Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

When I went to Pattaya a few days ago I took a walk along the beach early afternoon , took a few pictures of the jet skis and a drunk tatoo guy, from distance.

I was asked if I wanted to rent and just carried on walking , if I were a customer I would never choose to rent from someone appearing drunk and with lots of tattoos. I saw a couple of Indians renting but I didnt hang around long enough to see if they were scammed.

So a drunk guy without tats would be renting you a jetski????

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the furthering of anglo/thai relations delayed my walk today to about 16 30 and i did not get past mcdonalds as it is such hard going with the tat market on the coconut bar.

but time enough to catch 3 scams.

1st one right at the start of beach rd by the first set of steps with a thai guy in uniform attending to some russians. he had plenty of braid on his chest and dark glasses but his utility belt was empty and no side arm so i don't think he was a kosher policeman .

2 nd one was the water margin guy with more careless customers lebanese / arabs opposite the best friend complex

3rd one was more russians opposite mcdonalds this time with the big russian guy who sometimes shows up to "help"

high season or rather open season is with us!!

14 30 today two groups having the usual problems within 20 mtrs of each other near the best friend complex (again).

the football shirt crew favoured the black away strip of real madrid today as they argued with a group of afro caribbeans (inc at least 3 pretty girls ) while the mob next door were tackling another group, this time japanese or south koreans, not quite sure but 1 of them had a set of teeth on him like Duane Dibley !!

Took a couple of quick shots then left for my own safety too many eyes watching the crowds these days

a policeman stood there watching for a couple of mins before turning to real crime and dishing out a parking tkt to a pick up truck with market tat on beach rd. not having a wheel clamp with him he then dragged a no parking railing across the rd and chained that to the front wheel instead. TIT

Edited by striderman

another day another 2 incidents 1st one opposite soi 13/3, second near pattaya city walk. this second one was unusual as there was some damage to 2 ski's. one had a broken plastic bit that goes on the front and the other some small impact damage. i have noted the numbers and will try and see if i can find them tomorrow. the sikh guy turned up briefly and by chance i walked past the main parties as money was being talked about. 18,000 bht or 600 dollars us more than plenty that's for sure. probably claiming they will both be out of action for days but lets see tomorrow

the one that has the broken bit at the front is used constantly, the damage isnt noticeable when its pushed back together, and its used in conjunction with one that has some damage on the side, maybe covered up with some tape or something which is removed after they return

another day another 2 incidents 1st one opposite soi 13/3, second near pattaya city walk. this second one was unusual as there was some damage to 2 ski's. one had a broken plastic bit that goes on the front and the other some small impact damage. i have noted the numbers and will try and see if i can find them tomorrow. the sikh guy turned up briefly and by chance i walked past the main parties as money was being talked about. 18,000 bht or 600 dollars us more than plenty that's for sure. probably claiming they will both be out of action for days but lets see tomorrow

City Hall & the Jet Ski Scam-2009

Yet another committee, what a joke. Wasn't this thread started after the last committee came up with a course of action to be taken asking the question as to why the proposed action hadn't yet been taken? I don't know why they even bother going through the motions at City Hall when everyone knows that no positive action will be taken whatever the latest committee decides.

today at 17 15 found a group of south koreans in trouble opposite mcdonalds royal garden plaza. 2 real tourist police on the scene (they brought an official car ) outcome unknown.

earlier i saw the jet ski from yesterday with the damaged plastic bumper thing but not the second unit.

there is still a market on at the moment and by the time i get to the royal garden plaza i am fed up bumping into people so the rest of the beach i don't know what is going on

Looks like the Pattaya law enforcement is just following the model of their brothers in Phukett.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Pekad Tantipong said,

“So I would like any tourists who have any disagreements with a jet ski operator to go to the police. That will make it fair for both sides,” he said.

Story and comments here:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11516.html

Edited by pauljones

After visiting Pattaya for a total of 3 -6 months per year since the late 1990's i have in 2010/2011 reduced my visits to a week or two per year now and that may well fall to zero in 2012. The jet ski scam doesn't hurt me as I know about it, but the general attitude to foreigners, crime, overcrowding, terrible traffic, scams and falling value for money have compelled me to turn to other countries and I have found myself far preferring to spend my time in Vietnam, Cambodia and Malaysia. Of the shorter and shorter durations I have been spending in Pattaya and Thailand I am also spending less and less per day when I am there. The less the level of value I see on offer, the less I am willing to spend. The worse the attitude the less willing I am to part with my money. And the most recent time i visited was with a friend and we both felt the same way..."never again". Maybe its just us of course, but i doubt it. My guess is Thailand's xenophobia, racism, dishonesty, corruption and rising prices have finally started to deter visitors. Its days as the leader in Asian tourism are probably nearing an end and the blame for that can be laid entirely at its own feet.

meanwhile in another groundhog day adventure on pattaya beach i got as far as opposite mcdonalds at royal garden plaza before finding some italian looking tourists in jet ski trouble.

today the ski guys had mainly ac milan tops on so when push comes to shove you are facing a footy team

I don't see Pattaya tourism numbers going down. Instead, I see even more Russians ... The writing is on the wall. This season more and more places with Russian language only.

Thats fine with me, Pattaya can have the package tourists from Russia, India, Bangladesh and China as wel las the Arabs. All the more reason to go elsewhere. Talking of Chinese tourists though, I didn't see may on my last couple of visits, could it be they have gotten the message and moved on to safer and greener pastures?

City Hall & the Jet Ski Scam-2009

Don't click on the video but look at it as it is now and look to the right of the police man. Says it all really. huh.png

Edited by dean999

I noticed this warning sigh posted by the Marriott Hotet exit to beach road. I guess they have had enough of the scammers.

Good to see!

It's strong but interesting (probably for legal and/or cultural reasons) that they just don't say DO NOT rent them.

I noticed this warning sigh posted by the Marriott Hotet exit to beach road. I guess they have had enough of the scammers.

It's about time. They should put such signs in every hotel, on their own property of course. Better yet, put them on the inside of the doors of every hotel room, or a paper given to them when they check in.

• Like 2

It's about time. They should put such signs in every hotel, on their own property of course. Better yet, put them on the inside of the doors of every hotel room, or a paper given to them when they check in.

Yeah, Marriot certainly does deserve credit for caring about their customers enough to post that warning.

The hotels did the same thing in Koh Samui. When you checked in, on the registration page was a notice about jet skis. Of course the mafia threatened to blow up a few of them, but if many hotels do it collectively it will have an effect. I know the owner of the jetskis in KS and he told me revenue last year was down 80%. I am on the beach every day and rarely see a scam now so maybe it will work in Pattaya. Good luck.

Edited by parallaxtech

I witness another scam yesterday around 2pm opposite mikes shopping mall. Looked like a couple of indians involved but this time they had them behind a big tree so it was difficult to see what was happening. There was one police man there but he was wearing his helmet and nurse mask so I am not sure which one he was. I don't know why he would need his helmet 1 meter so close to the water? One of the scammers was screaming incoherently like he was on yaba or something but it was not at the renters but something else a few meters away. I saw the usual staff looking for people trying to take photo's. I am not sure how much was paid but several thousand baht changed hands.

I saw the usual staff looking for people trying to take photo's. I am not sure how much was paid but several thousand baht changed hands.

I think someone wilh a zoom lens should be able to take some good pictures from a long distance? If they see you you will have time to escape .

I hope someone will and post the pictures all over internet .