Thai Govt In Damage Control On Terror

webfact

The US Embassy is always "warning" I am sure some might be valid but like the little girl who cried WOLF all the time, in the end no one listened.

The US Embassy cries wolf so much in so many places there should be a special DELETE button in Outlook express for US Embassy mail. I am sick of their warnings.

• Like 1

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's now an AFP news post in the other thread saying police have charged a Lebanese guy with weapons violations over the fertilizer and chemicals stash.... I presume they're talking about the guy who's been in custody... the guy who supposedly had been deported, according to news reports posted here earlier today.

How far away does one have to get to truly get away from the American non-sense that constantly flows out of the government? Sorry, but meaningless scare tactics don't impress me. Furthermore, if two people can stimulate a panic without even doing anything, then the so-called bad guys win, period.

In addition, this 'cry wolf' crap is really getting old. Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world. See how that works instead of the normal gospel-spreading course, please.

Seems you speak English , your welcome.dry.png

Nice retort. If that's what you got out of what I said, I guess I'll reply by asking if are not plenty of other countries where I could have learned to speak English? Many of these countries don't instigate and perpetuate constant violence. I'm tired of US imperialism and just want to live my life in peaceful Thailand. I'm 12 times zones away, leave me alone, please.

Why not take your name off the mailing list of the US Embassy and just ignore the news ingrate? I'm not an American but thank god they have the intelligence agencies they do because if left up to this incompetent lot who knows?! By the way something tells me you would be the first to cry for help from the yanks after an attack.

• Like 1

How far away does one have to get to truly get away from the American non-sense that constantly flows out of the government? Sorry, but meaningless scare tactics don't impress me. Furthermore, if two people can stimulate a panic without even doing anything, then the so-called bad guys win, period.

In addition, this 'cry wolf' crap is really getting old. Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world. See how that works instead of the normal gospel-spreading course, please.

My sentiments EXACTLY... Thank you...

Since it is highly unlikely that "America" is reading this thread and won't get the various ideas presented, it could work to your advantage to make use of the Embassy services offered. As a citizen you have the right to complain, offer sound advice on how to run the Embassy services and tell them to stop pissing on the world, mind their own business and to stop crying wolf. Instead of moaning, make that difference.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/contact.html

I am certainly thankful for the information.

• Like 1

Thanks Galong .. my thoughts exactly

• Like 1

"I would like to confirm that Thailand is [not] a terrorist target," he said. Although terrorist suspects might have maintained activities in Bangkok, which is known in security jargon as a soft target, they were taking advantage of Thailand's free society, rather than staging an attack on the country, he said.

Harboring Terrorist wow wonder if they need help removing foot from mouth? Reprimand too much and US will cut off thai food stampsviolin.gif

So as long as they don't disrupt tourism, terrorist are welcome in Bangkok??? So like we knew they were there dude but ... like you know they gave good tea money and stuff so like... We are ok with it. passifier.gif

They're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't. Personally, I am happy to hear what the USA is advising its citizens to do. It's then up to me how I react.

Play your own game.

My sentiments EXACTLY... Thank you...

Since it is highly unlikely that "America" is reading this thread and won't get the various ideas presented, it could work to your advantage to make use of the Embassy services offered. As a citizen you have the right to complain, offer sound advice on how to run the Embassy services and tell them to stop pissing on the world, mind their own business and to stop crying wolf. Instead of moaning, make that difference.

http://bangkok.usemb...ov/contact.html

I am certainly thankful for the information.

Good shout. If you dont like what they are saying, then dont read it. It's like these people who sit through a TV program just so they can maon abaout it. If you don't like it, then turn it off....duh!

Edited by Lockstock
  • Like 1

Some of you guys (presumably westerners) are really rather unreasonable with respect to the issuance of this warning by the US Embassy. If you are not American, you technically have no reason to be upset as the notice was not intended for you. If you are American, did receive the notice, but would like to avoid getting them in the future, you can certainly take steps to prevent yourself from seeing the notices. It's really that simple.

There are so very many things to debate as to American policy around the world, but it's interesting that so many here can find a wrong in the issuance of a warning which 1) does NOT happen often here in Thailand and 2) we suspect now seems to have been substantiated by Thai authorities.

If it was not for the Yanks, you would probably not be speaking English, possibly German or Japanese.

As for the warning, better to get it out there than no warning at all.

I think you need to look at history, and take a look at a vote that happened years before any wars the Americans entered into. The vote decided, by a small margin, to use English as the main language of America and not German.

