Big Bike Question

snowflake

So, after a friendly chat with my bank yesterday (like it when it is positive) I have decided that I might go the step up now and finally get that big bike back... I don't really want an ER6 (they are nice, but I am 190 tall and very heavy)... I would prefer a liter bike, and with that it would have to be a second hand bike...

After a quick search on the net (yes, I can google)...

Red Baron sells a R1 for 385000B, what is the deal with that bike? It has been there for quite some time now...

I also found a nice clean looking 999 (2004), for 320000B, any clue what can be wrong with that?

Another question, has anyone seen or ridden the Vulcan 900cc??? What is up with that bike? How come there are not so many of them around???

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi snowflake ...the bikes you are looking at ,are all quite different Vulcan900 vs R1 ?

What is your budget and what are you intending to do with your bikes? Touring, visit the track , only some short spins, multiday trip in "all-kind" of terrain?

We know( through your own words) that you are a large person so your preferences on the bike should be mentioned,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Edited by Tigersachsclub

I love sports bikes, my last was the KwakZX12R... so I do like speed... I know the two bikes types are different, but somehow I am quite facinated by the Vulcan... The problem with the R1 is that I have seen that add there for over 1 year now... is there something wrong with the bike?

The Ducati 999 (2004) must be something wrong with that to be sold off for 320000B...

I want to go on some longer journeys, but not for days... I do have my PCX for in town riding (now, with an R1 or Duke, I would not need it) but with the Vulcan... maybe...

I am not 100% sure yet, as I have also seen on some web pages that the Honda 1000CB will cost about 400000...

(my fav. bike is the GSXR1000 K6 in white) just like someone has here on the forum, but just out of my price range... (I am a poor teacher!!)

Sorry snowflake, have you ridden an R1? They are fairly cramped for a large man such as yourself, very 600cc sized, sure they have a big bang & performance/handling to boot but for long rides, comfortable they are not.

Ive had two of those suckers & fortunately at the time they were not my only bike, so when I wanted to ride further afield I always saddled up the other ride :lol: .

I love sports bikes, my last was the KwakZX12R... so I do like speed... I know the two bikes types are different, but somehow I am quite facinated by the Vulcan... The problem with the R1 is that I have seen that add there for over 1 year now... is there something wrong with the bike?

The Ducati 999 (2004) must be something wrong with that to be sold off for 320000B...

I want to go on some longer journeys, but not for days... I do have my PCX for in town riding (now, with an R1 or Duke, I would not need it) but with the Vulcan... maybe...

I am not 100% sure yet, as I have also seen on some web pages that the Honda 1000CB will cost about 400000...

(my fav. bike is the GSXR1000 K6 in white) just like someone has here on the forum, but just out of my price range... (I am a poor teacher!!)

For the Honda price to materialize you probably need to wait a few months.

am i right to assume you are looking at a price range not higher than 350-400.000,- thb?

If you're worried about being too big for an ER6 then you will certainly be uncomfortable on an R1.

I'm guessing the 2004 R1 that Red Baron is selling for 385,000฿ is restricted. Otherwise it would no doubt have sold already at that price.

090911-0000406.jpg

Why don't you just call them and ask? 02-729-4131-2

The Kawasaki Vulcan 900 is very popular here in Thailand. There's a big Vulcan club in Bangkok that goes out on trips regularly. 460-485k Baht:

P_VNC&G.jpg

I don't see many for sale second hand which leads me to believe that the owners are happy with their bikes and not keen to sell.

You can find clean K5-K6 GSXRs for ~400-500k Baht. Less if invoice only.

Not sure of your budget and what type of loan your bank is willing to give you. It's generally easier to finance a new vehicle than a used one. Have you checked Kawasaki finance terms on the Vulcan 900? No idea about your budget or your income but if you can't swing the Vulcan though Kawasaki then I think you probably can't afford any of the other bikes you've mentioned either...

Good luck!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

so we know snowflake is a big guy he wants his bike to deliver speed & power but he also fancies the Vulcan 900 ("chopper" thai would say) ...my suggestion to all this is a Vmax ....it brings all that you need except track-racing nor offroad abilities

maybe this helps?

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Edited by Tigersachsclub

Maybe a blackbird would be an ideal bike.Have a look at the link below.Have heard some negative things regarding this company but has I,ve never dealt with them in person there only rumours.Cannot do

any harm to inquire i suppose.

http://www.tpmotorcy...listproduct.asp

The critical thing with this company- do not pay one Baht until you have a legal green book in hand (which of course means they won't sell you a bike and might even chase you out of their shop with a baseball bat). No joke! :o

Is that a clue Richard that Honda will very shortly be selling litre bikes etc?

2008 R1 for 320k baht... http://classifieds.t...2008-63195.html

Don't know anything about this bike, but maybe worth checking out... It seems to be a buyer's market right now, so shop around and ask for discounts.

No green book with this bike but still a good price if op wants the hassle of getting it registered.

