Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

An Australian journalist tested rode the CBR250 at Bira. His report here

http://www.bikesales...a-cbr250r-22472

Interesting he said he got an indicated 140kph at the Bira straight. Found an old thread about ninja 250 with Area-P exhaust which also hit 140kph there. Looks like the extra torque of the CBR can keep it with the Ninja, at least up to 140?

Ninja thread here http://www.thaivisa....11#entry2447611

Thanks; I had forgotten about that old thread. I ran the numbers for the gearing of the CBR 250R and it looks as though actually through the lower gears it will more than give the Ninja a run for its money; top speed in the lower gears is less because they're set up more for acceleration, but the top gears are actually quite a bit higher (for instance 6th is nearly exactly the same as the redline difference between the two bikes). Bard's bike was upgraded; I don't remember him ever running it on a dyno so I can't say how much of a difference it made, but it seems likely that the stock CBR is a match for the stock Ninja based on what's out there to read so far.

Seems like in the range where most of us actually use the bikes with the torque and gearing available will be a good bike.... for its size.

I read somewhere (I think) that the gears are set up to be easily interchangeable, so for track or other use can swap gears to suit???

Im sure it wont be too far into next year when some mod shops will have new performance parts available.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Australian journalist tested rode the CBR250 at Bira. His report here

http://www.bikesales...a-cbr250r-22472

Interesting he said he got an indicated 140kph at the Bira straight. Found an old thread about ninja 250 with Area-P exhaust which also hit 140kph there. Looks like the extra torque of the CBR can keep it with the Ninja, at least up to 140?

Ninja thread here http://www.thaivisa....11#entry2447611

Thanks; I had forgotten about that old thread. I ran the numbers for the gearing of the CBR 250R and it looks as though actually through the lower gears it will more than give the Ninja a run for its money; top speed in the lower gears is less because they're set up more for acceleration, but the top gears are actually quite a bit higher (for instance 6th is nearly exactly the same as the redline difference between the two bikes). Bard's bike was upgraded; I don't remember him ever running it on a dyno so I can't say how much of a difference it made, but it seems likely that the stock CBR is a match for the stock Ninja based on what's out there to read so far.

Well Dave, from reading your posts over the last few years you seem to be the man for this kind of calculation, beyond me though. If what you say turns out to be correct then the CBR is a winner on price alone if similar performances. Thanks for taking the time to run the numbers.

Well Dave, from reading your posts over the last few years you seem to be the man for this kind of calculation, beyond me though. If what you say turns out to be correct then the CBR is a winner on price alone if similar performances. Thanks for taking the time to run the numbers.

You give me too much credit; the math is fairly simple in that you multiply the primary, final, and gear ratios. Then pick an arbitrary RPM point and take the results of your last calculations from there for a quick multiplication. For instance if you end up with 7.34 total ratio in 6th for the CBR, and 8.47 for the Ninja, the Ninja will be spinning 13.3% faster than the CBR at the same rear wheel rotational speed. Assuming equal tyres (they both roll on the same diameter rims), the other way of looking at it is that the CBR will be 13.3% faster at the same RPM in 6th.

The fun part then lies in what tyres they're running; it appears that technically the CBR should be just able to break 170 with its stock tyres; the actual fact will probably be looking at just under 160 actual, which means that with the typical +8% optimistic speedo reading you'd probably see ~173 indicated...

You give me too much credit; the math is fairly simple in that you multiply the primary, final, and gear ratios. Then pick an arbitrary RPM point and take the results of your last calculations from there for a quick multiplication. For instance if you end up with 7.34 total ratio in 6th for the CBR, and 8.47 for the Ninja, the Ninja will be spinning 13.3% faster than the CBR at the same rear wheel rotational speed. Assuming equal tyres (they both roll on the same diameter rims), the other way of looking at it is that the CBR will be 13.3% faster at the same RPM in 6th.

The fun part then lies in what tyres they're running; it appears that technically the CBR should be just able to break 170 with its stock tyres; the actual fact will probably be looking at just under 160 actual, which means that with the typical +8% optimistic speedo reading you'd probably see ~173 indicated...

Simple really! :cheesy: I'll take your word for it.

I didn't even get into the fact that this is highly theoretical; the flex of the tyres changes the top speed, as does the weight of the rider (simply because it makes the tyres 'squat' more)....

But I stand by assertion that top speed will be at least as fast as the Ninja if not a bit more.

Anybody have any more info about release date for the 250.... snowflake....visions...etc......................biggrin.gif

I was told January.....but no date given.

The old ...... When you can see it .....can believe it trick I think. It was due last week but deliveries were stopped due (I believe ) to a technical problem that was discovered at the last moment.

cant even buy a 150 just now, need wait until end of this month before new stocks arrive. Although Im sure could find at other dealers ok.

I didn't even get into the fact that this is highly theoretical; the flex of the tyres changes the top speed, as does the weight of the rider (simply because it makes the tyres 'squat' more)....

