Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

Based on that scenario I think Sydney would fancy its chances against Freo.

I think any team in the top 4 going against Freo in Freo is a good chance, I'd liken it to last year when we travelled to Adelaide for the first week, we all know the rest hahaha...

I'd be ok traveling to Freo should we need to. I think it's been a while since we lost over there.

If you were playing on Freo oval you'd be in big trouble. It's a crappy little ground that I always hated when I had to play there.

Fremantle play their home games at Subiaco Oval (cant come to terms with Patterson Stadium!) a much bigger and better ground which was my home ground for a number of years.

When you say your home ground, do you mean as a supporter or as a player?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Based on that scenario I think Sydney would fancy its chances against Freo.

I think any team in the top 4 going against Freo in Freo is a good chance, I'd liken it to last year when we travelled to Adelaide for the first week, we all know the rest hahaha...

I'd be ok traveling to Freo should we need to. I think it's been a while since we lost over there.

If you were playing on Freo oval you'd be in big trouble. It's a crappy little ground that I always hated when I had to play there.

Fremantle play their home games at Subiaco Oval (cant come to terms with Patterson Stadium!) a much bigger and better ground which was my home ground for a number of years.

When you say your home ground, do you mean as a supporter or as a player?

Played for Scarborough in juniors which was part of Subiaco's recruiting district. Played on the ground in underage combined sides many times (once played on WAFL grand final day in a preliminary game).

Then had several seasons in Subiaco thirds and reserves.

Found a pic of one of the combined Subi sides I played in. Dates me somewhat.

post-18822-0-61993500-1377588458_thumb.j

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2

Old Croc, on 27 Aug 2013 said:Played for Scarborough in juniors which was part of Subiaco's recruiting district. Played on the ground in underage combined sides many times (once played on WAFL grand final day in a preliminary game).

Did you ever come across Graham Bomford ?

Edited by Ron19

Old Croc, on 27 Aug 2013 said:Played for Scarborough in juniors which was part of Subiaco's recruiting district. Played on the ground in underage combined sides many times (once played on WAFL grand final day in a preliminary game).

Doesn't ring a bell.

That pic was taken about 1964-5. I'm now 65.

Doesn't ring a bell.

He must have been before your time and would be into the early to mid seventies now.

I met him through Surf lifesaving a number of years after his football days were over.

Edited by Ron19

5:52pm:

From CAROLINE WILSON:

Essendon has been banned from the 2013 finals series and the opening two rounds of the national draft and slapped with a $2 million fine for the derelict failures of its football program over the 2012 season.

The club will also miss the opening round of the 2014 draft but its role in next year's second round of draft picks remained unclear as the club completed a plea bargain with the AFL late this afternoon and avoided a contested hearing of the league commission.

Coach James Hird, who has impeded a settlement between the AFL and Essendon for the past five days, was still fighting to reduce his one year ban from the game and could still be headed for court.

Hird's legal representative Julian Burnside QC appeared close to a deal with the AFL late on Tuesday although the coach's position had not yet been resolved as Essendon chairman Paul Little agreed to the sanctions being presented as the AFL's final offer.

Danny Corcoran has accepted a four month suspension from the game with club doctor Bruce Reid and senior assistant Mark Thompson still resisting the charges levelled against them.

Essendon's VFL team is also expected to be banned from the finals.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-crisis-decision-live-updates-20130827-2smup.html

Doesn't ring a bell.

He must have been before your time and would be into the early to mid seventies now.

A coincidence:

I googled his name and found someone (born 1939) who won a surf lifesaving medal at the 1958 Australian Championships at Scarborough Beach. His team was coached by a Stan Jacks.

I'm pretty sure he was the father of a footballing mate of mine, Ron Jacks, who played for Scarborough, Subiaco and Footscray.

Doesn't ring a bell.

A coincidence:

I googled his name and found someone (born 1939) who won a surf lifesaving medal at the 1958 Australian Championships at Scarborough Beach. His team was coached by a Stan Jacks.

I'm pretty sure he was the father of a footballing mate of mine, Ron Jacks, who played for Scarborough, Subiaco and Footscray.

