Big Bike Insurance -- Please Help

TongueThaied

I have had a Kawasaki ER6n for a little over a year. When I bought it, I also bought a first class insurance policy from the dealer. The policy provided 2,000,000/10,000,000 liability type insurance, 180,000 on the bike for theft, etc., and 100,000, I think for medical for me. It expired last month. The insurer tells me that no part of it can be renewed after the bike's first year. I have tried other companies with a Thai speaking for me. After 25 minutes of conversation, the Thai turns to me and says, "Sorry, not available after first year." I don't care about covering the bike or my own ass, but I am nervous about riding around with no liability insurance. If I accidently run over some kid, god forbid, I need insurance. Does anybody know where I can buy liability insurance for riding this motorcycle? The name of the company, its location and a telephone number would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and hope you're all having a great 2011!

I just recently re-insured my 2004 Ducati 999S again with the same broker, which the previous owner had. I get full payout (agreed value) on the bike if it is written off. I initially went through Hua Hin (where I bought the bike) and I was redirected to their Chiang Mai office.

Here's some info for you from an old email if you choose to follow up on it:

Dear Khun Garry,

Thank you for your email. I'm really glad to assist you with a bike insurance.

In order to obtain a quotation could you provide me the following information of your bike please?

Make/Model

Year of registration

Engine size

Value (baht)

If you have any questions or would like more information, please feel free to contact me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Ms. Mayuree Reunsati (Mam)

Office Manager

AA INSURANCE BROKERS CO., LTD.

206/22 Moo.6

Rimping Meechoke Plaza

T.Faham,

A.Muang

Chiang Mai

Phone: 053 230 127

Fax: 053 855 253

Email: [email protected]

Web: www.aainsure.net

Edited by Garry

It's strange that the insurer will not insure again.. who is the insurer Falcon?

Actually I was a bit curious about that myself..normally if there have been no claims the insurance company would welcome back and existing policy holder?

Would recommend you to contact Thaivisainsurancedotcom, as they can provide quotes for different Insurancecompanies for second year

I had first year in Falcon at 7800 baht 1st class, and recieved a quote for 2nd year, but it took 10-20 phone calls to them before I gave up the hazzle to get 2nd year, including inspection of bike, photos etc. Inexpensive though at 6200 baht for 1st class

I just recently re-insured my 2004 Ducati 999S again with the same broker, which the previous owner had. I get full payout (agreed value) on the bike if it is written off. I initially went through Hua Hin (where I bought the bike) and I was redirected to their Chiang Mai office.

Here's some info for you from an old email if you choose to follow up on it:

Dear Khun Garry,

Thank you for your email. I'm really glad to assist you with a bike insurance.

In order to obtain a quotation could you provide me the following information of your bike please?

Make/Model

Year of registration

Engine size

Value (baht)

If you have any questions or would like more information, please feel free to contact me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Ms. Mayuree Reunsati (Mam)

Office Manager

AA INSURANCE BROKERS CO., LTD.

206/22 Moo.6

Rimping Meechoke Plaza

T.Faham,

A.Muang

Chiang Mai

Phone: 053 230 127

Fax: 053 855 253

Email: [email protected]

Web: www.aainsure.net

Just to add, their service was painless and prompt :D :jap:

I was just at the Kawa-dealer to check about the 1st class insurance for my soon to be mine Versys.

They sell "Falcon" at 13.750 Thai baht. But <deleted> is Falcon? Never heard of it?

Would Viriyah do also big-motorbike insurance?

Almost 14k voor a 200k insurance sounds expensive. For my car a same insurance but then for 650k would be 24k. So more as 3 times the value but less as 2 times the price.

Chang Noi

It's strange that the insurer will not insure again.. who is the insurer Falcon?

Garry, than ks a million for the recommendation. I put together a lengthy e-mail with every attachment they could desire, so I now await their response.

As to why they will not insure again, it beats the hell out of me. I have never heard of an insurance company that would not take money. While it would be nice to have full first class coverage, I would be happy to at least have some liabiltiy coverage, but they said no to everything, or so said my Thai wife, who is well educated and speaks great English. It could be that the guy I contacted just did not want to deal with it. In addition to the motorcycle, I have a Toyota Tiger pick-up and a trailer, both insured. I have a Thai driving license, have been driving 43 years, 4 years of it in Thailand. I have NEVER had an insurance claim, no accidents, no on-record tickets. I purchased the original MC policy through the Nakhon Sawan Kawasaki dealer and the name on the policy is "The Thai Setakij Insurance Public Company."

