Motogp 2011

Miiyai46

Congrats to Casey and his team on winning today.

I,m happy that we have got the most boring race of the year out the way now. The major incident was ,,,will it rain or not?

Marco failed to live up to expectations whilst Ben Spies did well with a third.

The Moto2 is a completely different game. A great ride by Bradl and a couple of shocking crashes really mixed it all up.

The 125 finish was really a great battle. I did feel a bit sorry that the young Frenchman who was docked 20 seconds though. But if you try that kind of move on the local favourite that is what you are rewarded with.

Roll on Silverstone, a track that Cal Crutchlow knows really well.

Cheers

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes well it was a procession basically from start to finish, I think Stoner passed Lorenzo in Lap 1, maybe Dovisioso passed Rossi for 4th soon after, Marco passed a few on his way to 6th, and even the coverage kept floating back to the battle for 9th between the four of five backmarkers. Just goes to show the MotoGP grid is pretty thin when you have a couple of crashers and Dani and Edwards not starting. Unless there is a virtual miracle this season is now between, Stoner and Lorenzo, Dani can match them but he's looking at a big points gap, Marco can also match them but he's got an even bigger points gap. Rossi, Dovisioso and Spies might win a race, but they are not in that position at the moment. Hayden is apparently a lost cause and CC 2 is looking better and better, but obviously cant win more than a race.

Moto2, whew, some serious spills, especially the Superglue taking out Simon, I thought Simon was very lucky. Bradl is looking the goods though very calm display in front.

Silverstone come on down.

You would think that Honda and Yamaha would have at least a " back up " rider to take the bike out.

Ok, so Colin was injured during the race weekend, but Dani said he wasn't going to race and with a few weeks inbetween these two races, Honda could have lined up a replacement.

Perhaps they didn't want to suffer the same embarrassment as Yamaha suffered last year when they stuck a test rider on Rossi's bike for a month or so.

These bikes ain't exactly a ride out on a Sunday morning with your mates.

been following the IOM races, like the old days - by radio - Manx radio has live broadcasts, and the IOM TT website runs live updates

Supebike Supersport and Superstock have been raced so far; highlight for me was last night listening to the Supersport, kiwi Bruce Anstey won his 8th IOM TT event (21st podium), watched the after-race interview he had no idea he had won till after the finish due to the spacings/time intervals.

That race had a tragic start, was red flagged on lap two after the accident/death of Irish rider Derek Brien, and was restarted an hour later for 3 more laps of the 37 mile course. Two sidecar men died in practice last week, takes the death total for the course to 234.

Anstey won the TT Supersport in 2003 on a Triumph 600 (four cylinder) which was history-making - breaking the stranglehold Japanese bike makers have had on racing in recent years (27yrs since a Triumph had won). Inspired by this I bought a Speed 4 (the no-fairing version of the bike).

One UK newspaper ran the headline 'Bruce Almighty' last week as he qualified fastest for the Superbikes, but sadly the bike failed on lap 3.

Still some big races this week

Wednesday June 8th: 10.45 - Monster Energy Supersport Race 2 Four Laps; 12.45 - Sure Sidecar TT Race 2 Three Laps; 15.00 - SES TT Zero Race One Lap

Friday June 10th: 12.15 - PokerStars Senior Six Laps

and thought for the day - how would a current Moto GP rider cope with all those walls?

Will Guy martin ever score that first elusive TT win?

Retiring in the SuperBike race and coming 3rd in the SuperSport and Superstock.

Congrats to Bruce Anstey, John McGuiness and Michael Dunlop on their wins....nice one.

Anstey has had a run of bad/good/bad with two bike breakdowns putting him out of the 1st and 3rd races.

9a852bd6-0279-444f-9d68-1767240fafc6-cover.jpg

The TT Zero Race is a race for electric-powered bikes; last year won by the MotoCzysz E1PC and they're back this year. In practice Michael Rutter did a lap in 24 23.99 with an average speed of 92.779mph (down on last year's winning average of 96.82). It was recorded at 142.8mph on IOM's Sulby Straight. The IOM Gov't 10k may be safe for another year.

The 2011 SES TT Zero race will take place on Wednesday 8th June and MotoCzysz will be one of a number of teams that will be aiming to be the first to achieve the historic 100mph mark for a clean emissions bike. The Isle of Man Government has offered a £10k prize to the first Clean Emissions team to achieve the prestigious 100mph lap around the 37 ¾ mile course

And some may have a little, er, snigger here . . . Beyond the electric motorcycle technical accomplishment, this is "the first time an American-made bike has won a race at the Isle of Man since Indian debuted a two-speed gearbox in 1911 and only the second time an American rider has finished first there.