I knew Stan Jacks very well although I haven't seen him for more than 20 years and the age sounds right for Bomma.

The AFL is set to confirm Essendon are out of this year's finals as part of their punishment over the supplements saga.

The Bombers will also been fined $2 million and will be omitted from the first two rounds of the draft for next season, according to reports.

Bombers assistant coach Mark Thompson emerged from AFL House late on Tuesday afternoon, saying he didn't believe the club would play finals this year, before returning inside.

Talks to agree on penalties over the AFL club's suspect 2012 supplements program continued all day after discussions throughout Monday ended without a breakthrough.

Essendon, coach James Hird, club doctor Bruce Reid, assistant coach Thompson and Bombers football manager Danny Corcoran have all been charged with bringing the game into disrepute arising from the supplements program.

The Herald Sun website is reporting Essendon are officially out of the finals, and that Corcoran has been suspended for four months as part of a deal hammered out by the AFL.

Heraldsun.com.au also reports no decision has been reached on the fate of Hird, Reid and Thompson.

The spectre of Essendon being kicked out of finals or stripped of premiership points has been looming for several weeks.

The Bombers have been under investigation by ASADA and the AFL since February over the club's supplements program.

An interim report was presented to the AFL earlier this month, with sanctions set to be based on that while the ASADA investigation remains ongoing.

Acting on the report, the AFL charged Essendon, Hird, Reid, Corcoran and Thompson with offences relating to conduct unbecoming and bringing the game into disrepute.

Hird has filed a separate Supreme Court writ against the AFL that remains alive.

The Essendon / Richmond game is not in the TAB odds section of the AFL website again.

Edited by Ron19

CONFIRMED SANCTIONS

Essendon FC – fine of $2 million, no place in 2013 finals and will be deemed to finish the season in ninth, 2013 and 2014 national drafts, stripped of round one and two picks, but will get pick at end of round one in 2014. Club will be allowed to trade back into the first two rounds of the draft.

HIRD - 12 month suspension, back-dated to 25 August 2013. Legal challenge dropped.

CORCORAN - six months suspension, two months suspended, commencing 1 October.

THOMPSON - fine of $30,000

REID - charge adjourned until 10am Thursday.

This from AFL.com

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1

CONFIRMED SANCTIONS
Essendon FC – fine of $2 million, no place in 2013 finals and will be deemed to finish the season in ninth, 2013 and 2014 national drafts, stripped of round one and two picks, but will get pick at end of round one in 2014. Club will be allowed to trade back into the first two rounds of the draft.
HIRD - 12 month suspension, back-dated to 25 August 2013. Legal challenge dropped.
This from AFL.com

Pretty much as suspected. The down side is that there will be a couple of kids who won't get drafted.

Oh and almost forgot.. SUCK THAT UP GODDARD..............

Edited by chooka
  • Like 2

CONFIRMED SANCTIONS

Essendon FC fine of $2 million, no place in 2013 finals and will be deemed to finish the season in ninth, 2013 and 2014 national drafts, stripped of round one and two picks, but will get pick at end of round one in 2014. Club will be allowed to trade back into the first two rounds of the draft.

This from AFL.com

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-27/live-updates-dons-at-afl-house

Pretty much as suspected. The down side is that there will be a couple of kids who won't get drafted.

Realistically a slap on the wrist for all concerned... Still finish 9th and get draft picks, albeit down the pecking order...

I can see a number of players looking for trades at the end of the season... I hear Jobe Watson is best mates with the Richards brothers in Sydney... As are a number of the bombers given it was Ted's first club...

CONFIRMED SANCTIONS

Essendon FC fine of $2 million, no place in 2013 finals and will be deemed to finish the season in ninth, 2013 and 2014 national drafts, stripped of round one and two picks, but will get pick at end of round one in 2014. Club will be allowed to trade back into the first two rounds of the draft.

This from AFL.com

Pretty much as suspected.  The down side is that there will be a couple of kids who won't get drafted.

Realistically a slap on the wrist for all concerned... Still finish 9th and get draft picks, albeit down the pecking order...

