How To Get Rid Of Those Annoying Ad Banners?

TVLover

Moral issues aside...

Just installed adblock+ and the G filter set and auto updater to firefox.. WOW doubled my browsing sped at least.. I guess I knew about adblockers but hadnt really considered how much time was wasted collecting different banners from different servers to render the page..

Thats a keeper..

Hi cv,

This could be an endless debate.

Working in marketing, I have a slightly different opinion.

Ps: sorry to the original poster for this post hijack.

Not at all, yeti! It's helpful. Thanks to those who have contributed, we already have a lot of useful input in order to help us eliminate ads and surf faster (I said 'we' because I am certain that others will benefit from this input, too). I find your "debate" with cdnvic equally interesting and, who knows, I might even join it later...!

Honestly, when I started this topic, I expected we would have this discussion, although it was not the purpose of my posting...

Moral issues aside...

Just installed adblock+ and the G filter set and auto updater to firefox.. WOW doubled my browsing sped at least.. I guess I knew about adblockers but hadnt really considered how much time was wasted collecting different banners from different servers to render the page..

Thats a keeper..

"doubled your browsing speed" did you say?? That's a lot! Good to hear this!

Just tried to load this page with and without ad blocker (emptying the cache folder before both tries), from 11s down to 6s.

It's nearly half the time, but just a small difference anyway (5s).

I don't think it's a small difference, if you consider that, every time you load a page, you save some 50% on the total loading time. If you cumulate the time you save over a long period of time you use to surf, it will all add up and become significant.

And this makes me think that, for those who access the Net on a non-unlimited package and who are charged by their ISP according to the time they spend on-line (especially through dial-up access), they will not only save time, but also money! No wonder why I've never seen ad blockers installed in Internet Cafes!

I dumped FireFox few weeks ago for Maxthon, and I found that the integrated ad blocker system is really more effective than the one from FireFox...

right on Yeti - I never looked back after going to Maxthon. There do seem to be many little problems with Firefox. Maxthon works excellently without any tweeking - I simply never see any ads. Pity really, I used to like the Flash movie ads on Yahoo news.

For sites such as this it would be fine with me if the sponsors were more visible - such as incorporating the sponsor names in the Forum software ... but I won't turn off the ad blocker due to all the other sites whose ads I don't want to see. Seems to me that 'yellow page' kind of ads are handy to have around. trying out this site without the blocker I found that it is no slower to DL and the ads are fairly well targeted to the individual reader.

(p.s. doing fine Yeti cheers ... back in a few months)