If it was not for the Yanks, you would probably not be speaking English, possibly German or Japanese.

As for the warning, better to get it out there than no warning at all.

I think you need to look at history, and take a look at a vote that happened years before any wars the Americans entered into. The vote decided, by a small margin, to use English as the main language of America and not German.

I think you are mistaken...

The Muhlenberg legend is an urban legend in the United States and Germany. According to the legend, Frederick Muhlenberg, the first ever Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, kept German from becoming an official language of the United States. At the heart of this legend is a vote in the United States House of Representatives in 1794, in which a group of German immigrants asked for the translation of some laws into German. This petition was rejected by a 42 to 41 vote and Muhlenberg was later quoted as having said "the faster the Germans become Americans, the better it will be." The United States has no statutory official language; English has been used as on a de facto basis, owing to its status as the country's predominant language. At times various states have passed their own official language laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhlenberg_legend

In 1794, during Muhlenberg's second tenure as Speaker, the House voted 42-41 against a proposal to translate some of the laws into German. Muhlenberg, who himself abstained from the vote, commented later, "the faster the Germans become Americans, the better it will be."[1] Despite not having voted against the bill, a legendcalled the Muhlenberg Legend developed in which he was responsible for prohibiting German as an official language of the United States

If interested the following is a nice account of the legend

http://www.watzmann.net/scg/german-by-one-vote.html

• Like 2

Nice retort. If that's what you got out of what I said, I guess I'll reply by asking if are not plenty of other countries where I could have learned to speak English? Many of these countries don't instigate and perpetuate constant violence. I'm tired of US imperialism and just want to live my life in peaceful Thailand. I'm 12 times zones away, leave me alone, please.

Why not take your name off the mailing list of the US Embassy and just ignore the news ingrate? I'm not an American but thank god they have the intelligence agencies they do because if left up to this incompetent lot who knows?! By the way something tells me you would be the first to cry for help from the yanks after an attack.

>> "By the way something tells me you would be the first to cry for help from the yanks after an attack." .. a bulls**t assumption

The US Embassy is always "warning" I am sure some might be valid but like the little girl who cried WOLF all the time, in the end no one listened.

The US Embassy cries wolf so much in so many places there should be a special DELETE button in Outlook express for US Embassy mail. I am sick of their warnings.

Really what is wrong with you? Can you not think? Can you not see or read?

The US has rarely or never issued a terrorist warning about western targets in Bangkok. It is a nearly unique event.

Shortly after the warning was issued a suspect admitted the plot and a very large amount of explosive precursor materials were discovered as a result of information supplied by the man the US issued the warning about!

Clearly the warning was timely, accurate and valuable. It simply beggars belief how you and people like you can interpret this as a false alarm, or crying wolf.

I am seriously really baffled over this. How do your minds work?

How can anyone see these facts and yet come to your conclusions? It just defies rational thought.

• Like 1

Thanks Galong .. my thoughts exactly

Yes, I am glad the minister of defense set everyone straight that terrorists are welcomed in Thailand. They are especially welcomed, I understand, if they launder money from the drug trade. Good to know you can freely act suspiciously like a terrorist without consequences. If only the assumed terrorist had thrown a butt on the ground there would be grounds for questioning. Galong I agree. I only want meaningful scare tactics. What is the point in meaningless ones? You might as well piss on all the other pisser and shittier countries that warned their citizens, such as those limeys, and just hate the world.

I unsubscribed to the embassy mailing list a long, long time ago. You have absolutely no idea what I would do after an attack! What a ridiculously speculative and purely conjectural thing to say.

Question: Why do terrorists do what they do? One answer is so that they can scare everyone. Bad guys can send out some message over the internet or somehow let it be known that they're planning some problems or, in this case, some 'intelligence' agent thinks they found something out and the whole world of media reactionaries and embassies jump on it like it's news of the Second Coming. If the embassy has solid evidence that something is going to happen then they should be more specific. They don't need to keep secrets from us.

I stand solidly behind by proposition that this is yet more Crying Wolf. Real threats are being watered down. In fact, it's already watered down. Almost all of my friends and acquaintences think this is pure speculation. Be scared if you want and be a bit extra cautious if you choose, but don't assume the realists among us believe one word of it.

