Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

The new Honda C-ABS is a much more advanced set up than what is fitted to the ER6N, working on front and rear at a level not even an experienced rider can duplicate. Not sure how you can compare the new CBR with a Tiger Boxer, It has a more advanced technoligy suspension than the Ninja, Proven superior Frame, An engine that is latest design, suited for todays motoring conditions, More modern than the Ninja in fact. Not a 30 year old air cooled low HP effort. Tank size....Maybe because it burns that much less per KM so doesnt need a big bulky tank? Honda globaly have a substantialy larger market share than any other manufacturer. You can be sure the new CBR 250 will be positioned to enhance that, not detract from it. As I mentioned on a previous post, untill we see a head to full head test, any speculation on comparision, other than obvious facts as we can be sure of currently, is mere conjecture.
While it's true that Honda's C-ABS is more advanced than the more "old school" ABS on the Kwackers, that doesn't necessarily translate into "better" as far as actual braking performance. I haven't seen any tests that show C-ABS will stop faster than standard ABS. C-ABS is simply smoother in its application and feedback to the rider. I would love to see some tests pitting Honda's C-ABS against "standard" ABS to see how the two compare. Just curious, but how is the CBR 250 suspension "more advanced technology" than the Ninja 250R? (Or even the Tiger Boxer 250RS for that matter which boasts surprisingly high end suspension for a "budget" bike.) "Proven superior frame"? Proven by whom? Isn't the CBR250 a new frame? While I'm sure it will be of typical outstanding Honda quality I don't think it's been tested or proven yet... Engine more modern than the Ninja 250R? My take on it is that they put in a single to cut costs at the expense of performance. Had Honda put in a twin, like the VTR 250 engine, for example, then this CBR 250 could give the Ninja 250R a run for its money. Instead Honda went with a single to cut costs... Too bad. What do you imagine the rear wheel Hp and redline will be on this single? If I remember correctly my old Ninja 250R redlined around 13500 RPM! From what I've read so far fuel efficiency of the new CBR250 and the Nina 250R are about the same. This means the Ninjette will have a much longer range than the CBR thanks to the larger tank. Personally I prefer a larger tank and more range. That's one of the reasons I'm trading my Ninja 650R for a Versys. We'll have to wait until this new CBR 250 goes on sale and gets thouroughly tested before we jump to any conclusions, but from what we know of it so far, I'd say it will fall right between the Tiger Boxer 250RS and the Kawasaki Ninja 250R in terms of price and performance. Ride On! Tony
+1 The Boxer 250RS is not a sportsbike which makes it ok to be a thumper IMO, the Ninja 250R is a smooth & sporty inline twin ....the CBR250R should be a sporty thumper?Sounds a bit strange actually, but how that resolves in real we will know more when some knowledgeable Bikers will actually test the Bike thoroughly.Maybe we underestimate the possibilities of thumper sportbikes?? Who knows? In any case it is good to have a wider variety of bikes available now. APe Honda hopefully brings a bit more than just these 2 Cbr's mbox

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, today is supposed to be the "Big Day" in BKK for Honda. Hopefully those who go will get plenty of photos, along with brochures or other printed info to give us the facts. I look for the bikes to be in the showrooms come Monday. May already be at dealers, but just "hiding in the back" for now. lol

according to the specs yes they can do e20.

I for one am disappointed that this 2011 cbr250 is a single having owned an MC19 CBR250 

(the real cbr250 that had 45hp, 4 cylinders and a 19,000 rpm redline)

But i'm happy that at least we get more choice and that hopefully it's at a lower cost.

Today is the day AP Honda will show it to the press and public. The bike is a dissapointment with little power and also heavy. No adjustabilities and a heavy steel frame. Budget bike with absolutely no interest to a +60 kg rider. Cough up 60 k more and get yourself a CBR600RR 2004-2005 in very good condition and you could not have spent your money better.

