Motogp 2011

Miiyai46

Thanks for the great pictures Atmos.

I watched qualifying on tv, Lorenzo is the man. Didn't see the end as the programme was cut just before Casey crossed the line on his last lap.

It's a bit of a strange time to watch the race but I'll be up to watch before I go to work.

Cheers

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Points after Laguna Seca

Stoner 193; Lorenzo 173; Dovizioso 143; Pedrosa 110; Rossi 108; Spies 98; Hayden 94; Edwards 67; Aoyama 63; Simoncelli 60

Edited by Atmos

Points after Laguna Seca

Stoner 193; Lorenzo 173; Dovizioso 143; Pedrosa 110; Rossi 108; Spies 98; Hayden 94; Edwards 67; Aoyama 63; Simoncelli 60

With recent results, can't see that order changing too much, now seems unlikely Rossi can get a 'season podium' as third seems out of reach, his destiny this season seems to be qualifying 10th and finishing 5th-7th.

Next race is the Czech Republic round at Brno on Sunday 14th August.

one change to the field - John Hopkins - he's everywhere - BSB, WSB and MotoGP

hopkins_0_preview_169.jpg

John Hopkins will race for the Rizla Suzuki MotoGP team in the Czech Republic round of the MotoGP World Championship at Brno on Sunday 14th August.

Hopkins is currently in second place in the British Superbike championship onboard a Suzuki GSX-R1000 with the Samsung Crescent Racing team. His next event is at Silverstone in England, when he gets a taste of World Championship motorcycle racing as he competes in the WSB series on Sunday 29th July.

Edited by Atmos

no Lorenzo, no Stoner - if it does go ahead, disappointing for the fans

MotoGP race in Japan will be held in October, says FIM

Monday, 25 July 2011

The Japanese MotoGP is set to go ahead in October despite leading riders refusing to go.

The International Motorcycling Federation said the race at Motegi will be held after receiving an encouraging preliminary report.

It follows the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear emergency that struck the country in March.

The preliminary overview of the report claims that "the radiation risk during the race event is negligible".

The full report - which looked at radiation levels from a number of sources including air, environment and food - will be published later this week.

In a statement, the FIM confirmed that "based on this information the FIM will announce later this week that, subject to there being no further serious incidents, the Grand Prix of Japan will take place on October 2 as planned".

The Motegi circuit is situated less than 100 miles from the site of the Fukushima nuclear plant, which suffered meltdowns and nuclear leaks in the wake of the devastating magnitude 9.0 quake and subsequent tsunami on 11 March.

Reigning MotoGP world champion Jorge Lorenzo and current series leader Casey Stoner have already stated that they do not intend to take part in October's race, which has been rescheduled from its original date of 24 April.

Edited by Atmos

World Superbikes at Silverstone this weekend, racing tomorrow/Sunday

Two Ducati bikes slotted in at the top of the timesheets following Friday's first qualifying at the new-look Silverstone circuit. On a track that is more suitable on paper to four-cylinder power, points leader Carlos Checa (Althea Racing Ducati) led the way with a time of 2 minutes 05.477 seconds, four-tenths quicker than the surprise of the day, the young Frenchman Maxime Berger (Supersonic Racing Team Ducati). Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) was the first Brit on the provisional grid, taking third place ahead of Leon Camier (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team).

TV coverage (Thai time)

Showing at 17:32 on ESPNSBK Superbike World Championship 2011 Race 1 live from Silverstone, Great Britain.

Showing at 21:32 on STAR SportsSBK Superbike World Championship 2011 Race 2 from Silverstone, Great Britain.

Stoner was a sight to behold as he caught, passed and pulled away from Lorenzo. Awesome.

It was good to watch stoner certainly had the bike set up perfect, like to had seen what would of happened if Lorenzo had of been fit.

Reigning MotoGP world champion Jorge Lorenzo and current series leader Casey Stoner have already stated that they do not intend to take part in October's race, which has been rescheduled from its original date of 24 April.

Both riding Japanese bikes eh !! nice of them, tell them they will get 25 point deduction and see what they do then.

Edited by Kwasaki

Both riding Japanese bikes eh !! nice of them, tell them they will get 25 point deduction and see what they do then.

Agree- except make it 50.

This must be disappointing for Honda and Yamaha management, and the sponsors too (do they get a refund?)

Impact on crowd/ticket sales too

Wonder if 27 and 99 would front-up and race if they had an accident or two beforehand and slipped in the placing.

All in all - bad form I think.

Yamaha cautious on Jorge Lorenzo’s Motegi boycott plan

21 July 2011 09:13 Yamaha has said it is too early to decide what action could be taken against reigning world champion Jorge Lorenzo if he honours his vow not to ride in the Japanese Grand Prix in October.

Lorenzo's refusal to go means he will be in breach of his contract with the Japanese factory. Yamaha management though have said it is too early to understand what might happen if the double 250GP world champion stands by his pledge not to attend the Twin Ring Motegi race.

and

23351_p.jpg

17 Jul 2011 | Repsol Honda rider Stoner and factory Yamaha rider Lorenzo could face the wrath of their Japanese employers after both made it clear that they will not attend the re-scheduled race on October 2.

