Jrd

sierra01

For anyone that remembers, and is still interested in, my post about JRD motor cycles, here is an update!

I’m still having a nightmare with my bike, the level of incompetence of the mechanics at JRD Rama 9 (RCS) has left my flabber well and truly ghasted. Most of the myriad problems I’ve had with it have been sorted out, except that the ABS has never worked and still isn’t, and the final biggy, the engine isn’t charging the battery. The highly qualified mechanics (don’t they look smart in their red and white shirts!) have had 6 attempts to cure the problem, and are now on their 7th. Who needs diagnostic skills, just change something each time and cross your fingers, that’s what been happening, soon I’ll have a rebuilt bike! The biggest p*ss take so far occurred on 19 November, they had collected the bike on the 18th. It’s 47km from the garage to my house, according to the milometer, I stopped for petrol at 15km, and it wouldn’t start, yet another flat battery. Before I left the JRD garage, the manager assured me that it was ok; usually I manage to get home before the battery goes flat, not this time. 15km! I called the manager and himself and a mechanic came out and changed the battery and rectifier, the maintenance free battery had gone dry, probably because of all the home charging I have to keep doing. Leisure batteries are designed to be constantly flattened and recharged, but vehicle batteries aren’t. I pointed that out to the manager but only received a blank look in return. Yet again I was assured that they had fixed the problem, this time I did manage to get home. The next day, flat again, this is a new battery remember. It was Sunday so I took a little bit of pleasure in disturbing the manager’s day off! This time they came and collected the bike, 21st November, and they still have it, I might get it back, they will return it, on Monday. I’ve told him that if the problem is still there then they can start lending me a bike while they are ‘repairing’ mine, he agreed.

I really don’t know what to do, the warranty expired last month (1 poxy year) but they’re still doing the work for free so I can’t take it anywhere else. I can’t take it anywhere else anyway because none of the local m/c garages will touch a JRD, I can’t sell it, no one wants to buy it, including the garages. The easy answer is to let it rust in peace at home and buy a Yamaha, but writing off 52,000bt goes against the grain. The bike is the biggest load of <deleted> I’ve had, backed by the worst mechanics on the planet. They weren’t even at the back of the queue when He was handing out brains.

I hope my misfortune and my ranting serve as a warning to others, anytime you’re in the market for a new m/c, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki are all good quality bikes, reliable, easy to maintain and hold their price well.