For the ones that only has 150.000 to spend on a bike and dream about biking and only think new bikes are good, I feel sorry for you,

If a bike like this makes you happy I belive your not much of a biker. It falls beetwen a scooter and a big bike and is useless. Nothing more than a CBR 150 but heavy as a big bike. Take your gf on the bike and you ll have to rev that sinlge up to the heavens to make it go.

It should have been a twin with 45 hp..

Today is the day AP Honda will show it to the press and public. The bike is a dissapointment with little power and also heavy. No adjustabilities and a heavy steel frame. Budget bike with absolutely no interest to a +60 kg rider. Cough up 60 k more and get yourself a CBR600RR 2004-2005 in very good condition and you could not have spent your money better.

For the ones that only has 150.000 to spend on a bike and dream about biking and only think new bikes are good, I feel sorry for you,

If a bike like this makes you happy I belive your not much of a biker. It falls beetwen a scooter and a big bike and is useless. Nothing more than a CBR 150 but heavy as a big bike. Take your gf on the bike and you ll have to rev that sinlge up to the heavens to make it go.

It all depends on what you ride and where you live.

Why does having a big bike make you more of a biker?

I would feel stupid driving down to the local village on a CBR600RR and it would be a total waste of money for me. It is probably fine IF you have the money to spend and IF you live in a big city with a first class dealer and skilled techs.

Unfortunately not every body does nor do all Thais wants something that big even if they could afford one.

I doubt that it is as heavy as a CBR600RR.

Honda sells its motorbikes worldwide and has to cater for that market and not just a few people who want a big bike.

I suspect that they spent a long time researching the sales markets before coming up with the CBR250.

As for me, I am a fat old farang who is retired and bumbles around on a 200cc Honda Phantom and is quite happy to do so.

From the tone of your post you seem to be a lot younger than me.

I would feel stupid driving down to the local village on a CBR600RR and it would be a total waste of money for me. It is probably fine IF you have the money to spend and IF you live in a big city with a first class dealer and skilled techs.

Unfortunately not every body does nor do all Thais wants something that big even if they could afford one.

Honda sells its motorbikes worldwide and has to cater for that market and not just a few people who want a big bike.

I suspect that they spent a long time researching the sales markets before coming up with the CBR250.

As for me, I am a fat old farang who is retired and bumbles around on a 200cc Honda Phantom and is quite happy to do so.

From a bikers point of view this bike is a pile of shit and your defiantely wrong about the weight. The CBR600RR is a true R machine in the 600 class and which deserves to use the R capitals as a statement and it weighs in at 168 kg dry weight and has 105 hp.

The 250.. 160 kg and 26 hp, you gotta be fuc_king kidding me to call this a bike! And just because they released the 250 here in Thailand that are meant mostly for export and it doesnt make it a great bike. This is a bike for 17-18 year old people and what they would have for about a year preparing for something like a 600 cc.

There is no definition about who is a biker in terms of cc but I guees you ll get some odd looks and comments if you drive around on a Honda click or a CBR 150 calling you a biker. BIkers are assosiated with bigger bikes and wiht a great passion for their machines, the biker culture and community. And i doubt that if you ever become a member in a big bike club and let the guys there take your CBR250 for a ride and they will say; woow what a great bike, its awsome. No thats never gonna happen .

And living out in villages I would suggest getting a D-tracker or something more suited for areas like that. A D-tracker at least justifies what it is. A CBR 600 doenst need a skilled tech nearby as these bikes never breaks down but are rather famous to last forever with normal roaduse. 100.000 km on a R machine today is no problem without any internal mechanics. The other stuff any thai tech mech can do.

From a bikers point of view this bike is a pile of shit and your defiantely wrong about the weight. The CBR600RR is a true R machine in the 600 class and which deserves to use the R capitals as a statement and it weighs in at 168 kg dry weight and has 105 hp.

The 250.. 160 kg and 26 hp, you gotta be fuc_king kidding me to call this a bike! And just because they released the 250 here in Thailand that are meant mostly for export and it doesnt make it a great bike. This is a bike for 17-18 year old people and what they would have for about a year preparing for something like a 600 cc.

