorant works a lot of the time. I've told a few that I'm an ajarn and on my way to work in Chulalongkorn and after a minute or so of them lecturing the law to the ignorant newbee, with me apologizing and saying that I wasn't aware of the law I've been on my way free of charge.

Usually it's about 30% of the time I get away without paying.

50% pay 200b.

15% pay 400b (as I haven't got a license).

5% able to run past them - Rear hug the car infront and keep on going.

• 2 weeks later...

As I havent seen or ridden one of these copies, its not for me to comment on relative quality of Chinese bikes vers Japanese/Thai produced bikes.

But as the Chiese produced copy has an air cooled pushrod motor the performance is obviously not up to Honda's CBR 150 performance..

However it costs (in China) less than half the price of the Honda CBR 150 in Thailand. To, some that is a determining factor in choice.

What I will say though, is that within about 10 years Chinese bikes will dominate the Asian markets. (As the japanese took over from British/Euro cars/bikes 30 years or so ago)

The Chinese have been producing electric bikes for many years......Honda are only now starting to develop electric bikes.........which is the way the small commuter scooter will go for sure.

Any enlarged compitition in the market can only be good...wider choice, more competitive pricing. The bad either improve their product ......or drop out of the market. All good for the consumer.

In the mean time looks like I may be buying a Yamaha soon.....cant wait for Honda any longer.

As I havent seen or ridden one of these copies, its not for me to comment on relative quality of Chinese bikes vers Japanese/Thai produced bikes.

But as the Chiese produced copy has an air cooled pushrod motor the performance is obviously not up to Honda's CBR 150 performance..

However it costs (in China) less than half the price of the Honda CBR 150 in Thailand. To, some that is a determining factor in choice.

What I will say though, is that within about 10 years Chinese bikes will dominate the Asian markets. (As the japanese took over from British/Euro cars/bikes 30 years or so ago)

The Chinese have been producing electric bikes for many years......Honda are only now starting to develop electric bikes.........which is the way the small commuter scooter will go for sure.

Any enlarged compitition in the market can only be good...wider choice, more competitive pricing. The bad either improve their product ......or drop out of the market. All good for the consumer.

In the mean time looks like I may be buying a Yamaha soon.....cant wait for Honda any longer.

Here a CBR150R copy, has DOHC, watercooling, up-site-down forks, and a lot of aftermarket extra accessories already installed. Downside to the design, it's a to good a copy of the Honda CBR150R, as it also didn't pass the Thai emission test.

P.S. I also attached a Original Honda CBR150R with same color set

post-12170-069184200 1281492525_thumb.jp

post-12170-043009700 1281492700_thumb.jp

Edited by Richard-BKK

Today I went to the Honda dealer on Huay Kaew Road in Chiang Mai and spoke to a salesman who actually spoke pretty good English. I talked about the CBR 150, and how I wanted a new one, but Honda wasn't making them any more. He told me they stopped producing them for Thailand because all Thai bikes from Honda will be F/I with no carburetor. But, and he was adamant about this, they are coming out with a NEW CBR 150 sometime soon, but he wasn't sure when.

I gave him my card and told him that if he was positive, as soon as they come out, call me and I'll take the first black one he can get his hands on. He took me in the office and gave my card to a woman there, telling her - in English - that I wanted a new CBR 150. She smiled and nodded and said "they will be out soon".

Ok, then I come home and find a reply to an email I sent to Honda the other day about the CBR 150. The email told me the same thing the dealer did about the carburetor, and then stated they (Honda) would be "introducing and new model soon".

Now, while he didn't specifically state that it WOULD be a CBR150, I'm assuming (which could be a mistake), that's what he's talking about. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Today I went to the Honda dealer on Huay Kaew Road in Chiang Mai and spoke to a salesman who actually spoke pretty good English. I talked about the CBR 150, and how I wanted a new one, but Honda wasn't making them any more. He told me they stopped producing them for Thailand because all Thai bikes from Honda will be F/I with no carburetor. But, and he was adamant about this, they are coming out with a NEW CBR 150 sometime soon, but he wasn't sure when.

I gave him my card and told him that if he was positive, as soon as they come out, call me and I'll take the first black one he can get his hands on. He took me in the office and gave my card to a woman there, telling her - in English - that I wanted a new CBR 150. She smiled and nodded and said "they will be out soon".

Ok, then I come home and find a reply to an email I sent to Honda the other day about the CBR 150. The email told me the same thing the dealer did about the carburetor, and then stated they (Honda) would be "introducing and new model soon".

Now, while he didn't specifically state that it WOULD be a CBR150, I'm assuming (which could be a mistake), that's what he's talking about. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Could also just be dealers are gutted to be missing the CBR sales and really want head office to have a replacement.. Wishful thinking etc..

I did some more searching and found this Dept of Land and Transport interactive site.

Just click the English tab and Rules of the Road area.

Page 12 in it pretty much says you have to be in the left lane unless there's an obstruction or the left lane is less than 6 meters in width.

Page 14 says you should overtake to the right.

Page 15 says left overtaking is possible but the explanations are cut off, of course.

I guess I'll just carry the ThaiLaws.com translation and try to talk myself out of tickets better.

