Buying A Big Bike

Sonkind

Having lived in LOS for 4 years now I stumbled onto the TV bike forum and let just say the bug bit me again.

I had a Fazer 600,Ducati Monster1100s and R1 in South Africa before and will be looking for something 600 cc and up for touring on weekends but also a bike with decent power(not less than the Fazer preferably) .Having spent hours searching these forums it seems my choices are pretty limited as i would prefer a new bike and would look at spending no more than 600000 baht.

Am I missing a manufacturer? ,as so far it seems my choices are basically just the Kawa Versys or Ninja 650 or maybe I can stretch for the new Monster 796 at 699000.

Also I must add that my 95kg frame may be a bit to big for a 600 at the moment :)

Any help would be appreciated as I am looking at buying this month.

Cheers

John

Having lived in LOS for 4 years now I stumbled onto the TV bike forum and let just say the bug bit me again.

I had a Fazer 600,Ducati Monster1100s and R1 in South Africa before and will be looking for something 600 cc and up for touring on weekends but also a bike with decent power(not less than the Fazer preferably) .Having spent hours searching these forums it seems my choices are pretty limited as i would prefer a new bike and would look at spending no more than 600000 baht.

Am I missing a manufacturer? ,as so far it seems my choices are basically just the Kawa Versys or Ninja 650 or maybe I can stretch for the new Monster 796 at 699000.

Also I must add that my 95kg frame may be a bit to big for a 600 at the moment :)

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I was in Chiang Mai last weekend for the bike week. my two riding buddies had their Ninja's serviced. While we were waiting later on in the day and as one does, we went and had a look at the showroom floor. They don't have the 2011 ZX-10 in stock but they do have a brand new 2010 ZX-10. They are wanting 600,000 for it.

cheers Garry

You're right that the only sensibly priced option is Kawasaki. However if you don't mind donating your dosh to the government/Thais who want to sell certain brands as premium products then you've also got; the Fazer FZ6 at 490,000 THB, FZ1 650,000, R6 680,000, Ducati Monster 696 580,000 Monster 796 599,990 THB, Ducati Hypermotard 796 590,000 THB and the Triumph Street Triple at 620,000.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I was in Chiang Mai last weekend for the bike week. my two riding buddies had their Ninja's serviced. While we were waiting later on in the day and as one does, we went and had a look at the showroom floor. They don't have the 2011 ZX-10 in stock but they do have a brand new 2010 ZX-10. They are wanting 600,000 for it.

cheers Garry

Cheers for that Garry. I will give them a call in the morning see what they offer.

While the advise given so far is great i personally would take a versys and with the extra cash left get some other bike you may like to have...offroad, supermotard, a small naked, or a small sporty...

can make yourself some little "stable,

happy trails,

mbox

Cheers

John

Hi John,

cheers Garry

Cheers for that Garry. I will give them a call in the morning see what they offer.

kawasaki is unbeatable value for money in Thailand

Low purchase price

Real warranty

Extremely cheap spareparts, and always in stock in LOS at your dealer next day

Service/repair at every kwaker showroom all over LOS

100% legal on taxes and reg book

my 100kg frame works fine on Ninja 650R :D

only issue during 15 months has been some aluminum parts corroded, living close to the beach. One mirror and 2 more items cost 800 baht to replace :D

Red Barron also have some bikes in your price range

http://www.redbaronb...roducts/?cat=10

Cheers for the link saorsa, I almost fell off my chair seeing that they had a VTR1000(IMO the best sounding bike ever) which has been a bike I always wanted. I am concerned buying a 2nd hand bike but will go and have a look.

@ Mbox I tried that logic by was politely informed that I am allowed 1 bike only :)

katabeachbum and BSJ I have heard nothing but positive things about kawasaki in LOS and would love to have a black zx10, but that is pushing my budget.

Red Barron also have some bikes in your price range

http://www.redbaronb...roducts/?cat=10

Cheers for the link saorsa, I almost fell off my chair seeing that they had a VTR1000(IMO the best sounding bike ever) which has been a bike I always wanted. I am concerned buying a 2nd hand bike but will go and have a look.