Here's an idea for you, Gramps.... Let America take care of its own people and stay of our business. As an American living abroad, if my country issues a warning of something imminent, I'm listening. AMERICA WARNING AMERICANS IS HER BUSINESS. When sh*t hit the fan, you'll be whining, "Why didn't the US do something????? Where was the US???? " Maybe a terrorist's bullet shot at you or a terrorist's bomb exploding in front of your face would impress you.... Edited by starguard69

ABSOLUTELY agree with every word here - only one thing PLEASE... do not call the USA America. My friends in Brasil and Colombia hate it...so do the other Americans - South America is America too...so is Canada, even if it is a Part of the USA

Hope the USAmerican authorities are not to pi...d too much about the ThaiGovernment officials and proving them wrong with all the power they have, would not be the first time.

Definition of AMERICAN

:
an American Indian of North
or South America

:
a native or inhabitant of North America or South America

:
a citizen of the United States

I've noticed that when I call Canadians "Americans" they don't like it. In fact it's a sure fire way to trigger a series of anti-American rants.

That's cause people from Canada are called Canadians and NOT Americans. Try calling someone from New Zealand an Aussie or visa-versa and see how they react. Or better yet, call and Aussie a brit and see how that goes over.

What was being argued above that anyone from the continents of North or South America are "Americans" by definition. But have it your way of you want.

So don't listen then..... nobody's stopping you from listening. But if something DOES happen, you have been warned.

So the CIA, Homeland Security, US Military Intelligence Agencies ( Which is one of the best equipped and brightest agencies on this planet) and the security agencies of 11 other countries are all wrong.....

1. How do you know anything? Do you have access to the intelligence sources of 14 countries, including America?

2. "Cry Wolf" says you. Again, what do you know? Come one, oh you who know so much - give us your sources.

3. They are not trying to impress you. They are trying to protect me.

4. "How far away?" you ask. I, for one, am grateful my country cares enough to warn me all the way across the world.

5. Here's an idea - why don't you mind your own business? No, I cannot imagine you doing that - you're so well informed, wise and virtuous. Not.

6. If my country warns me and raises awareness and no attack happens - everyone wins - period.

How about this idea:

If my country (America) perceives sufficient threat to warn me; that good enough for me. I imagine they have access to a bit more information than you. I, for one, appreciate being warned.

And here's another suggestion, why don't you keep your nose out of my country's business?

You really upset me Mister.

A grateful American

Seeker

For starters, I'm an American expat too, so it's not YOUR country. I did exactly what YOUR and my country constantly told me "America, love it or leave it". I left, stop following me!

Now onto your silly questions:

1. How do you know anything? Do you have access to the intelligence sources of 14 countries, including America?

14 other countries are puppets of the US and follow their lead, not breaking news. How do I know anything... really, anything? Let's start with the WMDs that never existed and the subsequent attack of a country that didn't attack my country... oh I can go on and on about the 'anything' that I know.

2. "Cry Wolf" says you. Again, what do you know? Come one, oh you who know so much - give us your sources.

Assuming you're familiar with the story and hoping you're aware that back in the homeland there is a silly 'color of the day' scare system. One day you can go to an airport and there's a yellow level of a potential terrorist threat. The next day it's red. Seriously, do you actually take this seriously? My sources are plentiful, but this is basically common sense. There is money to be made by keeping Americans and other frightened. I suggest watching the brilliant BBC documentary "The Power of Nightmares". It's all available on YouTube.

They're not impressing me or the tourism industry which is under constant threat from ridiculous pandemic alerts from WHO and the CDC and the highly speculative world of journalism where actual facts play a minor role in reporting events... see the BBC and CNN's coverage of the Redshirt protests where they tried to make this out to be a Robin Hood-ish story with Thaksin as the good guy. They tried to make it seem like these were peaceful protestors... um, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vgl_cgEmzxA Were these photos Photoshopped?

4. "How far away?" you ask. I, for one, am grateful my country cares enough to warn me all the way across the world.

There we differ. I weened myself off of the American teet. I don't want nor need any assistance or advice from Big Brother.

5. Here's an idea - why don't you mind your own business? No, I cannot imagine you doing that - you're so well informed, wise and virtuous. Not.

Here's another idea: grow a pair. I can comment if I wish. If you don't like it, simply don't read what I write.

6. If my country warns me and raises awareness and no attack happens - everyone wins - period.

Everyone wins for giving false alarms. Man, that's really well thought-through. Perhaps you should read The Boy Who Cried Wolf again and actually pay attention to the message. There is a REAL danger in constantly warning people. The terrorists are winning thanks to sheeple like your 'upset' self.

Good day...

I don't know what your problem is, but it's the job of the US Embassy to warn it's citizens of any problems in a country they are visiting or living in. I for one appreciate these warnings. If your country doesn't extend the same level of giving it's citizens information, that's your problem.

