What If ?

monty1412

I dont know if this has been done before or there is one already setup but thought crossed my mind of how we the biking community on this board could actually do something a bit special while having some fun.

Im not a do-gooder or particularly altruistic person however i live in Thailand and think it would be neat if we as collective biking community could give something back.

was thinking about a well organised day ride.. could even be a weekend where everyone invited and collective group agree to donate a certain number of Baht per km travelled.... all out on a good days ride and doing something worth while.

The amount of baht would be totally up to the individual.. no shame if 1Baht per / km or 50 baht per km or whatever

The charity I was thinking about while not so much a charity would a be an orphanage.... we would have to pick one...someone on board must have some recommendations as to a suitable well run orphanage.

For me it would be nice just to get some quality riding time in with others and meet more fellow bikers while at the same time having a nice feeling that with every km Im actually part of something that is doing some good.

I think for the biking community in general this would be good particularly if riders were a good mix of Thai and Farang.

heck if this got enough steam we could probably hit up a few of the gear shops, bike shops and manufacturers for donations as well.

Would need to be well organised and would need a few folks to help with this but just sort of like the idea of this. Weekend following this we would with as many riders as possible go to orphanage and present moneys/ gifts whatever and let kids sit on bikes, take photos etc. what a thrill for them .

I guess what started this train of thought was BBBK's trip report to Khao Yai and the ensuing storm afterwards that made me feel maybe as a community we should look at something that does add something back to the greater community and I cant think of anything better than making an orphanage the recipient of this days proceeds....

Not suggesting this be turned into a regular event or that we get all formal and stuffy about this.. simply an organised event with a few good folks as organising....

Heck 20 or so riders covering 300-400 kms each in the day plus some commitment from related business's could see an amount of 100,000 Baht presented to the orphanage.

As stated its just an idea.. biking gives us all allot of joy and I think it would be neat to spread that a bit while having fun and meeting people.

Crap idea... stupid idea.. don't know.. ??? just a thought and throwing it out for consideration and feedback....

what did drive me to print on this was fact that I saw an event like this planned Id probably jump at myself anyway.

cheers

most bike nights are for charity. I think a Guy on here from Surin also helped organize something like your talking about. I can tell you from experience it is not easy organizing bike nights etc.

actually wasn't thinking about bike night rather simple bike ride Bangkok based brethren.. i.e march xth meet a south gate Kaho Yao.at XX:XX. simple easy and no huge hullabaloo.....

I have some connections with an orphanage through the charitable foundation of my company. They have an orphanage at Putthamonthon and one south of Kanchanaburi. We previously organized a car rally starting at Putthamonthon and ending at a resort near the Kanchanaburi facility, then spent the morning with the kids, and headed home Sunday afternoon. A great weekend all round. A similar thing that included heading down to Erawan and the Si Sawat loop could be fun.

If there was interest, I might be able to tee something's up. Probably better to do a flat donation, that way we could make the presentation on the day.

May take a little time to organize.

Cheers.

There's the Chiang Mai Toy Ride event held every year.

Actually they do charity rides every few months- Next one will happen in less than two weeks:

http://chiangmaitoyride.com/

Fantastic organization and I really hope to participate in one of their events some day, but they always happen on week days which makes it a bit tough for those of us stuck in an office...

As for ThaiVisa... it was tried and despite a lot of time and effort it was a bit of a... well... let's say "disappointment" so as not to offend licklips.gif

I don't know about the Honda organized rides, but nearly every Kawasaki-sponsored ride has a "tamboon" element where they donate money and or goods to some worthy cause along the way. Sometimes it's an orphanage, sometimes it's a temple, most recently it was helping out flood victims in and around Bangkok-

Some pics from one of the Kawasaki-sponsored flood relief activities in Bangkok-

309791_294921383860886_100000290806730_1164382_1735053801_n.jpg

Kawasaki owners and staff have been offering flood victims free transportation and supplies.

305722_10150461373872959_632237958_10492129_1105539397_n.jpg

Would you want to be rescued by this fellow? cheesy.gif

382788_10150449609877959_632237958_10441068_595718946_n.jpg

375805_10150461373992959_632237958_10492131_2068114330_n.jpg

381245_10150461374212959_632237958_10492134_129525104_n.jpg

386404_10150461374867959_632237958_10492144_377027393_n.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL! KawasakiSmiley2.jpg

There was one up north last year as well, North Ride for Japan. Few big bikes but it was organised by CM PCX club. I posted on their facebook page about possibly doing something again up here for the floods but got no response at all.

