If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? 4

Jockstar

Since 1928, the "Last Post" has been played every evening at 8 p.m. by buglers of the local Last Post association at the war memorial at Ypres in Belgium known as the Menin Gate, commemorating the British Empire dead at the Battle of Ypres during the First World War. The only exception to this was during the four years of the German occupation of Ypres from 20 May 1940 to 6 September 1944, when the ceremony moved to Brookwood Cemetery in England. On the evening that Polish forces liberated Ypres, the ceremony was resumed at the Menin Gate, in spite of the heavy fighting still going on in other parts of the town. 

Those of us who have been fortunate enough to not suffer the fate of those who died in war, should never forget the ultimate sacrifice so many made.

For me, The Last Post  with the usual khaki uniform and bugle, sums up images of that terrible, insane slaughter of WW1-  but sadly massacres of whole swathes of populations are continuing to this day  in Syria and  parts of Africa . 

Music such as this moves the listener regarding the tragedy and senseless terrible waste of life in war-  if only those who preach and practise war could feel the same way.

Edited by bannork
  • Like 1

I distinctly remember the dodgy lyrics referring to floors in the song above as some of my school friends delighted in shouting them out after a couple of beers at parties. Some of the nice middle -class girls attending, looked askance at them, quite rightly so.

Great music though, from the man for all seasons.

As below

• Like 1