I am happy living here and especially love RIDING here, but after 4 years, I've pretty much given up on trying to figure out why they do or don't do certain things here. Different way of thinking, I guess. There must be a reason, you think?

tongueThaied... You have to have the basic compulsory insurance by law .. its only 645b. Ask your wife to go to ANY insurance shop to get (or the land transport dept . they have insurance shops there)

You need the insurance to get the yearly road tax... got at the LTD.

"The Thai Setakij Insurance Public Company." maybe they have stopped doing big bike insurance.

Edited by thaicbr

My insurance from AA brokers to give an idea of my cover

NSI 1st Class Comprehensive + CTPL (premium)

Driver: Any driver (owners are crazy if they don't get this. What if your mechanic, family member, friend takes your bike for a test ride and crashes it "single vehicle accident", you're not covered)

NSI 1st Class Comprehensive + CTPLCompulsory Third Party Liability Cover ( CTPL):

1.Bolidy injury or death of the third party:

Limit to: 50,000 - 200,000 Baht/person & 5,000,000 Baht/accident

Third Party Liability Cover:

1.Bodily Injury or death over CTPL

Limit to:

500,000 Baht/Each person

10,000,000 Baht/Each accident

2. Property Damage: 1,000,000 Baht/Each accident

2.1 Amount of Deductible: none

Own Damage Cover:

1. Own Damage: 600,000 Baht/Each accident

1.1 Amount of Deductible: 10,000 Baht/ Each accident

2. Fire & Theft: 600,000 Baht/Each accident

Driver & Passenger Cover:

1. Personal accident benefit for:

1 Driver: 100,000 Baht/Each person

1 Passenger: 100,000 Baht/Each person

2. Accident Medical Expense (2): 100,000 Baht/Each person

3. Bail bond: 200,000 Baht/ Each accident

Use of Motor Vehicle: Private

Driver: Any Driver

CTPL premium: 646 Baht

Premium Total / Year: 24,875 Baht

This wasnt good, comments below

NSI 1st Class Comprehensive + CTPL (premium)

Driver: Any driver (owners are crazy if they don't get this. What if your mechanic, family member, friend takes your bike for a test ride and crashes it "single vehicle accident", you're not covered)

NSI 1st Class Comprehensive + CTPLCompulsory Third Party Liability Cover ( CTPL):

1.Bolidy injury or death of the third party:

Limit to: 50,000 - 200,000 Baht/person & 5,000,000 Baht/accident

should be 1mill x 10 persons =10.mill baht

Third Party Liability Cover:

1.Bodily Injury or death over CTPL

Limit to:

500,000 Baht/Each person

10,000,000 Baht/Each accident

same as above

at least 5 million, which barely covers a new BMW, should be 10 million covering 1/3 of a Ferrari

Own Damage Cover:

1. Own Damage: 600,000 Baht/Each accident

1.1 Amount of Deductible: 10,000 Baht/ Each accident

2. Fire & Theft: 600,000 Baht/Each accident

Driver & Passenger Cover:

1. Personal accident benefit for:

1 Driver: 100,000 Baht/Each person

1 Passenger: 100,000 Baht/Each person

2. Accident Medical Expense (2): 100,000 Baht/Each person

close to nothing

3. Bail bond: 200,000 Baht/ Each accident

legal minmum requirement when involved in fatal accident

Use of Motor Vehicle: Private

Driver: Any Driver

CTPL premium: 646 Baht

Premium Total / Year: 24,875 Baht

at least 5 million, which barely covers a new BMW, should be 10 million covering 1/3 of a Ferrari

No dramas my end, probably more a concern in Bangkok. I'm happy with the insurance up north.:)

I had my XT250x insured by Virihya and my wife had her KSR also insured there.

But suddenly they said "we do not do motorbikes anymore".

Before with an Honda Wave they also did not want to make a full insurance for the second year.

Will check monday if that also includes new big bikes.

Chang Noi

the harley davidson shop in CM does basic 3rd party only liability that covers up to 1 million baht per person....10,000,000 per accident using THAISRI insurance whose head office is in BKK.they have a website but its in thai and im not sure if i can post a link here...........the cost for my ER6N was 4000 baht ............like yourself i am particularily concerned at hurting someone else or damaging their property and being taken for every penny but this company issues u an emergency telephone number and promises to have a representative at the scene within the hour and suggests u keep shhtum and admit nothing until he arrives to fight your corner........fortunately i have not had need of their services as yet..touch wood