How about this idea:

If my country (America) perceives sufficient threat to warn me; that good enough for me. I imagine they have access to a bit more information than you. I, for one, appreciate being warned.

And here's another suggestion, why don't you keep your nose out of my country's business?

You really upset me Mister.

A grateful American

Seeker

For starters, I'm an American expat too, so it's not YOUR country. I did exactly what YOUR and my country constantly told me "America, love it or leave it". I left, stop following me!

Now onto your silly questions:

14 other countries are puppets of the US and follow their lead, not breaking news. How do I know anything... really, anything? Let's start with the WMDs that never existed and the subsequent attack of a country that didn't attack my country... oh I can go on and on about the 'anything' that I know.

Assuming you're familiar with the story and hoping you're aware that back in the homeland there is a silly 'color of the day' scare system. One day you can go to an airport and there's a yellow level of a potential terrorist threat. The next day it's red. Seriously, do you actually take this seriously? My sources are plentiful, but this is basically common sense. There is money to be made by keeping Americans and other frightened. I suggest watching the brilliant BBC documentary "The Power of Nightmares". It's all available on YouTube.

They're not impressing me or the tourism industry which is under constant threat from ridiculous pandemic alerts from WHO and the CDC and the highly speculative world of journalism where actual facts play a minor role in reporting events... see the BBC and CNN's coverage of the Redshirt protests where they tried to make this out to be a Robin Hood-ish story with Thaksin as the good guy. They tried to make it seem like these were peaceful protestors... um, see http://www.youtube.c...d&v=Vgl_cgEmzxA Were these photos Photoshopped?

There we differ. I weened myself off of the American teet. I don't want nor need any assistance or advice from Big Brother.

Here's another idea: grow a pair. I can comment if I wish. If you don't like it, simply don't read what I write.

Everyone wins for giving false alarms. Man, that's really well thought-through. Perhaps you should read The Boy Who Cried Wolf again and actually pay attention to the message. There is a REAL danger in constantly warning people. The terrorists are winning thanks to sheeple like your 'upset' self.

Good day...

For all you're bullshit, you still can't explain to us the bomb materials found. Seriously, spread whatever hate you want about your country, you're entitled to your own stupidity. However, in this particularly case, this isn't about the Americans spreading fear or crying wolf. This is a real threat which I really hope is over.

• Like 1

I unsubscribed to the embassy mailing list a long, long time ago. You have absolutely no idea what I would do after an attack! What a ridiculously speculative and purely conjectural thing to say.

Question: Why do terrorists do what they do? One answer is so that they can scare everyone. Bad guys can send out some message over the internet or somehow let it be known that they're planning some problems or, in this case, some 'intelligence' agent thinks they found something out and the whole world of media reactionaries and embassies jump on it like it's news of the Second Coming. If the embassy has solid evidence that something is going to happen then they should be more specific. They don't need to keep secrets from us.

I stand solidly behind by proposition that this is yet more Crying Wolf. Real threats are being watered down. In fact, it's already watered down. Almost all of my friends and acquaintences think this is pure speculation. Be scared if you want and be a bit extra cautious if you choose, but don't assume the realists among us believe one word of it.

Did you ever get your handgun or shotgun? Not sure if a few guys on a motorcycle scaring you warrants getting a gun; realistically. All your friends are like this?

• Like 1

How typical of some superior farang races to do and say as they like, without thought and consideration. One of the issues here is that the embassy issued a warning WITHOUT first consulting / informing the Government of the country concerned. It smacks of arrogance.

It smacks of doing their job, caring about their own citizens first.

Exactly right.

• Like 1

I note that not one of the anti-American posters have even bothered to answer any of my questions posed in my post #148. Why not? Are they too difficult for any of you to answer?

I not see them but was looking for it. can you copy them inhere im bored anyway and will try to answer them :D lol

I note that not one of the anti-American posters have even bothered to answer any of my questions posed in my post #148. Why not? Are they too difficult for any of you to answer?

I not see them but was looking for it. can you copy them inhere im bored anyway and will try to answer them biggrin.png lol

They are on my post # 148 on page 7 of this thread.

I not see them but was looking for it. can you copy them inhere im bored anyway and will try to answer them biggrin.png lol

By the way I'm not anti-Amarican, it's just a few people who operate and use ther media-terror on the rest.

I pointed out an unattended bag sitting next to me to security at the south bound bus station and they paid absolutely no attention so I just moved away from it. Be vigilant but if your going to get blown up by a bomb that's just bad luck. What next? Don't cross the roads?