I still can't find the link to the online bilingual Land Traffic Act that spells out the road traffic laws here in Thailand but here are the relevant sections in English and Thai for your reference. Recommend you print it and carry it in your wallet for the next time some corrupt Bangkok cop tries to pull this scam on you. (Ever notice how this ONLY happens in Bangkok?) ;) I tell you the look on their faces is priceless when you go for your wallet and they think they're getting some dough, only to receive a lesson in Thai traffic law instead. :lol: If you want to take it to the next step ask them for their name and why they don't know the law. That gets you sent off right quick! :cheesy:

1. Vehicle Driving

Section 31

[unless otherwise stated in Section 65 and Section 66 concerning the bus lane, use of roadways shall be in accordance with following sections.]

Section 32

[The driver shall be careful not to hit pedestrians, and may use the horn if necessary. The driver shall be especially careful with children, elderly persons and disabled persons.]

Section 33 (500B)

[When driving, the driver shall keep to the left of the road and must not drive beyond the middle of the roadway, except following situations:

▪ a. there is obstruction on the road

▪ b. the road is prescribed as one-way

▪ c. the road width is less than 6m.

Section 34 (500B)

[if the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:

▪ a. there is obstruction on the road

▪ b. the road is prescribed as one-way

▪ c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction

▪ d. when overtaking another vehicle

▪ e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

1. การขับขี่ยานพาหนะ

มาตรา 31

[เว้นแต่จะระบุเป็นอย่างอื่นในมาตรา 65 และมาตรา 66 เกี่ยวกับช่องทางรถบัสการใช้ roadways จะตามไปส่วน.]

มาตรา 32

[ขับ รถจะต้องระมัดระวังไม่ให้ตี pedestrians และอาจใช้แตรหากจำเป็น. ขับรถจะต้องระมัดระวังโดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งกับเด็กคนสูงอายุและคนพิการ.]

มาตรา 33 (500B)

[ขับรถคนขับจะเก็บด้านซ้ายของถนนและต้องไม่ขับเกินกลางถนนนอกจากนี้สถานการณ์เมื่อ:

▪ a. มีสิ่งกีดขวางบนถนนนั้น

▪ b. ถนนจะกำหนดเป็นทางเดียว

▪ c. ความกว้างถนนน้อยกว่า 6M.

มาตรา 34 (500B)

[หาก เดินทางแบ่งเป็นสองหรือมากกว่าเส้นทางการจราจรในทิศทางเดียวกันคนขับจะให้ไป ไกลสุดช่องทางด้านซ้ายมือ. ถ้าไกลสุดช่องทางด้านซ้ายมือเป็นช่องทางรถคนขับจะให้ใกล้กับช่องทางรถบัส. ยกเว้นกรณีต่อไปนี้

▪ a. มีสิ่งกีดขวางบนถนนนั้น

▪ b. ถนนจะกำหนดเป็นทางเดียว

▪ c. ที่จำเป็นเพื่อเข้าสู่ช่องทางที่ถูกต้องเมื่อใกล้ทางแยก

▪ d. ตามทันรถอีกเมื่อ

▪ e. เมื่อขับรถเร็วกว่ารถในด้านซ้ายมีทางด้านมือ. MOVING FASTER THAN LEFT LANE

Ride On!

Tony

This from 1979. My wife thinks it has been updated since and that motorcycles are supposed to stay on the left.

Edited by lennya12threh

Again it's not a CBR, and the answers of the 'new' can be found in everything I said in all topics announcing the end of the CBR150R over the last 2 years.

So when is it likely to be in the showrooms? Mit Yon knew nothing about it today or they were playing dumb.

Again it's not a CBR, and the answers of the 'new' can be found in everything I said in all topics announcing the end of the CBR150R over the last 2 years.

So when is it likely to be in the showrooms? Mit Yon knew nothing about it today or they were playing dumb.

To my idea, Honda Thailand is at the mid to end of September ready to introduce the new bike on the market. But as I'm not a local, I cannot predict what a “lucky” day is for the official introduction of a new motorcycle. For the actual date you can better consult with your local Buddhist temple, as Honda Thailand does the same, to find the best date to launch a new motorcycle. So as other people have suggested it could well be mid or end October.

To my idea, Honda Thailand is at the mid to end of September ready to introduce the new bike on the market. But as I'm not a local, I cannot predict what a “lucky” day is for the official introduction of a new motorcycle. For the actual date you can better consult with your local Buddhist temple, as Honda Thailand does the same, to find the best date to launch a new motorcycle. So as other people have suggested it could well be mid or end October.

Hi Richard

Do you have any contact details for Honda motorcycles in Thailand as I am trying to but a parts manual for my Phantom and all the dealers around here shake their heads and mutter mai mee.

My local dealer wont even lend me the manual overnight to scan it into my PC. <_<

Hi Richard

Do you have any contact details for Honda motorcycles in Thailand as I am trying to but a parts manual for my Phantom and all the dealers around here shake their heads and mutter mai mee.

My local dealer wont even lend me the manual overnight to scan it into my PC. <_<

For something like this you best call the call center and they know exactly where and when parts can be available. The problem is that most independed dealers don't want to stock Honda parts from motorcycles which are out of production. The phone number for the Honda call center is 02-725-4000

Edited by Richard-BKK