Hooking Up With Some Intelligent Guys

Jotun

Oh, I'm all depressed now. I'll be having a quiet Hogmanay with the family. We can't even see the fireworks over the Twin Towers from my new flat. In fact, I face the hill, so I doubt we'll see much in the way of fireworks. The bairns will be disapointed no doubt.

What are your plans for St Andrews Night? Will you be out on the prowl for some intelligent company and witty banter? So long as you steer clear of possible sarcasm, you should be OK...

SC

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'm all depressed now. I'll be having a quiet Hogmanay with the family. We can't even see the fireworks over the Twin Towers from my new flat. In fact, I face the hill, so I doubt we'll see much in the way of fireworks. The bairns will be disapointed no doubt.

What are your plans for St Andrews Night? Will you be out on the prowl for some intelligent company and witty banter? So long as you steer clear of possible sarcasm, you should be OK...

SC

Sounds good. What was the middle bit ?

SC

Forget the cheese and pineapple sticks and bit of coal SC....take the kids on a proper night out in KL. No doubt it will be mayhem but better that than a two up and down facing Meadowbank.

No plans for Burns night as yet other than some haggis and a wooly jumper as I'll be in Europe for that one...thanks for the reminder.

Mind you that reminds me of another [email protected]'ll have a fine bottle of Bunnahabhain with me.....I trust you indulge?

Edit: Apologies SC....St Andrews night will be observed with a wee dram...I'd completely forgotten....!

Edited by smokie36

SC

Forget the cheese and pineapple sticks and bit of coal SC....take the kids on a proper night out in KL. No doubt it will be mayhem but better that than a two up and down facing Meadowbank.

No plans for Burns night as yet other than some haggis and a wooly jumper as I'll be in Europe for that one...thanks for the reminder.

Mind you that reminds me of another [email protected]'ll have a fine bottle of Bunnahabhain with me.....I trust you indulge?

Edit: Apologies SC....St Andrews night will be observed with a wee dram...I'd completely forgotten....!

The wee lad would need a bigger shitty stick to beat them off with, down at the beach club. Maybe Jotun would like to go drinking with him; he's ever so clever.

I'm told there's a butcher in the Village sells haggis; I'll need do do more research...

I had hoped to get back home for Burns Night, and the first round of the Challenge Cup, but it was not to be. Maybe second quarter...

Friends of mine had a flat in Meadowbank, funnily enough also facing thehill, rather than the stadium. Personally, I prefer a more 'active' view - I once had a nice apartment overlooking the refineries, and we had a good view of the flare stacks in the distance - and you could always tell which way the wind was blowing...

SC

I'm looking to meet some unintelligent guys.

I'd prefer guys with shaven heads and more than one tattoo, who originate from the less salubrious areas of English cities, preferably London's East end.

Ideally they should have very loud voices, sound a bit like Ray Winstone, and while laughing uproariously, and slapping Thai barmaids on the behind, have conversations consisting entirely of the phrases " 'Ere did yer see what I done dahn there? Did yer!? Did you see what I done? "ere Dave did yer see what 'e done, did yer? Hrarharharharhar harara arggh!" repeated endlessly as if on a tape loop.

Some discussion of the merits of various football teams could be judiciously interspersed in these exclamations.

I'm just finding great difficulty in meeting guys of this calibre around the Sukhumvit area.

Beergarden in Soi 7 fits the bill. Alternatively Soi 6 in Pattaya. Most of the Bangkok types have moved on to the Phillipines or are banged up.

I went to Soi 7 Beer Garden for the first time last week with some visiting friends.

It reminded of that bar in Star Wars.

Extremely depressing bar with no redeemable features...besides cold beer.

Jotun, you can scratch finding intelligent life forms in this bar...

I'd prefer guys with shaven heads and more than one tattoo, who originate from the less salubrious areas of English cities, preferably London's East end.

Ideally they should have very loud voices, sound a bit like Ray Winstone, and while laughing uproariously, and slapping Thai barmaids on the behind, have conversations consisting entirely of the phrases " 'Ere did yer see what I done dahn there? Did yer!? Did you see what I done? "ere Dave did yer see what 'e done, did yer? Hrarharharharhar harara arggh!" repeated endlessly as if on a tape loop.

Some discussion of the merits of various football teams could be judiciously interspersed in these exclamations.