One Japanese journalist in the press conference then asked Stoner and Lorenzo if they felt carrying stickers conveying messages of support to Japan on their bikes was contradictory given their refusal to attend the event.

Stoner replied: “I don't think it is a contradiction. I believe that supporting someone and being there in the same place is not necessarily the same thing.

full story

John Hopkins is race at Brno at the weekend.

He is impressive, pole position at Silverstone for the WSBK races last week, whilst riding as a wild card !

He races in the BSB series and will be in action at Brands Hatch today, Sunday.

This means over the course of three weekends he races in World Superbikes - British Superbikes - MotoGP !

What a boy !!!!! Go for it Hopper.

electric GP bikes . . . saw coverage of them racing at IOM, and this article from Laguna Seca - huge advances with speed/lap times but still a long way off the MotoGP bikes - Stoner holds the record there with a lap under 1.21.

25 July 2011

072511-rapp-mission-ttxgp-laguna-seca-500x333.jpg

Mission Motors rider Steve Rapp led from start to finish to win the Laguna Seca round of the TTXGP and FIM e-Power championships. The race was significant both because it demonstrated the improvements made in electric motorcycle racing over the last year, but also because it was the first joint event held by the two rival electric racing series.

A veteran AMA racer, Rapp took the holeshot and held off 2010 Laguna Seca e-Power winner Michael Czysz and 2010 runner-up Michael Barnes for the win, completing the 8-lap race in 12:40.597, translating to lap times of about 1:35.1.

Rapp’s result showed the advances made in electric motorcycle racing over the last year. Czysz won last year’s 9-lap race in 16:02.596, which translates to an average lap time of about 1:47.0. Rapp’s fastest lap time in this year’s race was 1:33.194, obliterating Czysz record of 1:44.496 set last year.

Czysz was also able to improve upon his previous lap times, averaging about 1:40.1 on his MotoCzysz E1pc, but still finished about 30 seconds behind Rapp. Czysz beat Barnes with a dramatic pass on the final stretch, crossing the finish line just 0.233 seconds ahead of Barnes’ Lightning motorcycle.

BSB is showing at 9.30pm on Eurosport tonight:

21:30 Superbikes : British Championship in Brands Hatch, United Kingdom - First race.

Then a one-hour highlights show 11.00am Monday 8 August.

Atmos, thanks so much for pointing this out. I,ve just done a programme search to see if I,ve still got EuroSports shown by the TV service provider here in Singapore, and I have !

In fact I could be watching all of the rounds live!!! I just didn't know it.

I,m gutted by missing out on this but at the same time really happy you've pointed it out to me.

I owe you a beer or three for this.....Sepang!

Cheers

the BSB races I've seen this year have been the closest races of any, maybe more risks taken that WSB or MotoGP, and there are plenty of top names in there from the other series.

I found that article on electric bikes while looking for something else (unsuccessful) a few years ago the Discovery Channel did a programme on Michael Czysz and his work on a 990cc Moto GP bike Birth Of A Racer (then they changed rules to 800cc) and I am fairly sure it was John Hopkins who was his test/development rider.

Only problem I've found with Eurosport is that sometimes their tv guide is incorrect, switch on to see something and find out it's another sport altogether. Not happened (yet) with a live event I've wanted to see though. Setanta/Astro SuperSport is the same, often change their schedule across their channels.

I'd be surprised if he's riding Moto 2 in 2012; he's currently 29th, 3rd from last overall.

Feem buoyed by signs of improvement

August 6, 2011

Undeterred by his poor showing in the first half of the season, Thai rider Ratthapark "Feem" Wilairot believes his Moto 2 campaign will take a turn for the better when the contest resumes at the Czech Grand Prix later this month.

The Thai Honda Singha SAG rider has endured a nightmare few months, with his meagre tally of four points from the opening nine races all coming from the Spanish Grand Prix back in April.

The 12th-place finish claimed by the 23-year-old at the Jerez circuit was followed by a barren run that saw him fail to claim any points in the next seven races before the mid-season break. It was a far cry from his exploits last term when Ratthapark had already notched up 25 points by the halfway stage, highlighted by a career-best fourth spot in the Dutch Grand Prix.

Given what Ratthapark came through at the end of last year, when he lost his father to cancer before suffering a career-threatening head injury in a motorbike smash in his hometown Chon Buri, many fans thought the Thai's fifth world championship campaign would be his last.

But despite a wretched run of results, Ratthapark stuck to his job and worked hard on a daily rehabilitation programme during his month-long break after the accident. The Thai also received assurance from his doctor that there was no longer any concern about the condition of his brain.

more

It will be sad to lose a Thai rider in the series but his performance this year is quite dreadful.

I hope he can turn it around before its too late and he has to start this weekend at Brno.

New tyre rules kick in this weekend also:-

"Under the new rules every rider will now have a choice of three (rather than two) compounds of Bridgestone front slicks - an additional soft compound being made available for increased safety in the case of low ambient and track temperature.

Ten rear slick tyres will still be available in two compound options per weekend, but riders can now choose more of the tyre option they prefer, up to a maximum of six of one compound option and four of the other."