Edited by nattydread

the harley davidson shop in CM does basic 3rd party only liability that covers up to 1 million baht per person....10,000,000 per accident using THAISRI insurance whose head office is in BKK.they have a website but its in thai and im not sure if i can post a link here...........the cost for my ER6N was 4000 baht ............like yourself i am particularily concerned at hurting someone else or damaging their property and being taken for every penny but this company issues u an emergency telephone number and promises to have a representative at the scene within the hour and suggests u keep shhtum and admit nothing until he arrives to fight your corner........fortunately i have not had need of their services as yet..touch wood

as with any Insurance, smile, be polite and shut up until they arrive, and speak only when INSURANCE asks after arrival. works very well, cause they dont want to pay unless they have to

tongueThaied... You have to have the basic compulsory insurance by law .. its only 645b. Ask your wife to go to ANY insurance shop to get (or the land transport dept . they have insurance shops there)

You need the insurance to get the yearly road tax... got at the LTD.

"The Thai Setakij Insurance Public Company." maybe they have stopped doing big bike insurance.

I have the compulsory insurance; can't renew registration without ponying up the 645 for that one. My worry is the very unlikely event that two kids run out of the bushes right into my path, and I slaughter both of them with no injury to myself. Shortly thereafter, I am vidoe taped talking on my cell phone (asking my wife what the hell I do now). During the converstion, trying cover my extreme anxiety, I laugh, all captured on video tape. Maybe I had a beer (1) at lunch, too. If I don't have the 10 million for which I could be dinged, I could be in serious trouble. Aside from the guilt of killing two kids (even through not my fault), my life (and my Thai family's life), as I know it, could suddenly cease to exist.

Not likely I know, but I was an ambulance chaser in my former life in the US, and I'm telling you, it does happen. I'd rather pay the 10,000 baht premium every year and not have that worry.

Wow, premiums are all over the board. My first year ER6n coverage with Thai Setakij Insurance PC , included 2,000,000/10,000,000 liability (third party bodily injury); 1,000,000 property damage; 180,000 to cover my own property damage (my motorcycle) w/ 5,000 deductible; 100,000 each for rider and my passenger for death/loss of limb; 50,000 personal medical; and 200,000 bail. Annual premium, only 8,472.267 baht.

I would be happy with Garry's coverage, though I would like to up the per person 3rd party boduliy injury limit to 1-2,000,000. I'm not real excited about paying 25,000 baht for this coverage, though. My chances of hitting a Ferrari in the places I frequent are ab out as great as me going to the moon, so 1,000,000 3rd party property damage is plenty.

Maybe the high premium is because Garry rides a Ducati. With no disrespect intended, Ducati riders are know to be crazy. An Er6n is advertised in the US as a starter bike for old women.

Wow, premiums are all over the board. My first year ER6n coverage with Thai Setakij Insurance PC , included 2,000,000/10,000,000 liability (third party bodily injury); 1,000,000 property damage; 180,000 to cover my own property damage (my motorcycle) w/ 5,000 deductible; 100,000 each for rider and my passenger for death/loss of limb; 50,000 personal medical; and 200,000 bail. Annual premium, only 8,472.267 baht.

I would be happy with Garry's coverage, though I would like to up the per person 3rd party boduliy injury limit to 1-2,000,000. I'm not real excited about paying 25,000 baht for this coverage, though. My chances of hitting a Ferrari in the places I frequent are ab out as great as me going to the moon, so 1,000,000 3rd party property damage is plenty.

Maybe the high premium is because Garry rides a Ducati. With no disrespect intended, Ducati riders are know to be crazy. An Er6n is advertised in the US as a starter bike for old women.

Nothing taken TT, I'm sure a lot of it has to do with agreed value refund on accident or theft B)

I pay around 25000b a year for first class with similar amount of cover to Garry for my Harley. Im with Mueng Thai (only went with them cos I got the first year free when i bought the bike and they got in touch about renewing a month before it expired). Never had a crash yet, so dont know what they are like to deal with other than processing the renewal. They did spell it 'Hatley Davidson' on the policy which I tried to get changed to no avail.

Today I went to Virihaya Insurance company in Pattaya.

I was told that they do not accept motorbikes bigger as 150cc and that they only to the first year full-insurance on the less as 150cc bikes.

So tomorrow I will make a search for other companies that have a office in Pattaya, and I mean insurance companies not brokers.

Chang Noi.

I was told that they do not accept motorbikes bigger as 150cc and that they only to the first year full-insurance on the less as 150cc bikes.

So tomorrow I will make a search for other companies that have a office in Pattaya, and I mean insurance companies not brokers.

Chang Noi.