I'm just finding great difficulty in meeting guys of this calibre around the Sukhumvit area.

Beergarden in Soi 7 fits the bill. Alternatively Soi 6 in Pattaya. Most of the Bangkok types have moved on to the Phillipines or are banged up.

I went to Soi 7 Beer Garden for the first time last week with some visiting friends.

Perfect for partington's requirements then. rolleyes.gif

Edited by smokie36

Perfect for partington's requirements then. rolleyes.gif

Great video.

It was pretty close to Soi 7 Beer Garden....but the girls weren't that attractive.

While what you say above is true, believe me you aint seen shit til you visit the Grace Hotel, not for the faint hearted.

SC

I'll be having a wee night down at the Clutha Bar, you know one of those wee Scottish pubs which are older than the USA, Italy and Germany combined? Anyway, live music a plenty in the company of the fair maidens of Glasgow. I reckon I've got a chance of avoiding sarcasm per se, however I have no doubt I will fall prey to some irascible Glasgow wit. I'll be disappointed if I don't.

While what you say above is true, believe me you aint seen shit til you visit the Grace Hotel, not for the faint hearted.

I used to like the Grace; convenient for the fleshpots, quite quick to get to, on the right side of Sukhumvit, big, bright rooms, and only once did I turn up and they claimed they were full.

I've never been to the disco there, because they asked for a cover charge.

SC

^

NEW EUROPEAN UNION LANGUAGE POLICY

The European Union commissioners have announced that an agreement has finally been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as Euro-English ( or "Euro" for short, to match the currency ).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy.

Also, the hard "c" will be replased with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm.

In the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". many words like "fotograf" will become 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e" s in the english languag is disgrasful, and they should go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by "v" , which are boz kviker to vit.

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be toking German lik zey vunted in ze ferst plas

Did you make that up 'cos it's very clever and sounds plausible over about 50 years. I think you qualify for an audience with the OP and a job in Brussels.

I used to like the Grace; convenient for the fleshpots, quite quick to get to, on the right side of Sukhumvit, big, bright rooms, and only once did I turn up and they claimed they were full.

SC

Believe it or not but it used to be the top after hour spot say 10 years ago. First the coffee shop and then the night club after they kicked the arabs out.

SC

Believe it or not but it used to be the top after hour spot say 10 years ago. First the coffee shop and then the night club after they kicked the arabs out.

I'll never forget the evening a pissed bloke from Saudi in full traditional dress gave my friend a big slobbery wet kiss right on the top of his bald pate. I think it was the first and last time we were in that pub, though it was better than "The Irish Bunker" - more like Hitler's Bunker, a concrete box half-way up a hotel, no windows, a bar at one end, a huge TV screen showing English football at the other, and in between, a scattering of arabs mostly in traditional dress drinking Heineken, if I recall correctly, and smoking as hard as they could. I never went back. After meeting the Saudi bloke, we moved on to a place with a live band, but I left when the lady from the massage place began to stumble. I wasn't in the mood for a big night out in any case.

SC

I'm also extremely intelligent (of course), but choose to live away from the farang ghettos of Thailand (I'm in Si Racha). Sukhumvit Rd is likely not the best hunting ground to find intelligent and resourceful expats though....

Sukhumvit is a long and winding road. :guitar:

jb1

I'm also extremely intelligent (of course), but choose to live away from the farang ghettos of Thailand (I'm in Si Racha). Sukhumvit Rd is likely not the best hunting ground to find intelligent and resourceful expats though....

jb1

I suppose running into intelligent blokes in real life might counteract the self-confidence I've developed in this forum.

SC

jb1

I suppose running into intelligent blokes in real life might counteract the self-confidence I've developed in this forum.

SC

I watched Mastermind the other night and was able to score four points...albeit one per contestant. Not bad I thought considering....if I added bottles of beer consumed I'd have easily won the competition!

jb1

SC

Is that what you call it! :rolleyes:

I suggest the OP relocate t o Pattaya. There in almost any bar he will meet ex members of the Central INTELLIGENCE Agency, Mossad and MI5 with lots of intellectual stories to regale him with.

It was only the fact of my genetically-engineered intellect that allowed us to survive. On Earth, two hundred years ago, I was a prince with power over millions... :whistling:

I am extremely intelligent but living in Chiang Mai.