But I stand by assertion that top speed will be at least as fast as the Ninja if not a bit more.

And don't forget aerodynamics :)

Ok.snowflake took you advice. got the missus to call APe Honda (APe is their new name as they are a bunch of monkeys)

And she was told. non-abs end of November 100,000b and abs end of December.

up to your dealer IF they will take deposits or not. also strangely it is up to your dealer on finance etc

I know it's not much different than what we know already.

But then there IS a reason why they are APebiggrin.gif

Are the new bikes on IRC's?

What are the best replacements in those factory tyres? (Did I miss this?)

One rumor had it that electronic emissions interfered with Sat-phones. Far as I'm concerned, let them do it. But what if the reverse is true? Oops. Gives credence, though, to the thought that the non-ABS models could be released sooner.

Our big dealer here in CM has had the sales people say, "Next month." But they haven't any idea when. On the other hand, they have heard of it now and have a story ready, and did I want a CBR150? - they have a red, whit, and blue model.

Are the new bikes on IRC's?

What are the best replacements in those factory tyres? (Did I miss this?)

One rumor had it that electronic emissions interfered with Sat-phones. Far as I'm concerned, let them do it. But what if the reverse is true? Oops. Gives credence, though, to the thought that the non-ABS models could be released sooner.

Our big dealer here in CM has had the sales people say, "Next month." But they haven't any idea when. On the other hand, they have heard of it now and have a story ready, and did I want a CBR150? - they have a red, whit, and blue model.

Supposedly they're the same-same as the Ninja's.

I followed bigbikebkk's advice and got the Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsas...absolutely heads and shoulders above the stockers. On their inagural trip they didn't even hint at slippage; and we rode through some pretty gnarly stuff; mud, rain slicked roads, etc.

Supposedly the life of them is only ~8000 km or so, and priced at 9000 THB for the set they are a bit expensive for that distance, but I won't use my bike as much as other board members so that's not a big concern of mine...YMMV.

yes they are the same model as the Ninja BUT the rear is a 140 compared to the Ninja's 130. probably not make MUCH of a difference but with the ABS as well they may be alright for commuting. then if you have a couple of day road trip into the twisty's change to softer rubber..biggrin.gif

Another 250 Vid to watch.

Pretty timid riding at Bira

Looks great... this will be a great little bike no doubt. More a modern and improved version of the 150 than a scaled down racing bike. 50kpl would be incredible, that's as good as my 125cc Wave-i?!

Thought I was seeing things when one of the guys on the video got the front wheel up a bit.

Nearly impossible on the 150.

looks like no pompem, see 20sec (even its possible with the old cbr150 depends on driver and a smaller front sprocket)

And she was told. non-abs end of November 100,000b and abs end of December.

Unfortunately, as is the custom, fair chance this was someone saying the first thing that came into their head in order to finish the conversation where they didn't know the answer.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

Anybody have any more info about release date for the 250.... snowflake....visions...etc......................biggrin.gif

Official Honda announcments:

Early Spring - Australia and India.

Thailand: None. :(

Do you have a source or link for that official announcement?

Believe it's linked earlier in this thread.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

Must be me because i have never seen it that its NOT going to be available here in Thailand. Rather the contrary . The Aus report gave a Thai price. The Thai newspaper gave a thai price. my missus has rang 2 different sections at APe Honda. both confirmed they are coming and the price. (no date yet) but then they didn't for the 150 either. Numerous dealers have had press releases about it.. Honda even had a roadshow seminar here in Thailand why the hel_l would they do that IF it was NOT being released here.

I think that unless you have it in writing from Honda that the CBR250 is NOT coming to Thailand...........its probably better to shut up.. what do you think? :D

Believe it's linked earlier in this thread.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

Must be me because i have never seen it that its NOT going to be available here in Thailand. Rather the contrary . The Aus report gave a Thai price. The Thai newspaper gave a thai price. my missus has rang 2 different sections at APe Honda. both confirmed they are coming and the price. (no date yet) but then they didn't for the 150 either. Numerous dealers have had press releases about it.. Honda even had a roadshow seminar here in Thailand why the hel_l would they do that IF it was NOT being released here.

I think that unless you have it in writing from Honda that the CBR250 is NOT coming to Thailand...........its probably better to shut up.. what do you think? :D

Yep, even snowflake has had his rear end on one ;) Nowhere does it say it won't be released here and I've also been given prices from Honda main dealer.

Was supposed to go last Sat and test drive the new 150, but Thurs nite was rushed to the hospital and spent about 12 hours in ICU before being moved to a regular room. Finally got out yesterday and took the wife and went straight to Honda showroom here in C.M. Only 150 on display was the tri-color, but the black was back in the service area, so we went and looked at that, and then her cousin said they had a red one that was back in receiving that had just come in, so we went back there and took a look it.

