Rugby World Cup?

ESPN STAR Sports awarded RWC Asia rights

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Rugby World Cup Limited (RWCL) has announced the appointment of ESPN STAR Sports as broadcast rights holders for Rugby World Cup 2011 to be held in New Zealand.

Under the deal, ESPN STAR Sports will broadcast all 48 matches live across 13 territories in Asia, ensuring that sports fans will see every try, tackle and pass of Rugby's premier event.

I just checked the star sports tv guide and there was no mention of the opening game.

Anyone know if there has been a change of plan?

Saying that, on the truevision site it is listed

http://www.truevisio...enhance_id=1846

If it's NOT listed in the TrueVisions magazine they there's a better chance that it WILL be shown than if it WAS listed in the magazine

I checked the Astro web site, and no world cup rugby on Friday or Saturday on ESPN or Star Sports. All games live on Astro Supersports 3, and the NZ Tonga game repeated in the small hours of Saturday morning for insomniacs.

SC

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked the Astro web site, and no world cup rugby on Friday or Saturday on ESPN or Star Sports. All games live on Astro Supersports 3, and the NZ Tonga game repeated in the small hours of Saturday morning for insomniacs.

SC

I still need to find a reliable internet stream to watch it at work.

post-51760-0-03881700-1315303478_thumb.j

The ESPN Star Sports website doesn't list it as being on in Thailand,it's listed for Singapore and Viet Nam though, and Cambodia and Laos, not listed for Malaysia, but if you're in Mongolia you can watch it!

Edited by PattayaParent

SC

The ESPN Star Sports website doesn't list it as being on in Thailand,it's listed for Singapore and Viet Nam though, and Cambodia and Laos, not listed for Malaysia, but if you're in Mongolia you can watch it!

In 2006, the Calcutta Cup was on live on Star Sports all over Asia except Taiwan. Faced with the choice of going to the Tavern or overseas, I went for a weekend in Manila.

All in all, perhaps a more entertaining trip than my 1990 cross-country trip to Cambridge for the same fixture...

SC

SC

In 2006, the Calcutta Cup was on live on Star Sports all over Asia except Taiwan. Faced with the choice of going to the Tavern or overseas, I went for a weekend in Manila.

All in all, perhaps a more entertaining trip than my 1990 cross-country trip to Cambridge for the same fixture...

SC

I was in Edinburgh for that one SC.....we retired to Greyfriars afterwards then a lock in in Sandy Bell's where we witnessed a copper enjoy his first spliff. Ahh them were the days!

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Rugby World Cup Limited (RWCL) has announced the appointment of ESPN STAR Sports as broadcast rights holders for Rugby World Cup 2011 to be held in New Zealand.

Under the deal, ESPN STAR Sports will broadcast all 48 matches live across 13 territories in Asia, ensuring that sports fans will see every try, tackle and pass of Rugby's premier event.

I just checked the star sports tv guide and there was no mention of the opening game.

If it's NOT listed in the TrueVisions magazine they there's a better chance that it WILL be shown than if it WAS listed in the magazine

SC

Astro satellite is actually illegal in thailand so is it possible that astro have the rights for Malaysia and star for

thailand?

http://www.truevisionstv.com/trueworld.aspx?key=&date=09/09/11&w=0&chid=109&pk=0&mode=3

Edited by bangkaew

Wednesday 17 August 2011

SC

Astro satellite is actually illegal in thailand so is it possible that astro have the rights for Malaysia and star for thailand?

Certainly very possible. And also very possible that Star ESPN supply different programming to TRUE and Astro - similar (in some ways) to my anecdote regarding the 2006 Calcutta Cup...

The news clipping at the top of the thread says ESPN Star has rights for Asia, but they may have then retailed on the rights for Malaysia to Astro to show on their Supersports channel.

SC

EDIT: Warning: I may have buggered up the quotes and accidentally misascribed comments...

Due to the tournament being held in NZ will forward passing be allowed or will the All Blacks have to play by the international rules like the rest of us? Or is it too boring and defensive playing by the rules?

No changes in the rules for the tourney down in NZ.

Forward passing and non-straight line outs will only be allowed for the All Blacks, same as always.

Due to the tournament being held in NZ will forward passing be allowed or will the All Blacks have to play by the international rules like the rest of us? Or is it too boring and defensive playing by the rules?

Forward passing and non-straight line outs will only be allowed for the All Blacks, same as always.

They will still bottle it. My money is on a repeat of the 03 final - if that is possible, with the Ozzies winning.

What bars show the Ruby World Cup live?