Me too, I never associate with those stupid inferior tourists. They're not worthy as far as I'm concerned and as for those Chiang Mai expats, the less said about them the better.

But I'm anybodies if the price is right.

It's always dangerous to proclaim that you're extremely intelligent, especially when that type of statement is closely followed by a high school level language mistake like using the word "anybodies" when it should be "anybody's".

LOL - I'm not trying to be insulting but just could help to chuckle when I saw what you did.

Edited by Wavefloater

Me too, I never associate with those stupid inferior tourists. They're not worthy as far as I'm concerned and as for those Chiang Mai expats, the less said about them the better.

It's always dangerous to proclaim that you're extremely intelligent, especially when that type of statement is closely followed by a high school level language mistake like using the word "anybodies" when it should be "anybody's".

LOL - I'm not trying to be insulting but just could help to chuckle when I saw what you did.

Any Boddies?

Another "English teacher" in our midst.....:rolleyes:

How is that for a snide remark? As you said before: "These type of snide and immature remarks are the biggest reason I rarely post anything here" :whistling:

How is that for a snide remark? As you said before: "These type of snide and immature remarks are the biggest reason I rarely post anything here" :whistling:

As a non-native English speaker, i find some snide remarks to be most interesting :whistling: except of course those directed at me :rolleyes:

Edited by mauGR1

How is that for a snide remark? As you said before: "These type of snide and immature remarks are the biggest reason I rarely post anything here" whistling.gif

LOL -- are you stalking me, Semper?

What I said was intended to have a bit of humor and is vastly different from your totally humorous and unhelpful statement that sarcastically told the guy to talk to his farang mother about a situation that requires an understanding of Thai ways. About half a dozen people joined me in criticizing you about your truly snide remark, and we can understand that you're very frustrated now, so you'll stalk me (for how long?) looking for revenge. Perhaps you'd best just admit to the error of your ways and get on with your life. If you can't see how somebody proclaiming they're extremely intelligent then making a fairly basic grammar error has some humor, well.........

BTW, to the poster who assumed I am an English teacher, I can understand your guess, but no, I'm not. I did gratuate with an English major and have continued to retain my knowledge of proper English through writing -- mostly freelance but some commissioned

I'm not trying to be insulting but just could help to chuckle when I saw what you did.

EQUALS

I'm not trying to be insulting but I just couldn't help chuckling when I saw what you did.

As you rightly say, it's best not to talk too much about your intelligence as more LWP::UserAgent; often than not $ua=new LWP::UserAgent; my $response=$i; you may make a complete and utter $ua->post('http://www.example.com'); fool ["hfc[pos]" => 'yayaya']); of yourself and end up $content=$response->content; z-index:10; post(): $ua->post( $url, $field_name => $value); opacity: .99; feeling $ua->request($request, $arg [$i, $size]); a bit of a jerk.

Looks like the TV intelligentsia must have been out on the piss Thursday night and not woke up yet since there's been nothing substantially intelligent posted so far today.

Including this of course.

For the record, I took a dander down Soi Cowboy last night. Didn't see much evidence of intelligent Nordic blokery going on; or any nationality for that matter. I saw a Japanese getting his ferret well petted and a largish bloke getting his spuds well drained while wearing a bra on his head. There was a couple of Brits doing a bar sandwich with some incredibly gobby Isaan tart. So, I dropped by NEP on the way home and did the intelligent thing.

OP You need to do the stupid tourist thing before earning the Expat title. Until you have achieved at least 2 of the following you will not be accepted

taken a tuk tuk tour

followed an indian taylor just because he called you a lucky man

paid double the minimum for a watch

I like this. A phased approach to becomming an 'Old Hand'.

Stage 2: Intermediate Experience

Accidentally taking a lady boy back to your hotel

Getting squished by a BTS barrier because you were carrying a bag

Making your food inedible by adding way too much nham prik

Hitting your head on a low hanging sign becasue you were looking down trying to avoid falling into an open drain

Stage 3: Final exam

You are able to find your way to a specific stall in Chattuchak market without getting lost

Taxi drivers always put the meter on

You can ride on a motorsai taxi with a weeks load of grocery shopping without holding on

You can speak Thai to a stranger and they do not reply in English

The plants on your balcony are still alive

You can buy a drink in 7-11 without recieving a straw and a plastic bag

Street beggars, taylors, tourists and mosquitoes do not bother you