This is all very interesting. I've had Viriyah for years and they've always renewed my policies for all my big bikes without a problem. I don't carry coverage for loss of my bike nor my own medical but maintain high coverage for any liability. I go to the main Chiang Mai office on the superhighway just south of the Airport Rd. flyover.

Chang Noi.

This is all very interesting. I've had Viriyah for years and they've always renewed my policies for all my big bikes without a problem. I don't carry coverage for loss of my bike nor my own medical but maintain high coverage for any liability. I go to the main Chiang Mai office on the superhighway just south of the Airport Rd. flyover.

Yes indeed a bit weird, because I had my XT insured at Viriyah the first year, the second year they did not want to accept it. And when my wife asked yesterday maybe they thought I wanted to insure a secondhand grey-imports bike? Maybe I will try contact their HQ in bkk tomorrow.

Well today I went to the DLT where some insurance companies are. The one I asked is actually a Viriyah office and their answer was "Only 3rd party insurance for small bikes" (which the pattaya HQ of Viriyah does not accept also). But she told me QBE Insurance on Sukhumvit would do.

Well also QBE Insurance is not accepting full-insurance for big bikes. But she told me AXA would do.

Well yes they do but at a price that they could as well say they do not accept big bikes. But she told LMG would do.

Well also LMG is not accepting full-insurance for big bikes. But she told me "Nam Seng Insurance" would do.

And yes! They accept big bikes and they even charge an acceptable price.

16.037,16 Thai baht.

3th party cover : Injury or death over CTPL of 10.000.00 p/p, Property 1.000.000 p/accident

Owner Cover : Own Damage, Fire & Theft 280.000 (with a deductible of 10.000) 0/accident

Personal accident : 100.000 for driver + 100.000 for passenger

Medical expensese : 100.000 for driver + 100.000 for passenger

Bail bond : 200.000 p/accident

Cover only in Thailand

As far as I understand Kawasaki Pattaya is selling "Falcon" insurance for almost 14k but with a cover for the bike of 200.000. And as far as I know Falcon does not have a office in Pattaya or elsewhere in Thailand. So what happens when you have a accident?

Tomorrow will check with Kawasaki Pattaya what that "Falcon" insirance exactly is.

Chang Noi

And they have a office in Pattaya and 25 other offices nation wide.

Well als LMG did

• 2 weeks later...

Chang Noi.

Yes indeed a bit weird, because I had my XT insured at Viriyah the first year, the second year they did not want to accept it. And when my wife asked yesterday maybe they thought I wanted to insure a secondhand grey-imports bike? Maybe I will try contact their HQ in bkk tomorrow.

Well today I went to the DLT where some insurance companies are. The one I asked is actually a Viriyah office and their answer was "Only 3rd party insurance for small bikes" (which the pattaya HQ of Viriyah does not accept also). But she told me QBE Insurance on Sukhumvit would do.

Well also QBE Insurance is not accepting full-insurance for big bikes. But she told me AXA would do.

Well yes they do but at a price that they could as well say they do not accept big bikes. But she told LMG would do.

Well also LMG is not accepting full-insurance for big bikes. But she told me "Nam Seng Insurance" would do.

And yes! They accept big bikes and they even charge an acceptable price.

16.037,16 Thai baht.

3th party cover : Injury or death over CTPL of 10.000.00 p/p, Property 1.000.000 p/accident

Owner Cover : Own Damage, Fire & Theft 280.000 (with a deductible of 10.000) 0/accident

Personal accident : 100.000 for driver + 100.000 for passenger

Medical expensese : 100.000 for driver + 100.000 for passenger

Bail bond : 200.000 p/accident

Cover only in Thailand

As far as I understand Kawasaki Pattaya is selling "Falcon" insurance for almost 14k but with a cover for the bike of 200.000. And as far as I know Falcon does not have a office in Pattaya or elsewhere in Thailand. So what happens when you have a accident?

Tomorrow will check with Kawasaki Pattaya what that "Falcon" insirance exactly is.

Chang Noi

And they have a office in Pattaya and 25 other offices nation wide.

Well als LMG did

Might want to check out ThaiSri insurance also. I have third party liability coverage with them (1M per person, 10M per accident, 1M per property)

and are paying around 3,000B for that. Paid for this through a broker named Tony Dabbs at e-insurethailand (google it if you want) and

received the policy in English a few weeks later. They also have a no claims bonus.

As you may know, as Thai Visa members you can use the services of Thai Visa Insurance Brokers and obtain on-line quotes HERE

As one of the very few "full company" Brokers in Thailand we can access all the Underwriters for any insurance and so offer the best for Thai Visa members - even difficult to get motorcycle insurance for large and small bikes !