Life Span Of A Battery

Semper

• 6 years later...
On 9/19/2011 at 9:13 PM, kokesaat said:

Not having a diesel engine vehicle before coming to Thailand, our first battery died a quick death.......me not realizing that the glow plug light should extinguish before turning the key. Now that I've learned that lesson, our batteries (original and high quality replacements) generally last 3 years. Our current Vigo battery is 42 months, so I won't be surprised if it's dead in the morning.

What modern diesels have a glow plug light?

Had one on my truck last 8+ years,when i went to replace it

the battery guy was amazed,while my daughters Honda Jazz,

goes through them like Ever Ready's,the original one did not last

a year,i don't like the gel ones,like to check the level weekly and

only use distilled water.

regards worgeordie

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The battery in my Ranger has had it, truck is from 2013 and this is the second battery.

The second battery is the old type of battery, wet cell where you top up with des water now and again.

Bad idea since I go work overseas 2 month at a time and my wife is not good at this tec stuff so I will go look for a maintenance free now. I found the level in the cells under the plates so that's it.

• Like 1

2 1/2 years ( 50,000 km ) on my Jazz battery ( Panasonic ) before it started to show signs of losing power.
Actually was on the 50k service that the Honda guy was pushing for me to change, I took his advice and changed, not with them though !!
2,000 baht ( 1,800 actually with 200 off the old battery ) doesn’t break the bank and is worth replacing early just for piece of mind.

22 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

2 1/2 years ( 50,000 km ) on my Jazz battery ( Panasonic ) before it started to show signs of losing power.
Actually was on the 50k service that the Honda guy was pushing for me to change, I took his advice and changed, not with them though !!
2,000 baht ( 1,800 actually with 200 off the old battery ) doesn’t break the bank and is worth replacing early just for piece of mind.

The garage usually has a fab piece of kit to test the electrics, it is hand held device that gives a paper printed readout listing test results. Not only does it test battery voltage it shows starter motor amp/voltage "pull", on my ride the printout actually stated replace battery, obviously not enough stored amps...

The garage usually has a fab piece of kit to test the electrics, it is hand held device that gives a paper printed readout listing test results. Not only does it test battery voltage it shows starter motor amp/voltage "pull", on my ride the printout actually stated replace battery, obviously not enough stored amps...

Yup, the Honda guy showed me exactly that, a print out stated replace battery.

Took my Ford Fiesta in for it's service after 4 years and they recommended a new battery. 4 years seems OK. The Ford garage charged 3000 baht which is a bit over the odds but they did it there and then so saved me the hassle of looking around for the cheapest price.