The Sportsman shows some of the games (from their website):

RUGBY WORLD CUP (starting September 9)

New Zealand v Tonga, Friday, September 9 @ 03.30pm

France v Japan, Saturday, September 10 @ 01.00pm

Argentina v England, Saturday, September 10 @ 03.30pm

Australia v Italy, Sunday, September 11 @ 10.30am

Ireland v USA, Sunday, September 11 @ 01.00pm

South Africa v Wales, Sunday, September 11 @ 03.30pm

Does anyone know any other bars that show the Saturday games?

Robinhood has got all games covered

Looks like its available on Global Sport >http://globalsports6.webs.com/RWC.htm<

RWC is not being shown Using Flash, SopCast software is needed - for some reason the usual SopCast software download site(s) are blocked in Thailand (or at least seem to be for me - getting the annoying w3.mict.go.th redirect - or would if I didn't block it!!!). ALthough it can still be downloaded from here > http://www.softpedia...r/SopCast.shtml< - btw SopCast (like MSN etc) is supported - that is, it will show adverts.

Don't know if it will work of course, but there you go, worth a try (for free - or a donation if you wish)

//Edit//

Just noticed that myp2p has been shut down pending some legal issue - so anyone relying on the such as http://www.wiziwig.eu/livesports will find it is down. Not sure this includes the comment above???

Not much info on it - there is a forum post related to it here - http://forum.wiziwig.eu/threads/59542-Site-issues - It is likely it is being attacked by the powers that be like FassPassTV was earlier this year (which has since moved from .eu to .ms to get the UK authorities off its tail).

//End of Edit//

Edited by wolf5370

They will still bottle it. My money is on a repeat of the 03 final - if that is possible, with the Ozzies winning.

Not possible, we're destined to meet in the semis, provided you get that far.

SC

Astro says

"STAR SPORTS

CHANNEL 813

Asia´s first satellite sports broadcaster which offers a diverse array of top-flight Asian and international sporting events. The key products on STAR SPORTS include English Premier League, Formula 1, Wimbledon/US Open Tennis, Augusta Masters and Rugby World Cup."

But is really on Astro Super Sport 3 all matches live and no adverts

STARSport has it live on TrueVisions, Telkom, Sky Nindo, Indovision, K+ and a few other networks - live

It's Day 2 of RWC 2011 with four exciting matches coming up: Scotland v Romana in Invercargill, Fiji v Namibia in Rotorua, France v Japan at North Harbour and Argentina v England in Dunedin. This will be the first big match for Dunedin's brand new Otago Stadium - Live across Thailand via Satellite

Scotland V Romania is now live Scotland doing well

Lets face it. On paper the All Black are the best side and with home advantage should win.

However it might well not happen. We know they bottle it in the big games but that aside they really need to drop the amazing arrogance that seems in built. Its rather like their iternal bleating about "poms this, poms that!!" and their failure or refusal to acknowledge England as a threat even though England won in '03 in reached the final last time out. Its not the talent thats lacking its the mindset of unparralled arrogence and superiority. If the attitude matched the ability they'd piss through the competition.

When will they realise that a mercurial attacking move might look good on the tv but if the passing is forward its NOT A TRY... surely they are just decieving themselves arn't they?

Edited by carmine

What bars show the Ruby World Cup live?

The Sportsman shows some of the games (from their website):

RUGBY WORLD CUP (starting September 9)

New Zealand v Tonga, Friday, September 9 @ 03.30pm

France v Japan, Saturday, September 10 @ 01.00pm

Argentina v England, Saturday, September 10 @ 03.30pm

Australia v Italy, Sunday, September 11 @ 10.30am

Ireland v USA, Sunday, September 11 @ 01.00pm

South Africa v Wales, Sunday, September 11 @ 03.30pm

Does anyone know any other bars that show the Saturday games?

Jamesons showing all the games including early morning kick offs

Lets face it. On paper the All Black are the best side and with home advantage should win.

However it might well not happen. We know they bottle it in the big games but that aside they really need to drop the amazing arrogance that seems in built. Its rather like their iternal bleating about "poms this, poms that!!" and their failure or refusal to acknowledge England as a threat even though England won in '03 in reached the final last time out. Its not the talent thats lacking its the mindset of unparralled arrogence and superiority. If the attitude matched the ability they'd piss through the competition.

When will they realise that a mercurial attacking move might look good on the tv but if the passing is forward its NOT A TRY... surely they are just decieving themselves arn't they?

We'll see how they get on when they meet in the Quarter-Finals...

SC

Heres the thing. I reckon that technically the AB's a far and away the best and they probably will win. But the whole thing down there is the arrogance that clouds the players and the rugby public. They would'nt accept, for example, that England were clearly far better in"03 even though, unlike the AB's, England went out and proved it. Its this attitude and superiority complex that has contibuted to these years of failure at the top level.

However, this WC the AB's are leaps and bounds better than, what is an average opposition even though they contend that the southern hemisphere always turns out good sides even though it ofcourse does'nt.

