Earthquake

zippydedodah

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't seem that strong, but this is the first one I've experienced.

Anybody know why a 7.0 can kill so many in Haiti but only a couple people die in this one? I don't know much about quakes.

Anybody know why a 7.0 can kill so many in Haiti but only a couple people die in this one? I don't know much about quakes.

Burma close news.. wait till tmr morning

The epicenter of the Haiti earthquake was only 15 miles from Port-Au-Prince. If you look at Google Earth, this quake is out in the middle of the mountains with the nearest community 20 miles away (Small river village). In Haiti the population lived in brick/block & morter structures which are very rigid and do not sway very well, they just collapse unless they are properly engineered.

Depth is the first variation between 2 rated 7 earthquakes, the second is building design. Haiti was all low grade cement and brick. In this area of Myanmar there will be a lot of wooden structures, much much safer in an earthquake.

It depends alot on the character of the quake and the geological makeup of the area. Some quakes are "shakers", which give a violent pounding but are less dangerous than the "rollers". The rollers tend to create a lot of liquefaction which is highly destructive to structures and infrastructure.

We have been been a bit paranoid for a few weeks now after noticing a 1/2 inch crack in our wall of our 14th Floor Condo

after a small 3.3 Earthquake hit Chiang Mai a few weeks ago.

Plus the Condo above us has a crack big enough you can put your FIST in it... soooo we already didn't

feel very SAFE.

Then... after what happened in Japan... we were even more concerned. I don't mind DYING in an Earthquake... I just don't want to be buried with a 15 floor Condo

At approx 8.30 p.m. tonight we were watching T.V. when the Sofa begin shaking and then the plants in the house and pictures on the walls...

then it got bad... and the building was swaying back and forth very slowly. You could hear people screaming in the building.. or maybe that was ME...

and everyone started running out of their rooms but.. you can't do much when your on the 14th floor. We walked to the Fire Escape where you could feel the building moving and making a noise.. creeking sound. I must admit it was very Scary and I've been thru a lot of earthquakes in California. We had been discussing moving to a house which would be more safe... give you a chance to run outside. I guess thats a DONE Deal NOW becasue my wife is on-line NOW looking where to move TOMMORROW. Life is SHORT... Try to enjoy something new Everyday. Any houses for rent near Chang Klan Road, Taipae Gate or the Night Bazaar?

Wife ready to leave TONIGHT, lol

Tomorrow might be too late, that's how it always goes... Downtown Inn hotel has many rooms available.

God bless you, it ain't finished yet.

Tonight ended my streak. After traveling every earthquake region of the world over the last forty years and never felt one it

finally happened tonight. :( Sitting in the recliner watching the TV, sometime after 9:00 PM. and I felt my foot starting to move. Thought for sure it was me having some kind of muscle twitch so I ignored it. Strangely I also looked out the window and a bird almost flew into it but veered away at the same time-thought it was strange to see a bird flying around that late. About twenty minutes later my wife said she had felt her recliner move earlier. We went on line later and found that it was indeed an earthquake. Definitely felt an aftershock just before 11:00 PM. :(

Edited by L&J

Quite likely that was an aftershock.

One bad bit of news is that you can only determine preshocks, main event, and aftershocks after the main event has happened. With the recent big earthquake in Japan there was a series of quakes leading up to a 7.0 two days before the major quake. As the 7.0 quake was followed by 3 smaller quakes (6.0) the same day these were presumed to be aftershocks. Only now do we know that they were just part of the build up to the main event.

This is not meant to be alarmist and if you check out the seismicity map on the USGS website you can see that while this area of Asia has had quite a few quakes since 1990, most are pretty small ones. So unless you are unlucky enough to be sitting on top of one or are living on poorly filled reclaimed land (like the Marina district in San Francisco in 1989, even though it was 100kms from the epicentre), there should be little to worry about.

Here's the USGS map:

My link

One bad bit of news is that you can only determine preshocks, main event, and aftershocks after the main event has happened. With the recent big earthquake in Japan there was a series of quakes leading up to a 7.0 two days before the major quake. As the 7.0 quake was followed by 3 smaller quakes (6.0) the same day these were presumed to be aftershocks. Only now do we know that they were just part of the build up to the main event.

This is not meant to be alarmist and if you check out the seismicity map on the USGS website you can see that while this area of Asia has had quite a few quakes since 1990, most are pretty small ones. So unless you are unlucky enough to be sitting on top of one or are living on poorly filled reclaimed land (like the Marina district in San Francisco in 1989, even though it was 100kms from the epicentre), there should be little to worry about.

Here's the USGS map:

My link

just luv that' don't wantt be an alarmist', so what are you then, you should go and work for the bbc....... i'm jesting by the way!

We have been been a bit paranoid for a few weeks now after noticing a 1/2 inch crack in our wall of our 14th Floor Condo

after a small 3.3 Earthquake hit Chiang Mai a few weeks ago.

Plus the Condo above us has a crack big enough you can put your FIST in it... soooo we already didn't

feel very SAFE.

Won't be any kind of load bearing wall. So what happens to the walls doesn't matter much, just cement over it. ;) When you see cracks in the main pillars or beams it's time to get concerned. ;)

Here's the USGS map:

My link

You don't need reclaimed land to be alarmed. The entire city of Bangkok is sitting on land 10 times worse than the Marina. A 9 plus 10 km under Bangkok would result in only tall well founded skyscraper standing. The rest would be underground due to liquification!!!!