Do You Ever Ride Without A Helmet

nattydread

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger!!! Just paid 200 baht for no helmet, whilst riding an electric bike.

man, they count as bicycle so you do not need a helmet on them like riding a bicycle.

they cheat on you so just go back and ask your money back before it is too late.

Do you need a helmet for a bicycle or electric bicycle?

Wearing a helmet on a bicycle is a good idea. Its not mandatory in Thailand but many people do it, especially when riding faster, in dangerous traffic or doing sport cycling.

Whether you need a helmet on an "electric bicycle" or "electric bike" (is there a difference?) by law sure depends on the type of bike. There sure is a speed limit. If the bike is faster than that you need a helmet. But i don't know the law. And asking a police officer mostly brings up more confusion because they don't know the law either biggrin.png

My beautiful wife and her 20+ yr old daughters and her beloved 3 year old grandson go riding their scooters without wearing helmets - I bought one for each of them - in Soi Rewadee which is full of uncoordinated drivers, pedestrians etc, not to mention the condition of the road. They feel immortal - what a shame. I have seen the result of many helmet-less crashes and believe me most Thais would probably retch if they saw them - but hey, you have only one head (unless your name is Medusa), but you can have many helmets. Why are the police so impotent at enforcing the laws about helmets?

Why are some husbands so impotent at enforcing household rules? Grow a pair and tell her in no uncertain terms that helmets are mandatory or else.

Why are some husbands so impotent at enforcing household rules? Grow a pair and tell her in no uncertain terms that helmets are mandatory or else.

Do you need to wear a wife beater shirt while....enforcing rules? laugh.png

Up2You works better because after all it is up to them

**Of course with the exception of your underage children

Edited by mania

Do you need to wear a wife beater shirt while....enforcing rules? laugh.png

Up2You works better because after all it is up to them

**Of course with the exception of your underage children

No, as the OP made clear, Up2U doesn't work: beautiful wife then goes without helmet, gets in accident, and creates a ruinous hospital bill or worse.

Maybe in absence of a pair OP can talk to the woman's mother and get the mother to intervene, esp. in light of hint of a cut in the subsidy.

This evening I went on a motorcycle able to produce 162 horsepower to buy a few beer... Yes, less than a few kilometers but I probably use way to much engine power as I love to tell people I ride my bike.

In my neighborhood 80% of the inhabitants is police or related to law-enforcement and I can without getting a ticket freely move from my home to anywhere on Rama 2 road....

Still is this safe, would I recommend it, should you do it... NO

Actually, I'm recently buying serious helmets for all my workers, yes even the girl picking-up the telephone got a helmet that will protect her (she ride a scooter, the helmet is 60% value of the scooter).

• Like 1

I still believe we as individuals should have the choice to wear or not to wear a helmet. In Pattaya, the accidents I see generally leave the victims with lower body injuries or arm injuries, not head injuries. It is usually the nimrods on hopped up scooters that have the big crashes. You've seem em, screaming down a 40 kph soi flat out. But even then they don't always have head injuries after a crash. Stupid thing is, often, the nimrod pulls up 100 metres down the road.....but he got there 3 seconds quicker than me! rolleyes.gif

PS: If the government is serious about protecting peoples heads, how come they allow cheap 200 baht helmets?

Edited by BSJ
  • Like 1

I still believe we as individuals should have the choice to wear or not to wear a helmet. In Pattaya, the accidents I see generally leave the victims with lower body injuries or arm injuries, not head injuries. It is usually the nimrods on hopped up scooters that have the big crashes. You've seem em, screaming down a 40 kph soi flat out. But even then they don't always have head injuries after a crash. Stupid thing is, often, the nimrod pulls up 100 metres down the road.....but he got there 3 seconds quicker than me! rolleyes.gif

PS: If the government is serious about protecting peoples heads, how come they allow cheap 200 baht helmets?

" 200 baht helmets " I like the monthly police pull for helmets in the village, one policeman has his wife sell helmets at 200baht you either pay him 200 and go home and get your helmet before you can take your bike or bye a helment from his wife, " it's up to you ". laugh.png

• Like 2

" 200 baht helmets " I like the monthly police pull for helmets in the village, one policeman has his wife sell helmets at 200baht you either pay him 200 and go home and get your helmet before you can take your bike or bye a helment from his wife, " it's up to you ". laugh.png

LOL

But in fact like this you get a helmet for free. So nothing to complain, "its up to you". TiT thumbsup.gif