What about the possibility of the folk in BKK travelling north and the folk up north going south and finding somewhere to meet up around half way.

We all like riding and it would increase the number of donations to chosen charity / charities.

I do of course understand that something of that scale would probably mean an overnighter and that could be a problem for some but its just a thought.

There was one up north last year as well, North Ride for Japan. Few big bikes but it was organised by CM PCX club. I posted on their facebook page about possibly doing something again up here for the floods but got no response at all.

What about the possibility of the folk in BKK travelling north and the folk up north going south and finding somewhere to meet up around half way.

We all like riding and it would increase the number of donations to chosen charity / charities.

I do of course understand that something of that scale would probably mean an overnighter and that could be a problem for some but its just a thought.

I think what you have described is called the Pitsanulok Bike Week? Or perhaps the Lop Buri Bike Week? Or Chaiyaphum? Or Korat? Etc ;)

Just donate the money, why risk your life?

What!!!! why risk your life... what do you mean??

Thaicbr.. you are too noble and too smart to raise to that bait.... let his cast be upon dead waters

It was certainly not aimed at you guys, where I am now ( Samui) I'm in survival mode when I get on the bike, it's like running the gauntlet everyday. At 8 in the morning getting on the ring road is sometimes like trying enter a 4 lane 4 way F1 race. Some of the Thais and the tourists drive like nutters, blue lights everyday

And the roads are crap!

Part from that I love it.......well apart from......

Ride safe you lot

I have some connections with an orphanage through the charitable foundation of my company. They have an orphanage at Putthamonthon and one south of Kanchanaburi. We previously organized a car rally starting at Putthamonthon and ending at a resort near the Kanchanaburi facility, then spent the morning with the kids, and headed home Sunday afternoon. A great weekend all round. A similar thing that included heading down to Erawan and the Si Sawat loop could be fun.

If there was interest, I might be able to tee something's up. Probably better to do a flat donation, that way we could make the presentation on the day.

May take a little time to organize.

Cheers.

Tim. I know the place's you mean.. I would be interested in helping with something.

AP Honda did quite a bit of flood relief last year. Here is a piece from The Nation.

AP Honda Co Ltd, the biggest player in the motorcycle market joins forces with its business partners to offer free maintenance service after the flood recedes in six provinces in the Central region.

During Nov 15 and Nov 29, free services under the "Honda Cares for Flood Victims" project cover the replacement of lubricant oil, gear oil, spark plugs, air filter, as well as engine check-up and maintenance. This will be carried out by a caravan of 72 technicians.

Joining the campaign are Honda dealers, Ministry of Education’s Office of Vocational Education Commission (OVEC), Ministry of Interior’s Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM). They will visit Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Sing Buri, Angthong, Lop Buri, and Ayutthaya.

"The service will also be considered for other flood-affected areas when the flood recedes until the situation returns to normal," said Chiaki Kato, president of AP Honda Co Ltd.

The caravan will first be at Uttayan Nakhon Sawan from November 15 to 17; Clock Tower in Uthai Thani from November 19 to 21; Fa Krob Klong, Sing Buri from November 23 to 25; and City Hall, Angthong from November 27 to 29. The second team will visit Si Nakhon, Nakhon Sawan from November 15 to 17; Wong Wian Sa Kaew, Lop Buri from November 19 to 21; Pridi Bridge, Ayutthaya from November 23 to 26; and in front of Somchai Motor Sale in Tha Rua, Ayutthaya from November 28 to 29. Vocational students joining the caravan will receive on-the-job training.

Since the beginning of the flood, Honda and its dealers have helped the victims with life-relief packets, drinking water, tents, other necessities, and the free maintenance service to revive the damaged motorcycles. Honda Group in Thailand also recently donated Bt100 million to the Thai Red Cross Society. Under our "Honda Cares for the Flood Victims", all aims to relieve the plight and help lower the expenses of the flood victims, as well as to help the rehabilitation once the flood recedes

Seems there is no need anymore to help poor people or children in need. Everything has already be done by Kawasaki and Honda wink.png

monty1412, i like your idea and have great respect that you came up with such a topic here at TV. Good luck for this jap.gif