Spearfishing In Pattaya-Where To Go?

yougivemebaby

I don't know what the situations is these days, but when I was in the diving industry many many years ago spear fishing was frowned upon and to my knowledge none of the dive operators in Pattaya would take any divers spear fishing. Personally I would be extremely anxious if there were anyone near me in the water with a loaded spear gun.

• Like 2

I don't know what the situations is these days, but when I was in the diving industry many many years ago spear fishing was frowned upon and to my knowledge none of the dive operators in Pattaya would take any divers spear fishing. Personally I would be extremely anxious if there were anyone near me in the water with a loaded spear gun.

Yes there are people that agree with it, people that don't agree with it. It's been around since man could sharpen sticks. Personally I think being hooked in the lip and dragged around for hours isn't what I'd call humane. If you're a good marksman the fish will die instantly.

Usually you don't load your spear gun till you're far away enough from your buddy and always keep an eye on where he is. Obviously if you picked an idiot diving buddy then you have things to worry about. Just like any gun you don't point it at ANYONE. unless you mean to of course. And you're withing a couple meters of the fish when you're shooting it. I personally like sling spears. I don't like getting all fancy with a spear gun.

• Like 1

I don't know what the situations is these days, but when I was in the diving industry many many years ago spear fishing was frowned upon and to my knowledge none of the dive operators in Pattaya would take any divers spear fishing.   Personally I would be extremely anxious if there were anyone near me in the water with a loaded spear gun.

Yes there are people that agree with it, people that don't agree with it. It's been around since man could sharpen sticks. Personally I think being hooked in the lip and dragged around for hours isn't what I'd call humane. If you're a good marksman the fish will die instantly.

Usually you don't load your spear gun till you're far away enough from your buddy and always keep an eye on where he is. Obviously if you picked an idiot diving buddy then you have things to worry about. Just like any gun you don't point it at ANYONE. unless you mean to of course. And you're withing a couple meters of the fish when you're shooting it. I personally like sling spears. I don't like getting all fancy with a spear gun.

I totally agree.

Spearfishermen keep well away fro Scuba divers because ther scare the fish away. Pehaps the dive shops don't like spearfishermen because tbhey don't neede SCUBA and can't make any money from them.

Edited by Phil Conners
Fixed botched quote

Pattaya used to be a great place for spearfishing until the hoardes of noisy SCUBA divers frightened most of the fish away. In the early "sixties" we had an active Diving club with a spearfishing sectipn and I used to spear 100kilos a day of large good eating reef fish. Later on there were not much reef fish around but you could always get a lot of queenfish and barracuda. I think if you could find some where away from the SCUBA divers you might still find a few these fish to spear.

I love scuba and i love fishing. Though i always thought that spearfishing was bad. But id seen some Thai guys make a living of it and i actually think its a lot better as most fishing because you only take what you need and you don't damage the coral. Actually overfishing is a problem but its not caused by either sport fishermen or spear-fishermen.

• Like 2