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/171958/1/new_motogp_tyre_rules_begin_at_brno.html

read somewhere last year of how important it was for Honda to have a Thai rider in the international competition; huge market here 65 million people, and I think they have a 60-70% share of the small bike market.

Maybe they'll find someone else for 2012 and race them in the new 250 Moto3 class - would be far more relevant to sales as they manufacture and sell the CB250R here.

Race replicas would be popular.

We get the Malaysian Setanta/Astro Supersport channel on cable, recently saw coverage of Malaysian 135cc racing - modified scooters - crazy stuff.

read somewhere last year of how important it was for Honda to have a Thai rider in the international competition; huge market here 65 million people, and I think they have a 60-70% share of the small bike market.

Maybe they'll find someone else for 2012 and race them in the new 250 Moto3 class - would be far more relevant to sales as they manufacture and sell the CB250R here.

Race replicas would be popular.

We get the Malaysian Setanta/Astro Supersport channel on cable, recently saw coverage of Malaysian 135cc racing - modified scooters - crazy stuff.

( quote ) Maybe they'll find someone else for 2012 and race them in the new 250 Moto3 class ( unquote )

I think that's where Ratthapark "Feem" Wilairot should be going. :)

Our man 'Feem' was 18th after the first day's practice, 1.5 sec behind Stefan Bradl.

We saw/spoke to some of his supporters in Sepang last year, spent the M2 race following his progress think he finished 17th or so.

Despite his lack of success he still gets plenty of attention in the Thai media, partner regularly showing me news articles/pics in Thai newspapers and magazines.

Maybe M3 250 would be a good option, esp if they came up with some #14 replica paint jobs on scooters and/or 250s.

what happened next? Feem at Estoril

2111013.GP-Estoril-2011_Ratthapark-Wilairot_Moto2-WM--FTR.jpg

SIC Expects More Thai Spectators At Sepang Motorcycle Grand Prix

By Jamaluddin Muhammad

BANGKOK, Aug 11 (Bernama) -

The Sepang International Circuit Sdn Bhd (SIC) anticipates an increase of 10 per cent in Thai spectators for the Shell Advance Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix in October.

SIC chief executive officer Datuk Razlan Razali said that about 1,500 Thais watched the event last year.

"I believe we can achieve the target with all the promotions and special packages being offered to attract the Thais," he told Bernama here Wednesday night.

Furthermore, Razlan said, the Thais would have the opportunity of watching their ace rider Ratthapark Wilairot in action.

SIC attracted 105,000 spectators for its MotoGP last year, with 70 per cent of them being Malaysians and the rest coming from Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand and Australia, he said.

more

Like you have already said seeing as they now sell 250 Honda's in Thailand I think it would a loss opportunity for Honda Thailand not to put him in this class, has to be a good way to go, taking into consideration the way Thai people like to see someone, Thai, racing at such events.

Watching him ride he does not seem to have the abilility to get with any of the top leaders.

If I managed him I believe he would do very well in this new class, in my opinion.

Hopkins out of Brno Grand Prix

John Hopkins crashed at turn three on his sixth lap in the very wet and slippery conditions, and as he slid into the gravel his right hand sustained an impact causing a break and dislocation of his third finger and fracture of his second finger. He was immediately taken to the medical centre to have x-rays, where the injury was diagnosed and set in traction Hopkins will now return to America to have an operation to repair the injury as he aims to ensure he is fit for the next round of the British Superbike Championship at Cadwell Park later this month.

Rizla Suzuki wishes him a speedy recovery and will update on his progress as more information becomes known.

more

Hopkins out of Brno Grand Prix

John Hopkins crashed at turn three on his sixth lap in the very wet and slippery conditions, and as he slid into the gravel his right hand sustained an impact causing a break and dislocation of his third finger and fracture of his second finger. He was immediately taken to the medical centre to have x-rays, where the injury was diagnosed and set in traction Hopkins will now return to America to have an operation to repair the injury as he aims to ensure he is fit for the next round of the British Superbike Championship at Cadwell Park later this month.

Rizla Suzuki wishes him a speedy recovery and will update on his progress as more information becomes known.

more

dam_n.

I was looking forward to watching Hopeer race.

Get well soon John, Suzuki need you.

SIC Expects More Thai Spectators At Sepang Motorcycle Grand Prix

By Jamaluddin Muhammad

BANGKOK, Aug 11 (Bernama) -

The Sepang International Circuit Sdn Bhd (SIC) anticipates an increase of 10 per cent in Thai spectators for the Shell Advance Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix in October.

SIC chief executive officer Datuk Razlan Razali said that about 1,500 Thais watched the event last year.

"I believe we can achieve the target with all the promotions and special packages being offered to attract the Thais," he told Bernama here Wednesday night.

Furthermore, Razlan said, the Thais would have the opportunity of watching their ace rider Ratthapark Wilairot in action.

SIC attracted 105,000 spectators for its MotoGP last year, with 70 per cent of them being Malaysians and the rest coming from Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand and Australia, he said.

more

My missus and one of our daughters will be attending, boosting the numbers of Thai spectators. Can't wait, it'll be a great weekend!