Rubber Trees

Why are you using 16-8-8 in a rubber tree plantation? And how old are these trees?

Rubber institute reccomends;

2-6 years; 20-10-12

7 years and up, tapping; 30-5-18

Or nearest equivalents.

Yes, Yara is one of the most expensive brands, i believe the main ingredients are imported from Norway.

Why are you using 16-8-8 in a rubber tree plantation? And how old are these trees?

Rubber institute reccomends;

2-6 years; 20-10-12

7 years and up, tapping; 30-5-18

Or nearest equivalents.

Yes, Yara is one of the most expensive brands, i believe the main ingredients are imported from Norway.

G'day Mr. Thaiguzzi,

Am correct in saying that the X-Y-Z refers to the composition of the fertiliser, where: X=Nitrogen, Y=Phosphorous, and Z=Potassium?

From which rubber institute did you source the recommendation regarding age against fertiliser type? Is the info from RRIM? Are you aware of whether the recommended fertiliser composition varies with different clones?

I've never taken too close an interest in fertilisers, much like when I fuel my car; I've always selected 91 Octane.

I'm off to do some research.

Also, in the last 14 days or so we've only managed to tap 3 nights. The rain has been horrendous - no beer money this fortnight.

All the best.

J

J,

# Nong Khai Rubber institute where my missus went on a 7 day course.

# I believe, could be wrong, that the XYZ numbers are relevant for both types of clones used up here (600 and 251).

# 3 taps in 14 days, you lucky b'stard. This is, without a doubt, the worst fortnight rain wise, production wise since we've been tapping, this being our 5th season... ONE TAP !!

Sorry I posted the wrong picture of a bag lying around.

We are only using the Yarra bags of 21-7-14 on our 10 yr old trees.

I've gone around and asked alot of the other tappers in the immediate area and everyone is using the same stuff. Their response is the same ss my families of why we are using this NPK ratio and not what that is recommended .Is that they all believe that a too stronger mix is no good for the trees in in the long run as it drains the tree too much.

Next season I'll be the guinea pig and try the 30-5-18 recommended mix and hopefully we will see a change in output.

I'm going to our local rubber store tomorrow and see what's available and whether they have a variety.

Edited by fezzy

Last year we used a high end brand (expensive) for one session, 22-5-18, as we could'nt get our favourite brand of 29-5-18 from our local suppliers. The difference in 22 and 29 was excess fruit ie seeds on the trees, and the tappers noticed latex was less forthcoming. Apparently, once tapping you need very high first and last numbers, and a very low middle number, see J's post above.

• Like 2

I went to 3 different suppliers today in search of 30-5-18 recommended fertilizer ratio mix and come up short . It seems that there is nothing in our area that matches even though we are surrounded by rubber trees. The last guy, who also has rubber too and was aware of this mix producing good flow said he can mix it out of 3 separate bag with different NPK ratios to obtain this mix . Below is his recommended mix to get a mix close to it .

Hey TG any chance of taking a picture and posting it so I can try and chase it up pre made .

post-126029-14385828670341_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As i've mentioned before, there is no true 30-5-18. 29-5-18 is the nearest, and it is available in at least 3 brands that i know of.

In a previous post several years ago, i mentioned the correct ratio to get the above 30-5-18, by mixing different NPK, as your post above, seems about right.

I have just checked my books, and in 2012, we did one session mixing 3 different types to get a "true" 30-5-18.

3 bags of 18-46-0

18 bags of 46-0-0

9 bags of 0-0-60

This gave 30 x 50kg bags of 30-5-18. Damn pain in the arse mixing it all up, i remember it was raining at the time, and you can imagine, we did 10 bags at a time mixed, on an old tarpaulin. Much simpler, and easier to just buy some 29-5-18, ready to go.

On another note, auction yesterday and today, dunno the price, did'nt bother selling, no product worth selling. 4000 odd fried eggs in the cups is not worth a lot of money. Incessant, persistent rain for the last 3 weeks.

Thanks for the help fellas .It makes a difference when you know the bag quantities too . Off into Sukhothai today so I'll try a couple more places and get some more interesting looks.

Hey TG can you take a picture of one of your old bags if you're got any laying around so I can show it around to the suppliers thanks.

Cheers

Garry

post-126029-14386602131334_thumb.jpg

While I complain that the weather is preventing us from tapping, others in Bueng Kan province are dealing with bigger issues (reference images attached).

Local price at the moment are around the 24 baht mark (24.60 B from memory).

Those that pay their help in % of harvest may be able to wait for price to go up but the help wants their money / share as they have expenses also.

I am used to being asked to pay a contractor up front as he has no funds to go buy expendables, cement, sand, or whatever. I just try to be nice as I tell them no, I will find someone who is more responsible as a business man as their work normally reflcts their sense of being a responsible business man who has managed a successful business for some lingth of time.

As my wife and other have mentioned ''thats not Thai way'' I simply point out , I am not Thai, I am not paying with money earned nor contributed by Thai so either accept my terms as I am paying or go down the road and kick rocks. Its quite surprising how many people have asked me why i do not trust others. Its got nothing to do with trust its my assisment of their ability to do the job properly, and ifr they need an advance their handling of finances is not one of their strong suits. OK off topic, but day labor are not known for a tendency to save a little rathole money.

No, you don't wait, because you are then into the realms of wet and dry cup, two different commodities, two different price scales, drying out procedures etc etc. You sell wet cup asap, with it being hard, but as wet as possible. If you are going to try and beat the markets, have the finances to store, and wait, and pay your tappers fortnightly, then sheet is the way to go. With current prices, sheet is not worth doing at all.

As for the above poster, completely off topic and completely irrelevant regarding rubber production.

I'll add that the following week prices could be worse, very rarely better. The last 4 years, the highest prices have always been at the beginning of the season, gradually declining to the lowest prices by the end of the season.

had a walk around the burnt out plantation the other week, all the trees that got hit by the fire are 100 percent finished, lost approx. 2000 trees, left with 600 ish good ones, not tapping this year, price and labor again is a pain so just leave them to the weeds........ got the macro going in soon to take the stumps out, rented the land out for sugar cane, 1000 baht a rai, first year free for them because they have to clear the stumps ect..... the wife has got a lot of land now rented out to this family, all cane, at least we see some money in our hand with out spending out......... shame about the trees though.....