A response to my own comments on a replacement for Dani at the races he will miss.

The text is from Crash.net.

Repsol Honda has confirmed it will not replace Dani Pedrosa for this weekend's British Grand Prix at Silverstone, instead choosing to concentrate on Casey Stoner and Andrea Dovizioso.

Having persevered with a two-man line-up at the Catalunya Grand Prix, there were rumours that Repsol Honda were considering a replacement rider for Silverstone should Pedrosa not be in a position to return.

However, although Pedrosa has since ruled himself out of the British Grand Prix, Repsol Honda will not replace him, scuppering rumours that they were going to promote Gresini Honda rider Hiroshi Aoyama for the event.

Other riders linked to Pedrosa's seat included former MotoGP rider John Hopkins, while Jonathan Rea would have also been a likely consideration had he not been committed to World Superbikes at Misano this weekend.

Silverstone GP this weekend.......you watch Cal C go!

a blast from the past - when men were men!!

on display at IOM Yamaha TZ750 OW60

and:

Five-time World Champion Mick Doohan, TT Rider Ian Hutchinson, MotoGP rider Nicky Hayden were to ride in the Arai parade lap, scheduled for today at IOM, but I'm unsure this went ahead due to bad weather.

Now repeat after me "those were the days!"

Brilliant photo mate. A beast of a machine.....four ear splitting stingers from this bike. You are right, its a machine for the committed ( literally ).

Didn't Barry Sheene ride one?

I have never been to the IOM but it is my dream one day to get there for the TT, hopefully on a bike and not zimmer frame :D

the electric bikes at Isle of Man

so close . . . but missed the £10k prize

Isle of Man TT star Michael Rutter narrowly missed out on cracking the prestigious 100mph mark for an electric bike for the first time in today's SES TT Zero Race. He took his Segway MotoCzysz machine to an electric bike record 99.64mph lap, breaking the record that his team-mate Mark Miller set last year, but narrowly missing out on the £10,000 prize fund allocated by the Isle of Man Government for the first electric bike team to achieve a 100mph average speed for the 37¾ mile circuit. Rutter topped the speed trap times at Sulby, posting an impressive 149.5mph, and he later revealed in the post race press conference that he thought that the bike could have gone even quicker but held back to conserve power.

the second SuperSport 600 race

Gary Johnson achieved his first Isle of Man TT Races victory when he clinched the second Monster Energy Supersport race on Thursday afternoon winning by 8.4s from fellow Honda rider John McGuinness. Guy Martin, Keith Amor and Bruce Anstey 3rd, 4th and 5th

Brilliant photo mate. A beast of a machine.....four ear splitting stingers from this bike. You are right, its a machine for the committed ( literally ).

I have never been to the IOM but it is my dream one day to get there for the TT, hopefully on a bike and not zimmer frame :D

bring back the two-strokes! they must have been hellish things to control/fight/ride. Yes I think Sheen did his time on these, along with K Roberts and co. And that beautiful noise.

funny thing, read about how - of course - those electric bikes at IOM make no sound, can't be heard approaching, and a suggestion they could have fake noise and speakers attached! a bit like kids' toys.

Some thoughts on Toni Elias.

He is the Moto2 World Champion and that states that he is " sh*t hot" on a bike.

He is constantly at the back of the grid for each race. Watching timed practice ,he is again last.

This must mean he has one or more of these situations.

1. A crap bike ( if you are bold ehough to call a V5 800cc 220 mph Honda crap ).

2. A poor team with poor communication.

3. A bad rider ( not on your nelly).

I feel so sorry for him, and as I say this he has binned it into the gravel.

His luck has to change (why Honda didn't put him on Dani's bike is beyond me, plus he is Spanish ((as Dani)) which is for the majority of motor racing fans, is a no brainer).

:crying: Cal is out

Get well soon mate.

Big loss for the race as he would have been right up there. Remember the first bend of 2008 MotoGp at Donnington? James Toseland crashing. Over enthusiasm, very possible. Great expectations from the team and fans, certainly.

What's going on with Rossi? We know its the first time he has been around the circuit but we should expect better from the GOAT.

Come on Vale!

Come on Marco!

Come on Jorge!

Why can I not shout for Casey? He is a racing god after all.