There is no definition about who is a biker in terms of cc but I guees you ll get some odd looks and comments if you drive around on a Honda click or a CBR 150 calling you a biker. BIkers are assosiated with bigger bikes and wiht a great passion for their machines, the biker culture and community. And i doubt that if you ever become a member in a big bike club and let the guys there take your CBR250 for a ride and they will say; woow what a great bike, its awsome. No thats never gonna happen .

And living out in villages I would suggest getting a D-tracker or something more suited for areas like that. A D-tracker at least justifies what it is. A CBR 600 doenst need a skilled tech nearby as these bikes never breaks down but are rather famous to last forever with normal roaduse. 100.000 km on a R machine today is no problem without any internal mechanics. The other stuff any thai tech mech can do.

Do you actually live here. Or are you spouting this shit from across the globe!. yes the bike is a disappointment but at least it is ANOTHER bigger bike that is available. there are not that many CBR600 2003-5 in Thailand AND CERTAINLY NOT FOR 160,000b NOT IF YOU WANT IT LEGAL WITH A GREEN BOOK . Different bikes for different strokes thats what it boils down to.

as for the bit highlighted if any bike has been in Thailand for some time then its a good bet its NEVER seen a SKILLED mechanic. Thats why you have to find one or do the work yourself because of the bodge ups.

also when you talk about the weight the 250 is curb weight so wet not dry (adds about 10-15kg's)

A fuc_king biker is anyone that rides a bike with a clutch. jeeze next it will be who's is bigger eh

Talked to a Thai CBR150 rider today and he showed me a Thai newspaper article about the CBR250R... not sure which newspaper, but today's edition.

I don't read Thai but I could see the number, theThai guy said it's the price... wait for it...

100,000 Baht!!!

Well Guys ...The bikes look fantastic. Both the 150 and 250. Much better live than in the pics we have seen. Definately Honda as far as style goes, and of course guys that prefer "other brands" will probably disagree with me.

Look quite simply classy and not flashy. I got my bum on a 250 and it felt good, certainly felt much bigger than the old 150. I didnt try the 150 but I suspect that also would feel bigger.

Both bikes are completely different design/engineered (opposite to what I was thinking before seeing them) Both look very similar but in fact there are differences, even the headlights are different although you need look to see the differences.

The wider rims are a huge improvement.

The colour schemes look better in real too. and of course personal opinion applies as to what rocks ur boat.

The screens altho bigger than the old 150 are still not big but there is a bigger aftermarket alternative that will suit the wind shy riders.

All in all it looks a smaller edition of a bigger bike, I guess similar as the Ninja 250 does to the 650 faired bikes.

The big dissapointment for me was that there were no Honda people available to talk about the bike pricing availability etc not that I could find anyway.

What realy rocked my boat tho was a Mugen colour version and even more eye catching, a Moriwaki coloured version with machined slotted lightened bar header and a few other mods, plus both had aftermarket pipes and cans. and wearing up market semi slicks wow looked really nice.

The old CBR 150 was a market leader in its class, I see no reason why the new version shouldnt carry on in the same way.

The 250........yes many will be dissapointed its a single cyl but Honda market to a global population where in their opinion they have produced what the market wants.

If you want a more powerful bike u will need look to a Kwaker 650 or CBR 600 or whatever, but here in Thailand you are talking substantially different numbers unless you buy an older model with all the consequences that can bring. (But that is for a different post subject)

I think there will be quickly an aftermarket performance supply for these bikes as I think (despite what some critics say) it will become the biggest selling sport bike in Thailand.

The MOTOGP3 bikes are 250 singles........I know they will produce far in excess of what the new cbr250 puts out but not have the durability that is demanded by consumers these days. For sport enthusists......playing with mods to the level they choose will be an option.