All Blacks to win comfortably unless they have to play France, in which case they'll choke.

Aaww cmon lads if the passes are forward the ref should rule on it, no point bleating

Theres nothing more annoying than someone who refuses to bite!! :D

Joking apart, it does go on a lot down there in your provincial games but i think we are all aware it won't happen in the WC.

couple of discussion starters from The Sydney Morning Herald . . .

British hacks in the past have accused Australia and New Zealand of "cheating" by stealing talented young players from other countries.

But this accusation has curiously not been raised for this World Cup tournament.

Perhaps these statistics might explain the British silence on the matter.

Samoa has 15 players who were born out of the country (all born in New Zealand),

the US has 12,

Italy 11,

Japan 10,

Tonga 9,

England 8,

Australia and Scotland 7,

Canada, Fiji, Namibia, Wales 5,

Ireland, New Zealand 4,

France, Russia 2,

South Africa 1,

Argentina, Georgia, Romania 0.

source

Kiwi brothel operator and dominatrix Mary Brennan on how busy they will be during the Rugby World Cup:

''The English are known to be particularly deviant. Whenever I hear an English accent I know there'll be some good business there.''

You naughty, NAUGHTY boys!

Source

Edited by Atmos

couple of discussion starters from The Sydney Morning Herald . . .

British hacks in the past have accused Australia and New Zealand of "cheating" by stealing talented young players from other countries.

But this accusation has curiously not been raised for this World Cup tournament.

Perhaps these statistics might explain the British silence on the matter.

Samoa has 15 players who were born out of the country (all born in New Zealand),

the US has 12,

Italy 11,

Japan 10,

Tonga 9,

England 8,

Australia and Scotland 7,

Canada, Fiji, Namibia, Wales 5,

Ireland, New Zealand 4,

France, Russia 2,

South Africa 1,

Argentina, Georgia, Romania 0.

source

Kiwi brothel operator and dominatrix Mary Brennan on how busy they will be during the Rugby World Cup:

''The English are known to be particularly deviant. Whenever I hear an English accent I know there'll be some good business there.''

Source

Quoting brothel owners is the basis of your defence! :D Baaaaa

<snip - for brevity>

Source

I hear sheep farmers around the world say the same of the kiwis!

Watching Japan v France online right now (watched the Namibia game this morning too - only got the high lights of the Scotland "skin-of-the-teeth almost" game as was busy) - try here http://forum.wiziwig.eu/threads/59907-Rugby-World-Cup-2011-Streaming-Week1 several links listed on first post (some work better than others). Absolutely chuicking it down now, so probably lose it soon :(

<snip - for brevity>

Source

I hear sheep farmers around the world say the same of the kiwis!

Watching Japan v France online right now (watched the Namibia game this morning too - only got the high lights of the Scotland "skin-of-the-teeth almost" game as was busy) - try here http://forum.wiziwig...Streaming-Week1 several links listed on first post (some work better than others). Absolutely chuicking it down now, so probably lose it soon :(

You're right wolf, the sheep live in constant fear down there and i've heard when the Welsh tour its total and utter pandemonium. :o

now France 25 Japan 18 after 55 minutes play

I'm using this link has been most reliable of the ones I tried; commentary teams vary in quality, thought the NZ ones for Scotland Romania were particularly poor (Murray Mexted and someone) and dreadfully patronising towards Romania who with just a little luck (or ref ending the game with 10 to go!) could have won.

After the captains' interviews Mexted said Romania would not make top-tier rugby while they accepted defeat so well - peculiar thing to say when the R captain, in his second (or third?) language, English, was merely polite in defeat and thanked his team, the opponents and the crowd.

Scotland, about 2/10 - Georgia will feel more confident after that poor showing.

Edited by Atmos

now France 25 Japan 18 after 55 minutes play

I'm using this link has been most reliable of the ones I tried; commentary teams vary in quality, thought the NZ ones for Scotland Romania were particularly poor (Murray Mexted and someone) and dreadfully patronising towards Romania who with just a little luck (or ref ending the game with 10 to go!) could have won.

After the captains' interviews Mexted said Romania would not make top-tier rugby while they accepted defeat so well - peculiar thing to say when the R captain, in his second (or third?) language, English, was merely polite in defeat and thanked his team, the opponents and the crowd.

Scotland, about 2/10 - Georgia will feel more confident after that poor showing.

Game just finished - Japan left the field 8 minutes before the game ended (or their spirit and energy seemed to!) - great game though, final result in no way describes the game - well done Japan - I watched on http://tykestv.eu/channel1.php wth British ITV coverage (commentator is a bit of a plonker though agreeing with the ref's (Walsh's) bad calls and ignored forwards and off-sides, of which this game was packed full - mostly from france). England up next.