I can see a number of players looking for trades at the end of the season... I hear Jobe Watson is best mates with the Richards brothers in Sydney... As are a number of the bombers given it was Ted's first club...

And the jobe Watson heading to Sydney rumour started right here :P
  • Like 1

Hahaha.. I was going to start it earlier, like when the story broke :P... But I really don't want Watson, yes, he's a Brownlow winner, but he's never impressed me.

Our midfield stocks are solid, perhaps if Goodesy pulls the pin, he might be worth investigating.

With Jarred McVeigh also having connections at Windy Hill, given his brothers career there, there could be some further discussion amongst the brains trust at Moore Park...

;)

Hahaha.. I was going to start it earlier, like when the story broke tongue.png... But I really don't want Watson, yes, he's a Brownlow winner, but he's never impressed me.

Our midfield stocks are solid, perhaps if Goodesy pulls the pin, he might be worth investigating.

With Jarred McVeigh also having connections at Windy Hill, given his brothers career there, there could be some further discussion amongst the brains trust at Moore Park...

wink.png

Jeez mate, saying no to Watson! laugh.png

Sydney couldn't afford him anyway..unless Goodsey retires, which must be on the cards.

I hope Teddy Richards is messaging hourly.

It is the players who should feel let down in this whole sorry saga. It might take a couple of months for them to realise they were the ones duped

CONFIRMED SANCTIONS
This from AFL.com

So being able to trade up in the draft, Essendon will be able to go to a club like GWS and offer up a player like Joe Danaher or Watson and picks 60 and 61 and receive pick 1 in the draft.

CONFIRMED SANCTIONS

This from AFL.com

So being able to trade up in the draft, Essendon will be able to go to a club like GWS and offer up a player like Joe Danaher or Watson and picks 60 and 61 and receive pick 1 in the draft.   
Both those players are off to Sydney Chooka

CONFIRMED SANCTIONS

This from AFL.com

So being able to trade up in the draft, Essendon will be able to go to a club like GWS and offer up a player like Joe Danaher or Watson and picks 60 and 61 and receive pick 1 in the draft.
Both those players are off to Sydney Chooka

cheesy.gif Yes as I have read on this forum. Goddard was chasing a grand final medal also, maybe he will jump ship again.

Edited by chooka

Going to be a big weekend for 5 teams and their supporters. Personally I think only two are in the mix for a finals berth being Carlton and North tho.

With the previously seventh-placed Bombers now consigned to ending the season in ninth place, a spot has been vacated for one of five clubs.

The contenders for an unprecedented finals wildcard are Carlton, the Brisbane Lions, North Melbourne, Adelaide or West Coast.

Going to be a big weekend for 5 teams and their supporters. Personally I think only two are in the mix for a finals berth being Carlton and North tho.

With the previously seventh-placed Bombers now consigned to ending the season in ninth place, a spot has been vacated for one of five clubs.

The contenders for an unprecedented finals wildcard are Carlton, the Brisbane Lions, North Melbourne, Adelaide or West Coast.

I didn't consider that in my tipping...I only thought about Brissie and Carlton. blink.png Of course now that you point it out I can see that if Carlton and Brissie lose, the others can make it.

North are well placed. Good percentage. Ability to beat Collingwood. Now I understand Ripstanleys picks... he is looking at some motivated teams

cheesy.gif Yes as I have read on this forum. Goddard was chasing a grand final medal also, maybe he will jump ship again.

Just remember that, when it happens wink.pngtongue.png

If it's on TV, it must be true.... right? hahahah

U have got me excited now thinking about Watson.

Do you believe the rumour that Goddard is going back to the Saints?

We don't want him back. Just heard on the radio tho that Sydney may be speaking to Essendon about players in exchange for draft picks. They were also saying that other clubs may be approaching them also and that the players maybe able to leave.

post-122647-0-65593600-1377677680_thumb.

• Like 1

We don't want him back. Just heard on the radio tho that Sydney may be speaking to Essendon about players in exchange for draft picks. They were also saying that other clubs may be approaching them also and that the players maybe able to leave.

w00t.gif

Jobe Watson in the red and white! On yer bike Goodesy!