If you want a more powerful bike u will need look to a Kwaker 650 or CBR 600 or whatever

You forgot the Ninja 250R... The Ninjette (and I suppose the Tiger Boxer 250RS) are really the only competition at 250cc here in Thailand. The Ninja is more expensive and more powerful, the Tiger Boxer is cheaper and less powerful (and really isn't a sport bike so not sure if it's fair to compare the Tiger Boxer 250RS to the Ninja 250R and CBR250...)

The more choices the better!

So, who on this forum will be the first to take home a CBR250 and give us a good review? :lol:

I'm particularly interested in hearing how the C-ABS works. Never heard of ABS on a bike so small. Will be cool to see how it performs.

Ride On!

Tony

If you want a more powerful bike u will need look to a Kwaker 650 or CBR 600 or whatever

You forgot the Ninja 250R... The Ninjette (and I suppose the Tiger Boxer 250RS) are really the only competition at 250cc here in Thailand. The Ninja is more expensive and more powerful, the Tiger Boxer is cheaper and less powerful (and really isn't a sport bike so not sure if it's fair to compare the Tiger Boxer 250RS to the Ninja 250R and CBR250...)

So, who on this forum will be the first to take home a CBR250 and give us a good review? :lol:

I'm particularly interested in hearing how the C-ABS works. Never heard of ABS on a bike so small. Will be cool to see how it performs.

Ride On!

Tony

Didn't JRD have "some kind" of ABS on their scooters?

Ride On!

Tony

It is no more fair to compare the Boxer than it would be to compare an Ninja 650 to a ZX-6R....

I'm super interested in the ABS (wish it wasn't combined though; I'm not sure but I think that having the rear no attached to the front, or perhaps a way to disengage it, would be better in twisty riding), and rumour is that there's a certain thaicbr who was pining for the bike---right?

None-the-less, if there is a forum member who gets one, we can provide a ThaiVisa shoot out with the CBR 250, the Ninja 250, and the old model CBR 150 (both the last provided by me).

Ride On!

Tony

Tony, I didnt forget about the Ninjette, I cant see how there will be any appreciable difference in performance between those 2, One will possibly be better low down, the other at the top end...who knows untill a direct test is done. Roll on for that, sure to happen soon.

What I was really refering to was the earlier post talking about the CBR 600 as a real sport bike, but that is a gigantic leap up, so cannot really be considered as compitition.

Cant even compare the ER6F with a CBR 600.

I was very surprised that there was virtually NO info available about the new bikes and no one to talk to. They were drawing a big crowd looking and admiring.

But everyone was there for a "Fun Day" and enjoying the entertainment, Big Big crowd Ive no idea on numbers but I would suggest total about 100,000. Must have cost Honda many many Millions!!

I told my dealer I want pricing and deleivery dates to place an order....... but I am waiting on some $ to arrive from overseas before I can put one in my parking slot. Maybe in the next 2 weeks or so. So depends on which arrives first I guess as to when I get one, (which I intend)

I am willing to let a select few have a ride if they want. I suspect getting one out of a showroonm for a real test ride will be impossible. I do think they will sell like hot cakes (for a sport bike)

umm i thought it was 33hp limit hence the 33hp that people think the ninja has. :D

Is that the same people who though that the Thai version was unrestricted compared to the rest of the world?

And perhaps it does have 33 bhp...at the crankpin. I actually think that the two bikes could be really similar in power. The video posted seems to suggest a bike that is extremely rev-happy and yet strangely doesn't have all that high of a redline..don't know how that's going to work out.

Visons....Thanks for the info, although I'm sure we're all wishing there could have been printed info and people to talk to that you could have added, but we'll just have to wait a few more days for that.

My feeling is that the bikes will be in some showrooms Monday in the BKK area, and by the end of the week for here in CM. I'll probably have to check both dealers here to get a fuller range of colors, but that's no big deal. From the pics that were posted of the various colors earlier in this thread, I've pretty much decided which ones I like for both the 150 and 250, but will wait for them both to arrive so I can get a real "eyeball" in person.

This being Thailand, where "who" you know is often more important than "what" you know, I may be able to actually get to test drive both models before making up my mind, thanks to my wife having a cousin who works at one of the dealers here.