Qualifying.

There is no doubting Casey Stoner's ability, support and words from one of the greatest motorcycle racing stars ( Mick Doohan ), confirming that he will now run away with this years championship together with Honda. Lets face it, Honda are hungry. We all knew it was going to happen.

Colin Edwards, what a guy, 37 years old and just jumped off the operating table earlier in the week. Big respect Colin.

Thoughts on Rossi.

His performances remind me of the pattern of racers that have had their career's peaked and are in a situation of demise.

Don't get me wrong, I think all of us are very, very lucky to have witnessed the rise and dominance of The Doctor, but it looks like his time as a world championship contender has passed.

He is the universal icon of motorbikes and even my mother in law knows his name (even though she calls him "Lossi").

I have seen this happen with Barry Sheene.

Most careers start to decline following a serious injury, the compound fracture that Vale sufferred last year (and the accident during training on a moto X bike to his shoulder) have had a serious knock on his confidence and I will be suprised if he wins a race this year. Please prove me wrong Vale.

Anyway, who am I to talk about these immensely talented guys who are living (lived) thier dreams. I am just a sweaty English guys that persues a career in making tunnels in south east asia to make ends meet.

No one will remember or comment on me and my life.

I hope Marco wins by the way.

Edited by soihok

a blast from the past - when men were men!!

on display at IOM Yamaha TZ750 OW60

and:

Five-time World Champion Mick Doohan, TT Rider Ian Hutchinson, MotoGP rider Nicky Hayden were to ride in the Arai parade lap, scheduled for today at IOM, but I'm unsure this went ahead due to bad weather.

Now repeat after me "those were the days!"

Those were the days :lol: the 2stokers were metal machine TZ750 triple cylinder racers would shred tyres.

The RD350 I had use to scare me to death as well as bring you nearer to death.:crazy:

The TZ750A came out after as a four cylinder.

YZR500 OW60 was a square four and replaced by the YZR500 first V4 OW61 in GP.

Imagine a 1000cc V4 2 stoke I guess it would be uncontrollable.

Come on Val. :whistling:

Edited by Kwasaki

bring back the two-strokes! they must have been hellish things to control/fight/ride. Yes I think Sheen did his time on these, along with K Roberts and co. And that beautiful noise.

Barry did ride a 750 but for Suzuki GT750 2stoke triple in Formula 750 road racing and was champ in 1973.

With lucky No,7 in 1976 Barry won the GP 500cc class and again in 1977.

Kenny rode the YZ750 in formula road races.

In GP Kenny rode the YZR500 (OW35K) with the new power valve system in 1978.

Kenny won the GP again in '79 (OW45) and again in '80 (OW48).

On he GP V4 (OW61) Kenny came 4th in '82 and 2nd in '83.

Hope you don't mind the intervention and a bit of GP history.

PS "soihok" you must go IOM, an experiance not to be missed, I shook hands with Joey Dunlop a hell of a nice guy and also David Jefferies, sell the MIL or something. :lol: :lol:

Edited by Kwasaki

Some thoughts on Toni Elias.

1. A crap bike ( if you are bold enough to call a V5 800cc 220 mph Honda crap ).

What's going on with Rossi? We know its the first time he has been around the circuit but we should expect better from the GOAT.

Come on Vale!

Come on Marco !

Come on Jorge !

Why can I not shout for Casey ?

Have always liked Toni watched him come through the years from 1999 on 125cc, glad he got his first ever championship win in MotoGP2, he was nearly always up there and his best racing was I think on the 250cc class.

Yeah !! I wish he was on a 800cc V5 bike as well, maybe he would win easy :D I hope in next years change Honda compete with the V5 again, a mechanic genius.

As for Rossi, I would always make excuses for him anyway :) I just can't help thinking there concentrating on next years bike, he probably wouldn't of been allowed to do that if he stayed with Yamaha. I bet his not allow to go motoX either.:(

Yes !!! come on Val, Jorge, and Marco.

As for Casey, well if his got no-one pushing him he's going to stay upright but come on, there's 12 races to go yet.

If you get to go IOM take your bike for a great time, I remember when they allow you on circuit with your bike it was two way at the time but they had to changed it to one way because of the european riders having all sorts of colisions forgetting they were supposed to keep to the left, I was glad it was one-way.:D

A highlight for me was riding on the back of my own bike and Simon Beck rode me around the Snaefell Mountain Course, he set the suspension up so it was as soft as possible which was the opposite to what I knew and going around, I have to admit I couldn't look at times, after all there have been over two hundred deaths on the IOM corse since it started and sadly Simon was one of them, there's been 3 deaths this year.

