Proof/Certificate Of Residence

Darrel

Has anyone obtained one of these recently? If so, was there a fee and were any documents needed apart from a passport with valid visa extension?

Or maybe someone got a similar document from another government or municipal office here? People in other parts of the country often seem to get them from the local town hall rather than travelling to an immigration office.

You're right in that it seems to vary office by office; my partner rang first to confirm what was required as we faced a 180km round-trip to Immigration and I didn't want to go twice.

Passport, photocopy of passport page and visa, two passport photos and proof of where I was living - they wouldn't just take my word for it!

In my case they accepted a signed photocopy of my partner's mother's ID accompanied by a signed copy of her housebook tabien baan as at the time I was living in a house that was in her name.

Charged 500 baht - in return an A4 document confirming residence with the immigration seal stamped across my photo.

This was in March 2011.

Previously I'd just been given (well not given, 200 baht) a stamped tear-off form about 1/4 an A4 page.

Edited by Atmos

I have the same question.

I just signed a one year rental contract.

Can I get a certificate of residence with my Tourist Visa from Jomtien immigration?

Or from the Amphur?

The condo management is going to register me as a resident.

Edited by manarak

Passport, photocopy of passport page and visa, two passport photos and proof of where I was living - they wouldn't just take my word for it!

How odd. They didnt ask for proof of where I am living for my actual visa extension!

Was yours at Jomtien?

How odd. They didnt ask for proof of where I am living for my actual visa extension!

Was yours at Jomtien?

Cert of residence is different to visa extension .It costs B200 at Jomtien ,but some other places charge B 500 .( Like Chiang Mai ).

As a proof of address for the letter from Immigration, you may also use utility-bills/telephone-bills in YOUR name.

Needed:

- 2 pass photo's

- copy of passport (name page and most recent visa pages+ stamps + arrival/departure card)

- copy of proof of address (utility-, telephone-bill, rental contract, etc.)

- form to be filled in at Imm.Office.

Cost:: THB 200 per letter

Letter needed for: buying motor vehicles, obtaining Thai driver licences, obtaining proof of address from your own Embassy, registry moobaan, etc.

Source: own experience 8-3-2011 Pattaya Immigration

Needed:

Dont have any of those, unfortunately. Oh well, I will just go and do a lot of smiling. Seems to work most times.

Letter needed for: ...... obtaining proof of address from your own Embassy

Hmm. If the British consulate thinks I'm going to pay 200B at immigration for the privilege of then paying another 2500B to the consulate so that they can certify the contents of the 200B letter, they have another think coming!

The whole point (for me) of going to immigration is to avoid being ripped-off by the consulate!

Needed:

Dont have any of those, unfortunately. Oh well, I will just go and do a lot of smiling. Seems to work most times.

Hmm. If the British consulate thinks I'm going to pay 200B at immigration for the privilege of then paying another 2500B to the consulate so that they can certify the contents of the 200B letter, they have another think coming!

The whole point (for me) of going to immigration is to avoid being ripped-off by the consulate!

If you have any repair bill in your name stating your address, it should suffice. I used a Samsung fridge repair bill before and it worked!

A friend 0f mine received a Cert. of Res. using only his hotel receipt from his guesthouse on Soi Honey, and no visa(only a 30-day visa exemption)Oct/2010. Jometien will give these to anyone, they just want the 200bt. is all....

On the same token a friend of mine was refused a Cert. in the Bangkok office and he had a tourist visa and rent and utility bills galore..

As a proof of address for the letter from Immigration, you may also use utility-bills/telephone-bills in YOUR name.

Needed:

- 2 pass photo's

- copy of passport (name page and most recent visa pages+ stamps + arrival/departure card)

Letter needed for: buying motor vehicles, obtaining Thai driver licences, obtaining proof of address from your own Embassy, registry moobaan, etc.

Here is the interactive form obtained from Chonburi (Jomtein) Immigration web site about a year ago, submitted with above listed documents and 200 THB

residence certificate.doc

Needed:

If you have any repair bill in your name stating your address, it should suffice. I used a Samsung fridge repair bill before and it worked!

Oh sure, just any (recent) document stating your name and an address.