Cousin, along with another man higher up the chain of command, said the 250's will be here next month. Me and wife went to sit and talk, and decided on the 150 tri-color and ordered that. It will be here in 2 weeks, which is fine. My reasons for taking the 150 over the 250 are simple. While half my driving is on the highways, living 18k east of the city, the other half is in the city, and I feel that in city traffic the 150 will be easier to maneuver than the 250. While on the highway the 250 would obviously be faster, if the new 150 will cruse at 115-120 for longer trips, then that's all I really need. And with the larger tires and little extra weight, it should be more stable at those speeds. They told me the new 150 is faster than the old one, and much better at high speeds, and said I could take one out and test it myself, but after 4 days in the hospital I didn't think that was a good idea and told them I'd be back later to do that.

As for the color, the red is definitely out as far as my wife is concerned. While she loves it, she is adamant about the fact that red cars and red motorbikes are "bad luck" for me according to her Buddhist beliefs. And while black is good, she thinks it looks "too mean", and doesn't really "stand out" the way the tri color one does. And I admit, I like the paint scheme of the tri color, except for the blue front finder, which I'll have repainted white at a good shop I know. I think that will look better.

Depending on how I feel later today, I may go back and take the 150 out for a test drive. But it would be interesting to hear from those who have already purchased one as to their opinions on it. Also, for those of you wanting a "chopper" type bike, they have two very nice Honda Steeds sitting just inside the showroom doors.

Was wondering why we hadn't heard back from you J1V. Hope you've made a full recovery.

I've just got back from dropping my truck off at Toyota for a service which happens to be right next door to the areas largest Honda dealer. Went in to ask if they'll take my current cbr150 in part ex against a new one. Part ex, no problem, but before I could even mention the 250 he suggested I wait until December 10 as the first cbr250 will be delivered then ;)

My experience in speaking with those at Honda regarding the 250 mirrors those that have already posted. Honda came through Khon Kaen this past weekend with some sort of traveling show where you could test drive any number of bikes (no 250) around a small course. When asked about the 250, I was taken to speak with a group of Honda guys from Bangkok who told me it would be out next month.

One of the other things the guy at Honda showroom told me, via my wife, is that a lot of things are interchangeable between the new 150 and 250. The new 150 windscreen looks about the same size as the old one, and I want to see if the 250 is larger. If so, I'll probably do a "swap" to cut down on wind resistance when doing 100k+.

JUDAS....thanks for the concern. Yeah, I'm ok. Turns out it wasn't anything too serious. But now have peptic ulcer and acid reflux (which was what was causing the intense burning sensations in my chest, throat and upper arms.) Both are treatable. Besides, my mother once said that if only the good die young, I'll out live Methuselah.

Another factor I had to take into consideration when deciding to buy the 150 instead of waiting for the 250 is my age. Ok, while most who try to guess my age are way off the mark (thank you Mother Nature), the truth is that I'll be 62 in 7 weeks, and my "need for speed" isn't as important as it was 10-15 years ago. So, while the 150 isn't going to be as fast as the 250, that's fine, as it will still do what I want, and suits my needs. But will, more than likely, change the tires from IRC's to Michelin or Dunlaps. Anyone know where I can do that here in Chiang Mai?

One of the other things the guy at Honda showroom told me, via my wife, is that a lot of things are interchangeable between the new 150 and 250. The new 150 windscreen looks about the same size as the old one, and I want to see if the 250 is larger. If so, I'll probably do a "swap" to cut down on wind resistance when doing 100k+.

JUDAS....thanks for the concern. Yeah, I'm ok. Turns out it wasn't anything too serious. But now have peptic ulcer and acid reflux (which was what was causing the intense burning sensations in my chest, throat and upper arms.) Both are treatable. Besides, my mother once said that if only the good die young, I'll out live Methuselah.

Another factor I had to take into consideration when deciding to buy the 150 instead of waiting for the 250 is my age. Ok, while most who try to guess my age are way off the mark (thank you Mother Nature), the truth is that I'll be 62 in 7 weeks, and my "need for speed" isn't as important as it was 10-15 years ago. So, while the 150 isn't going to be as fast as the 250, that's fine, as it will still do what I want, and suits my needs. But will, more than likely, change the tires from IRC's to Michelin or Dunlaps. Anyone know where I can do that here in Chiang Mai?

I know how you feel about the need for speed as I ride a Phantom but I am still thinking hard about the 250.

I would have thought that you would perhaps still have that need for speed as a mere lad of 62 whilst I as an old man of 66 still need training wheels sometimes. :)

I know how you feel about the need for speed as I ride a Phantom but I am still thinking hard about the 250.

I would have thought that you would perhaps still have that need for speed as a mere lad of 62 whilst I as an old man of 66 still need training wheels sometimes. :)

Mmmm so where does that leave me....considerably older than both of u guys!! Although I dont often admit to that, maybe lucky nature has smiled my way also. My philosophy is think and act young and active to stay young.

Im definitely on for a CBR250 ......but seriously looking at a Yammy YZF6R also, but I will never use that to its full potential for sure.