Dave Jefferies before he died, stayed in the same hotel as us and at the time he was out of it with a broken leg from practice, I asked him how the hell do you go so fast

through some of the narrow roads and he answered like many have done " Just aim between the green bits " :lol:

You have got me rambling on again, anyhow MotoGP if 1 time winner Casey falls off for the next 6 races it's up for grabs for 7 times world champion Vale, roll on Assen.

I have a picture in a book somewhere of Kenny Roberts on what I think was a TZ750 with kind of knobby tyres racing at what they call a flat or long track in the US, basically a mile long bowl of dirt, that would have been something to see. They put some in Brisbane a few years back at the Redcliffe harness racing track, I think they were using super motard type bikes though.

The IOM would be the crowning spot on any trip I can make to Europe, but you wouldn't enjoy it if the weather was like Silverstone yesterday.

Getting back to the races I suppose Jorge was bound to fall off sooner or later, 25 consecutive top 4 finishes is pretty impressive. And I have no problem saying Go Casey. Valentino rode the sort of race you would expect from someone who just wants to finish, from his point of view he is now 4th in the Championship a long way from the top but still secure in his ride and paycheque for next year. So I couldn't write him off yet totally, but for this year gawn.

Elias is a talented rider, but hasn't been able to be consistent at the top level. I read that his Moto 2 bike last year was proven underweight at least for one race, possibly more, how come they didn't penalise him?. Perhaps karma from that has caught up to him.

Don't get me wrong, I have an immense amount of respect for all the riders out there, living the dream.

Casey is the fastest bike rider on a track in the world at the moment. Very impressive and out on his own at the moment. We have to think that he is favourite to win the series, as Mr Rossi did when he switched from Honda to Yamarah.

I thought the RCV was V5?

Don't get me wrong, I have an immense amount of respect for all the riders out there, living the dream.

Casey is the fastest bike rider on a track in the world at the moment. Very impressive and out on his own at the moment. We have to think that he is favourite to win the series, as Mr Rossi did when he switched from Honda to Yamarah.

I thought the RCV was V5?

What anyone says about Casey he has still got a lot to prove, full stop.

And no buddy please I weren't taking the piss I thought you " typo'd " the RC212V is a V4, Honda would not maybe want to go to the expense of making a 800 a V5.

Edited by Kwasaki

I have a picture in a book somewhere of Kenny Roberts on what I think was a TZ750 with kind of knobby tyres racing at what they call a flat or long track in the US, basically a mile long bowl of dirt.

Maybe your picture was about this as it sounds like history.

They were dirt track races in US the bike to beat was the Harley Davis and Speedway circuit racing was good in UK as well.

From records Kenny Roberts fearless riding style learnt after observing Finnish rider Jarno Saarinen was highlighted at the Indy Mile Grand National.

In a desperate effort to keep Gary Scott within reach in the points chase, Yamaha wedged a Yamaha TZ750 two-stroke road racing engine inside a dirt track frame.

On a bike that was considered unrideable due to its excessive horsepower, Roberts came from behind on the two-stroke, and overtook the factory Harley-Davidson duo of Corky Keener and Jay Springsteen on the last lap for one of the most famous wins in American dirt track racing history.

Afterward, Roberts was famously quoted as saying, "They don't pay me enough to ride that thing", classic. :D

Edited by Kwasaki

other bike racing this weekend (Thai times given)

World Superbikes are racing at Aragon, Spain

SBK Superbike World Championship 2011 Race 1 live from Motorland Aragon, Spain - 4.30pm on Star Sports.Race 2 at 8pm

Standings

ESP.jpgCARLOS CHECA 245

ITA.jpgMAX BIAGGI 173

ITA.jpgMARCO MELANDRI 150

IRL.jpgEUGENE LAVERTY 123

GBR.jpgLEON HASLAM 106

and British Superbikes from Knockhill

A one hour highlights show, 30min for each race, being shown on EuroSport channel at 3.02am on 20 June, 2.47pm 21 June, 10.30pm 23 June

Current standings:

1 S. Byrne HM Plant Honda 136

2 J. Hopkins Samsung Crescent Racing 121

3 S. Easton MSS Colchester Kawasaki 89

4 T. Hill Swan Yamaha 70

5 M. Laverty Swan Yamaha 69

Edited by genghis61