I'm probably looking at the 15th before I can buy either one, but if I do get the 250, which I probably will, I may take Dave_Boo up on his offer, after the bike is broke in first, if no one else has already done so.

:lol:

I've been following threads over the past several months in regards to this new Honda release. This forum has been a great source of info (and speculation). I'm in Bangkok for the weekend and will probably try to stop by a dealership on Monday to see what information I can dig up about pricing, etc. My question to ya'll is.. if you had a choice of one Honda dealer to visit in Bangkok, which would it be and where (generally) is it? Is there a "main" dealer? Thanks in advance.

Then I wouldnt see you as really its target market either.. Not a dig just a fact..

I think its hard not to argue they are marketing it as a sportbike, yet its under powered and heavy..

People should ride what they want, but 150k for a faux sportbike, maybe go for the real thing.

Ride On!

Tony

Didn't JRD have "some kind" of ABS on their scooters?

Well the brakes werent strong enough to lock the wheels :rolleyes: if thats what you mean !! :D

Visons....Thanks for the info, although I'm sure we're all wishing there could have been printed info and people to talk to that you could have added, but we'll just have to wait a few more days for that.

My feeling is that the bikes will be in some showrooms Monday in the BKK area, and by the end of the week for here in CM. I'll probably have to check both dealers here to get a fuller range of colors, but that's no big deal. From the pics that were posted of the various colors earlier in this thread, I've pretty much decided which ones I like for both the 150 and 250, but will wait for them both to arrive so I can get a real "eyeball" in person.

This being Thailand, where "who" you know is often more important than "what" you know, I may be able to actually get to test drive both models before making up my mind, thanks to my wife having a cousin who works at one of the dealers here.

I'm probably looking at the 15th before I can buy either one, but if I do get the 250, which I probably will, I may take Dave_Boo up on his offer, after the bike is broke in first, if no one else has already done so.

:lol:

There was a 2 tone metalic silver/grey one there...looked really nice..sophisticated, and probably my choice if I dont go the Moriwaki version (due to pricing.)

I am actually buying a Yammy YZF6 very soon (would be a Honda except they dont sell them here) but want the Honda 250 for shorter city trips and commuting to work.

Why Im not too concerned about the power. I know it will be way ahead of my 150 in mid range which suits me and deliver all I need for commuting. In fact a bigger bike is no faster overall and in places slower than a more traffic nimble bike. Use the bigger bike for longer trips and enjoyment.

A tad off topic but:

JRD = Just Really Dumb

Bought their Snook-D for my son about year & half ago. In 3 months was in for repairs 6 times. Supposed to be a 125cc, but bike wouldn't go over 60kph unless you were going downhill with a strong wind pushing you. Sold it after 5 months. Got him a Yamaha X1R. GREAT little bike. Traded that last month for a Nouvo Elegance. Wife has "customized" Scoopy she loves, so now daddy is just waiting for the CBR'S.

:partytime2:

I think its hard not to argue they are marketing it as a sportbike, yet its under powered and heavy..

People should ride what they want, but 150k for a faux sportbike, maybe go for the real thing.

For those coming off a scooter, or newbie riders, the 250 is a sport bike, and does have adequate power, ......albeit not the same league as a 600 cc pluss. For experienced riders used to bigger bikes, sure , any commercially available 250cc bike is underpowered

I have seen the results of inexperienced people riding a big sportbike.......not a pleasant sight. I am not allowed to post the pics of the scattered body parts on here

On my 50km commute with a mix of city and open roads, there are cars that go whizzing past me at 150kph compared to my 100. But after 50km I am there first on my little underpowered suedo sport CBR150, so power and speed arent everything to all drivers. I get passed by the occasional big bike also, but give a litle denser traffic and I am in front again....so much for the big bike.

I have a bigger bike also, CBR but it more than doubles the fuel consumption and gets me to work in the same time.....whats the point??

