First Motorbike

Numerounos

Hello, I have just purchased my first motorbike, in Bangkok. Picked up a cheap Yamaha RX-Z 135. Don't know too much about mechanics of bikes or even how to ride them! There seems to be slight petrol leak as bit of petrol on floor where its been sat for 24hrs. Its an old bike but seems to be in half decent condition. Does anyone anyone know somewhere I can take it for a once over, as want to know its safe, my Thai is very basic?

Turn the fuel valve off at night time. Your float valve needs replacing, common problem with Yamahas.

thats probably something i should be doing with the boxer 250 (only use benzine red 91 anyway though )......i have a feeling some parts in the carb is damaged and fuel/air mix is wrong but they dont seem to want to go near it

(they would rather change a spark plug+ oil and call it "fixed" ) but its in now for the 3rd service in 3 weeks

luckily i live beside the service centre but this is starting to take the p!ss bringing it back every week :)

Edited by wana

Turn the fuel valve off at night time. Your float valve needs replacing, common problem with Yamahas.

Quite correct and not only with Yamaha's but with any bike that does not have a vacuum activated petcock. I have vacuum on my bike and still turn it off manually "most" times. This will also aid in a motorbike theft possibly if the guy riding off on your ride doesn't know where the petcock is and is force to flee when it runs out of gas in a relatively short distance. This happened years ago to a friends bike in BKK and we luckily found the bike parked up a few blocks away.

Wouldn't it have been smarter to have the bike inspected/tested before you parted with the cash?

Probably would have been the intelligent thing to do! Seemed in ok condition from my limited knowledge and the price was cheap so decided it would make a good project to tinker with & learn about bikes.

Turn the fuel valve off at night time. Your float valve needs replacing, common problem with Yamahas[/color]]

Thanks for the advice hopefully that'll stop the smell of petrol downstairs!

If you haven't ridden motorbikes in the past,definitely be careful around bkk.It can get crazy.

Yes its pretty scary out there! Just riding it locally till I get more confident on the bike.