A proof of address from your embassy is usually needed for institutes in your home country. I wonder if they will accept a Thai document cool.gif

A proof of address from your embassy is usually needed for institutes in your home country. I wonder if they will accept a Thai document

This is precisely the reason I need the document. For me the requirements are "any government document showing your name and address". It doesnt say any specific nationality of government.

All down to pointless money-laundering regulations, of course. Total waste of time and effort.

Oh sure, just any (recent) document stating your name and an address.

A proof of address from your embassy is usually needed for institutes in your home country. I wonder if they will accept a Thai document cool.gif

They will if it's written in English

Let me expand on that now my meeting has finished.

In the UK they will if it's written in English.

I once tried to get a certified translation of the immigration residence certificate but the solicitor here told me the UK banks won't accept it and he just wrote me a letter certifying my address and it was accepted.

I once tried to get a certified translation of the immigration residence certificate....

Do you mean that it isn't in English?

I would have expected it to be in both languages, just like the form one fills in to request it.

I wont bother getting one if it's in Thai as it wont do.

A proof of address from your embassy is usually needed for institutes in your home country. I wonder if they will accept a Thai document

This is precisely the reason I need the document. For me the requirements are "any government document showing your name and address". It doesnt say any specific nationality of government.

All down to pointless money-laundering regulations, of course. Total waste of time and effort.

Normally, I bring a business card from the condo block, and it seems to be acceptable. However, as backup my Thai driving license has the address on it, but nobody ever asked.

Needed:

Hmm. If the British consulate thinks I'm going to pay 200B at immigration for the privilege of then paying another 2500B to the consulate so that they can certify the contents of the 200B letter, they .have another think coming!

Well! Now you see one of the benefits of corruption in Thailand. These certificates are suposed to be free. When the staff can get 200 baht towards the "welfare fund" , it is amazing how easy such certificates are to get.

I cannot defend this attitude, but next time you feel constrained to complain about corruption here, remember there are two side to every coin.

And which is the cheaper culture?

I once tried to get a certified translation of the immigration residence certificate....

Do you mean that it isn't in English?

I would have expected it to be in both languages, just like the form one fills in to request it.

I wont bother getting one if it's in Thai as it wont do.

Yes it's in Thai as it's issued as a requirement for doing certain transactions in Thailand such as getting a driving license, buying a car, etc.

I've never tried asking for one in English but as it's issued from a computer if you told them what to write they might do it?

Won't your bank accept other forms of certification of address?

Won't your bank accept other forms of certification of address?

Several posters here have talked about getting one for address verification for overseas banks, so I cant be the only person who wants an English document.

Yes, the bank will accept a letter from the consulate (but I'm not paying 2500B for that: I'd rather die first) or any utility bill or bank statement or government letter. Needless to say I currently dont have utility bills, Kbank dont send statements, and my farang banks all have a UK correspondence address precisely so that I dont have to worry about post going missing here. A residence certificate from immigration seemed like a perfect and sensible solution.

If it comes to the worst I will just request a state pension forecast or something similar from the UK. They will post that straight out to me here for free. All so pointless though, as getting one letter from the UK proves nothing about my residential address at all.

Darrel, Why not get a residence certificate from immigration.

Head over to Soi Post office to get it translated.

Total should be somewhere around 500 baht.

That may work. Depends on how official-looking the translation is. The requirements say "official" translation, which presumably means rubber stamps, signature in blood etc.

The really galling thing about it all is that it is so totally and utterly pointless. Any document like this proves nothing at all.

I think that I may try Kbank for something written in English mentioning my name and Thai address. They only charged me 100B for a letter.

Darrel, Why not get a residence certificate from immigration.

Head over to Soi Post office to get it translated.

Total should be somewhere around 500 baht.

When I tried that at a solicitors they told me that the UK banks would not accept it and just wrote me a letter certifying my address which was accepted with no problem.

• 2 months later...

Needed:

- 2 pass photo's

Here is the interactive form obtained from Chonburi (Jomtein) Immigration web site about a year ago, submitted with above listed documents and 200 THB

residence certificate.doc

Thanks for the form. I will try my luck when I cross the border from penang to hat yai. i should have the passport photos. But I do not have a utility bill on hand. will only visa suffice?

Did you do this with a non-imm visa or did they accept a tourist visa?

Edited by 4evermaat