@ Mbox I tried that logic by was politely informed that I am allowed 1 bike only :)

katabeachbum and BSJ I have heard nothing but positive things about kawasaki in LOS and would love to have a black zx10, but that is pushing my budget.

There are rumours that Kawasaki will release the Z1000 next year, worth the wait? Of course it is only a rumour but the Versys was just a rumour 6 months ago!

Yes, I was quite tempted by that one also for a 2nd bike to play on when I want to go fast, but Ive just spent a bunch of money tuning the Harley, so not going for a 2nd bike anytime soon now. Not ridden the SP before, but my exGF in Edinburgh had a firestorm VTR1000 with race cans and I rode that a bunch of times. Sweet engine with really nice power delivery.

Tell us more. Which roads would you be choosing? Will you ride in a mountain region like Phetchabun or up North with many curves? The reason for asking is that my own ideas have changed. Now, ergonomics / weight and handling in curves matters more. Horsepower and top speed? Unimportant!

I followed Markus with his wife riding pillion on a CB 400 and couldn't keep up without constant gear changes and ruthless revving. The 650 cc twin seems to be torquey and lighter. The ZX-10 might be too heavy? Go and ride the bike before you buy! Chiang Mai would be a great place to do your renting & start your riding. GT Rider forum - here you will see fabulous trip reports and get ideas of where you want to go. Lucky you, if I had 600 grand to spend, I might be tempted to buy 2 bikes with different characteristic. One of them a Er6.

post-7704-0-21707000-1291767461_thumb.jp

Tell us more. Which roads would you be choosing? Will you ride in a mountain region like Phetchabun or up North with many curves? The reason for asking is that my own ideas have changed. Now, ergonomics / weight and handling in curves matters more. Horsepower and top speed? Unimportant!

I followed Markus with his wife riding pillion on a CB 400 and couldn't keep up without constant gear changes and ruthless revving. The 650 cc twin seems to be torquey and lighter. The ZX-10 might be too heavy? Go and ride the bike before you buy! Chiang Mai would be a great place to do your renting & start your riding. GT Rider forum - here you will see fabulous trip reports and get ideas of where you want to go. Lucky you, if I had 600 grand to spend, I might be tempted to buy 2 bikes with different characteristic. One of them a Er6.

Cheers for the GT rider forum link- will check that out. As for what riding I will be doing, mostly weekend rides to pattaya and probably up towards uttaradit every now and again. I do not see me using it in Bangkok to much and I tend to not like spending more than 4 hours on a bike at a time.

My main reason for buying a bike again is it used to be my stress relief, I would just take them out and ride around for a hour, no radio , clear my thoughts etc. And to be honest I have never bought a bike for the ride or power but more about how it makes me feel when riding it . I know this is much different to most people's reasoning but to each his own I guess.

I love he look of the ER6 but the missus is not a fan, the one thing we do agree on is that the Ducati Monster seems to tick all the boxes, I am testing a 696 this friday and if all goes well I will probably take the plunge on the 796 coming in Jan.

Thanks for everyone's input you have put me onto a few nice sites and really helped me out.

Cheers

John

looks like kawa rama 9just got their zx1000 show bike.

Saw one zip by me on my way to work somewhere in Mae Rim last Monday. I thought it was a Ninja at first and then I realized it was a ZX1000 (I remembered the photo I saw online). Road test?

The Versys is such a good bang for the buck that I am considering getting one here in California, where I have complete choice amongst all brands at fair prices. (U.S. sticker price = 231,940 baht)

Or, do I go deeply into debt and get my dream bike, the Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z? (U.S. sticker price = 418,751 baht) Even if I go with the Tenere here, my Thailand bike will be the Versys. The Versys is just a great bike. The only thing it doesn't do particularly well is rough roads. (That's where I have to second a previous poster's recommendation for a second, smaller bike.)