Oooops, I missed that, well that explains the good price, and in that case not recommended ;)

Is that a clue Richard that Honda will very shortly be selling litre bikes etc?

Yes, you could see it like that, if I needed to guess I would say around thanksgiving

The budget I will be on is around 350-400K for a second hand bike... Could be more if it was a new bike...

I am worried that the R1 would be too small, but c'mon, that is sex on wheels, is it not??

I have never owned a "chopper" and I am worried about getting one, seeing that I do like my speed...

There is no immediate need to go out and find a bike, I have plenty of time to look...

The bank is a private person and no interest, the bike will be paid in full and that is it...

Still not sure on what type of bike, but if thanksgiving is a time of 1000cc honda bikes, I can easily wait...

On the other side, I have yet to sit on the ER6N, but if it is supernice for me to sit on, I might go with that, since it is so cheap!

But I am afraid I will not fit on it... Height, not weight!

Edited by snowflake

On the other side, I have yet to sit on the ER6N, but if it is supernice for me to sit on, I might go with that, since it is so cheap!

But I am afraid I will not fit on it...

Then how about wait a month or two and see if the rumours about the Kawasaki Versys being released here are true. Many Kawasaki dealers have been telling their customers that they heard it will be available at the end of this year and at 280k-300k baht for a new bike with green book and 2yr warranty an absolute bargain too! For a large chap like yourself it could be the perfect bike.

The budget I will be on is around 350-400K for a second hand bike... Could be more if it was a new bike...

I am worried that the R1 would be too small, but c'mon, that is sex on wheels, is it not??

I have never owned a "chopper" and I am worried about getting one, seeing that I do like my speed...

There is no immediate need to go out and find a bike, I have plenty of time to look...

The bank is a private person and no interest, the bike will be paid in full and that is it...

Still not sure on what type of bike, but if thanksgiving is a time of 1000cc honda bikes, I can easily wait...

I would go try em all to convince yourself but a big guy and someone who likes a bit speed you'd love the Blackbird, Hayabusa even more crazy. :ph34r:

Out and out Sportsbike got to be the GSXR 1000 still quite a big bike, Kawasaki you already know off.

A 1000cc Honda on the Horizon probably too small for you if it's a sportsbike. :whistling:

I do love the Hayabusa, but they are just too expensive to run... New tires every month :-) (I have never understood how some people can buy a Hayabusa/Gsxr/zx12r and ride slowly!!!

How is the whole "chopper" feeling? I like watching them, and the speed would be safer, but I am not sure I would be happy riding one!!!

Problems problems problems what to choose..

I do love the Hayabusa, but they are just too expensive to run... New tires every month :-) (I have never understood how some people can buy a Hayabusa/Gsxr/zx12r and ride slowly!!!

How is the whole "chopper" feeling? I like watching them, and the speed would be safer, but I am not sure I would be happy riding one!!!

Choppers ?? in one word I hate them but everyone has there different tastes in motorcycles and what they like and that alone can get into a load of mud slinging on here which is fun sometimes. :annoyed:

I just think like me if you like the modern sportsbike the choppers are so different in handling but as I said before try them out you may like em !! :D

My son in Uk has just bought a pristine GSXR750 blk / matt blk, I said I would be probably getting another bike for when he comes over for long stay.

He said to me want ever you get make sure it's not one of those fag bike they have over there, I don't quite know what he means. :whistling:

Hi snowflake..maybe a new (or second hand) Triumph could be an option? here the pricelist with finance options: http://www.britbike.co.th/product-en-656744-2010+Triumph+Price+list.html

and here the models : http://www.britbike.co.th/product-th-611543-Triumph+%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88.html

i like that Street TripleR most but the Daytona 675 , sprint 1050 & the Tiger 1050 i find nice too...i am very fond of the triple engines.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Past 12 months I have been riding kwaker Ninja 650R, but I used to have a 2005 Honda VTX 1800cc Vtwin cruiser/chopper in LOS.

Cruisers are nice on open roads at max 120 kmh, even the +100hp VTX 1800 is good for more than 200kmh, its very windy at that speed and you are not really in control of a bike with such seating/riding position. What i really like about large Vtwins is the huge amount of tourque at low revs.

Ninja 650R is simply much more fun. Handling, brakes and acceleration is a thrill compared to any size cruiser. In addition its the most inexpensive big biking you can do in LOS. Price of bike due to lack of importduty, insurance, service and spareparts. Incredibly cheap:)

In general a cruiser is more suited for fat people (like myself, I am 105 kg/180 cm), but seating position can be rather low making it needed with highway pegs to be able to stretch your legs. Safer speed? hmmm, Ninja safer brakes:D and ABS

You realy should try the seatingposition on a Ninja 650R to see if it suits you. Welcome to Kata, Phuket if you would like to try:)

If you want a bike with good performance - rider and passenger comfort then my first pick would be a Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird, it is a fantastic all rounder and for long journies won't break your wrists, a good one can be bought for about 230k baht, there are a few variants of this bike that are equally as good.