For open road touring, sure agree 100% a bigger bike is in its element...horses for courses......and how much you want spend. I am also buying as I stated in a previous post a 600 just maybe 1 liter bike.....but for open road use only. For my commute the CBR 250 will be perfect ...for me......and my use. As it will be im sure for the many buyers of the new CBR 250, which Honda will be more than confident of having.

Visions has the right of it, of course.

Nobody in the United States would consider a 250 road bike of any sort anything but a beginner bike, a learner bike, a short-person bike, or a commuter bike. Here in Thailand it will certainly attract many Thais for whom it will represent a new world - moving up, with a clutch, gears (6!) and "great" speed.

Many of our remarks suppose that we're (I mean Westerners here on the forum) under consideration in Honda's marketing schemes, here in this country or this part of the world. Somehow, I doubt it. Honda is thinking of what is being called in some places, Thailand's "emerging middle class" buyers, and that's the aim of their brilliant marketing scheme and the reason for their designs in the small bike market. Just look at all the 110cc's around, or the Scoopy success story. Their success will continue now with 150 and a 250 model, a ladder of success to climb for the young. Pricing for this market explains the single cylinder. (I believe that if they are going to counterbalance a single, they'll do it well, too - just a guess.) These will sell fast, but not because any or many of us want them. To Honda, a baht is a baht. (We may well, as a percent, more frequently opt for ABS.)

The other thing I try to keep in mind is that every bike is a compromise. Every one of us is a different kind of rider with differing experiences and requirements (this week, or for that mission; we change). The bike I love today may seem hateful to you as being wastefully expensive or incredibly slow. Your advice does not help me when you brag that your bike is better than mine. Of course it is, for you.

But to talk about the facts of the bike, how well it operates doing this or that, is the meat of everything here, and that's the marvel of modern communication - and us.

But anyway, anybody who does not sell their bike off and buy a Tiger 250RS is wrong.B) And I'm right.:whistling:

If a bike like this makes you happy I  belive your not much of a biker. It falls beetwen a scooter and a big bike and is useless.  Nothing more than a CBR 150 but heavy as a big bike. Take your gf on the bike and you ll have to rev that sinlge up to the heavens to make it go.

From a bikers point of view this bike is a pile of shit and your defiantely wrong about the weight. The CBR600RR is  a true R machine in the 600 class and which deserves to use the R capitals as a statement and it weighs in at 168 kg dry weight and has 105 hp.

Do you actually live here. Or are you spouting this shit from across the globe!. yes the bike is a disappointment but at least it is ANOTHER bigger bike that is available. there are not that many CBR600 2003-5 in Thailand AND CERTAINLY NOT FOR 160,000b NOT IF YOU WANT IT LEGAL WITH A GREEN BOOK . Different bikes for different strokes thats what it boils down to.

as for the bit highlighted if any bike has been in Thailand for some time then its a good bet its NEVER seen a SKILLED mechanic. Thats why you have to find one or do the work yourself because of the bodge ups.

also when you talk about the weight the 250 is curb weight so wet  not dry (adds about 10-15kg's)

A fuc_king biker is anyone that rides a bike with a clutch. jeeze next it will be who's is bigger eh

Thank you thaicbr for expressing my thoughts in a much better way than I could do myself.

It all boils down to different strokes for different folks.

I have no need for a rocket ship razor blade to blast around the roads of Thailand nor would I buy one just to be associated with a biker club.

Most people buy a bike that they need, that is within their budget and suits them rather than shouting "look at me and my big bike".

That is a sort of poser attitude that won't appeal to the majority of bike owners.

As I remember biker groups come in various sizes including oddly enough a Honda Phantom club as well as monster bikes so there is something for almost everybody if you want to find one.

Anyway happy riding on whatever you ride and whatever club you are in and remember it is better to ride a little slower and arrive safely.

Then I wouldnt see you as really its target market either.. Not a dig just a fact..

I agree I am not a market target and I would prefer the also much talked about but not here VTR250 twin which would suit me more but I will still look at the CBR anyway, just for the hel_l of it.

Archived